1: Buzzcut Season

The Realm (collection of shorts & drabbles)
Please log in to read the full chapter

"I should run away." Taeyong said, it was after school and he was sitting on a bench at the park, Doyoung was sprawled face up on the grass.

 

"Where would you go?" Doyoung batted the setting sun from his eyes with the back of his hand but other than that stayed still.

 

Taeyong thought about it for a while, he was still a senior in High School, not even a diploma at hand to help him out. "Anywhere, I just hate not being able to do anything. I don't want to go home." He said as he dropped his head on the table and groaned.

 

"Living on your own isn't easy... but it isn't too bad, I guess." Doyoung said, closing his eyes humming. "You don't have a job though. You should get a job."

 

"I need a diploma first." Taeyong hated the thought of having to continue living in that house until graduation. "That's six months away."

 

Doyoung turned his face towards the other but didn't open his eyes, "Six months go by really quickly."

 

"Not quick enough." Taeyong knew it was useless to complain about it, but he didn't know what else to do. "My mom threw the last plate we had at me this morning, said I would end up in jail sooner or later and that I was just messing around at school." He played with the pockets of his backpack as he spoke, trying to overrun the depressing thoughts with anger. "I don't even care what she says but it still hurts."

 

"I told you if it gets to be too much you can stay at my apartment, at least until you're able to hold up on your own." Doyoung didn't know what else to say, family matters were a sticky subject for him. He had been over at Taeyong’s house once before, but it was enough to never want to go there again.

 

Taeyong realized that he had brought down the mood with his family talk again and sighed. "Thanks, hopefully that won't be needed." The last thing he wanted was to be indebted to his only friend, as if moping about life to him wasn't bad enough. "How many days are you getting off work?" He opted to change the subject, Winter holidays were nearing, not that they celebrated any. "Must be good to not have to work for a while."

 

Doyoung laughed as if that was a sad story, "Not really, no work means no pay. It's only one week though so it's not so bad."

 

"Maybe you'll get promoted as the manager sometime, then you could make money even if you're not there."

 

"That wouldn't be fair to the workers though, would it?"

 

"No, but they wouldn't have to know..." After he said it, Taeyong saw Doyoung roll his eyes a little. "What? It's not like it's never been done before."

 

"Whatever, I don't want to work at a convenience store my whole life."

 

Taeyong agreed with him, even if he were given the highest position at one of those places, he knew it would still be a boring job.

 

"How about we finally do a séance during winter break? You know, it could be interesting." That was one thing that Taeyong and Doyoung had in common, they both were interested in all things supernatural, amongst other things.

 

"But not at my apartment, what if the door to the other world really does open? I don't want to take any chances."

 

"Spirits can't hurt you." Taeyong smiled, knowing well that Doyoung was spooked easily. "They can scare you, yeah of course but they're harmless."

 

"Not in my apartment."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Finally decided to come home?" Taeyong’s mom greeted him with the usual angry remark. "Get your lazy over

Please log in to read the full chapter