Final

May be

 

Kim Jongin’s life is not a picture perfect like everyone assumes. He was born from a family of average socio-economic class. He is the youngest of three siblings. Both of his parents have to work to earn enough money to feed them. He still remembers the days his mother would have to worry about the bills and their tuition fees. It is his ambition to make his parents’ lives comfortable enough not to worry about the monthly bills or their expenses. He always worked hard at school so that his grades would not be an add on to their parents’ worry. When he graduated high school, his eldest brother, Kim Jongsuk joined the military. Although he didn’t voice out, he knew that his brother wanted to support his family in any way. By joining the military, he wouldn’t have to worry about his living. This would reduce one burden off from their parents’ shoulder so that they could pay more attention to his little brother’s education because he knew that little Jongin had always wanted to be a doctor. That’s why Jongin would work hard like a mad man until nose bleeds. He doesn’t want his brother’s effort to be wasted.

 

Kim Jongin thought the day he got accepted into the Medical University was the happiest day of his life but there was another happiest day … the day Yeri agreed to be his girlfriend. They first knew each other through their mutual friends. Somewhere along their friendship, Jongin became aware of his affection for the girl. Some day in the springtime, Jongin confessed his love for her. That’s also when he realized that their feelings were mutual from the start when Yeri immediately accepted his love without hesitation. As far as he remembers, Yeri was his first love. They were a perfect match, a couple every classmate were envious of. Jongin thought that as long as they love each other, they don’t need anything. He believed that they will be together forever. However, love alone was not enough in life when there were other factors needed to be considered in their relationship. Yeri’s parents had already planned to send her to London to further her study in medical field as soon as she graduated. They weren’t against their relation but one fact is that if Jongin had to go together with Yeri because she may not be coming back to Korea. It was probably the hardest decision for Jongin to make because he really loved his girlfriend but just because of that he couldn’t abandon his family who have already sacrificed so much for him. At last, he chose his family. The graduation day became his both happiest day and saddest day because it was the day he last saw his beloved girlfriend.. exgirlfriend. She had left him forever. Since then he had never engaged in a relationship anymore.

 

 

 

Jongin became one of the most competent doctors at the hospital. he invested all of his time and labour at his career. Without him knowing himself, he became an uptight person whose priority will always be his patients.

 

It is Kim Jongin’s off day starting from this morning to tomorrow. Finally the time to sleep comfortably and care free in his cozy bed at his apartment came after four consecutive tiresome night shifts except that he has to stay extra hours at the hospital today because new interns are starting their internship today and he was assigned as one of their mentors.

 

After wrapping up his remaining work, it’s already 10 past 9 o’clock. He supposes the consultant has finished giving speech to the interns. One of his colleagues approaches him, “Dr. Kim, here’s the list of interns you have to train for the next three months. Dr. Min told me to hand it over to you. They are in the conference room 004,” he handed the document to Jongin.

“Thank you, Dr. Lee. I’ll go right now,” Kim jongin replies and sprints off to said room.

 

 

 

In the room, there are only five people left who are supposedly waiting for him.

He introduced himself first without wasting time, “Hello, nice to meet you. I’m Dr. Kim Jongin. I believe I’m the supposed mentor to the remaining five of you. First, I’m sorry that I’m late. I hope you already know the reason. Second, please introduced yourself each. I need to know the name of my juniors whom I will be working together for next 3 months.”

 

After hearing the first one’s introduction, ‘as usual, typical interns, very active and energetic not knowing what’s waiting for them later’ he thinks.

The second one is a little shy ???… he thinks. ‘Do Kyungsoo’ he mentally notes his name. He can’t help but chuckle when he sees his behavior. He is just so cute. A small frame boy with wide doe-eyes and harry porter glasses, plump lips and slightly pink hue on his cheeks. He looks like a highschool student.

 

 

 

 

 

No one can lie to Jongin’s observing skill. Since the first day, he noticed that one of his interns is most outstanding. He is referring to Do Kyungsoo. Yes, the others are clever too. Jung Soojung is an active girl and quick learner but she is a little clumsy. Byun Baekhyun, the obnoxious and loud one, sometimes he just can’t stand his headache inducing voice especially he is in grumpy mood when he didn’t get enough sleep from previous night shift. The rest are just okay, not reaching his expectation. Kyungsoo is different, he can tell that he is very passionate in his career just by watching him work. He would sometimes stay all night in his shift and always observing and learning new things. He can grant that Kyungsoo will become a competent doctor one day.

 

Into three weeks of training his interns and Jongin becomes friendly with them including Kyungsoo who is very shy and awkward with strangers. But he is a good listener. Jongin would talk to people near him at night shifts in order to stay awake. At those times, Kyungsoo will be at his side listening attentively to everything he talks about. He is thankful for that. Later it becomes their habit, Jongin talking about anything and everything and Kyungsoo listening.

 

At one night, Jongin wakes up from his nap to observe the patients’ condition and he sees Kyungsoo struggling with the oxygen tank in the intensive care room. ’what is he even doing?’

 

“Kyungsoo, what are you doing?” he must have startled him because he sees him a little jumpy. ‘cute!

“Ah, I’m trying to carry this tank to incubator 4 to replace the old one because I couldn’t find a janitor, Dr. Kim,” Kyungsoo replies.

“You’re trying to carry a thing which is probably the twice of your own weight?” He can’t help but chuckle, “I’ll help you.”

At that night, he couldn’t forget Kyungsoo’s sweet laughter and flushed but adorable face from the labour of carrying the heavy thing.

 

 

 

 

When the time came to part, Jongin can’t defy the feeling of sadness. He wants to say his farewell to Kyungsoo personally. Previous three months were his unforgettable moments. He is not sure what his feeling is. ‘affection?’ May be. But he is sure of the fact that it is more than as a colleague, more than as a junior. So he is waiting for the right moment when Kyungsoo will be alone on their last day and says his goodbye. He doesn’t want to cause misunderstanding among other interns.

 

He hopes he is not reading into it when Kyungsoo asks for his permission for calling him sometimes. May be Kyungsoo has the same feeling. Just may be.

 

 

He can’t contain his joy when a text comes from Kyungsoo three days later.

 

From; Kyungsoo

Hi, I’m Kyungsoo. How are you doing?

 

And he immediately replies it.

To; Kyungsoo

Hey, I’m fine. How about you, Kyungsoo?

How are you adapting your new work place?

 

From;Kyungsoo

Tonight will be my first night shift at emergency department and I’m very excited and nervous right now.

 

Right now, the one who is more excited is Jongin because when Kyungsoo asked for calling him, he didn’t expect him to contact so soon. He calms down and text back.

 

To;Kyungsoo

Hey, don’t be nervous. You’ll do fine because you’re perfect!

 

 

 

‘You’re more than perfect, Kyungsoo. At least, to me.’ Jongin thinks.

 

And now he is sure of his feeling now. It’s love. Not a first love, but may be his last… May be.

 

 

 

 

A/N sorry for any mistakes. Please subscribe and comment if you like my fic. Thank you for reading :*