Chapter 1

Like a Fool

I was walking along the Han river at Hangang Park, breathing in the crisp autumn air, it was a beautiful day, but it wasn’t a good day for me, well, it was about to be, at least. I was on my way to meet with someone I had completely avoided for 3 years.

 

Call me pathetic. But what she did to me was enough to shatter my will to live. She never loved me, but I still waited for her like a fool. I start to reminisce on the past as I was looking at the river, I took out a cigarette from my pocket, put it in my mouth, and reached for my Zippo.

 

As I was about to light my cigarette, I heard a familiar voice, “That’s bad for you, you know.”. I looked up and there she was, as beautiful as ever, the one that broke my heart, my first love, my best friend, Hirai Momo.

 

I remember the day we first met, it was back in high-school. I was minding my own business in class listening to music when suddenly my classmate and best friend Choi Jinhoon took my earphones away.

 

“Yo, what gives man? It was the best part of Afterlife.”

 

Chanhyuk my man, you can forget about the best part of a damn song, because what I’m about to tell you, will be the best part of your day. There’s gonna be a new student joining our class. And word has it, she’s a babe. also, she’s a foreign student, she just moved from Japan. And guess what, the only empty spot in class is right next to you. And you know what that means…”

 

He said while raising his eye brows a few times. I burst into laughter

 

“Bwahahaha! Dude, the last time people told me there was gonna be a hot foreign student joining us from Australia, we ended up getting an ugly chimp with a funny accent.” and pointed at him. 

 

“Yah! You wanna die, punk?! Aish this kid.”

 

before he could raise his fist, “Teacher’s coming!” one of our classmates yelled. Everyone went back to their seats. But before Jinhoon took his seat behind me, he smacked the back of my head.

 

The teacher came in and we all greeted her. She smiled back at us and said,

 

“Good morning class, as you have all heard, there’s gonna be a new student joining us today from Japan. She just moved a few weeks ago so her Korean isn’t that well yet, so please be patient with her everyone. Ahrasso?”

 

“Ye, Seonsaengnim”

 

“Miss Hirai, please come in.” As soon as she said that, everyone was looking at the direction of the door.

 

I wasn’t expecting much, so I just looked out the window. But when she walked in, everyone went “Woah….”

 

I turned around and I was instantly blown away. There she was, long silky legs, long flowing blonde hair, and to top it all off she had a really cute smile.

 

The guys in the class including Jinhoon were all screaming with joy because the new student was a cutie. The girls just rolled their eyes at the guys’ reaction.

 

“Settle down class, let miss Hirai introduce herself.”

 

”Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Hirai Momo from Kyoto, I hope we can all get along.”

 

As soon as she said that the guys started to cheer again, she had a cute voice and accent. I was the only guy that stayed silent, I couldn’t stop looking at her.

 

The teacher told everyone to settle down again and told Momo to sit in the table next to mine.

 

That’s when I started to panic. I remember thinking “Oh God…. she’s looking my way. Oh no… she’s walking towards me. Is my hair okay? Do I smell okay? Do I have a funny look on my face? Why am I panicking so much? I was never this nervous seeing a girl.” she walked towards the seat next to mine. As she sat down, She turned to me and said,

 

“Ohaiyo.” She greeted me with a smile. She was so damn cute.

 

*“Hai, ohaiyo. Wataachi ga umaku yaru koto ga dekitara i na I replied hastily.

 

Her eyes widened, “Omo, mianhae, I forgot I’m not in Japan anymore. Pabo.” she said and knocked her head cutely.

 

Someone please save me from this adorable creature!

 

“I couldn’t help but notice, your Japanese is very fluent.” 

 

“Oh, my dad worked in Tokyo when I was younger, so I lived in Japan for a little while during my childhood. My name is Shin Chanhyuk by the way.” I responded shyly.

 

She then held up her right hand, “Nice to meet you Chanhyuk-chingu.” I shook her hand and we smiled.

 

Unbeknownst to the both of us, the whole class was watching us and were going “ooooooh….” we both blushed.

 

The teacher just smiled at us and said “Well, looks like miss Hirai will be adapting just fine here. Mr Shin, would you mind taking her around for a tour of the school later during lunch? Seeing as the two of you are getting along so well.”

 

The class got louder and Jinhoon was already patting my back in approval.

 

“Ye, seonsaengnim.” I replied her.

“Okay. Now that that’s settled, take out your textbooks and turn to page….”

 

Classes went on as usual, Momo was a good learner. Even though she did have a bit of trouble at first, she tried her best in class. I didn’t wanna brag but I helped her in most classes and we became instant friends we found out that we shared similar tastes, especially in food. Speaking of food, soon, it was time for lunch. I was about to go to the cafeteria when suddenly Momo tugged on my shirt.

 

“So, where are we heading first, Chanhyuk-ah?”

 

I forgot that I had to give her a tour around the school!

 

“Oh right, I’m supposed to give you a tour around school. Hehe, mianhaeyo Momo-ya. I almost forgot.”

 

“It’s okay chingu, so where should we go first?”

 

“Hmm…. are you hungry? How about I give you a quick tour around the school as we head over to the cafeteria?”

 

“That sounds good. Let’s go then.”

 

As she said that, she grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the classroom. As we walked to the cafeteria which was located on the 1st floor from our class that was located on the 4th floor, I showed her the library, the science lab, the computer room, and my favourite place in the whole school, which was the jam room.

 

When we reached the dance studio, she was shaking with joy,

 

“Kyaaaa! You guys have a dance studio? Yay! Now I can practice dancing again!”

 

“You’re a dancer?”

 

“Yeah! I love dancing. I was a part of my school’s dance club back in Kyoto. I told you in class just now, remember?”

 

“Oh yeah, you did haha”

 

I wasn’t actually paying attention because I was struck by her beauty.

 

“Well then, our dance club is always welcome to new members.”

 

“You dance as well, Chanhyuk-ah?”

 

“I dance a little but I’m more of a musician. I’m a member of both the dance club and the music club.”

 

“ah… I see. So how many members are in the dance club right now?”

 

“So far, it’s just 2 guys including me and 8 girls. It’s just a small club. You’re welcome to join us if you want.”

 

“I’d love to join you guys. It’s always fun to join a club.”

 

“Alright! New member!”

 

*stomach growling*

 

“Oops, I guess I’m hungrier than I thought. Shall we head on over to the cafeteria, Momo-sshi?”

 

She nodded while trying to hold back her laughter. Man, she’s so cute when she does that. As we entered the cafeteria and lined up to get our food, I could already see Jinhoon sitting with the dance club members waving at us.

 

After we got our food, we went to the table where they were sitting. As we sat down, Jinhoon introduced himself and the others to Momo,

 

“Hi, I’m Jinhoon, we’re in the same class. I sit behind Chanhyuk and I am also his best friend. These lovely girls are Tzuyu, Chaeyoung, and Dahyun, they’re first year students. The one with the short hair is Jungyeon, she’s a third year student, the same as us. That there is our president, Jihyo, she’s a second year student. The one with rabbit teeth is Nayeon, That girl over there fixing her make up is Sana, they’re our age too. And last but not least, my girlfriend, Mina. Who is a second year student like Jihyo. Sana and Mina are from Japan too, just like you.”

 

After he said Mina was his grilfriend, *SMACK* Mina smacked him at the back of his head.

 

“OUCH!”

 

“Forget what he said, we are not in a relationship.”

 

“Not yet, that is.”

 

*SMACK* another smack.

 

“Anyways, as this pabo said just now, I’m Mina, Myoui Mina. Nice to meet you, I heard you’re from Japan as well. Sana and I moved here last year.”

 

“Annyeong, I’m Sana, Minatozaki Sana.”

 

“Annyeong, I’m Hirai Momo. I just moved to Korea last week. How did you know I’m from Japan?”

 

“Word goes around fast in these halls. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we have two Japanese members in the club. So you won’t be feeling too uncomfortable in our future gatherings later.”

 

“You already got her to join the club Chanhyuk-ie oppa? You really are fast.”

 

“Hey, the more the merrier right? And besides, with an extra member, your choreography will be more balanced.”

 

“Well, as president of the dance club, I Park Jihyo, welcome Hirai Momo into the club.”

 

Everyone clapped and then went back to eating. The girls instantly accepted Momo into the group. They chatted the whole time. After lunch, we all headed back to our respective classes. As we were about to walk back to class, Nayeon called out to us,

 

Chanhyuk-ah! Momo-ya! Pabo-ya! Don’t forget we have a club gathering tomorrow!”

 

“Ahrasso!” Momo and I said at the same time. We laughed when we realised we said it together.

 

“YAH! Who are you calling a pabo?!”

 

“Your ‘girlfriend’ told me to say it *merong*”

 

After that, Nayeon turned around and walked back to her class. Jinhoon was left frustrated. Momo and I just laughed. The rest of the school day went by as usual, Momo continued to prove herself a good student. We got to know more about each other in between classes as well. It turns out she likes dogs like me, and her favourite food ever since moving to Korea is Jokbal.

 

*bell rings*

 

I gathered my things and left the class together with Jinhoon. I was feeling tired after a day of studying.

 

“Ah! Finally, free at last! Now I can go back home and sleep.”

 

“Yeah man, I need to rest after receiving those nasty hits from Mina.”

 

“In all honesty, you deserved it bruh. Hahaha!”

 

“Screw you, you little .”

 

As we were about to reach the stairs,

 

“Chanhyuk-ah! Wait for me!”

 

I turned around and saw Momo running towards us from the class.

 

“Go on ahead bro, get some rest. We have dance practice with the girls and a jam session after with Yonghwa sunbae and the rest of the band. We’re taking over soon after he graduates next month.”

 

“Ahrasso, ahrasso… aigoo, whatever happened to loyalty among bros? A girl comes in and I get fed to the dogs…”

 

“Come on man, you know it ain’t like that.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever, just have fun with my future sister-in-law!”

 

“Aish! this kid. Screw off already. See you tomorrow.”

 

Jinhoon flipped me off before he left. As I turned around to the direction Momo was coming from, she was already panting from all the running,

 

”Phew, these halls are so long. Where’s Jinhoon? I thought he was with you?”

 

“He left first. What’s up?”

 

“Oh, I just have something to ask you.”

 

“Ask away, Momo-ya.”

 

“Do you take the bus home?”

 

“Yeah, I do. You need help with the bus routes?”

 

“That’s good to hear. Yeah, I still need some help with the bus routes here.”

 

“Sure, I’ll help you. Let’s head to the bus stop.”

 

As we were waiting at the bus stop, it felt like my tiredness just disappeared. I get to spend more time with Momo, I felt refreshed. Now’s my chance to get closer to her.

 

“By the way Momo, where do you live? We might be going opposite ways later.”

 

“Oh my family moved to Jamsil-dong.”

 

“Oh… cool. Woah! Hold up, You live in Jamsil-dong too?”

 

She looked shocked when I said “too”,

 

“You live in Jamsil-dong? That means we’re neighbours! What are the odds Chanhyuk-ie? That means we can go to school together everyday!”

 

The bus arrived after she said that, we boarded and sat together. “This day cannot get any better.” I thought to myself.

 

On the bus, we were sitting side by side. You’d think I would already be used to this, but I wasn’t. Momo was sitting by the window looking at the shops we were passing by and I was just listening to some songs by Twenty One Pilots when I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Momo motioning me to take off my earphones.

 

“What are you listening to? Do you mind if we listen together?”

 

“Not at all. Here, use this one”

 

As I handed her an earphone, Twenty One Pilots’ cover of “Can’t help falling in love” started. I can’t say it wasn’t awkward, because it was. Well, for me at least. Momo just seemed to be enjoying the music. But as I looked at her and listened to the lyrics of the song…. I was sure, I’ve fallen into the point of no return, I’m in love with Hirai Momo.

 

“That’s bad for you, you know.”

 

“Heh, still an anti-smoker I see. It’s been a while.”

 

“It has, I see you’re still a smoker. I thought you quit last time.”

 

“Well, I no longer had a reason to stop. Might as well just go with it.”

 

“Can we sit down somewhere and talk? I’m kinda thirsty.”

 

“Sure, you pick the place, I’ll buy. Deal?”

 

“Deal.”

 

And just like that, we were on our way to a nearby cafe.

 

 

 

*(T/L:Yes, good morning. I hope we can get along well. Well at least I think that’s what it means. I googled it XD. Okay back to the story)