Ballad of the Moon

Lunar Cry

Everyone said it would not happen again. They were safe, they will live, and they will prosper again. But as usual, everyone was wrong.

Jinyoung stared up at the reddened night sky as he reflected on the last two weeks of his life, wondering if he made the right choices. Did his life have a meaning? Did he make the most out of it? Or did he waste this gift he was just now starting to appreciate?

More than two decades had passed since the first time this so called “natural disaster” occurred for the first time, devastating most of the world and its civilization.

When scientist picked on the sudden changes of the moon structure they started to investigate right away. They were so baffle by the condition of the moon that they did not anticipated its consequences on the surface of the planet soon enough. The oceans levels started to rise, drowning entire cities, and before anyone could do anything the titanic Moon Tears fell to the planet, erasing more that 75% of its emerged surface, and annihilating almost the entire human race. Those few lucky enough to survive where left with nothing but a devastating moor of death.

Jinyoung’s mother used to talk to him about the old era of the planet. She used to live in a small village at the base of a mountain with her. She would describe the green dense forest that surrounded her house with dreamy nostalgic eyes that would get watery every time she tried to talk about her parents. She, among many other survivors, managed to outlive the disaster thanks to the strategic position of their towns. Some came from villages or cities located on mountains high enough to not get swipe away by the tides; others managed to avoid the collision of the Tears because they were simply on the other side of the planet the moment they landed. But surviving the disaster was not enough for many, as illnesses and famine would take the lives of many, including Jinyoung’s grandparents.

Left alone in a devastated world, Jingyoung’s mother took refuge in the arms of a man her same age. As she would tell her son repeatedly, they did not love each other, but they had no other choice but to stay together. And so, they conceived Jinyoung and tried to live together as normally as every other person in the planet could. However it would not take long until the harsh condition of the planet claim Jinyoung’s dad life as well.

Jinyoung grew alone with his mother within a small community of people. Most of them were from the same general region as his mother; others arrived there in search of a better life and decided to stay, realizing that was the most they would get. There were not many people in the same age range as Jinyoung, as not many women could survive pregnancy after the events of the Lunar Cry. The few children that were born in those decades and managed to reach adulthood were soon nicknamed The New Hope Generation.

When jinyoung’s fourteen birthday arrived he already knew what was expected of him. He would have to choose one of the three girls of his same age on the community to try to repopulate the planet. Some of the elders half joked about how he should just choose all three of them, but many others disagreed, as they still tried to keep a hold on their old traditions and values. However, to everyone’s dismay, Jinyoung chose none of them.

Most of the community was enraged by his actions, as they considered it was his responsibility to carry on the human race. So they laid the decision on the girls, but none of them wanted him, choosing one of the other few boys in the community, Mark, as their companion, even if he was nineteen and had already chosen a wife. The only person who stood up for him was his mother.

Even in the harsh conditions he had to live, Jinyoung got to experience the sweetness of a world he never saw through his mother. She always made sure to let jinyoung rest from the hard work every person young enough was forced to do to maintain the community, and she even taught him how to read with an old book she managed to keep with her for her entire life. She gave him knowledge and freedom, and he would never let anyone take it from him.

When the people in the community threatened to forced jinyoung into having ual relationships with one of the girls, his mother took him and announced they were leaving the community, before she quickly proceed to pack both their things and searched for the reason it all started, the boy her son choose to live with, Jackson.

The now thirteen years old boy arrived with his grandfather at their camp when he was just five, and since the moment they met, both boys had been best friends. Not long after that, the boy became one of the most hardworking people in their community, as he pushed himself to work hard enough for him and for his grandfather that had been incapacitated since a beast attacked the camp a few months after they arrived.

Jinyoung let out a soft chuckle as he remembered how desperate everyone got when they thought they were going to lose such a strong worker as Jackson was. Eventually they begged them to stay, even allowing Jinyoung and Jackson to be together, as long as they provided the community with enough resources to sustain the families of the girls they did not chose to marry.

The boys were total opposites. While Jinyoung lacked physical strength, Jackson had enough muscles to hunt any beast he encountered with his bare hands, which also meant he was the one carrying the burden of providing with sustenance to all the families they promised to take care of. On the other hand, it was jinyoung who managed the supplies of the entire community, which granted him with the title of honorary mayor of their camp.

Jinyoung spent a good amount of nights trying to teach numbers and letters to Jackson, but to no avail. The younger boy was easily distracted by jinyoung’s voice, or lips, or hands, or whatever part of him he chose to focus on that night, and before they could even start the class they would end up intertwined in a heated mess of kisses. Jackson admired jinyoung’s passion for knowledge, but in a world like the one they lived in, he could not afford to lose time trying to think. He needed to take action, so the man he loved could survive and focus on making their lives easier.

“Thinking about me again, are you?”

The deep voice took Jinyoung out of his thoughts. When he looked away from the threatening sky he was graced with his lover’s goofy smile.

“I brought some bread, but there was nothing else left... I’m sorry; I wanted to give you a fancy dinner today but...”

“It’s okay. I figured the rest of the people would have taken everything there was in the storehouse.”

Jackson sat beside Jinyoung on the floor as he placed the bread and a small ensemble of wild flowers in front of the older boy.

“I know you don’t like cutting off flowers but...giving the circumstances I thought you’ll like to have theses here”

Jinyoung took the small bouquet and inhaled the aroma of the flowers before placing a small kiss on his lover’s cheek.

They had arranged to meet that afternoon at the edge of the small forest that grew near their camp. They needed to finish a few things before everything was over, say goodbye to a few people, but their last moments were reserved for each other.

“So how was your mom? Is she not coming?”

Jinyoung turned to look at the sky one more time.

“She decided to stay with your grandpa, as she knew you wouldn’t rest well knowing he was alone when it happens...Also, she just couldn`t dare to watch it happen again”

Jackson’s eyes opened wide before he release a long deep sigh.

“I hope she knows I am deeply grateful, I tried to convince him to come, but he preferred to stay in bed and just...wait for it”

They both stayed silent for a few seconds, watching the sky with a mix of terror, dread and fascination. However Jackson broke the silence quickly, as he desperately needed to fill the few moments he had left of life with Jinyoung’s voice.

“What did you and your mom do today? I just spent the day talking about my parents with Grandpa...He said they would be proud of me!”

Jackson’s voice managed to keep its happy and excited tone even in a situation like the one they were in, but that was enough to calm Jinyoung’s nerves for a moment, filling him with a hope he thought he had completely lost.

“I’m sure of it, just as much as I am!”

Jinyoung laughed as Jackson’s cheeks turned red. He decided to change the subject quickly or Jackson would just stay quiet. He used to love the way the embarrassment made him act cute and shy, but right now he needed the usual loud Jackson to cheer him up.

“Well, I read my mom the book she used to read me when I was a child, and then we hugged for a while...We really had nothing left to say to each other, and I didn’t want to say goodbye...not to her, nor you”

“Yeah, you are right, we shouldn’t say goodbye. After all, I did promise I will be with you for all eternity remember?”

Jinyoung smiled at the memory. They were not even dating by that time, but they were already inseparable. Jinyoung had fallen down the edge of a small cliff ehile searching for food, landing on his foot, almost breaking it and making it impossible for him to move. He screamed, but no one came, and once night fell upon him he was certain he was going to die there.

As he was about to lose all hope and let himself fall asleep he heard his voice from somewhere about. It turned out that Jackson had been searching for him all day, and even when the rest of the people told him that once night fell he should give up, that a child alone could not survive the harsh nights alone, he kept looking for him.

Jackson rolled down the cliff, which in hindsight was not the best idea, and hugged him.

After that, both of them stayed up all night, waiting for dawn to come so they could move more safely. While they waited Jackson kept repeating the same thing again and again, while planting kisses all over jinyoung’s face.

“I’m so sorry; I should have come with you! I won’t ever leave your side again okay? I will be with you for all eternity, I promise”

Neither of them forgot that promise, and from that moment on Jackson became Jinyoung’s knight, even if it was completely unnecessary after he stopped going out into the wilderness for supplies.

Jinyoung watched the man sitting beside him with loving eyes, and thank the universe for letting him live by his side, even if it was for such a short period of time, but before he could open his lips, Jackson started to speak.

“You know? I’m glad everything turned out the way it did. It was because of all this I got to meet you, to be with you. I felt you next to me each night and morning, I heard you laugh every day. I got you for myself all of my life...I would love to have more time with you, but I’m happy with the time we got to experience each other”

Jinyoung smile at Jackson, before placing a hand on his cheek.

“Yeah, I think the same...I love you Jackson”

He then placed a sweet kiss on Jackson’s lips, as the muscular boy put his hands on his back.

Jinyoung had many things he wanted to tell Jackson, but that kiss said it all.

When the Tear struck the surface of the planet neither of them noticed. It was all done in less than a second. The last thing the couple felt were each other’s lips as they kissed passionately.

So I just wrote this in an hour or so I think, to celebrate both got7’s comeback and (thought probably most of you don’t know or maybe even care) Final fantasy’s anniversary (I got the Idea of the Lunar Cry from one of the games, but I changed it a lot hahah) because those are my two favourite things...So yeah! Hope you enjoyed! And forgive me for any mistakes!