Unbelievable...

Call Log

The last class for today was dismissed early because of some unknown reasons and of course we were ecstatic to the news! But not me. Well, I’m happy too but not really. Thursday in our area is like Friday in other areas – the last day in the week – and the week begin on Sunday. The last and the most boring class dismissed early on a Thursday is a really really, good news but I wish I had no extra class during Thursday night. The class that supposed to ended at 4pm was cut short so it ended only at 2pm. We aren’t allowed to bring phone at school so mom wouldn’t pick me up until exactly 4pm, meaning that I’ll have to stay here for 2 hours, doing nothing.

It was a nice day to say the least. The sky is up blue, the wind doesn’t blow really hard either like what have been going since few days back. There’s no littlest sign of rain will be pouring today. You know since like, three days ago the rain wouldn’t stop pouring. Every morning I had to wear my favorite, hot pink flip flop instead of a pair of shoes that dad just bought me last week. Weather was really really bad, but not today. I wish today would be a greater day by getting an email notification that extra class would be dismissed for today too. I sigh thinking the impossible, leaning my back against a wall of a class while having my seated on one of the benches that lined along the school hall way.

“Hey you, what are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at home already?” I perk up at the sudden voice coming at me. It was Chansook, the class pres.

“Oh – uh, my mom is not picking me up yet.” I answer in short, feeling kind of uncomfortable talking to someone I never really talk much with.

She doesn’t say anything but she nods her head anyway. I nod my head along with her with my attention still full on her, and then she takes a seat next to me. Why do you sit there Chansook-ah, that seat is empty doesn’t mean you can occupy it.

I don’t say anything at her action, but I look down while her attention is fully attached on the football field in front of us. She doesn’t really mind my presence anyway so I guess I should just do the same at her… Right?

Thirty minutes has passed by and Chansook is still there, not saying anything yet doing anything much except staring blankly at the field. I was actually kinda feel like she needs a friend to talk but I am too shy to start a conversation. There was time I was about to open my mouth and finally do something human will do when they start to feel awkward but then I re-thought my attempt and end up going on silent again.

you,” she says finally, I am kind of startled of her sudden action but I look up at her anyway. I feel like the shake in my voice is quite obvious judging from her reaction. “Y-yes?!”

She laughs at my respond, and she turns her head at me.

“You know Daehyun?”

Well, who doesn’t know him? The captain of basket team that always get the first place on every basket tournament high school level. Not only that he got a good leadership and skill, his face is a top quality too. Almost every day every time I passed his locker there are always letters wrapped in a pink envelope. Everyday, there’s almost no day that he doesn’t receive any. Well now thinking about him kinda got my cheeks burned slightly. He is a total eye candy after all, it’s almost impossible one can resist him. So if you ask me whether he makes my heart flutter or not at the mention of his name alone, the answer is obviously yes.

you?” Chansook tap on on my shoulder got me pulled back to reality. I blink my eyes and realized that I feel warmth around my cheek area, and so that I palm these buns on my face in shame. I nod my head slowly still overcoming the embarrassment.

Chansook laughs again, this time because I look stupid and like a desperate , looking so needy just by the mention of the heartthrob.

“Well I guess pretty much everyone in the school know that jerk”

Stupid me just realized something. I forgot that Chansook and Daehyun are cousins. And what I did just adds a list of stupid things you did when infatuated. I heard they live under the same roof, being Chansook parents who live overseas and so she stay with Daehyun’s family. She definitely will tell Daehyun that I got a crush on him. Well .

“Don’t worry, I will not tell him that.” She said as if she could read my mind. I look at her, jaws slightly dropped due the shock. I’m lost at words. And she’s just there sitting, shrugging her shoulder as if finding out someone who has a crush on your cousin is nothing.

you, can you talk?” she laughs this time. Well it’s a pretty funny scene actually. She is right. I’ve been only doing stupid stuffs while she tried to get me have some nice conversation with her. I straighten up my self and close my mouth, trying to be at least a little decent.

“Uh – um, sorry. Yes I can talk,” I grin this time. I don’t know what I do that. That just makes me look like an idiot to be honest. “And yeah, of course I know him. And… It’s nothing like you said! I mean, who doesn’t know him? He is the school heartthrob- I mean, he is the popular Jung Daehyun afterall!”

Wow I feel like I just did something decent in a while striking up those words in a full sentence without stuttering. I smile at I finished my sentence and she nods her head.

“Ah I see. Too bad then, when he likes you a little too much.” She shrugs and averts her glance back to the unoccupied field in front of us. I nodded my head in knowledge, before I finally decipher what she just said.

“I – him, what?!”

Did I heard it wrong? Huh? That must be a joke right. Yeah of course that’s a joke, when me and Daehyun never ever talked before. Well she is pretty rude for a starter. I thought we would be close friends. But she made fun of my feelings to him like this.

I wish she just laughed it off and curse at my ugly reaction to her obvious lie, but when she turns her face to look at me her facial expression is dead serious. she doesn’t look like she is joking around but that sudden confession was just, too counterfeited.

She then looks over my head like she is looking at someone, which makes me turn my head too and I found Daehyun standing there freezed while looking at Chansook. And then when he realized I’m looking at him too, he averts her attention at me. He is looking at me. Joke of the century. But this joke is what’s currently happening now.

“KIM CHANSOOK!” He said, his tone furious. It happened way too fast but the second I realized what’s happening I see Daehyun running after Chansook on the field.

Hold up, what’s happening here?

 

 

I’m sure it’s literally 12am in the morning when I hear a ring from my phone that I put on the bed side table. Damn who dare to call me at this hour? Annoyed, I then hurry grab my phone. I can’t handle the noise at this peaceful night so I don’t care who is that calling me and I just abuse that receive button on the screen.

“Who the is this?!” I hissed. Seconds passed and nothing happened. Not even a sound of breath can be heard from the other line. Slowly I begin to get the consciousness back within me and I start to think straight.

I pull back the phone from my ear and I check the caller’s number. It’s a number that I never saved before so this is probably someone I’m not really closed with since the only contacts in my phonebook are my family, and some of my best friends.

No one ever calling me since I don’t have much friends and what’s happening now? The idea creeps me up and but that doesn’t stop me to challenge my coward self and speak again.

“H – hello?” this time I try to sound as polite as possible, the contrary of what I did earlier. Maybe, maybe the caller is offended because of my sudden rude treatment.

Hey,” it’s a voice of a boy. My eyes go big at the voice I heard from the other line. “you, happy birthday to you.” He continues. I then sit up at the sudden voice that I don’t really know who, greeting me a happy birthday.

Is today my birthday?

“Who is this?” I ask. To be completely honest, I feel terrified. I don’t know who this random person and this person has the guts to call me and greet me a happy birthday. But his voice sounds nice and has a breezing vibe to my ears in a way.

This is you right?” I nod and of course he can’t see me doing that.

“Yes. Who is this? How do you get my number” I ask back, and somehow I gain more courage in doing so.

I’m sorry, I must have been disturbing your sleep,” he sighs, a sense of guilt is rather apparent on his voice. “I hope I’m the first one to greet you a happy birthday though.” He chuckles this time. He is quite weird but honestly he sounds rather cute. And his voice sounds like a voice I heard before…

“Okay thank you,” I sigh after he has done his sentence. A sound of chuckle can still be heard from the other line as I speak my words. It’s as if he is smiling right now. “Who are y–”

And before I could continue my words, the line has cut off.

In disbelief I pull back the phone and so I can see the monitor. Who dare to play with me like this?! Furiously I try to call back the number that suddenly called me and disturb my beauty sleep – but hey, he was the first one to greet me birthday. Hehe. Someone beside my family actually remember my birthday. Even my best friends sometimes forgot my birthday.

My attempt to talk again with that mysterious caller has gone vain. Just how many times I try to call him I was always met with the voice of bot saying that the number is currently unable being called. I sigh, feeling annoyed. Probably I was just dreaming? I mentally slap my self at the realization and proceed to mess my hair. I must be crazy. I must be crazy. I must have gone desperate to have a boyfriend.

 

 

My morning went by very smoothly. When I woke up and meet everyone on the dining table they take turns to greet me happy birthday. Mom and my older sis gave me each a kiss on both sides of my cheeks. Dad just like his usual classy self, greeting me a happy birthday behind his newpaper and has promised that he will give me this latest model of phone in the trend. Of course I cheered at that.

It was a perfect morning, except the dark below my eyes, and that reminds me to the thing happened last night which cause my two hours worth of sleep went on a waste. After the whole mysterious call thing, I couldn’t sleep. I was making sure that what happened wasn’t only in a dream. The next time I woke up at 6am I make sure again that I wasn’t only dreaming when I saw the call log from last night is still there.

Mom is driving me to school like usual while me in the passenger seat, looking at the passerby outside and the house that we always pass every morning on the way to school. Then I caught my reflection on the glass and how I look like a zombie.

When we arrive, like usual I kiss her cheek before I drop out of the car and she tell me that she will be picking me up and I shouldn’t go anywhere. I nod and wave my hand a goodbye, waiting for her car disappear in the distance. I sigh, with my backpack weighting my back and move my heavy steps toward the locker. It was still 8am and school is still pretty empty. It’s not that it’s completely empty but I don’t see as much people when it’s 8.45am.

From a far I see a red thing sticks out of my locker, which makes me squint my eyes. A rose? i then pace faster toward my locker and found an indeed, a fresh rose, sticking out my locker. Huh? A whole thing happened feels like a dream, so I slap my self to make sure that I’m not dreaming. It hurts. So it’s not a dream after all.

This is ridiculous. There’s nothing like this happened to me before and this never happened to my life before. I never ever once received any rose, or just any surprises in general but this happened. What’s going on?

Hold on, this could be a joke. Or someone mistook my locker as other person’s.

I shrug it off and pull the rose out of my locker. Yeah, that’s possible. That must not be for me. I nod as I make my self clear and I unlock my locker to get the books for today’s class.

A card flies down from my locker, and drops right on my feet.

A “Happy birthday you. I like you.” is faced up at me for me to read. This isn’t a joke after all.

Well this is creepy.

I look around and found no one, literally I am the only one in the locker room. Crouching down, I take the card and take a look on it, flipping the card so that I can get a better view and inspect it. I sigh in disbelief. This total thing happening is really ridiculous and creepy.

“Is today your birthday?” a sudden voice cracks the silence at that very moment. I am surprised and I fall down on the floor. In front of me, there stands our school heart-throb, Jung Daehyun.

Daehyun looks exceptionally handsome today. His hair that usually styled and combed is pretty messy today, but not like the disgusting type of messy, it’s as if he styled his hair so it looks messy. Overall, he still looks so handsome. And I didn’t realized I have been looking at him with my jaw dropped.

“Y – yes.” I stutter. He extends his arm, offering a help so that I can get up. The mesmerized, idiot me decided to just watch his hand like a dumb, before he finally grab my hand and pulls me back so that I stand up.

He smiles, that one hundred percent watt of smile. I still mesmerized at his beauty being so close with my eyes to see like this so I didn’t realized he is laughing at me. I must have looked so stupid right now.

“What a coincidence! I bought extra chocolate today on my way to school. Take this as your birthday present from me.” A chocolate bar that I know doesn’t cost cheap is being offered at me. I, again, only looking at his hand and the chocolate without being able to say, or do anything.

“Really?” I said in disbelief as I shift my glance to his perfect face. He nods and smile.

“Happy birthday to you, you.” He said as he take my hand and put the chocolate on my hand. It’s as if he take over the remote of my body system and he turns off my ability to speak. I am totally bewitched.

I am unable to say or do anything except only looking at him, and that’s it. I don’t even get to say thank you when he leave and left me there, alone, with a rose and a birthday card on my hand, and a chocolate bar on my other hand.

Daehyun has already gone from my sight when I realized something.

 

That voice…?