To You...

Because I Do
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wake up even before my phone alarm rings. I feel so thirsty so i decided to grab a glass of water in the kitchen. And after i satisfy my thirst, i decided to go back to sleep but unfortunately i find it hard to do it. I keep tossing around on my bed for God knows how long. So i ended up sitting on my bed instead, leaning my back on the bed rest behind me with my iPhone in my hand. I open my SNS and mindlessly scrolling through pictures that my friends posted. My hand make an abrupt stop as i see a certain picture. 

There she is.. The same familiar cute baby face that smiling beautifully at the camera. I thought she dyed her hair brown, but now her hair is all black again with front bangs covering her forehead that added more youth to her already so young face. It reminds me of the younger version of her that i first met in school.

My lips unconsciously twitched as i see her bright smile. But my smile turned into a frown a second later once i realized that she's not alone in the frame. There's someone beside her, smiling along with her with their cheeks pressed closely against each other's as he bends his body to match her height. I can see how she slings her right hand around that person's waist, while that person circling his arm around Yoojung's shoulder. Yes, her name is Yoojung. Choi Yoojung. A name that i think will forever engraved in my heart. Subconsciously i clenched my hands into a fist. I used to hug her like that too. She's a perfect size for me to hug. 

I dislike how they looked so close. And even though i hate to admit it, they look cute together. I can't help but feel a pang of jealousy rising inside of me. I know i don't have any right to feel so. I don't have any reason to feel jealous. I thought i already move on from her but guess i'm wrong.

 

"Is he your new boyfriend? I thought you're still with Jay. Since when my cute innocent baby become this dangerous playgirl?" I bitterly chuckled.

 

"But you look happy, Yoodaeng-ah. That's all matters. I'll be alright as long as you're happy." I whispered weakly. But who am i kidding? If it's really alright, then why am i crying right now? If it's only her happiness that matters to me, why i'm so in pain? Because deep down inside i know i'm still hoping to be the reason of her happiness.

 

"God, i missed you. I missed us." I sob harder as the memories of us replayed in my mind like an old movie that i have watched for thousands time.

 

(Flashback)

 

"Yah, Kim Doyeon. It's lunch time. What are you doing in here?" A short cute girl with  front bangs asked to the taller, way taller girl than her who sits on one of the chair inside the Sociology classroom. There are not so many students inside the class at this hour, only few who are still inside the class doing things because it's lunch time now and most of the students must be in the school canteen.

 

"I need to review this, Yoojung-ah. Sociology's exam is waiting after this lunch break." Doyeon answered without raising her head from the book that she read.

 

"Stop overworking yourself, you giant!" Yoojung reprimanded and knocked Doyeon's head when she's standing right beside the girl. Since Doyeon is sitting right now, Yoojung can easily abuse her friend's head, because if in their normal situation, there's no way for Yoojung to reach her friend's head. Yeah, their height difference is pretty 'severe'.. 156cm and 170cm.

 

"Aish, stop hitting me! Why you're so abusive lately?"

 

"Do you even have the right to ask that? You are the one who always abused me! And i only learned from you."

 

"Haish. Whatever. Now go. I need to concentrate." Doyeon said and averted her gaze back to her Sociology textbook.

 

"You have learned enough, Kim Doyeon! Last night we reviewed it together for hours, you even taught me some difficult points that i didn't understand. Even after we bid good night, i know you weren't directly go to bed like i did. You have learned enough. Now it's lunch time. Lunch! Means eating! Not studying! You'll fall sick at this rate if you keep skipping meals just because we're in our exam period. Why it's so hard for you to understand? Why you're so frustrating?! I'm just one month older than you for God's sake and yet it feels like i'm 10 years older than you and i always have to take care a giant baby like you." Yoojung rants out with her rapid speaking, her face also turned red because of her anger and also lack of breathing since she only keeps talking. But no matter what she says, no matter what she do, she'll still look as cute as ever. Now the shorter girl is panting heavily after she finished ranting out whatever things she wanted to tell her stubborn bestfriend.

 

In the other hand, Doyeon who get reprimanded by her friend just kept watching Yoojung in amusement. There's no fear or whatsoever when her friend scolding her. Even when Yoojung ended her 'speech', Doyeon has a stupid silly grin plastered on her face.

 

"WHY YOU'RE SMILING CREEPILY LIKE THAT?!" Yoojung shouted with the remaining energy left in her small body, flailing her hands in obvious frustration. Now she feels even more hungry since she used lots of energy, trying to knock some senses into her friend's thick hard skull head.

 

Instead of answering her friend's question, Doyeon stood up from her chair and swiftly pulled Yoojung into her embrace.

 

"I'm sorry.. And thank you." Doyeon whispered right beside Yoojung's ear and hugged the girl tighter before she let go.

 

Doyeon stretched out her right hand and open up her palm. "Let's go eat?" Doyeon invited with a charming smile of hers. Yoojung huffed, causing her bangs to slightly blown by it before she takes Doyeon's hand and walked toward the school canteen with her best friend hand in hand.

***

 

"Here." Doyeon who is busy typing on her laptop have to lifted up her head after she saw a small box of kimbab placed on her table.

 

"What is this?" Doyeon asked and meet the person's eyes, which no other than her smol best friend, Choi Yoojung.

 

"Food. Eat." Yoojung demandingly said and pushed the box closer toward Doyeon.

 

"I don’t remember asking you to get me this, Yoodaengie." Doyeon said in confusion.

 

"I buy it for you. Just eat it! You skipped your lunch again because of this stupid Geography project."

 

"Yaaahh~" Doyeon quickly stood up from her chair and covered Yoojung's mouth using her palm. "Don't say things like that so loudly. If Mr. Jang heard you said his subject is stupid, he's so going to give you an F for the project without having a second thought, you crazy midget." Doyeon said in panic and look around to make sure that there's no Mr. Jang near them. So there's no possibility for him to overheard what her best friend just said. Doyeon doesn't want Yoojung to get a bad mark just because of her recklessness.

 

"Fine. I'm sorry. I'll be more careful in speaking next time. It just upset me seeing you like this. Now eat. This kimbab is your favorite, right?"

 

Doyeon's panic expression gradually turned into a calmer one as she realized what Yoojung did for her. She smiles genuinely at the latter and patted her head. The way Doyeon looks at Yoojung right now make Yoojung want to run and hide because she can feel the warmth that start to creeping to her face.

 

"Thank you. What can i do without you, Choi Yoojung?" 

 

"Nothing. You obviously can't function well since you without me is just a plain DoBingu! (Dumb Doyeon)." Yoojung shouted and then run.

 

"Yah!"

 

Doyeon is always a hard worker. She's normally a diligent student and also clever because of the big effort she always put into her study while Yoojung more laid back, more carefree but also naturally smart. She never work hard as hard as Doyeon but she always able to bring herself as one of the top students when it comes to academy. Doyeon usually will always two or three rank higher than her.

Lately Doyeon studied even harder than before because they are in their exam period. Both Doyeon and Yoojung are in the final year of their high school, and Doyeon particularly work her off because she has a dream to get into a very prestigious university in Seoul. If she wants to make her dream come true, she needs to prepare herself for ovecoming, no, mastering every exams that awaiting in front of her.

Yoojung on the other hand, also planning to go to the same university with her best friend because she doesn't fond of the idea getting separated with her best friend, as childish as it might sounds. Besides the university where Doyeon wants to enter also provide the major that she wants to get in which is Intenational Relationship. Yoojung always have a dream since she was a little kid to explore the world. She wants to visit new places, making memories in those different places for as many as she can make because she only live once. If it's not in this lifetime, when she could do it right? While Doyeon is a more practical person. She wants to be a great lawyer just like her mother.

 

But it's isn't life if it never ed up, right?

 

One day Yoojung came to Doyeon's house, all drenched from head to toe since it's raining heavily outside, causing Doyeon who opened the door for her have to gasped in surprise seeing her best friend in that state before she quickly pulled the girl in.

 

"Yaah, what's wrong with you?" Doyeon wanted to sternly scold her best friend but her scold somehow sounds more like a desperate whine because her worries is overweighting her complaints. Yoojung refused to say a word, she just keep looking at Doyeon with her unreadable expression. Doyeon sighed for the nth times that day and softly pulled her friend to the living room. She then makes Yoojung to sit on the sofa while she runs back to her room to take a dry towel and new clothes for Yoojung to change.

 

Just around 2 minutes, Doyeon already stand in front of Yoojung again. Wordlessly she used the white towel in her hand to drying Yoojung's hair and body.

"Here. Change your clothes with these and give me your wet clothes afterwards." Doyeon said and handed her clothes to Yoojung. Yoojung nodded and get inside the bathroom to change her clothes.

 

Few minutes later she walked back toward the living room and sit beside Doyeon who's already preparing a cup of hot chocolate for her.

 

"Drink up, kiddo." Doyeon said and pointed at the cup. "Be careful, it's still hot."

 

Yoojung slowly take a sip of the hot chocolate and gulped it down.

 

"Okay, so now you may talk. What's wrong?" Doyeon asked concernly as she scooted closer to her best friend, ready to give the comfort for Yoojung anytime it's needed. Because she knows that something is not right here. With Yoojung's sudden visit like this. And honestly speaking, it kinda scares her but of course she masked it. She doesn't want to add more burden for Yoojung.

 

"T-they divorced.." Doyeon's eyes widen in surprise once the words left Yoojung's mouth. Even though there is no name mentioned, Doyeon already understand who are 'they' that Yoojung referred to.

Right before a lone tear fall from Yoojung's eye, Doyeon already lunged herself forward and wrapping her arms around Yoojung so tightly as she keeps pempering Yoojung's head with kisses, hoping they will somehow soothing her and lessen the pain.

 

"I'm so sorry." Doyeon said. Her right hand keep Yoojung's hair.

 

"I choose him. And we'll leave Korea in three days. I'm sorry." Now Doyeon is torn between two. She has to stop Yoojung from crying, she has to consoled her, but now she also have to find a way to stop herself from crying. But she failed. Doyeon could feel how her vision get blurred as her eyes filled with her fresh warm tears. She bites her lower lip hard to prevent her sob. But of course Yoojung knows. She knows Doyeon very well, just like how Doyeon knows her very well.

 

"You know it's okay to cry, Dodojjyu. It's okay, just let it out. You can rant on me, you can curse at me, you can hit me, do it. Don't hold them in because it won't do any good for you." Yoojung softly said as she patted Doyeon's back.

Just how fast the table turned. Just a minute ago, it's Doyeon who be the strong pillar to hold Yoojung from crumbling down. But now, it's the smaller girl who hold Doyeon firmly just so she won't break down. Yoojung keeps patting Doyeon's back softly and pushed the taller girl to leaned into her embrace more. She knows that as much as the news hurt her, it'll hurt Doyeon more.

Because they have this dream.. a dream where the two of them could fulfill the dream of their life, together. No one get left behind. But now, seems like one will leave first and leave the another one behind.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter