Final

Broken Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Mommy, will you tuck me in tonight?" 

Softly setting the last of the dishes from dinner into the kitchen sink, I turned to the wide-eyed girl standing in the doorway. Spaghetti sauce stained her chin and the front of her Spongebob t-shirt. 

I pretended to think and purse my lips with my hands situated on my hips. "Now, I seem to recall my grown-up daughter telling me that she was a big girl now and didn't need to be tucked...when was that? Oh, last night I do believe."

My daughter's eyes went downcast, looking embarrassed that she had gone back on her word. I merely sniggered and went and picked her up under the armpits. "Let's get you a bath first and Mommy will tuck you in nice and tight," I told her, starting down the hall. "If you're lucky, I may read you a bedtime story."

The little one cheered as I went about preparing her bath and toys she could happily drown in the suds. Before long, she was happily splashing away, blabbing in her own little kid language and attempting to soak me entirely. By the time she was clean, she had worn herself out and was yawning as I carried her to the bedroom, wrapped in a towel fresh from the dryer.

"You want to pick a book for me to read you?" I asked her as I wrestled her into princess pajamas. Adamantly, she shook her head, sending specks of water around the room. "You don't want a bedtime story?"

"I want you to make one up like Daddy always did when he tucked me in," she said matter-of-factly.

Hit unexpectedly by her words, it took me a moment to recuperate and nod in agreement. "Okay." I swallowed back the unwelcome tears that welled up as I finished dressing her and putting her under the blankets in her toddler bed. Climbing onto the covers beside her, I cleared my throat and began my story. "Once upon a time, in a far away kingdom, there lived a handsome prince—"

"Oh! What was his name?"

I paused for a moment, glancing at the picture on her bedside table. "His name was Sehun," I replied.

"That's Daddy's name!" she exclaimed in disbelief.

"Well, lots of princes have that name," I argued back. "Anyway, Sehun was super smart but his father wanted him to work on the farm—"

"W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter