Promise and Regret

I Promise [B.A.P YOUNGJAE ONE SHOT]

 

As the lights dimmed and the once filled arena was now empty, the band decided to leave and go straight to their hotel. The concert was a success; no conflict, no technical problems, the main vocals reached their high notes and perfected their adlibs, the rappers were able to rap at their fastest state, and the dancers never missed a beat. The whole staff decided to ask the band if they wanted to go out to celebrate for a job well done. All of the members cheered, all except one who was feeling rather under the weather.

“What’s wrong?” the younger band member asked

“Nothing, I just don’t really feel well” the man said softly, avoiding eye contact while doing so.

The members looked at each other as they wondered what was wrong with their friend.

“Come on man, you can tell us” his best friend said while throwing an arm around his shoulders.

The man showed a small smile and shook his head.

“It’s nothing, really” he took out his phone looked at the time. He looked at their manager and smiled weakly. He passed by them and immediately sat in their van.

The members looked worried until one of them figured out what Jae’s case is. Zelo, the youngest member, looked at his older members and gestured them to come closer. Although one of them shot him an incredulous look, he shook his head and gestured for them to come closer.

“I think I know what hyung’s problem is” he whispered

They all looked at him and gave him their attention, curious about why Jae was acting that way. When Zelo showed them a picture, they all understood and decided to let Jae go for the night.

They all went to the van pretending as if they don’t know what their member’s problem is. They all exchanged corny jokes on their way to their hotel, noticing how quiet Jae is. When they got out of the van, the 5 of them raced to their suite, as if they were a bunch of kids running in the playground. Their manager sighed and looked at Jae as he continued to peruse his newsfeed in his sns account.

When he was finally in his room, he immediately washed off all the makeup and sweat that covered his body. He was still quiet, still thinking of something, rather someone so important that he wondered how he was able to pretend so realistically, that he was able to deceive their fans of what he was actually feeling that night.

He plopped on his soft bed, and once more scrolled down his facebook account. It was pretty unusual for him to open his account since he doesn’t really like using his sns, so much for Facebook, something that cannot be found by any of his fans.

There was a soft knock on his door and knew that it was his best friend Daehyun. The knock was gentle, knowing that that is his best friend’s way of asking if he was ok. He opened the door and did see him with a plastic bag by his side.

“What’s that?” he asked

“It’s your favorite mango ice cream!” Daehyun exclaimed

He smiled a bit and let the cheerful man in.

“I remember how you said you love the mango ice cream here in the Philippines so I decided to ask manager Kang if he could buy you some.” He said as he took out a spoon for Jae and another for him.

Jae shot him an incredulous look and laughed. Daehyun smiled and showed him another cup of ice cream that was only for him. He smiled at his gluttonous friend and ate quietly.

“I know today’s really rough, we know. Just take it easy and rest okay?” Daehyun said as he gently clapped the man’s back. He left the room as soon as he can and told their manager that Jae’s going somewhere, knowing well that his best friend would sneak out at night, specifically around 10:30 pm to calm himself down.

As Jae rolled on his bed, he looked at his bedside table and saw his small clock. The long hand is now at 6 and the small hand is on 10. He let a sigh slip out of his mouth and covered his face. He closed his eyes and forced himself to hold his tears, no, not there, not then, not yet.

He took his black mask that covered his nose to his chin and decided to leave his room. With the coast clear, he shot straight out of his room and walked outside of the hotel.

He waited for a jeep to pass by so he can signal it to stop. He silently, without him knowing, smiled underneath his black mask, remembering how she taught him how to ride a jeep in the Philippines. He never really thought he can actually do it on his own, he always thought that he would need her every time he rides one.

He reached out to the passengers to pay for the cheap fare and told the driver where he’ll go. He took out his phone and plugged in his earphones distracting himself from the people looking at him curiously. He let himself be immersed in the sweet melody of the song she used to sing for him, the song she used to play every time she was playing the piano, every time he felt forlorn.

When he reached his destination, he told the driver to stop and went down. It was the seaside, the place they used to go to whenever he visited her country. There was never a day when he visited that they didn’t go to that place since she finds that place peaceful and calm. She loved the sound of the waves, the birds, she loved looking at the clouds artistically scattered and painted with various colors, the moon and stars that would shine brightly from where they would sit, the perfectly drawn horizon, and the splashes were seen on the water; it was enchanting.

He sat down on their usual spot, trying his best to remember how their arms would brush against each other. He imagined that she was still there, that she was still alive and well, and that she was still his best friend.

He took out a rose from his hoodie and twirled it in his hands. He remembers how she used to love roses especially ones in full bloom, although she persisted that she can’t smell the fragrance of the rose, she still loves placing it on her nose. He would often laugh at her and would poke her forehead with the stem.

He looked at his phone and saw that there are only a few minutes left until 11 pm. He held onto the rose tightly with his left hand, and on his phone on the right. He looked at his device, eyes ready to burst from all the emotions he held back from when he arrived in the Philippines.

“I promise ^^” he read out loud as his hot and salty tears crawled towards his cheeks.

A promise that she wasn’t able to fulfill, not after that wretched night when he was nowhere in sight, and she was all alone after school. They were having a voice call that night, planning humorously on what they would do together once the band finishes their schedule and Jae would visit her after 8 months of not seeing each other. He is her best friend after all.

“What about your boyfriend?” he asked jokingly, not showing her a sign of pain

“Don’t mind him, he told me that he’s busy so I guess we can have the time when you come back here!” she said cheerfully

She ended the call when she told him that she’s on her way home. But of course, that didn’t stop them from exchanging messages on Facebook. He was excited to surprise her at her school the next week; he already booked his flight since their schedule would end the day after tomorrow. The girl then told him that she’s almost out of battery and that she would just message him once she’s home.

“I promise ^^” she messaged as he finally saw her go offline.

He practiced after that but something wasn’t right. It was already 10:30 and she hasn’t messaged him yet. Maybe she forgot? Or maybe she was drinking her medicine? Or maybe just traffic? There’s nothing he should worry about, right?

He was getting antsy when the clock at 11 pm. She still didn’t message him, nor has she called him. It was unusual.

When it was 11:26, there was still no message and he was getting really vexed at the situation. He tried to call her but her phone was out of battery, and there was no other way of contacting her. He tapped his foot and decided to call his friend in the Philippines to ask if he could go check on her. His friend replied with a “sure” as he went out to her house.

He was becoming restless as minutes passed by. He kept looking at his phone and prayed that nothing bad happened to her. But as the clocked reached 11:47, his phone rang, it was his friend. He heart skipped a beat and knew something was off.

“Jae, she’s in the hospital right now” he said in a low voice, as he tried his best not to startle the man

“What?! What happened to her?” he exclaimed, jumping right out of his seat.

“I found her a few feet away from her house, lying on the cold asphalt. Blood was all over the place. I called the ambulance as soon I can.”

Tears started to roll on Jae’s cheeks, frustrated on how he wasn’t able to protect her, on why he was in another country, on why he didn’t think of this sooner. His friend could’ve saved her if he came earlier, but no, it took him a while to realize and now he doesn’t even know if she’s alive anymore.

“And” his friend started

“I saw her boyfriend”

Jae remained quiet

“Kissing another girl” his friend said as soft as he can.

That did it; Jae stormed out of their practice room, startling the members, and went to the rooftop of the building. Zelo followed him in case, only to find him yell and curse out loud on top of their building. He was crying, yelling, cursing, and punching the wall, venting out all his emotions in the open where no one can see him.

When he arrived, he saw her lifeless body inside the beautifully carved white casket in her house. He cried and ignored everyone who tried to comfort him. It was too painful, too sorrowful for him to handle, to see his beloved best friend, his love, dead. And so he left her house, only to see his best friend’s boyfriend in front of the door holding flowers. He looked at his eyes and saw no tears, no sorrow, just pity, and mock sadness. He snarled and punched the man. Daehyun pulled Jae before he could do more damage. He held his arms trying his best to stop his friend from thrashing the man, even though he knew well that he deserves it. He began to lash out at him, cursing him, and blaming him why he wasn’t there, why he let her go home alone, and why he cheated on her.

“You were supposed to be the one to take care of her!” he yelled at him.

He shook his arms to let go of Daehyun’s clutches and left. He never forgot the weeks that came after, anguish never left him. He stayed in the country for a while, just until the burial.

It was the most painful one to witness, his best friend leaving him forever. He cried and drank the nights away. He missed her so much that he thought of committing suicide. But knowing that his best friend would be mad at him if he did such, he didn’t. Funny, thinking how much he knows what her reaction will be.

He scrolled back on their conversations and saw that one time when he told her his problems

“Don’t do anything stupid Jae, everyone has problems, focusing on it will just make you feel depressed. Move on and don’t end the line here. Everything will be alright soon ^^ ♥” she said

He couldn’t contain his tears that moment and just let out everything through tears. But he put her words in his heart and continued to live life. After a while, he became a successful artist not only known in Korea but around the world as well.

Reminiscing to all those painful and heart retching memories in that spot near the sea made him weep silently. He looked at his phone and saw that it was already 11:47 pm. He threw the rose into the sea and prayed for her.

He closed his eyes and let the wind caress his face gently as if it was her who was touching him tenderly, wiping his tears away.

“I miss you” he whispered to the wind

He took out a piece of paper filled with everything he wanted to tell her, his apology, his plan, his frustration, his regret, and all his emotions. He then took out a lighter to burn the piece of paper by his side.

“I hope you get to read my message” he said as he sighed gently.

A soft splash then echoed through his ears and knew for a fact that she’s with him at that very moment.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you. I’m sorry this happened to you. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you what I feel” he whispered, pretending that she can hear him.

He let out another sigh as he looked at the ashes that were once his letter. He let out a sigh of content and walked for a few minutes. He listened to her favorite song once more and felt the frustration come back. It wasn’t his greatest frustration that he wasn’t able to protect her, no, his greatest frustration is not being able to tell her what he really felt, that she was the girl of his dreams and that he fell in love with her.



Hi again everyone! I hope you liked this story even tho it's really sad. I know there are some things here that aren't really important, but the homework is to create a story with "Facebook, a clock, a jeep, and a band" in it. Ended up with this hahaha thanks for reading ♥