Girlfriends

Girlfriends

“Yoseob, you like her so much, don’t you?” Asked Junhyung amusingly glancing at his best friend and some of his ice-cream that dangerously melted and was about to drip on his fingers.

“What? What are you even talking about!?” Quick denial and blush of embarrassment made older smile even more.

“Have you seen her today, again?” Yoseob nodded his own candy-flavored cold dessert.

“You should ask her out, I tell you. It may not be an accident that you’re meeting her that often. Maybe she’s running into you purposely.” A little bit more serious tone in Junhyung’s voice made Yoseob look up at him surprised. But seeing older’s happy looking face he quickly turned to staring at his ice-cream.

“You’re being ridiculous now. Why would she even has done something like that?” He mumbled slightly but Junhyung accustomed to his friend’s strange behavior understood everything perfectly.

“Because she likes you. You are really cute, Yoseob and girls like boys like you.”

Yoseob pouted wondering what’s wrong with that ice-cream that suddenly he doesn’t feel like eating it.

“No, Junhyungie. This time you are wrong. Girls love bad guys-looking boys that ‘surprisingly’ have warm insides, just like you.” Junhyung snorted but that didn’t affected Yoseob anyhow. “Besides, I don’t even know if I really like her…”

“Oh, come on!” This time older strongly protested. “You’re talking and thinking about her way too much, for not really liking.”

“It’s because I admire her. That’s certain. She’s determined, hard-working and she sings beautifully. But I’m not sure if I like her or just want to be like her.”

Junhyung chuckled for that confession.

“That’s not funny. I’m being serious here! And how am I suppose to go out with her anyway, when every time I have free evening you’re calling because you’re lonely and you want to hang out? It’s you who needs girlfriend here!”

Junhyung stopped on the red light at the pedestrian crossing thinking about what Yoseob said for a moment. Fortunately he wasn’t focused too much not to notice that his friend as usual missed that small detail and carelessly just kept forward. He quickly caught his elbow pulling him back strongly. He surprised firstly but then smiled apologetically.

“Seriously… what would happen with you if not me? I must be around you all the time…”

“Thank you~” Yoseob smiled grabbing older’s arm and pouting cutely. Knowing that he can’t resist this method Junhyung looked around shaking his head. The next moment he jerked off his arm from warm embrace and threw away small rest of his ice-cream on the pavement running somewhere quite frightened.

“Junhyung, wha..?” Yoseob wasn’t able to end his sentence as he saw what his friend was running for. Few meters away from them a girl in the big colorful headphones entered the crossing just as carelessly as he did a moment earlier. With the exception she hadn’t anyone who could stop her. Few seconds later when coming cars started to trumpet his heart started to beat faster. It was clear that drivers saw them. But not every one of them may be able to stop in time. Other thing that scared Yoseob was that probably some of them didn’t even tried nor intended. It was too late to come back at the side of the road where they stood before so Junhyung quickly dragged her on the other side and Yoseob prayed for his success. Seeing as they reached the pavement he sighed relieved and smiled when heard even from so far away Junhyung yelling at poor girl, after taking off quite drastically her headphones first. Some people came to them and asked probably if they were okay but they quickly went away so Yoseob grinned even more, assuming that his friend wasn’t his most polite self at that moment. He was always like that. He wanted good but mostly couldn’t express it properly thus scared people away. Yoseob was convinced that in that moment that girl is frightened more by him than she was when he grabbed her by the arm and he bet she won’t ever be that inattentive while listening to music again.

When the lights turned green he almost run to his friend but struggled for a moment when he realized that not only the girl is laughing but Junhyung is smiling as well. He slowed down watching as they exchanged their numbers and then girl went away passing by him indifferently. But he took a better look of her. She was at most his high, had really long, straight and shiny hair and was really beautiful and cute. And what for some reason was even worse her radiant smile made even Yoseob jealous.

“Have you seen her?” Whispered Junhyung amazed when coming closer to Yoseob. “It was some kind of goddess probably. Her name is Hara, it’s my favorite girl’s name since like… forever!”

Yoseob only sighed slightly disappointed for unknown reasons and slowly made his way to his home completely ignoring enthusiasm of his friend.

“Let me guess… You asked her out.” Junhyung smirked still annoyingly happy.

“How could I not? “

Yeah how could you just stay disinterestedly with me when I’m there for you all the time?

“When are you going to meet?”

“Tomorrow.” Yoseob grimaced unconsciously what Junhyung however wasn’t able to see as he was walking slightly behind turning back continuously to check if his ‘goddess’ is still in view. “Heeey, I have a great plan!” He put his arm around Yoseob’s neck and continued happily. Yoseob already didn’t like that plan, although he had no tiniest idea what was it about. “You will ask Jieun out and we will do a joint date! Or we can go separately if you don’t want to. And then after walking girls home we can meet to talk about it.”

“I’m not sure about brilliance of that plan of yours.” Grimaced Yoseob even more.

“Oh, come on! Don’t be so stiff, I know you would never miss occasion to go to amusement park. Are you afraid she refuse you?” Younger nodded slightly just for the sake of peace but that wasn’t really the truth, although he wasn’t able to tell why. “Yoseob how many times have you asked a girl on a date?”

“None.” He felt resentful as Junhyung exactly knew that.

“Exactly! I assure you if you just asked, you would have girlfriend already. No one is able to refuse you, believe me.” Yeah, no one was able to stir in Yoseob’s head the way Junhyung was.

“I don’t know… I don’t even have her number.” Junhyung only smiled taking this as agreement.

“Don’t worry about that. Just ask her through net or get her number from someone. You have mutual friends so it shouldn’t be difficult, right? ”

“I’ll see what I can do but we’re not going together, anyway.” Warned Yoseob and Junhyung nodded ending subject.

“Do you want another portion of ice-cream before going home?”

“Nah, it was too much today and I’m fed up actually. Do you want me to be fat and ugly?”

Junhyung chuckled for his words.

“Yoseob, I understand you admire IU but please stop talking like a girl. Who cares if you are fat and ugly? For me it won’t change anything.”

“Yeah, for you.” Younger mumbled once again but this time even Junhyung couldn’t understand him.

“What were you muttering?”

“Nothing, I’m going home.” Yoseob stopped at the crossroad where their ways to home split giving Junhyung sign that he don’t want him to take longer route to walk together a little bit longer.

“Oh, ok.” Startled a bit stopping as well. “Don’t worry Yoseob, just do it. Even if she refuses, you still have me so you don’t risk too much.”

This time Yoseob snorted but smiled anyway. One way or another Junhyung always could make him smile. “See you tomorrow.”

“See you.” Replied looking thoughtfully at his walking away friend. “Stupid idiot.”

For the whole way to his home and later in his room and even at the dinner with his family, anger for his friend grew and grew. And everything boiled down to one simple question.

Why it was always so easy for Junhyung to find a girlfriend? It wasn’t fair!

He was thinking and thinking about that so much that ended just going to sleep without giving even slightest try to ask Jieun to go out with him.

For almost the whole next day he was busy with something. Suddenly he had a lot things to do, someone was constantly asking him to do or help with something. And before he even noticed it became afternoon and he remembered that he was suppose to get IU’s number. But it was too late already. How could he just call someone like her and ask to go out with him, like… right now. So he gave up convincing himself he will do that in another occasion.

In the evening when he was slowly accustoming his thoughts to his bed, his phone rang giving him a sign that he got a message from Junhyung.

 

My date is over. Do you want to meet now? Or maybe you’re still with someone? ^__^”

 

!Came through Yoseob’s mind and he threw himself on his bed staring at the ceiling. After few long minutes he replied.

 

I haven’t been anywhere, I had something else to do today and I’m tired now. How’s date?

 

Really, really nice. But unfortunately she has a boyfriend, so she agreed to meet only as an expression of gratitude. Please come meet me, I’ll tell you more then.

 

Yoseob sighed receiving that message. Something made him feel relieved and he surely was happy after all Junhyung wanted to see him. But he really didn’t feel like going out that evening. He took his phone again to make up excusing message when his phone sounded once more.

 

Go out right now, bromide. I’m in front of your house.

 

Lingering a bit Yoseob finally took his blouse and went down.

“I’m going out with Junhyung, mum.” ‘Asked’ for permission while putting on his snickers. But instead of his mother, his older sister replied.

“Again? Just marry him, it won’t make a difference.”

“I will think about that.” Retorted sarcastically and without any other response he was gone.

Junhyung hearing closing door of Yoseob’s house stood up from the nearest bench he was sitting on and went out to meet his friend.

After usual high-five and soundless greet, he made his way down the street.

“Where are we going?” Hearing that question older looked at Yoseob with mischievous smile.

“I was thinking about amusement park but I see you’re really tired so…” But Yoseob was already jumping again joyful.

“Yes, let’s just go there. It’s been ages since I had some more serious fun.” He grinned seeing Junhyung nodding. Screw everything, girlfriends, not girlfriends, tiredness – fictional or not. He could not care and forget easily about everything if he was to go to amusement park and with Junhyung that is.

“But we are going on the fastest rollercoaster, you like it or not.” If he had luck today, why not push it further and ask about impossible.

“Let it be. But after we have to go on a Ferris wheel so we will rest a bit and I will tell you about my perfect date.” Oh yeah, the date. For a moment Yoseob forgot about that but this time he didn’t let himself be affected. Junhyung was taking him to his favorite place and he was already thinking about all the things they will do together when they get there and all delicious things he will eat afterwards until he will feel sick and they will have to go back home and Yoseob’s mum will be slightly disappointed that he never listened to her and ate so many unhealthy things so late at night and then Junhyung who will be all the time beside him apologize her for letting him eat too much and she will smile and tell him that it’s not his fault and the one who’s at guilt will be suffering for the whole night while everyone else will be sleeping. He smiled for that thought hanging on Junhyung’s arm. It’s going to be awesome night.

On the whole way Yoseob was spreading before older his great plans and that one was only nodding, agreeing mostly on everything and sometimes disagreeing (We won’t be shooting to pink bears for god’s sake! How old are you even!?). From time to time Yoseob was wondering why Junhyung had so much of forbearance for his ideas that time. Sometimes he was even ready to fight when Yoseob didn’t want to yield, but not this time. Since it wasn’t common for him to be that gracious younger decided to take advantage of it till the last drop of his good will. He professedprinciple: show no mercy when Yong Junhyung leaves his guard down. And it was one of his favorite rules because mostly always led to something pleasant.

Finally entering park they started to realize their plan and Junhyung bought tickets for most of attractions. Yoseob was usually paying for food and since they visited many places that evening he insisted also on paying at least for Ferries.

After around two hours older was waiting in the supposedly last line of night while waiting for Yoseob to come back with some snacks. Although they had the worst behind and Junhyung had already enough time to be green, red, white and from time to time even blue, and he was not only fed but maybe already overeaten, he didn’t have heart to stop Yoseob from buying anything else. Even though they were hanging out together quite often, he always missed and felt strangely uncomfortable when Yoseob wasn’t smiling.

“Boo!” ‘Scared’ him Yoseob distracting his thought immediately when he came back. “What were you thinking about?” Asked munching some crunchy colorful balls.

“Nothing special. I was just wondering if you throw up in the Ferries or you make it to your home.” Younger only stuck his tongue out and fed him with mouthful of balls. For a moment they were just munching soundly without telling anything until their turn came and they entered comfortable seats.

As the time passed it became strange for Junhyung that Yoseob still hasn’t utter a word. But as he watched him making himself comfortable on his arm with his eyes closed, not paying attention to the view (no matter how many times they’ve seen it before, it still was amazing), he realized that he could be just simply tired. After all he was tired even before. He decided to start some topic and let him rest.

“Why haven’t you called Jieun? You chickened out, right?” Yoseob only nodded not opening his eyes so that subject was over.

“Do you want to hear about my date then?” Younger again only nodded so Junhyung started with a sigh.

“She is so beautiful when she smiles and she’s really into music. We could listen to something together but too bad she has a boyfriend already. But she’s really funny and smart and sometimes really sarcastic. But maybe she’s just too perfect, what do you think?”

But Yoseob didn’t feel like answering, not then not really ever.

“Hey, Seob? Are you feeling sick? Why are you not responding?”

“I’m not sick.” He lifted up his head from Junhyung’s shoulder and turned this time to admire the view. “I just think nothing about that so I can’t tell.”

“What? You didn’t have to answer truthfully, I was just asking to talk. What happened to you suddenly? You don’t want to speak with me at all?”

“Nothing happened. Can’t I just be silenced and calm for a moment?”

“Of course you can, when you sleep. Normally you are nothing like that. What’s on your mind? What’s bothering you?” Yoseob only stubbornly was refusing to look at him. “Yoseob we are friends, we were suppose to say everything to ourselves.”

“Oh… It is only that I’m a little bit mad at you.” Replied finally calmly.

“Me!? Why?”

“I’m not really sure.” He sat straight looking on his hands. “I was thinking about that a lot today and my conclusion is that I’m not liking the fact that you met that girl. And it’s not that I am jealous that you don’t have any problem with getting new girlfriends. It’s more rather that I’m always there for you. Every time you need me. Every time you are lonely, I’m trying to be everything you need. And yet when you encounter first occasion you let it happen. You never think if I will be alone that night because we were suppose to meet and suddenly you met someone else. I don’t know what I hate more – the fact that you are not with me or that you are with someone else than me.”

When speaking the last words he sounded as if he was really close to tears so Junhyung quickly stood up kneeling face to face with him and holding his arms.

“I hope you’re not going to cry because of that, Yoseob. It would be totally girly and you shouldn’t do that. It won’t help you at all to find a girlfriend.”

“Just stop with that girlfriend already!” He yelled at still smiling friend and brushed off his hands from his arms. “I don’t want to have one when I have you!” Junhyung only smirked for such confession and stood up with loud sigh.

“Then let me tell you something to make things clear. Have I ever ended any of my maaaaaany dates other than calling you or meeting you afterwards, sometimes even if it was really late? Tell me, huh? Or can you tell me how long my relationships with those girlfriends lasted? Comparing that we are inseparable for few nice years.” He silenced for a moment waiting for Yoseob’s answer but not hearing anything. “You’re not answering so let me explain you…”

“No, actually…” Interrupted younger quickly looking up at him. “I wasn’t sure if you’re really expecting me to answer or is it just rhetorical question.” He grinned getting immediate slap.

“Oh, shut up, you ruined beautiful moment.” Pretending to be slightly hurt Junhyung sat again next to him not telling anything else.

“Junnie~ Junhyungie hyung~ please don’t be mad and tell me.” Forgetting for a moment he shouldn’t ever do something like that Junhyung looked at Yoseob’s face full of aegyo and his eyes actually sparkling and he quickly covered his eyes instantly struck.

“Geesuz, I told you not to do anything like that in front of me…” Yoseob only grinned once more straightening himself and looking just ordinary.

“Better?” Junhyung quickly glanced at him and nodded. “Then continue.” Older sighed heavily turning his sight away from him totally anyway.

“Today’s date could be the best one I’ve ever had if not small detail. When Hara came today first thing that I noticed was that she has almost the same high as you, then that she’s so cute as you, then that she likes to eat the same as you and she is tiny nonetheless, just as you. When she was picking up her dessert I was wondering if she will choose the same thing as you. I expected her to hold her cutlery the same way you do and then I realized I just expected her to be you.” He took off something invisible from his friend’s neck, in the same time his skin delicately.” She don’t have a boyfriend, Yoseob. At least she didn’t say a word about that. But I no longer felt like meeting her. I wanted to see you instead. And here I am, on my perfect date… with you.”

Yoseob didn’t answer it anyhow but just laid again his head on Junhyung’s shoulder and slowly, first only touching shyly, but eventually locked their fingers together.

“Sooo…” Began older once again. “What are you doing tomorrow evening? Maybe we can go to the cinema?” Yoseob smiled closing his eyes.

“Sounds like a plan for another nice evening.” Junhyung smiled as well hearing that answer and rested his head on Yoseob’s as their journey in magical wheel was coming to an end. Moving even closer to Junhyung than it was possible Yoseob hugged his thoughts.

My first date… Perfect!