chapter 1

My hyung's best friend

 

 

It was too late for a knock on his door but Minho assumed Taemin was too drunk to find his keys, getting up from bed he made his way to the front door and opened it, in front of him stood a smiling drunken boy, he glanced at his wristwatch and gave him a bad look before he let him in, Taemin crashed on the couch and fell asleep at the moment his head hit one of the decorative pillow.

Though Minho wanted to scold him for drinking again he went to the couch and lifted the boy in his arms, Taemin wrapped himself around him unconsciously and snuggled closer to his chest “I won’t...hmmm...drink again...” he mumbled.

Minho smiled, he couldn’t be mad at him for long, no matter how hard he tried, he kissed the boy’s forehead as he carried him to his room, after he placed him in bed he closed the door behind him and went to his own room.

 


 

“Morning...” Minho tapped the blender’s button when Taemin made his way into the kitchen. The boy groaned and covered his ears, hello hangover!

“Want a smoothie?”

“Turn it off!”

“What? I can’t hear you over the-”

Angry, Taemin got closer and pulled the wire from the plug, the blender stopped working immediately and it all became quiet.

“Grumpy” Minho teased.

“I have a headache”

“I wonder why exactly…”

“Shut it, Minho”

Minho chuckled and poured the smoothie into two glasses, he placed one on the kitchen island while Taemin took a seat.

“Drink quickly, I’ll take you to class so you won’t be late”

“I’ll go to the second class”

“No...”

“I’m not even awake yet”

“You will on the way, last time you said you’ll go to the second class I’ve found out you missed the whole day”  

“I hadn’t missed anything important”

“Jinki is paying for your college studies-”

“I know, I know…” Taemin cut him off and placed his head tiredly on the cold counter “but… my head aches

“You should stop drinking every night”

“I was depressed, I needed a drink”

An amused smile crossed Minho’s lips as he crossed his hands over his chest “ah...depressed, again, why is it this time?”

Taemin lifted his head from the counter and smiled at Minho “because you don’t love me”

“I do love you-”

“-But as your brother” Taemin finished his sentence like he always did, after all it was Minho’s mantra, for the last 15 years Taemin loved his brother’s best friend, but the man refused to return his love.

“Now seriously, you drink too much”

The boy rolled his eyes and got up from the stool “fine, I’ll go to class”

Minho chuckled as he pushed his cellphone and car keys into his scrubs pocket “let’s go”

Taemin put his shoes lazily and fixed his hair with his fingers, though the smell of alcohol from the night before lingered from him there was no time even for a quick shower, when he looked decent enough they got out of the apartment.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Hello?”

“Hi…”

“Jinki!” Minho called excitedly, the report he was writing had been pushed aside so he could give his best friend all of his attention “how was your flight?”

“Tiring…” Jinki chuckled “I’ve just arrived at the dorms”

“How’s Italy?”

“Haven’t seen much yet, but the girls are pretty” Jinki said and they both laugh.

It was the first time they actually went on different ways since medical school, they studied and worked together for many years so when Jinki said he’s going to Italy for his advanced studies he couldn’t deny the fact he was going to miss him.

“How’s Taemin? I called him but he hadn’t answered”

“Probably sleeping at class, he came home drunk last night”

“Again?” Jinki asked a little surprised, ever since his brother got into college all he did was partying and drinking.

“Hmm…”

“Sorry”

“What for?”

“He bothers you much, I’ll talk to him”

“You know he never bothers me, I’m just worried about his liver”

They both laughed for their little unamusing medical joke.

“I’ll call him again later and scold him for that…”

“Yeah”

“Minho... thanks for watching him”

“Sure”

“Well, talk later, I’m going to eat something, I’m starving…”

They hung up the call and Minho got back to his report, small smile crossed his lips when he thought about Taemin, he truly loved that kid for more that he could ever tell him but he was too old for him, soon he’ll turn 35 and Taemin was only 20, he have nothing to do with an old man as he, besides, he was Jinki’s brother and he had no idea if his friend would be ok with his crave for his little brother, Minho had no choice but to push his love away for their own good, but pushing Taemin’s love was hard since they lived together.

After Jinki’s mother passed away 6 months ago, his friend had to take care of his little brother, since Taemin already got into college he thought about quitting advanced studies program so he could take care of him, Minho offered his help since he knew how hard his friend worked for the chance to get into the studies lists, he took Taemin in, gave him a place to live while his brother was abroad. Jinki sold his mother’s house after she passed away, with the money he could pay both his and Taemin’s studies, what left from the money he placed in the bank for savings.

Minho was happy he could help Jinki in time of need, having Taemin around was a bonus, even if he couldn’t really have him.    

“Dr. Choi…we need help in room number 3” a nurse ripped him from his thoughts, he raised his gaze at her and nodded before he pushed his report aside for the second time.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Pasta…?” Taemin asked at the moment he opened the door and sniffed as he walked in.

“Pasta with alfredo sauce, grilled vegetables and salmon stake” Minho said with a smile as he turned off the oven.

The boy’s stomach growled and he rubbed it unconsciously “great, I’m starving”

“Can you arrange the table?” Minho asked.

Taemin nodded and started to take the dishes out of the cabin “Jinki called me today” he said while placing plates on the table his eyes followed the elder as he talked “he says Italy is beautiful, especially the girls”

“Yeah, he told me that too, we talked earlier” Minho said with a chuckle as he placed the food on the table, he also placed wine.

“Oh!” Taemin smiled when he saw the bottle, he took it to his hands so he could appreciate it better but the elder took it away from him.

“That’s not for you”

“What? Why?”

“You drink too much. There is lemonade at the fridge, if you want you can have that” Minho said and sat by the table.

“I don’t drink too much!”

“You come home drunk almost every night…”

Taemin looked offended though Minho was right, sitting as well he took the fork in his hand and pushed a big slice of salmon steak into his mouth angrily. Lemonade, pfff.  

“Don’t be mad at me” Minho said softly as he took his own fork “I’m just worried about you, you’re like my little-”

“-Brother” Taemin spat the word, his tone was hurt, the word insulted him, he knew Minho was into men it wasn’t a secret, so why couldn’t he just love him the way he did?

“Would you stop saying that?!”

“What?”

“I don’t want you to love me as your brother, you know that”

Minho sighed and took a bite into his mouth, here we go again...

“Why don’t you love me for more than just your little brother?”

“Taemin-”

“I’m a man too, you like men, so why not?!”

“You’re-”

“Am I not your type?”

“Tae-”

“It’s because I’m not manly enough?”

“TAEMIN!” Minho called and slammed his hand over the table angrily making the boy shut immediately.

Taemin got up from the chair he was sitting on, his eyes were teary but he held himself from crying, he felt hurt but most of all humiliated “I truly love you even though you keep rejecting me” he said and turned toward the front door.

Minho jumped from his own chair and reached the boy before he could walk out of the apartment, he knew he would regret it later when he pushed him against the door and pressed their lips together.

Taemin froze, his heart pounded loudly in his ears when hot tongue slid his into his mouth softly and played with him oh so sweetly, soft groan escaped his throat when his body pressed to the door, locked against Minho’s firm body, his big hands palmed his cheeks making him close his eyes, reaching his hands he held on Minho’s wrists and angled his head for him to deepen their kiss.

Disappointed sound rumbled from his throat when they separated, he didn’t wanted to open his eyes, afraid it would be just one of his fantasies, when he eventually did he met Minho’s guilty eyes, gulping he pushed him away from him and got out of the apartment, his kiss was nothing more than pity.