coffee shop trauma: autobiography by Lim Changkyun

potential for a "boyfriend tag"

Changkyun’s woken up two days later with a call from Minhyuk. You heard right - a call. Changkyun doesn’t get calls very often, so when he’s woken up by Get Low blaring from his phone’s speakers, you could say he’s a little bit confused. When he sees Minhyuk’s name sprawled across the screen, the confusion (and slight irritation) grows.

Why the is he calling me at... 9 in the morning? Changkyun glares at the phone, half tempted to ignore the call and hope it doesn’t happen again. And he does, he tosses his phone off the side of his bed and buries his head under the pillow because if he’s gonna pick up a call at nine in the morning on a Saturday.

But the phone keeps on ringing, and Changkyun feels like screaming. With a noise of frustration, Changkyun leans over the side of his bed and picks up his phone, answering the call quickly. “What,” he practically growls into the receiver.

Minhyuk giggles through the phone and Changkyun can almost picture the man’s cheeky smile. “Woah, woah, tiger,” he teases, “Someone’s grumpy this morning.”

Changkyun head drops against his mattress in defeat. He wonders why he decided making friends with Minhyuk, who is well known for his mischievous prank videos, was a good idea (though Minhyuk kind of didn’t give him a choice in the matter). “What do you want, Minhyuk-hyung?”

Minhyuk makes a noise, “Oh! Right, I called for a reason.” Changkyun waits for the other man to stop giggling, groaning tiredly, “Come to Second Cup! I want you to meet some people.”

Changkyun scowls, “Some people? Who are they?”

“No one you need to worry about, kkukkungie!” Changkyun can almost see Minhyuk waving his hand dismissively through the phone, “Just some other YouTubers and stuff!”

Other YouTubers? That could really be anyone, he thinks. Maybe Minhyuk would have had a better chance at convincing him to go if he hadn’t called Changkyun at 9 in the morning, but… He doesn’t feel like making a fool out of himself in front of some possibly-important people anyway (his coffee-shop track record is pretty bad so far). “Listen, Minhyuk-”

“Great! Come at 3, okay?” Minhyuk gives him no time to reply before he’s hanging up, leaving Changkyun with no choice, “See you there!”

Blinking in disbelief, Changkyun shoves his face into his pillow and screams.

(“Dude!” His roommate, Taehyuk, shouts from the other room, “It’s 9 in the morning, it’s too early for you to be crying over monstaX! Shut up!”)

 

 

Almost 6 hours later, fully awake and slightly apprehensive, Changkyun is standing in front of Second Cup like an idiot. He’s early, he doesn’t see Minhyuk anywhere, and he doesn’t know who Minhyuk’s supposed to be introducing him to anyway so he can’t just walk in there and look around like a lost puppy. Changkyun’s had enough embarrassment for the week - his quota is full, thank you very much.

Taking another peek through the window, Changkyun stops short. Sitting at one of the tables is Jooheon. You heard that right; Lee, mothering, Jooheon. Aka the guy whose voice plagues Changkyun ipod storage (and his wet dreams, but we don’t talk about that). Looking at the people he’s sitting with, Changkyun’s stomach drops.

Shin Hoseok (aka the subject of male perfection), a part of the youtube-based band whose videos Changkyun binge watches every-so-often, is sitting right beside him. Talking to Jooheon as if they were old friends (but I mean, they probably are, who knows). He can handle Jooheon (because while his thirst for Hoseok is all over the internet, nobody knows just how trash he is for Jooheon), he could deal with Hoseok (possibly), but both of them? Yeah that.

Nope. Screw Minhyuk and his endearing yet irritatingly persistent attempt at assimilating Changkyun into the “South Korean Youtube Community”. There is no way he’s going in there - he’ll do something completely embarrassing and will never be able to face the world again. He just knows.

It takes him a moment to realise that all he’s been doing is staring at the group and his cheeks flush. Changkyun ducks away quickly just as Jooheon looks over, pressing his back against the side of the building. God he hasn’t even done anything and he's already regretting his life choices - a new record!

(On the bright side, at least he has new “Storytime” material.)

“What the hell are you doing?” Changkyun jumps, shrieking in fright. He spins on his heel, staring wide eyed at the pair standing a few feet away. Minhyuk’s bright grin is the first thing he sees, but then his eyes draw towards the tall, thin, modelesque man behind him. “You’re right, Minhyukkie, he is cute.”

Feeling the tips of his ears burn red, Changkyun tries to ignore that comment - his embarrassment is not cute, okay. Changkyun recognises the newcomer as the guy who lingers in the background of Minhyuk’s vlogs - all he knows is that the guy is another YouTuber, though for what he’s not sure.

Minhyuk walks toward him eagerly, swinging his arm around Changkyun tense shoulders, “This is my boyfriend, Hyungwon! He’s one of the people I wanted to introduce you to today...” Minhyuk pauses, peering through the window, “Great! The rest of them are here already. Let’s go, kkukkungie!”

Ignoring his distressed protests, Minhyuk drags Changkyun into the café with Hyungwon snickering behind them (the bastard). Minhyuk wastes no time dragging him to the counter and ordering their coffee (a caramel macchiato for himself, espresso for Hyungwon, and an iced Americano for Changkyun) before dragging him closer to the table he did not have any intention of getting closer to.

Dread pools in Changkyun’s stomach. No way, no ing way is Minhyuk introducing him to them. This can’t be real, Changkyun pleads, biting back an embarrassing whimper when they do, in fact, stop right in front of that table. Why does the universe hate me?

As soon as Minhyuk stops in front of their table, the group becomes quiet. Changkyun shrinks under Jooheon and Hoseok’s gaze, trying to will away the red flush on his cheeks (hint: it’s not working). “Hey guys,” Minhyuk greets cheerfully, sliding into one of the vacant chairs and pulling Changkyun onto the one beside him, with Hyungwon taking the other side of Minhyuk. “This is Changkyun, the guy I told you about.”

Immediately, Hoseok’s lips drop open (Changkyun definitely did not file that image away for later. No siree), eyebrows raising in recognition. Jooheon looks up from his phone, blinking over at Changkyun from across the table. “Oh,” Hoseok hums, lips quirking with a grin, “We’ve heard quite a bit about you.”

There’s something in his voice that makes Changkyun uneasy (and a little bit flustered). What if he knows? The sudden thought of Hoseok seeing his (admittedly, many) review videos where he's almost crying over monstaX is daunting and completely terrifying - god knows Changkyun will never be able to show his face like, ever again, if Hoseok managed to somehow find his videos of endless thirsting.

Changkyun will probably have to go into hiding. Become a hermit - maybe I can move to the rainforest-

“Changkyun!”

His head snaps up when Minhyuk calls his name, trying to ignore the attractive smirk that appears on Jooheon’s face. “W-What?” Minhyuk pats him on the back and when Changkyun looks over, he sees Hyungwon snickering into his coffee at his confusion.

“I was just saying,” Changkyun eyes widen at Jooheon’s low, raspy tone (it sounds so much nicer in real life, ), “I like your rap.”

It takes him a minute to fully comprehend the praise, but when he does, Changkyun mouth drops open like a fish - which is really unattractive, by the way. Minhyuk tugs on his arm as soon as the words leave Jooheon’s mouth,, “You rap?!

Hoseok leans forward in his seat slightly, looking at Changkyun with one of his perfectly-sculpted eyebrows raised,, “If Jooheon’s praising you, then you must be amazing.”

“N-no,” Changkyun sputters, shaking his head. Did that just happen, he asks himself, his face flaming bashfully (god, why is he blushing so much?). “I-I’m not that good. I think J-Jooheon-hyung’s are much better,” Changkyun freezes as soon as the words come out of his mouth - did he just expose himself?.

“Oh? So you’ve listened to my music?” With a twinkle in his eye, Jooheon leans across the table with a cheeky smirk, “Does that mean you’re my fan, Kkukkungie?”

Changkyun’s brain short-circuits when Jooheon’s cheeks dimple. Like clockwork, Changkyun flinches in surprise, almost knocking his americano over and smashing his knee against the bottom of the table. ,” he yelps, fumbling around to catch his coffee before it falls over. Just how embarrassing can one guy be? Apparently, very (Changkyun’s only been here for like 20 minutes and his clumsy is already ing things up).

“Sorry-!”

The table is quiet, and Changkyun can feel them all staring at him, the silence around them suffocating. He’s almost sure he’s royally screwed up any chance of a good impression until Hoseok snorts loudly. “Oh my god,” he laughs, covering his mouth with his hand, “You’re so cute!”

Minhyuk, Hyungwon, and Jooheon follow behind quickly, all three of them falling into their own fits of laughter. Changkyun buries his head in his hands, both completely devastated and a little giddy that Shin “Perfect-Man” Hoseok, called him cute  - he still regrets every decision he’s made to draw him up to this point, though. The humiliation far outweighs the pleasant feelings and Changkyun groans in defeat, please end my suffering. When he chances a look up, Jooheon’s grinning at him with the prettiest, dimple-est smile he’s ever had the privilege of seeing (if he can see Jooheon smile like that, at him no less, then maybe it's worth it).

“You never did answer my question, man. Are you a fan?”

Nevermind, Changkyun retracts his statement, forced to accept the fact that all he's done is dig himself into a bigger hole. my life.