The Book

The Book

/The Book/ Satzu

 

I stood under a tall, strong tree, leaning against its trunk. A soft breeze and sound of nature. I flipped the pages of the book in my hand, reading word by word, indulging in the story.

 

“Tzuyu!” I look up and saw my beloved running towards me.

 

I mark the page where I stopped and closed the book.

 

“Don’t run, be careful.” I shouted back, afraid that she will trip on her way here. Her clumsiness is unrivalled. None can defeat her. It seems that she heard me as she start to walk to me instead. I shake my head and smile at her. That woman, is she really older than me?

 

“Tzuyu, what are you doing here?” she asked as she stand beside me and pinch my cheeks. My poor cheeks are probably all worn out with her constantly pinch them.

 

“I was just reading a book.” I replied as I remove her hands from my cheeks and hold them while looking at her eyes. Her eyes, so soft and endearing. They have the power to draw me into them, forgetting what I was doing.

 

“Unnie, do you need something?”

 

“Stop calling me unnie, I told you that last week!”

 

“Alright, love.” I grin as I observe her reaction to the endearment. Her cheeks were slightly pink and her eyes looking down. Her alluring lip biting enticing me to… Ahem, I better stop here.

 

She look up and pout, “Can’t I look for you without wanting anything?”

 

“You can, love.” I smirk. “Stop pouting or do I have to kiss it away?” I raise my eyebrow and my lips.

 

She turn away and squat down, hiding her face with her hands. I copy her actions, minus the face hiding and gave her a back hug. “Are you hungry?” She nods. I stand up and help her up. “Let’s go to the cafeteria, love.” I said and hold her hand, leading her to the cafeteria.

 

“Love, what do you want to eat today?”

 

“Hmm, maeuntang!” I chuckle at her reply. Her usual selection.

 

“Okay love, take a sit. I’ll go get the food.” She nods and skip to an empty table.

 

I walk to the stall and ordered her food. I took the tray and some utensils and walk towards her. I place her food on the table and took the tray back to the stall.

 

She look at me with her big sparkling eyes as I sit down beside her. “What about you? Not eating?”

 

“I am.”

 

“You didn’t buy anything for yourself.”

“Because I am having you for lunch.” I wink and internally vomiting from my cheesy reply.

 

She freeze for a moment. “Hello Sana, are you there?” I wave my hands in front of her and poke her occasionally. She snap back to reality and push me away with her index finger on my forehead.

 

“Go get your food” She commanded. I smile at her commanding tone and stole her lips.

 

“I ate earlier and your lips are delicious.” I stick my tongue out as I reply.

 

She nod in understanding, hiding the fact that she was embarrassed by my action. Her pink cheeks, however, gave her away. These small actions always made her blush.

 

I continued to read my book as she eat her food.

 

“Ahhhhh” I look up and see that she held a spoon in front of me, filled with the spicy broth and some rice. Her other hand below the spoon in case the broth over flow and drip on my book. I took a bite from the spoon and pat her on her head, gesturing her to eat.

 

She finished her food and we head out to the garden. We took a sit on a bench near a small pond.

 

“Tzuyu, I have something to tell you.” I look at her with curiosity. I close my book and place it down beside me.

 

She took a deep breath and broke the news. “I am going back to Japan.”

 

“What? Please say it again.” My eyes full of worry, my mind in chaos. Why is she leaving?

 

“I am going back to Japan.”

 

“Will you come back?”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“What about us?”

 

“I don’t think that I am ready for a long distance relationship. Let’s break up.”

 

That three word. The words that I did not want to listen to. The words that I hoped will never have to hear. “I understand.” I swallowed my saliva and stood up, walking away from her. I hear her sobbing. I looked up at the sky as I walk, tears flowing down from my eyes. This was inevitable. She had to leave.

 

 

Weeks later…

 

“Tzuyu, you have a letter!”

 

I walk towards the living room and sat comfortably on the sofa. I opened up the letter and read it.

 

Dear Tzuyu,

 

It have been 3 weeks since I left. I miss you. I have not gotten over you and I still love you. I just want to let you know that I am coming back to Korea. If you still love me, please go to the bench where we broke up on xx/xx/xxxx. I will be there waiting for you.

 

 

Love you,

Sana

 

I stood up abruptly and look at the date on my phone. It’s today. I dash to the doorstep and slip on my shoes. I ran to the location where she said she will be at.

 

I see her, sitting on the bench, facing the pond. She was holding the book I left on the bench on that day. As I get closer, I slow down and caught my breath. I walk towards her and sat beside her.

 

“Hey, you are here.” she said.

 

“I am here.”

 

 

-

Comments are appreciated :)