Insecurity and Assurance

Insecurity and Assurance


While waiting for news about their upcoming comeback, Kwangmin browsed the internet for
random news about the K-Pop industry. He then accidentally came across random facts that a fan has uploaded through a blog.

"Facts about Boyfriend", the younger of the twins read when he opened the post. He mumbled comments whether the listed things were true or not, until he came across the last item.

The last item topic read, ‘In Boyfriend, only Donghyun, Jeongmin, Youngmin and Minwoo have dating experience.

This made Kwangmim pause because while he knew it was true, it made him remember an instance during his early teenage years about Youngmin and a girl he dated.

“You wanna play, Kwangmin? Mario Kart's on.” asked Minwoo when he entered the room the twins shared with Hyunseong. 

“Yeah, I'll join you guys in a bit.”

“What are you doing?”

“Ah, ani... I was just reading.”

Minwoo tilted his head then plopped down next to Kwangmin and read what was on the screen.

“Something wrong?”

“Not really but... I just remembered when Youngmin dated a girl from his class. It lasted about a few days then suddenly, they weren't together anymore. Hyung never told me why they broke up, though. That day was a bit fuzzy and all I remember was Youngmin crying and saying 'sorry' over and over.”

“Ah, so... you wanna know?”

“...I guess.”

The maknae studied Kwangmin's features then hummed when he seemed to have discovered something.

“Could it be that you feel insecure after reading that article?”

“Aish, I'm not insecure just...”

“Worried, then?”

When Kwangmin didn't respond, Minwoo patted his shoulder as he stood up.

“I'll ask him for you. It's been years so I hope Youngmin-ah still remembers, knowing how much of an old man he is”, the Maknae snickered at his own joke while Kwangmin chuckled.

“You do realize that you're also calling me an old man, right?”

“Eh, you don't count. You're 6 minutes younger.”  

Minwoo left with a laugh as he looked for Youngmin whom he found lounging at the sala while watching Donghyun, Hyunseong and Jeongmin play Mario Kart. The group's maknae sat next to his target who was laughing at Donghyun's misfortune after his character fell off Rainbow Road.

“Was Kwangmin asleep?”

“Nope, he was reading M-Net news.”

“Arasso.”

“Can I ask you something, Hyung?”

“Depends. If it's Kwangmin's three sizes then nope.”


“Yah! Like I care about that! ...Well, I do but not in the same way as you, you !”

“Who're you calling a , you midget?”

-“Yah!”- Both Minwoo and Jeongmin exclaimed. Jeongmin even threw the cushion he had at Youngmin.

“I didn't mean you, Hyung, mianhae." the tallest among the three said. When Jeongmin returned his attention to the game, the older of the twins shifted his gaze to Minwoo who was pouting while fiddling with his phone.

“What was it that you wanted to ask?”

“I read a blog post earlier and read an article there about random facts about us that a fan posted. Remember when you dated a girl when you were younger?”

“Yeah, why? Ah, wait, I'm thirsty.”

Youngmin stood up and Minwoo followed him to the kitchen. While the taller male pulled out his juice, the shorter sat on one of the chairs.

“What about the girl?”

“Hmm... I was just wondering what happened. You never told us the reason why you broke up with her.”

“Ah, I didn't tell you?”

“Not any of us, I think, unless you told Kwangmin?” Minwoo asked in a completely innocent tone and noticed that Youngmin stiffened a bit at the mention of the younger twin.

“I never told him either. Aish, why the sudden interest?”

“Can you tell me now? I told you guys why my date didn't work out, so it's only fair if you tell me now.”

“I guess so.” Youngmin poured himself a glass of juice and drank it to quench his thirst.

“So...?”

“Well, I just wanted to try what it was like to date. It lasted around a week, I think. Four or five days?”

“Oh, what happened?”

Youngmin heaved a deep breath then looked at the carton of his juice and leaned against the counter.

“We saw each other on a daily basis because we were classmates but we didn't spend much time together. We were supposed to go on a date one time, but she said that I wasn't paying full attention to her while we were on the way to the cafe. I told her that Kwangmin was sick and there was no one at home because our parents were out of town while Hyunmin was at school. She made me choose between her and Kwangmin after I told her why I couldn't concentrate.
She said she didn't want to have to share my attention when we were on a date.”

“Omo...”

“I couldn't really blame her for what happened but it still didn't sit right with me so right then and there, I broke up with her.”

“...What did you tell her?”

“I told her that there's no way I could continue being with someone who couldn't understand me, especially at a time like that. I can always go on a date with anyone when the time comes, but I only have one twin brother. She cried and said that I was supposed to choose her because she's my date. 

Like, she was just a girl from my class whom I knew, while Kwangmin's Kwangmin. He's my one and only younger twin brother in the whole world. He's literally my other half and someone whom I knew my whole life so I don't know why she expected that I'll choose her over Kwangmin. I didn't even have to think and weigh options before I gave her my answer, you know?”

“Wow, that's harsh.”

“I know, that's probably the first time I made a girl cry on my own decision. Kwangmin was sick and had no one to take care of him so I thought that it was only justified that I snapped like that. I mean, sure, my date's important but more than anyone else, Kwangmin comes first. If my date couldn't understand that then there was no point.

After that, I ran back home. You know what I found? Kwangmin passed out on the floor by the stairs. I can't explain how I felt after seeing him lying unconscious on the floor. I was scared out of my wits and worried that something bad happened to him. I felt like I failed as the older twin and that I failed to protect him. I shouldn't even have left in the first
place...” Youngmin let go of the juice carton and placed it on the counter when he heard it crunch, having unknowingly clenched it within his fist.

“How was Kwangmin?”

“After I brought him back to our room, he gained consciousness. He said he was going upstairs after getting a drink but he -out. He said he never made it to the first step so he didn't fall down the stairs. I was relieved when I heard that but I still felt horrible. Kwangmin asked me what I was doing there when I was supposed to be on a date and that my date would be mad that I was at home to take care of him so I should hurry to the meeting place because he said he'd be fine.

I cried at that. To see and hear my dongsaeng act tough when he was sick enough to pass out... I don't know how many times I apologized to him that day.

More than that disaster of a date, I felt a lot sadder that my dongsaeng had to suffer a couple of his sick-hours alone in an empty house. From then, I decided not to go on any dates with anyone who won't be able to understand how much my younger twin means to me.”

Minwoo couldn't help but smile at Youngmin's declaration.

“More like you stopped dating altogether.”

“Eh, I didn't have the time and no one really caught my attention after that. Besides, it's more fun to hang out between the six of us and well, I have Kwangmin so...”

“You never told Kwangmin what happened?”

“No, you know him. He'd cry. I didn't want him to feel miserable so I didn't tell him.”

Minwoo nodded but inwardly flinched. He then stood up and gestured to the sala, wanting to escape the older Jo twin.

“Thanks for telling me, Hyung. I never knew you were actually a sensible human being.”

“Yah-”

“I'll just go and play Mario Kart, okay?” 

The group's maknae ran out of the dining area then halted when he saw the person whom he regretted calling down.

“Kwangmin-ah...”

The younger twin had a small, sad smile as he looked at Minwoo.

“M-Mianhe... I shouldn't have...”

“It's alright. I also wanted to know... I just never thought that I was the reason why Youngmin didn't date again...”

“It wasn't your fault.”

Both males turned to the source of the voice and saw Youngmin standing by the dining room.

“Youngmin-hyung...” Minwoo started but Youngmin shook his head.

“I realized just now when Minwoo escaped that there was something wrong.” The oldest among the three approached his younger twin and held his hand.

“Come with me for a bit, okay, Kwang? Minwoo, tell the Hyungs that we just went out for a bit.”

Minwoo nodded and watched as the twins went out through the backdoor. The twins walked through the night's breeze with each lost into their own thoughts until they reached the park where they sat on the double swings back-to-back.

“It wasn't your fault that I stopped dating, you know. It was something I decided by myself. I figured that other people wouldn't be able to relate to or understand.”

“If I hadn't gotten sick-”

“I'd still have broken up with her. I wasn't... all there for that date. I just really wanted to try how it was like. We also didn't get along well so I couldn't see that last. Besides, I've had someone in my mind even before her, but he's someone who meant a lot to me so I couldn't act on it back then because I didn't know if it was right or if it would've gone well. Do you know who I'm talking about?” Youngmin asked in a teasing tone in an attempt to lighten up the atmosphere but Kwangmin remained down.

The older twin sighed then held the younger's hand and leaned back against him. Kwangmin returned both gestures, feeling comforted by his brother.

“You really don't mind me being me?”

“What do you mean?”

“I meant, me being 4D and... not a girl?”

“Being 4D's actually your charm, aside from being an innocent airhead.”

“Ai... you complimented me then insulted me. Here I thought that you were being romantic.”

“I'm just saying the truth and I don't really care that you're a guy. You're still you. Heck, you could've been Pikachu for all I care and I really like how you're high-tension and energetic. It's cute to see you moving about and dancing and doing whatever it was you wanted. And well, compared to me, you're totally innocent and I also like that about you.”

“That's because you're a .” Kwangmin chuckled while Youngmin smiled after managing to uplift the shorter male's mood.

“Yeah, yeah. I guess I won't lose that title.”

“Mhmm. Hey, Youngmin?”

“Hm?”

“Thanks.”

“For what?”

“For choosing me when you have thousands of fan-girls who'd be more than willing to be your special person.”

“Aish... Didn't you hear what I told Minwoo earlier?” Youngmin stood up, rounded the swings and knelt down in front of Kwangmin who was surprised of the sudden movement.

“You mean the world to me, Jo Kwangmin. Of course I'll choose you more than anyone else.” The taller male seriously declared.

Kwangmin suddenly leaned forward and gently pressed his lips against Youngmin's before he skipped away. The younger male paused a couple of steps away from his twin before he turned around with a grin.

“Jo Youngmin, saranghae~” Kwangmin made a heart with his arms over his head before he ran away with a laugh. Youngmin chuckled as he stood up.

“Yah! Get back here!”

Both twins ended up running after each other toward their shared house. All the other members just blinked at the twins who were laughing as they sprawled down the porch. Minwoo, on the other hand, was glad and relieved that the twins were in a good mood despite the heavy topic from earlier.

Youngmin and Kwangmin both laughed as they tried to catch their breath while sprawled on the porch. They exchanged smiles and knew that they will be alright no matter what they faced because they were together.