Dreamy

Companion

 

 

 

     It was the most beautiful wedding Jiyong had ever seen. Crystal candelabra on every table & flowers literally dripping from the ceiling. It was surreal. Like a fairytale. 

 

     Bae appeared in front of him looking more than handsome in his tuxedo, his face beaming with happiness. He held out his hand for the first dance.

 

     But it was not Jiyong who took it. 

 

     Ji watched from the sidelines as Bae proudly whisked his beautiful new bride onto the dance floor. And his heart broke as Bae smiled lovingly down at her. He was glad to see his best friend so happy, but it hurt knowing that she now had everything that he had ever wanted. 

 

     Why, oh why hadn’t he said something? Why hadn’t he just opened up to Bae about his feelings? 

 

     “Because you believed he’d never love you back,” he thought to himself. 

 

     A tear slipped down his cheek. 

 

     It was too late now. There was nothing to say. His Youngbae was a married man. Nothing he could say would change that. And he’d never know how Bae would have responded had he just told him. 

 

     Ji woke up with tears pouring down his cheeks. It took him a moment to realize where he was. He was in bed. In Bigbang’s old dorm room. They’d planned to stay there together the night before following the Last Dance finale & after-party there in Seoul.  

 

     “The wedding...” he murmured as he looked around the room. “It was all just a dream!” 

 

     He wiped his aching eyes. He’d drunk way too much last night at the after-party. And then with waking up in tears... He needed an aspirin. And some coffee. Immediately. 

 

     He stumbled into the kitchen just as the apartment door opened & a rather rumpled-looking Youngbae stepped inside. 

 

     “Maybe this is my chance,” Ji thought. 

 

     But the thought vanished from his mind as soon as he saw Youngbae’s face. Bae looked like he was barely awake. His eyes were puffy, & Jiyong was pretty sure he’d been crying. And he wouldn’t look Ji in the eye. 

 

     “Are you ok?” Ji asked, worried. 

 

     “Bed. I need bed,” Bae mumbled in response & shuffled with his eyes half-closed toward the room that Ji had just vacated. 

 

     Ji was instantly at his side, his own headache could be dealt with later. 

 

     Youngbae climbed into bed & Ji pulled the blankets up to his best friend’s chin as Bae snored softly, having fallen asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

 

     Ji smiled fondly down at the man he loved, then turned to tiptoe out of the room, grabbing Bae’s jacket on the way out. But as Ji picked up the discarded coat, something fell out of the pocket & landed at his feet. He stooped to pick it up, but froze when he felt the soft velvet of the box. He hesitantly opened the lid, hoping against hope that what was inside wouldn’t be what he thought it was. 

 

     His heart sank as the diamond sparkled merrily at him. 

 

     It was a ring. And he knew he was not the intended recipient. 

 

     This might be his second chance, but it was going to be even harder than he thought.