Final

Just a Game

 

 
“Jackson, come on. Just try it.” Bambam says, already reaching for Jackson's laptop. 

“What the hell, Bam?” Jackson sighs, “Just go to school, alright? I’ll play it, alright?” Jackson says with a calm, almost fatherly tone.  

“Fine.” Bambam pouts, jumping off the table next to where Jackson was sitting.

After Bambam leaves, Jackson sighs, getting up from his kitchen table. Realizing that his younger friend hadn't had the courtesy to place his dishes into the sink, Jackson sighs again, placing the dishes on the counter before taking his laptop. Unsurprisingly, a file was already on his screen. Jackson mentally cringed at the name, painted in bright pink and red letters.

A boy was on the title screen. The scantily clad boy seemed almost real, as if they used a real person. 

Jackson pressed start nonetheless, figuring the makers of the game were too lazy to draw out the figures, opting to use photographs of people instead. 

The game flashed to black before opening to the sight of a young man in a white room. Jackson figured that they had actually used a videotape instead. 

“Hi,” the male’s voice was deep and soft, making it difficult for Jackson to hear the male’s voice even though it was nearly completely silent. “I'm Mark… what's your name?” 

Jackson had expected for a screen to pop up, telling for him to insert his name. The young man stared back, awaiting Jackson’s reply. He sighed, plugging his earbuds into his laptop. 

“Um, can you hear me?” Jackson asks awkwardly, not expecting a response. 

“Yes.” Mark’s face brightened.

“My name is Jackson. Nice to meet you?” The aforementioned male says.

“Yes, hello.” The young man says. 

“Is there a way to select topics or something?” Jackson mumbles to himself. 

“Ah yes, let me pull up the hub.” Mark says. Only mere seconds afterwards, buttons popped onto the screen. 

Jackson moves his cursor onto the nearest button. 

In bold letters encircled by two rounded boxes, he sees the two topics to choose. 

Either about Mark himself, or he'd have to flirt. 

“What do you do for a living?” Jackson asks hesitantly.

“I finished college quite recently, so I'm working as an intern.” Mark speaks softly. “How about you.”

“I also graduated college recently, so…” Jackson says. 

“Of course, I am just a fictional character anyway.” Mark mumbles, not nearly loud enough for Jackson to hear him. 


An entire day passed by without Jackson realizing. He'd talked to Mark almost the entire day. Sure, he was programmed to be that way. But Jackson thought it was actually real. 

His heart’s palpitations beat almost painfully in his chest as he continues 
lusting for a fictional character. He hadn't realized that he'd actually fallen for the fictional character. 

Unlike his friends’ so-called “waifus,” he didn't want to release his ized yet lustful “love” onto the boy. Jackson wanted to reach into the screen, and pull the boy out for him. 

The entire house fell painfully silent as Jackson waited for the allotted time to roll around, waiting for Mark to come back to him. 

“Jackson?” Bambam asked as he entered his friend’s and his own apartment. He had been especially cautious as he wanted to see if his friend play the game. “What… what happened?” Bambam stuttered out when he saw the condition of his friend’s room. 

Jackson knew full well that the game was a bit too controlling of him, but with this simulation of sorts, he felt like he was on the same level as Mark unlike how he somehow always felt inferior to every one of his friends or former friends. An inferiority complex as his friends had described. 

The sound of footsteps neared Jackson’s messy room as he lied in petrified horror.

“Jackson… Hyeong?” Bambam asked, even sprinkling in the Korean honorific he was supposed to use, but never actually did. 

“I’m… I’m fine.” Jackson responded shortly. “Am I?” 

“What was that?” The Thai boy asked, not quite hearing what his friend had said last. 

“It's nothing.” Jackson muttered, sitting up. He forced a soft smile. “Sorry my room’s so messy. I didn't think you'd come back so early.” 

“Jackson,” Bambam began. “I'm on time if not later than usual. Is something wrong?” 

The older of the two looked down, nodding softly. He heaved in a breath. 

“M’fine.” He muttered softly.

Hyeong.” Bambam repeated, snapping his fingers at his older friend. “Just because I mess around with you doesn't mean I don't care about you… tell me what's wrong?” Bambam said in the tone of how a parent would reprimand their child. 

“I…” Jackson bit his bottom lip. “I played your stupid game.” 

“That's… that’s it?” Bambam asked, smiling softly. “Gosh, you should’ve told me. I thought something was seriously wrong.”

Something was wrong. Even as Jackson was a grown adult, he should've known that Mark was fake, just some young, handsome man stuck in a game. 

“But…” Bambam began once more, frowning slightly. “Did something happen with the game?” 

“Is it bad to feel something for something that’s not real? More specifically, something you know isn't real?” Jackson asked softly. 

“Well, it depends I guess. How do you feel towards… it?” 

Jackson looked up at his friend, smiling softly once more. “No, it's nothing. Alright? Let's just move on from this conversation, okay?”

When Jackson made eye contact with his younger friend, Bambam knew to stop talking.

“Let's dip.” Bambam said after a few beats of silence. 

“Hold on, I have to go take a piss. I'll meet you outside.” Jackson responded. 

The younger male waited for his friend to leave, kneading his hands together. 

“When will you notice how I feel?” He whispered softly and exited the apartment complex. 

~~

“Hey, I haven't talked to you in a while, but I really miss you.” Bambam said to himself, his hand hovering over Jackson’s contact on his phone. “Hey, I know we haven't spoken in a long time, but I really want to see you again. No… Hey. I really miss you… do you want to meet up? No.”

He gave up, turning his phone off before cradling his head in his hands. He cursed to himself, missing his old friend too much. 

Bambam turned his phone back on, going to their old text messages. The last of their conversations dating back to three years ago. 

Jackson, I don't know if you changed phone numbers or if you'll even see this, but I'm sorry if I did anything wrong, but I need to see you again. 

He paused, hesitating to send the message. Quickly, he closed his eyes, his hand hovering over the send button before swiftly bringing his finger down, sending the text message to his friend. In an instant, a wave of relief and regret flushed through his veins, causing him to sigh. 

He actually didn't expect a reply until his phone chimed. 

It's still me, Bam. I want 2 c u 2.

The two simple sentences made Bambam’s heart flutter. He'd always remember his friend’s ways of contracting his sentences, albeit oddly at times. He hadn't even realized he'd been typing in a response already. 

He turned his phone off, his heart filled with joy. 

@ the park nearby our old dorm?

Bambam smiled widely, a light blush making its way onto his cheeks. 

I'll c u there in 5

The young Thai man suddenly frowned, realizing he didn't have enough time to even get his hair ready. 

Jk, I meant an hour

Bambam nodded, happy that he could see his friend either way. He cheered to himself, nearly jumping up for joy. 

~~

After their plight in the park nearby, the two stopped.

Bambam hadn't expected to run home crying because of his friend. Despite the fact that they both had changed greatly since first meeting, Jackson said he'd found who he was looking for. In that wretched game Bambam had so foolishly given to his friend. 

~~

“So what's wrong?” Bambam asked as the two of them walked out, roaming through the nearby park. 

“I told you, it's nothing.” Jackson said while laughing. 

“Hey, to whomst are you in reference?” Bambam asked, pretending to sound posh and sophisticated,

“God, not this.” Jackson smiled widely. “But it's actually whomst’d’ve’d—”

“Dude, you told me to stop using this stupid or whatever, so stop.” Bambam said, laughing. 

“Aw man, you know I love you, man.” Jackson said facetiously. 

Bambam stopped dead in his tracks, blushing. 

“Bam?” Jackson asked when he noticed his friend was no longer next to him. 

“Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go faster, okay?” Bambam said, pretending nothing happened at all. 

“Okay then.”

Jackson didn't understand why his heart ached for the sight of Mark, still longing for the comfort the fake man gave to him. 

“I love him, Bam. What do I do?” Jackson choked out, suddenly swept with tears. 

“Who? The fictional character?” Bambam sighed. “It's fine, Jacks. I won't judge.”

The two looked at each other. Jackson, who's eyes were filled with tears, rushed to embrace his friend in a hug, longing the comfort Mark had given him.

~~

“What do I do, Mark?” Jackson asked at his computer. “I'm pretty sure my friend, Bambam hates me now. I mean, he moved out.”

The said male smiled sadly at Jackson. “He doesn't hate you, he just grew up too fast.”

Jackson teared up, hugging his knees to his chest. “Well I didn't want him to.” 

“It's not something you can control.” The fictional character responded. 

~~

“Come on, Jackson. You haven't seen him in so long, so let's go.” Jackson said to himself as he styled his hair out of his face. He takes a look at his closed laptop, reminiscing over how much time he'd spent on it, pretending the fake human brought upon him were actually real. He'd noticed from the beginning that there were signs that pointed to the boy being fake, but Jackson ignored all contradictory factors and continued talking like an idiot. 

“Just think of the old times.” Jackson smiled to himself. 

He walked out his apartment complex, smiling at the sunny sky before walking to the park him and Bambam were going to see each other. Jackson had arrived at his destination far faster than he'd originally planned, arriving five minutes earlier than expected.. 

“Jackson!” A voice shouted, jumping on the said male. 

“Who… are you?” Jackson asked, afraid his hair had already been messed up. 

“It's me, Mark. The one you met on the game.”

‘Had his thoughts actually been false? Was Mark actually a real tangible person?’

Jackson laughed awkwardly. “Oh.” He looked at his watch, realizing when he'd thought he was on time, he'd become late. “I'm sorry, I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm late.”

“But you said you loved me.” The small voice of the slightly older male said. 

“I know, but this is urgent. I'll see you soon?” Jackson ran off before Mark could respond. 

“You said you loved me…” Mark repeated, his voice fading out. 

~~

“Jacks!” Bambam said with joy the moment he entered his and Jackson’s shared dorm. “I got—”

“I still can't believe I've managed to talk so much to you. I wouldn't know what I'd do without you.” Jackson said with smiling eyes. 

“Jackson… am I beneath this machine?” Bambam asked himself, regretting ever giving his friend a cartridge of that game he'd randomly found. 

“I don't know what I'd do without you either.” The voice of the fake male said. “I love you.”

“Me… me too.” Jackson said happily.

“J-Jackson?” Bambam dropped the tickets to the concert he wanted to go to with Jackson. His eyes welled with tears as he sank to the ground, shakily picking the tickets back up. He took his phone out, wiping his eyes. “Hey, Yugyeom?”

“Bam?” Yugyeom asked, hearing the shakiness in his friend’s voice. “What's wrong?”

Bambam sniffled, sighing softly. “Do you want to go to that concert tonight?” 

“Sure, I'll see you soon?” Yugyeom paused, hearing Bambam sniffle once more, “I'll pick you up?”

“Yeah.” Bambam sniffled. “I'll meet you on the first floor of my apartment complex.”

~~

“Bambam!” Jackson shouted, seeing a figure similar to his friend. 

The younger had clearly aged, but not in a negative way. He had grown far taller, even outgrowing Jackson, not that the latter was surprised. The younger had also grown much more mature compared to his babyish looks from two years back. 

“Jackson.” The Thai male smiled, speaking calmly. 

“Who are you and what have you done with my friend?” Jackson asked, laughing. 

“I love you too.” Bambam said in return, laughing. 

“Hey, just because I said the same things to you a few years back doesn't mean it’ll work when you say it to me.” Jackson smiled. 

“You love it,” Bambam quieted down his laughing, his face in a false stoic phase. “I mean, who wouldn't?” 

“Ey.” Jackson drew out the syllable, stopping himself from laughing. 

“But I was serious, I really missed you.” The younger said softly. His voice combined with a low tone and quiet volume made it difficult for Jackson to hear anything he had been saying. 

An interlude between the two’s conversation was slightly awkward, yet still comforting for the nervous younger boy. 

“I want to tell you something.” The two men said at the same time. The two looked at each other, laughing.

“I'll go first.” Jackson said, wiping a single tear from his eyes, willing the laughter down. “I think Mark, that one character from that video game you showed me, is real.” 

Bambam frowned at this. “Did you pursue him like you said you'd want to?” 

“No. What I thought was love was closed to that of a lust. I guess I'm just meant to be alone?” Jackson smiled bitterly, concluding with tears in his eyes. “Now, what'd you want to say?”

“Yeah, I—” Bambam was silenced when rain started pouring down on them. 

“Shoot, let's run.” Jackson cursed under his breath, taking his jacket off, holding it over his and Bambam’s heads. The latter blushed, happy that his friend still cared so much about him. 


“Welcome.” A soft voice spoke to the two young men entering the café. “Jackson.”

“Ah, Mark. It's nice to see you again.” Jackson said politely while smiling as the him and Bambam made their ways to the nearest table. 

“Yes, I feel the same.” The young man cleared his throat. “What would you and your friend like?” 

“No, I don't need anything. We kinda just dove in here since the rain was getting pretty bad.” Bambam explained, blushing. 

“Alright, then I'll put water down for you, and Jackson?” Mark asked almost stiffly. 

“Hot cocoa? I mean, why not, right Bambam?” Jackson asked his friend as he began his monologue. 

Bambam hummed in response. “Yeah, the rain was pretty cold.” The younger couldn't help but to agree with his friend. 

“Hot cocoa and water?” Mark asked. “Is that all?” 

“Yes.” The two younger men answered simultaneously, looking at each other.

“That was Mark?” Bambam asked in disbelief. “The ing machine? Shoot man, I can't believe he was actually real.”

“Bam, it's not a ‘ing machine,’ he's just Mark, the person who takes part in a video game.” Jackson paused. “I guess?”

“Actually, how does it even work? Since games are created with digital code, with each set of numbers signaling what the game should do with this character, how the hell is he a real person?” Bambam mumbled, not intending for his friend to hear. 

“Magic.” Jackson said to Bambam. “Anyway, what were you trying to say before we were interrupted by the storm?” 

“Oh, yeah.” The younger male blushed. “It's nothing.”

A heavy weight almost immediately dropped on him, suffocating him slightly. 

“Really now?” Jackson asked, stopping himself from speaking any longer. 

The tension around them had become thick and uncomfortable, deviating the paths of some employees as they moved around them. 

“Here are your orders, but first, can I have a talk with you, Bambam, is that your name?” Mark asked, slightly stumbling over his words. 

“Yeah, sure.” The Thai male paused. “Right now?”

“Yes, please.” Mark said calmly.

“Oh… Jackson? I'm sorry, excuse me.” Bambam said rigidly. 

Mark dragged the younger male out of the crowded café, dragging them both into the pouring rain. 

“Do… you have an umbrella?” Bambam questioned. 

Mark hummed, going to one of the tables on balcony-esque deck-esque area to which they could eat outside. He sat on the table, beckoning for Bambam to sit with him. 

“I feel that… this,” Mark said, gesturing to their surroundings. “was not an ideal place to meet… I would've loved to have met you and Jackson in a different way, to be blunt… however, I guess this’ll have to do.”

Judging by the almost mumbly voice, the pauses between words, and the soft voice of the American male, Bambam could assume that Mark was not well accustomed to speaking to people let alone speak Korean. 

“Can I just ask you a question?” Bambam asked, his words coming out of his mouth before he can understand what was going on. 

Mark nodded, gesturing for Bambam to continue. 

“How are you here?” 

Mark hummed, sighing softly. “I was in that game, right?” Mark asked rhetorically, “ Anyway, I don't know how or why, but they; the people… who trapped me in the room, forcing me to be a character in the game, let me go.”

“But how? Weren't you just some game character?” Bambam asked offhandedly. 

“Not really, it's kind of more reminiscent to that of a video call, but every time he presses a button on the screen, it alerts me of what he wants me to do. So… I guess that's why only he had it… how'd he get it?”

“What do you mean? I downloaded it for him because someone gave me a code for a game. They told me that it's very useful for lonely people like Jackson.”

“Do… you remember who gave it to you?” Mark asked almost timidly.

“No, they kinda just disappeared afterward.” Bambam clicked his tongue, inhaling sharply as if it'll help him think. 

“I want to know, though… You love Jackson, right?” Mark asked, not caring to hear Bambam answer, already knowing he's right. “The why'd you give him this?”

“I guess I felt guilty, y’know? We became roommates during college, but since I am a few years younger than him, he graduated earlier. I'd essentially left him since I was so caught up in my studies.”

“Look, I won't fight you for your affection over him, since I’m assuming he only liked me ‘cause he was so lonely, but… I’m trusting that you’ll treat him well?” Mark smiled softly. 

“It's… easy!” Bambam responded, cheerfully and loudly, missing the feeling of such a familiar word roll off his tongue. Meanwhile, Mark just laughed, holding his pinky out. Bambam intertwined his smallest finger with Mark’s. 

“Let's go in, I'm sure Jackson’s missing you.” Mark smiled, leading the two of them back inside the homely café. 

“You're back. Man, I missed you, Bambam.” Jackson said, smiling happily, pulling the younger in for a hug. 

“What happened?” Bambam asked suspiciously, yet not letting go. He paused as he stood there, in Jackson”s grasp. “Did you peep on us?”

“No…” Jackson said suspiciously, letting go of his taller friend. “Yes…” He said when Bambam kicked him. 

“It's okay.” Mark said before walking away.

“I'm sorry…” Bambam said, looking down. 

The tension that was so strong before resumed, making the two of them urge their brains to think of something. 

“I… I guess it's out… I like you,” Bambam paused shortly. “In a romantic way.”

“Me… me too.” Jackson said in return, smiling. 


“What…?” Jackson asked his friend as he closed the laptop. “Was this your way of proposing to me, because I wanted to do it first.”

“No, well, sort of.” Bambam said cheekily. “I just wanted to make a sort of movie about when we fell in love. With some changes for your viewing pleasure.”

“Is this why you were gone for so long?” Jackson asked.

“Yes, and no.” He paused for dramatic effect. “Since I vaguely recall that person in your game, I found someone who looked like they were that person.”

“Well, at least this is better than reenacting our first date.” Jackson said.

“Also, happy fourth anniversary.” Bambam kissed his significant other on the forehead before retreating to his room.” 


Jackson’s laptop, which was open, opened the game Jackson had received from Bambam. The file booted itself up, Mark’s face appearing on the screen. 

“I thought you loved me… it'd sure be a shame if something… we're to happen.” Mark laughed maniacally. “Because if I can't have you, no one can.”

A single glitchy effect spawned tens more, infesting Jackson’s computer with a virus. 

“I love you. There's no escape.” A heavily distorted, warbled voice said before completely taking over the laptop.

 

 

 

once again, this is an april fools spoof, so i apologize if this made no sense (because it didn't for me)