Good to Hear you again.

Loves Quiet Place

 

 

The drive down to his parents house was a calm one for the two of them. Jinyoung had made reservations at a nice hotel in the central area of town. Something they both needed more so they wouldn’t be worrying about his parents walking in on them together or scaring Mark when he wasn’t paying attention. Not that they were unable to control themselves, but since having the first time, they became pretty comfortable spending their nights and mornings in the throws of passion, if time allowed them. It was almost a rush at this point to get home from school, or work, and see who could get the other to before dinner was ready.

 

Jinyoung had never had such stability in a relationship before, even his past boyfriend didn’t provide this feeling of total security to a point where Jinyoung felt more comfortable letting himself just have fun. He was always so focused on what he was doing, and they either faded away from him, not bothering to push their way into his schedule, or they fought too hard for him to break it; thus making him want to do the exact opposite.

 

Not Mark.

 

No, Mark found a way to work himself into all of Jinyoung’s free time, and slowly start to re-arrange his schedule in ways that weren’t so scary to Jinyoung. Ways that helped him not only get his work done better, but helped him to relax more. To say that he was thankful and grateful for everything Mark had brought into his life was an understatement. That’s why this trip was so important to him, he wanted to do everything to try and work with Mark and with his parents to help Mark get what he’d wanted for years.

 

“How much longer?” Mark looked over to Jinyoung, blinking the sleep from his eyes. He had fallen asleep a hour and a half into the drive and Jinyoung didn’t have the heart to wake him. Jinyoung just listened to the radio quietly while he figured out his game plan for this vacation, pulled from his thoughts only at the quiet voice of his boyfriend in the seat next to him..

 

“Not much longer love.” Jinyoung smirked, reaching over to give Mark’s hand a quick squeeze as he looked back over to the road.

 

“I’m excited to meet your family. I hope they like me.” Mark commented, curling back up in his seat, Jinyoung smiled and pulled the small blanket up over him more so he would stay warm before driving a little faster. He knew they were both ready to be out of the car and in Jinyoung’s home town.

 

The first stop was to the hotel to check in and drop off their bags. Mark used the bathroom while Jinyoung laid down to rest his back. Having been so upright for so long, took a toll on his muscles, and the comfortable memory foam under him had his back feeling brand new. He let his eyes flutter shut, taking a moment to himself to enjoy the quiet until he felt someone settle down in his lap. Peaking one of his eyes open, Jinyoung smirked seeing Mark straddling his hips, settled in his lap with an innocent look on his face.

 

“We don’t have time.” Jinyoung said looking right at Mark, who frowned in return. He bent down and nuzzled his nose against Jinyoung’s jaw before pulling his head up, so it was hovering right above Jinyoung’s own.

 

“When we get back then?” Mark asked, hopeful. Jinyoung nodded his head and leaned up to kiss Mark gently before he grabbed at Mark’s hips playfully.

 

“You know I’m never able to say no to you.” Jinyoung reminded, sitting up in a way that would keep Mark in his lap. Mark smiled, leaning in to kiss along Jinyoung’s jaw lightly in hopes of swaying him, but he could tell that Jinyoung wasn’t going to change his mind.

 

“Then we better get going, so we can get back soon.” Mark teased, nipping at Jinyoung’s lower lip. Jinyoung just smirked and nodded, patting Mark’s hips to signal him to get up.

 

Doing so, Mark quickly changed into something he felt was more fitting for meeting Jinyoung’s parents, this would be the first time ever and he knew how serious a move like this was. How it wasn’t normal for couples to be introduced to each others partners unless marriage was in their mind. Not that he and Jinyoung had ever spoke about it, honestly the idea that Jinyoung would be able to put up with his deafness until death do they part, scared Mark. He didn’t even want to deal with himself that long, he couldn’t fathom someone else doing so.

 

Back into the car they went, heading through the beautiful streets of Busan on their way to Jinyoung’s parents house. Or so Mark thought. He nervously chewed at his lip, hands fidgeting in his lap as he watched the scenes around him. When they pulled up at a hospital, he raised an eyebrow, turning to look at Jinyoung cautiously when the car was parked. He didn’t know why they were there, were Jinyoung’s parents old and ill? Was he only taking him to meet them because they were close to death? So many different scenarios ran through his head, he didn’t notice that Jinyoung had gotten out of the car until the door next to him opened and Jinyoung took his hand. Mark jumped, frightened from not knowing Jinyoung was there, before he undid his seatbelt and left the car.

 

“Why are we here?” Mark frowned while signing, keeping close to Jinyoung’s side.

 

“To meet my parents, come. We don’t want to be late.” Jinyoung signed back, nodding his head for Mark to follow. Cautiously he went, trailing a step behind Jinyoung so he could lead the way.

 

The hospital was as all hospitals seemed. Upscale, modern, clean. The girl at the front desk bowed her head at Jinyoung and Mark as they entered, Mark watched the two talk fast. He wasn’t able to keep up with what they were saying since neither looked at him, or talked slow enough. Frowning even more at that, he pinched Jinyoung’s side, giving him a look that he didn’t like being left out. Jinyoung frowned, rubbing Mark’s hand softly before he lead him towards one of the elevators.

 

“Jinyoung I won’t go any further, you know how much I hate hospitals. Why are we here?” Mark’s tone was serious, glaring at his boyfriend, as they stood in the elevator. Jinyoung sighed, leaning against the wall to look directly at Mark.

 

“Because this is where my parents work, so we are going to see them. They are off their shifts soon and we will go from here to their house.” Jinyoung said slowly, making sure Mark was following along, reaching out to take Mark’s hands in his own. It didn’t seem to help but Mark at least took a step closer to Jinyoung, pushing his head against his own, while taking a deep breath.

 

“Fine. Don’t take me to a hospital again please. They always bring bad news.” Mark let out a soft whimper, Jinyoung started to worry he wasn’t doing the right thing.

 

The doors opened and Jinyoung lead them down another hallway, reading the signs until he found his mother’s office. Knocking once, he heard her voice from behind the door and let himself in. Bowing his head, he saw his mother sitting at her desk, his father sitting in one of the chairs across from her. Leading Mark into the room, he dropped his hand to go hug his parents tightly, happy to see them after so many years. They looked so happy to see their son, pulling away from him only to wave Mark over. Nervously he looked at them, eyes darting back and forth between the parents, before he bowed his head out of respect and took a few steps closer.

 

“I have to say sorry in advance, I’m deaf and can’t hear... what you’re saying. I’m good at reading lips though.” Mark said softly, watching them both carefully. Both of Jinyoung’s parents just smiled at him, bowing their heads in understanding before his mother gestured towards the seat in front of her desk. She said something to Jinyoung who nodded his head, moving to stand behind her.

 

“You had an accident when you were younger right? Jinyoung has told us some of the situation. We were thankful you released your medical records to us.” She spoke, Jinyoung signed behind her for Mark to read. Mark looked between the two of them confused, looking at Jinyoung’s hands before he turned to see both of his parents.

 

“Medical records? My doctor called me and asked for permission to send my file to the Otorhinolaryngology department at another hospital for a test of something. I wasn’t sure what was going on… I still don’t?” Mark said carefully, leaning back in the chair some.

 

“I see Jinyoung has kept you in the dark.” Jinyoung’s mother turned towards him with a glare, he couldn’t help but frown. He thought he was doing the right thing.

 

“You’re not only here to meet us formally because our son intends on marrying you, but you’re here for treatment.” Jinyoung’s father said, Jinyoung did his best to sign what his father said before he threw his arms up.

 

“Dad! He didn’t know that!” Jinyoung yelled, looking annoyed at his father.

 

“Which part?” He asked confused, looking around to his wife and Mark who sat there with his jaw dropped.

 

“You want to marry me?” Mark looked to Jinyoung with wide eyes, Jinyoung nodded his head yes and sighed.

 

“Of course I do. How could you think anything else.” Jinyoung frowned while he signed, moving from behind his mother to kneel down near Mark, taking his hands in his own, making sure he was looking directly at him.

 

“Mark, my parents are the Otorhinolaryngology department at this hospital, they were the ones who requested everything when I told them you were deaf. They think… if you’re willing, there is a procedure that can be done, which might restore some, if not all, of your hearing.” Jinyoung spoke slow, clear, making sure that Mark got every word. Sitting there watching Jinyoung, Mark felt a mix of emotions. He felt fear, anger, hope, sadness, and joy. He knew that Jinyoung had his best interest at heart but how many times was he going to get his hopes up only to be let down again.

 

“Many people before have asked about things like this, made false promises to me… What is to say this is different, or that I will even be able to pay for it?” Mark frowned, eyes moving from Jinyoung to his parents.

 

“If you allow us to be in contact with your parents, we would like to offer our services to you, in favor to our son.” Jinyoung’s father spoke, Jinyoung signed what his father was saying before he moved to squeeze Jinyoung’s shoulder.

 

“What does that mean?” Mark looked confused, turning his attention up to Jinyoung’s mother.

 

“We would like to perform the operation pro bono, at no cost to you or your parents. We want to do anything we can for our son, and he’s expressed to us how this would help you, how happy it would make you if things went successfully. He knows you lead a good quality of life now, but has made it clear he will do everything to make it better for you, any parent would go to the ends of the earth for their only son, and if you’re to be family some day, then it’s only right we do everything we can to help.” Jinyoung’s mother said, looking nervously to her son after. Jinyoung nodded his head and turned to look at Mark.

 

He didn’t want to cry, he almost never did at the actual doctors office. He always waited until he got home to have his meltdown. Jinyoung noticed the signs of it though, the way Mark’s eyes started to well with tears, the nervous shifting of his hands and feet, the way he kept chewing at his lower lip. Not the reaction he thought he was going to get but he quickly looked to his parents and said something to them, something Mark couldn’t catch, but both his parents got up and bowed their heads, stepping out for a moment. Mark watched them leave and waited a minute before shoving Jinyoung away from him.

 

“Why would you do this to me!” He whimpered, wiping at his eyes as the tears started to fall. He got to his feet quickly and moved towards an empty section of the wall. Jinyoung looked shocked, confused even. He walked closer to Mark’s body, moving him so he was looking face to face with Jinyoung.

 

“What do you mean why? You have told me so many times how you want your hearing fixed, you would do anything. How bad your episodes get every time you get bad news. My parents want to help, at any cost. I wanted this to be… a surprise for you.” Jinyoung spoke and signed, making sure that Mark got everything he was saying. Mark watched carefully before he shook his head no.

 

“What if it doesn’t work? What if I go through surgery, and your parents do all this work for me… and I still can’t hear? You’re going to be stuck with a deaf boyfriend the rest of your life. You.. nobody will ever want to deal with that.” Mark whimpered, wiping at his eyes in hopes the tears would stop blurring his vision. He had to take several deep breaths, moving to grip at Jinyoung’s biceps.

 

“I don’t care if you’re deaf, how many times have I told you this?” Jinyoung yelled, even if Mark couldn’t hear him, he felt it. Felt the anger in Jinyoung’s words as he looked at him with wide eyes.

 

“You are my everything. You are my life. Hearing or no hearing, that does not change where my heart is. My parents are going to do this for us because they love me, and I love you, and that means they will love you as part of our family. I need you to trust that if this does not work, nothing will change.” Jinyoung spoke and signed to make it clear. Mark whimpered, covering his face with his hands as he cried.

 

“I’m scared…Nyoungie I’m scared. What if this doesn’t work...” Mark sobbed, body shaking as he moved to curl up into Jinyoung. Sighing, Jinyoung moved to wrap his arms tightly around Mark, drawing him near to his chest as he kissed along the top of his head. He was scared too, there was no question about that, but this was best for them right? Jinyoung sighed, looking over as his parents came back into the room.

 

“Is he okay?” His mother asked, walking over to put her hand on both of their shoulders. Jinyoung nodded and held Mark closer.

 

“He’s very scared. Many doctors before you have told him they would help and none ever have, he’s worried he will be let down and that I’ll leave him because he’s deaf.” Jinyoung sighed, Mark pulled his head up. He felt the vibration of Jinyoung talking and looked over at him to see what he was doing. Mark noticed his parents came back in and felt embarrassed by it, pulling away to wipe his face and bow his head.

 

“I’m sorry for crying, I don’t know how to properly express how thankful I am that you both would be willing to help me like this. There is no end to the love I have in my heart for the two of you, and for your son. I will work hard to pay you all back for this.” Mark bowed again, body bent in half as he looked at the ground. Jinyoung’s mother took a moment before moving to straighten Mark’s body up so he was looking at them.

 

“Love my son. Love him with a love this world has never seen before. Care for him. Help him through his schedules, be there for him when he gets difficult, tend to him when he’s sick. Share your meals with him, share your time with him, keep a smile on his face even when times are hard for the both of you. Love him louder and stronger than anyone ever has before, including us.” Jinyoung’s mother stated, looking directly at Mark as she spoke. He nodded his head to show he was following along.

 

“That is the only payment I want. To sleep well knowing that no matter what, my son is safe in this world. That he is being loved, and that he is happy, is more payment than any parent could ever ask for.” She felt her own tears well up, it was clear the love she had in her heart for her son. Jinyoung’s father walked over and rubbed his wife’s back, content to stand close to his son and her while they shared their moment.

 

“Jinyoung promise us that when all is said and done, when you get your medical degree, you will move to Busan and finally come be with us, here at the hospital.” Jinyoung’s father said, looking hopeful at his son who took a moment to think before he nodded his head.

 

“I will talk it over with Mark later. I don’t make choices for just myself anymore, I have to consider what is best for him as well.” Jinyoung said and that seemed good enough for them.

 

“Good. We should head to dinner now.” Jinyoung’s father added, moving to gather up his things.

 

“We’re going to dinner now.” Jinyoung signed for Mark who nodded his head, wiping at his eyes as he kept close to Jinyoung’s side, his body in a fragile state from the weight of the news. This was a lot for him to deal with, he was ready to sleep and let his body relax from the stress, but he couldn’t say no to dinner with Jinyoung’s parents, not after everything they were willing to do for him.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“They are going to WHAT? Are you sure?” Mark’s father nearly shouted over facetime, signing to his son who nodded his head yes.

 

“They want to do it all for Jinyoung, and for myself because of us being together. Father… I want you and mother not to worry about me with this. We plan to stay in Busan while this is all happening, during my recovery at least. I will come see you both after all is said and done.” Mark smiled brightly, still in awe over what had been happening over the last several weeks since he’d accepted Jinyoung’s parents offer, all the tests and forms he’s had to fill out to make everything possible. It felt like he was living a dream, but without the financial burden everything was actually going forward for once.

 

“No. We will come to you in Busan. We will want to officially meet his parents, to thank them in person for all they have done for our family. To take them out to dinner, anything to pay them back. You tell us when everything happens, we will be right there.” Mark’s dad signed, his face serious to let Mark know he meant business. Mark just smiled and nodded his head, his father seemed pleased with that.

 

They said goodbye to Mark’s parents and Mark sent him an email with all the information about the procedure. The dates they had everything set up, the locations to everything, Jinyoung’s parents names and address. Once his email was done, he left the little sitting room of the suite they had rented for their weekend stays in Busan to find Jinyoung doing school work in the bedroom. The place had started feeling like a second home to him, how often they were there, how he became familiar with the places to eat and the shops around them. Mark liked to take his quiet time at a local cafe, drawing in a corner he now considered his own while Jinyoung would deal with his parents or work on his homework.

 

They spent most of their meals at Jinyoung’s parents house, going over everything that would take place in detail. His procedure would be installing the newest version of the cochlear implant, which was exciting for Mark in so many ways. This new version was almost unnoticeable compared to the older models. Nobody would be able to tell Mark had it, and the quality of sound, plus the recovery time were said to be the fastest of all the operations out there. Not many people had it, which meant Mark was agreeing to be, in a way, a test subject, but it was hope; and he was clinging to that. For the sake of not only his own future, but his life with Jinyoung.

 

“You were in my dreams last night again, talking to me about how much you loved me.” Mark moved Jinyoung’s books and crawled into his lap, looking Jinyoung in the eyes.

 

“Then it was not a dream, because I love you very much.” Jinyoung smiled, arms wrapping around Mark’s torso drawing him closer.

 

“I wonder if when… this happens, your real voice will match the voice in my dreams.. If my own will? What do I sound like?” Mark wondered, pulling his lower lip between his teeth as he thought.

 

“Oh, it’s really high pitched, shrill even. Like listening to nails on a chalkboard.” Jinyoung smirked, yelping out when Mark pinched his side.

 

“Not nice! You take that back.” Mark frowned, pushing Jinyoung’s arms off of him.

 

“Sorry, sorry. It’s like… nails on a whiteboard.” He giggled, holding his chest, knowing Mark would try to twist his for teasing him. When he was right, he laughed more, eyes crinkling in the most adorable way, that had even Mark laughing.

 

“I remember what sound is like, and can hold onto it in my dreams. I never again thought that I’d be given an opportunity to do something like this. All because of you, because I sat on that bench at the right moment, on the right day, and forgot my jacket, which made you worry. If none of that had ever happened, I wouldn’t be here today. Did I ever tell you that I went back, to the bench that day. I saw you rushing back, looking for me. You found the note I had written you, my first drawing to you.” Mark smirked getting up from Jinyoung’s lap, moving to his bag, which held his post-it notes in it. Jinyoung raised an eyebrow and watched with a fond smile. Once Mark was paying attention to him again, he waved his hands.

 

“You never told me this. I went back because I wanted to yell at you for not wearing a jacket in such cold weather.” Jinyoung signed, watching Mark sit down on the floor between his legs. Mark scribbled down on the post-it note before ripping it off to stick to Jinyoung’s legs.

 

‘It’s the whole reason I came back again, to see you.’

 

Jinyoung smiled at the note and leaned in, kissing Mark gently. He moved to rest his fingers under Mark’s chin keeping him still before he took the pad and pen from him, writing his own note down. He stuck it on Mark’s cheek and smiled. Mark pulled the paper off and saw the little stick figure drawing Jinyoung had done. He laughed out loud, looking to Jinyoung before he read the message.

 

‘That became my only reason for sitting at the bench.’

 

Mark smiled, setting the notes down on the table before he wrote back to Jinyoung. The two of them talked like that until every pad Mark had was used up. The living space had become full of various colors of post-it notes. Filled with Jinyoung’s scribbles and Mark’s drawings. It was a total mess, but Jinyoung couldn’t find it in him to care about that, not when it came to Mark. He simply curled up with him close to his chest on the sofa, arms wrapped tightly around his body in the most protective manner. Mark had fallen asleep after a while, and Jinyoung didn’t have the heart to move him. They had one week until the surgery, he needed all the rest he could get. They would be back in Busan in seven days, and Mark would be hearing in eight.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“To the last day we will ever be able to talk about you behind your back.” Jackson held up his glass, a teasing smirk on his face. Youngjae reached across the table and smacked his chest, glaring at him before he held his glass up and looked at Mark.

 

“To the official start of your new life.” Youngjae gave Mark a proud nod. Everyone raised their glasses and cheered. Mark smiled wide, holding Jinyoung’s hand under the table as they drank in toast. It was the day before his operation, they were going to drive down to Busan as soon as they were done with dinner.

Their friends insisted that they all meet together, have a final meal in preparation for Mark’s surgery. Mark was feeling nervous all day, anxious to get all of this done and over with. Even after the procedure, he would need to heal before it could be , to ensure his body didn’t reject the new hardware that was going to be put inside of his head. The thought still made him shiver, remembering the detailed videos that Jinyoung’s parents had shown him about what was about to happen to him.

 

“You’re going to leave me high and dry in the hearing loss club.” Youngjae signed, frowning in a playful way. Mark knew that he was over the moon excited for him, that this was everything Mark dreamed of and more. Mark smirked, blowing Youngjae a kiss.

 

“Yeah, yeah. See if I don’t get the surgery myself!” He smirked, looking over when food was put on his plate for him. Raising an eyebrow, he watched Jaebum trying to sneak food onto his dish for him, swatting the male away, he put the food back on Jaebum’s dish.

 

“You sit on this side so I can’t hear you. Be lucky I let you sit next to me at all!” Youngjae growled, setting his plate back onto the table. Jaebum smirked, sitting upright.

 

“Baby, don’t be like that, you’ve let me walk you home every night this week.” Jaebum reminded, Youngjae just rolled his eyes and reached over to steal the food back, eating it without hesitation. Jaebum felt like that was enough of a win for now, that he shouldn’t test his luck again.

 

“I just wanted to thank everyone for supporting Mark through this, for making it an easy time for him. Without all of you, we wouldn’t be where we are today, and I’m thankful for you, all of you.” Jinyoung announced. Mark looked over confused, having been in the middle of eating when Jinyoung was talking. He raised an eyebrow and Jinyoung just giggled.

 

“I’ll tell you in two weeks.” Jinyoung signed, Mark smiled wide and nodded, going back to his food.

 

As soon as they were all done and the check was paid, they made their way out to the street. Everyone took their turn hugging Mark and wishing him good luck before giving him back to Jinyoung. He glared at some of them, yelling that their hug time with him was too long, and for them to go find their own. Of course it was all in jest, but still, Mark was his. He pulled Mark close to his chest in an exaggerated way, pointing to all of the boys reminding them to watch it.

 

Back into the car they went for the long drive to Busan. Jinyoung had spoken with his teachers in regards to his leave to take care of Mark. Given his outstanding grades, and the fact that he had most of his assignments for the entire year finished before they were even due, nobody gave him a hard time about not sitting in on the lectures. That offered Jinyoung some peace of mind even if he would continue to review, study, and do work while Mark was recovering from his operation.

 

The ride again was sat in silence, Mark sleeping to calm his nerves while Jinyoung took the time to gather his thoughts, wondering what would change in their life with Mark able to hear again. Would anything really be different? They were able to live a generally easy life, there were only a handful of times things got complicated because Jinyoung wasn’t able to look at Mark or sign when he needed something, but other than that, it was a completely cohesive relationship. Mark hearing would change a lot for him, and his life, but not between them. This was what he wanted, what he felt he needed, had he been adjusted and happy being deaf Jinyoung wouldn’t have pushed for the surgery at all. It was weird to think about. How no matter what happened between him and Mark, that he would go out of his way to support him, in whatever he decided to do.

 

They arrived in Busan in the early hours of the morning and made their way straight to the hospital. Since Mark’s surgery was at six in the morning, it was easier to nap there in the waiting room than bother checking into their suite for an hour of sleep. Jinyoung’s parents came into the room, prepared for surgery around 5:40 to go over everything again with Mark and Jinyoung. They explained the process, where the implants would be, how long it would take to recover before they could turn them on. Mark followed along with everything they were saying. Squeezing Jinyoung’s hand hard in fear until they left. The room now silent, he turned to Jinyoung and frowned.

 

“What if this doesn’t work?” Mark worried, though this was a question Jinyoung had heard at least three times a week since they started everything.

 

“It will work, and you’re going to be able to start a new life. If it doesn’t then nothing changes, and we keep living the life we’ve been living. Together you and I in our little apartment in Seoul.” Jinyoung reminded, bringing Mark’s hand up to his lips to kiss it gently. Mark took a deep breath and nodded, looking over when a handful of people came into the room to ready him for surgery. Shaving the part of his hair by his ear, marking the spot so everyone knew where it was going to happen, following every step perfectly to ensure that nothing could go wrong once Mark was taken out of the room.

 

“You are going to be okay, I will be right here when you wake up.” Jinyoung promised, leaning down to kiss Mark’s lips deeply before he was wheeled off to surgery, Jinyoung watched him go and sighed, heading down into the cafeteria to get himself some breakfast, to wait, to worry if everything was going to be okay. He knew his parents were respected in their fields, that Mark was getting the best possible care ever, but still, he was the love of his life; and that caused him to be even more on edge.

 

Four hours later, Jinyoung’s father walked into the cafeteria, searching for his son who had fallen asleep at his table. He shook Jinyoung’s shoulder to wake him up, saying his name a few times. Jinyoung woke with a jolt, looking around, confused, before he saw his father. Quickly, he got to his feet, wiping at his eyes before he nervously played with his empty coffee cup.

 

“He did great, everything went well, the device is testing perfectly. He’s sleeping now, we’ve moved him up to a room to recover. I called his parents to let them know how he’s doing, you can go see him if you want.” Jinyoung’s father smiled, patting his son on the shoulder. Jinyoung moved to hug his father tightly, thanking him over and over again before he rushed upstairs to be with his boyfriend. Jinyoung’s father watched his son run out with a laugh, shaking his head.

 

“Young and in love, my Jinyoung.” Jinyoung’s father laughed, sitting where his son was.

 

Jinyoung ran as fast as he could without running into things, Mark would want him there when he woke up, and he would not let him down.  

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The healing process was slow, Jinyoung babied Mark as best he could to ensure he did everything he needed to. He let Mark rest as often as he could, took on cooking most of the meals for them, whatever Mark wanted or needed, Jinyoung made sure it was done without question to assure that his recover was the top priority always.

 

Jinyoung’s parents said two to three weeks would be all it took for him to recover, but after talking it over they both wanted to wait until three weeks to be safe. Mark was growing restless, watching the hair grow back around the small device now implanted in the side of his head, finding it so weird how he almost couldn’t see it anymore. It was almost virtually invisible unless you went looking for it. Once his hair grew back, it would be impossible to see. He liked this over the older alternatives. Even the device connected to his ear was tiny, hidden under the skin instead of above it. Jinyoung’s parents really went all out for him.

 

Today was the day they were going to finally turn it on, and Mark felt nervous to see if it had worked or not. It had to have right? Every test he went for since the operation showed his body accepting the device rather than rejecting it, that he was healing quickly, and they expected nothing but success once the switch was finally flicked. Jinyoung walked into the hospital with Mark, holding his hand tightly as they went straight for the exam room that had been set up for him. Jinyoung signed for Mark to take a seat, sitting near him as the nurse explained everything she was about to do in preparation to turn the device on.

 

They had agreed that Jinyoung’s voice was going to be the first sound Mark heard, it was important to him that Jinyoung came first, especially after the quality of care he had given Mark since the first day they met. Nobody argued that with him, the woman showed Jinyoung what to do letting him flick the switch for the first time. The room fell silent as he moved to activate the device, Mark felt a weird rush in his head that had him looking around before his eyes landed on Jinyoung. He watched his boyfriend, anxious to hear him say something, anything. Jinyoung moved to get down on the ground in front of Mark, taking his hands in his own. He took a deep breath before he smiled at him, giving his hands a light squeeze.

 

“Jagiya, you have been so strong and brave through all of this.” Jinyoung said, Mark’s eyes lit up, one of his hands moving to cover his mouth. Tears sprang to his eyes as he heard Jinyoung’s voice.

 

Heard it. Actually heard it.

 

The deepness to it, how beautiful of a sound it was. Mark let out a cry, eyes never leaving Jinyoung’s face.

 

“You are my everything, my love, my joy, my life. I want you to know I am proud of you, that I knew this would work. Though you know nothing would have changed between you and I if it hadn’t.” Jinyoung smiled more, so moved by Mark’s reaction, he himself started to cry. Blinking away the hot tears, letting them fall down his cheeks as he reached into his pocket, for what Mark suspected were tissues. Jinyoung always carried practical things on him so why wouldn’t he have tissues at a time like this?

 

Jinyoung pulled out a small velvet box, dropping Mark’s hand to open the box up and reveal a simple, elegant, men’s style wedding band. Mark gasped, feeling more tears come to his eyes.

 

“Mark Yi En Tuan, Will you make my life even more complete than it already is, and marry me?” Jinyoung held the ring up, eyes locked on Mark’s own. Mark couldn’t help but cry harder, nodding his head ‘yes’ a million times.

 

“Yes. Jinyoung, yes of course I will marry you.” Mark said, voice shaking as he heard his own voice. Much different than he remembered, then again he’d gone through puberty since his accident. He gasped, looking around the room. The nurse was in tears watching the two, overjoyed for the couple as Jinyoung slid the ring on Mark’s finger, leaning up to kiss him deeply. Mark wrapped his arms around Jinyoung’s neck keeping him close.

 

“I love you.” Jinyoung whimpered, saying it over and over again until they pulled back to collect themselves.

 

“I love you too! My Jinyoung, my nyoungie. My soon to be husband.” Mark whimpered, pushing his face into Jinyoung’s neck as he sobbed.

 

“Till death do us part, my angel.” Jinyoung let out a whimper, holding Mark close as he cried. He knew that Mark needed this moment, to get it all out. He did too honestly. Mark cried for a few minutes, refusing to leave Jinyoung for a second.

 

“I… I want to find your parents and thank them, talk to them, please Jinyoung, take me to them.” Mark wiped his eyes, still getting used to his own voice. He could listen to Jinyoung talk all day long, all night long, wanting to hear his smooth deep voice at all hours of the day and night.

 

“Are we all set here?” Jinyoung asked the nurse and she nodded, wiping at her eyes.

 

“Yes of course, you two are free to go. Congratulations.” She smiled brightly, shutting down the computers. Jinyoung took Mark’s hand and lead him outside of the exam room and into the main hospital. Mark stopped and looked around, hearing everyone around them talking, the sounds of the machines beeping, it was all so overwhelming for him he clung to Jinyoung and curled up.

 

Of course Jinyoung understood, he lead Mark down to his parents office, knocking lightly before he let himself in. His mother looked up and smiled brightly at the two of them before she stood up.

 

“Mark! How are you feeling?” She asked, noticing how overwhelmed he looked.

 

“I am eternally thankful for everything you, your husband, and your son have done for me. There are no words to express how much this means to me. Thank you for everything, from the bottom of my heart.” Mark bowed his head, wiping at his eyes again. Jinyoung’s mother smiled brightly, walking over to wrap Mark up in a loving hug.

 

“You know what you must do to pay me back? Love Jinyoung with all of your heart, never let him go. Remain happy together in this life and the next, and I will never have to worry as a mother. That is the most payment a parent could ever ask for.” She reminded, pulling back from the hug to hold his shoulders.

 

“You won’t ever have to worry about me not doing as you asked, I plan on being forever a part of his life.” Mark held his hand up with a bright smile, his mother looked at the ring and gasped before turning to her son.

 

“You’re getting married?” She asked, Jinyoung nodded his head. His mother yanked him down for a bone crushing hug, making both Jinyoung and Mark laugh as she cheered for the wedding of her only son. So beyond happy for him.

 

“You two must celebrate, go! Go go! Mark’s parents are still here in town, your father and I will take them out to dinner tonight. You two need your alone time. Head back to Seoul, enjoy the New Year together.” His mother made clear, not letting Jinyoung argue it. She shooed him away out of the office, Jinyoung could only laugh. He gave his mother a final hug before bowing his head. Mark did the same.

 

Once they got outside and to the car, Mark stopped dead in his tracks, he looked all around him. The sounds of the cars around them driving, the birds in the nearby trees, the sound of the wind rushing by. Things he didn’t realize were so beautiful. Jinyoung watched him with only love in his eyes, experiencing the pure enjoyment from Mark was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen.

 

Getting into the car, he moved to kiss Mark’s cheeks, taking his hand in his own as the car started to warm up.

 

“Are you okay? I know this is a lot to take in.” Jinyoung leaned back in his seat, noticing how tired Mark was starting to look.

 

“I’m okay. I just didn’t realize how much I missed when it came to sound, how many things… were so beautiful in their own ways. I don’t like the sound of my own voice though, god, that’s going to take some getting used to.” Mark laughed, bringing Jinyoung’s hand up to his lips, kissing at his knuckles gently.

 

“I think your voice is perfect. I love everything about it, and you.” Jinyoung said honestly, watching Mark for a moment before he turned to start pulling out of the hospital. Mark frowned, moving to play with the radio some.

 

“You’re biased, I don’t have your deep y voice. It sounds like butter to me.” Mark frowned, trying to find a station that had sounds he liked. He fell on a various modern music station and sat back, letting the music fill the car.

 

“Like butter? That’s a first.” Jinyoung laughed, driving them back towards the hotel.

 

“Are we heading home today?” Mark looked over, moving to let his hand rest on Jinyoung’s thighs.

 

“We can if you’d like, or we can go home in the morning.” Jinyoung shrugged, everything was up to Mark.

 

“I think I need to take a nap, see how I feel when I wake up? If it’s not super late, I would like to go home. I can even drive some of the way if that’s easier for you.” Mark offered, Jinyoung raised an eyebrow.

 

“Do you know how to drive?” Jinyoung asked.

 

“Of course I do. I would have to have a little thing hooked up to the car that would blink when a police or other emergency responder was coming so I could pull over, but I can drive same as anyone else.” Mark his lips, sitting back some.

 

“What! So I could have been drinking this whole time, but you wanted to have all the fun?” Jinyoung scoffed, a slight smile played at the corners of his lips.

 

“Well, you know!” Mark smiled innocently, knowing he didn’t have to watch Jinyoung when he spoke anymore. At this point, it was because he wanted to. He wanted to connect the sound of his voice to the way his lips moved, he wanted to watch the way his facial expression gave away that he was joking.

 

“Now you are going to drive more so I can do all the drinking when we go out to party.” Jinyoung huffed, pulling into the hotel parking lot.

 

They both got out and made their way inside. Mark went straight to the bedroom, carefully undressing before he laid down on the bed. Jinyoung followed close behind him, doing as he did. He curled his body up next to Mark’s, pulling his back against his chest. Jinyoung placed a series of gentle kisses along the back of Mark’s neck.

 

“I love you.” Jinyoung said softly, nudging his nose against the nape of Mark’s neck. Mark smiled wide, pushing his body back against Jinyoung’s own.

 

“Say it again.” Mark turned his head so he could see Jinyoung, watching his mouth carefully.

 

“I love you, Mark Tuan, with all of my heart. With all of my body. With all of my soul.” Jinyoung said clearly, eyes locked with Mark’s own. Mark let out a whimper, turning his body to be facing Jinyoung before he leaned up, kissing him gently.

 

Gentle kisses turned to more, Mark got lost in the feeling of Jinyoung’s tongue melting against his own. Eyes rolling back as he got lost in his fiance’s touch. Somehow they rolled their position over, Jinyoung situating himself between Mark’s legs. Their kissing and touching infectious, neither able to stop now that they had gotten started.

 

“You said you were tired.” Jinyoung teased, pulling to kiss along Mark’s neck gently. Mark just smirked, a hand moving to thread into Jinyoung’s hair, yanking it back. Gasping at the sudden roughness, Jinyoung couldn’t help but let out a hushed moan.

 

“I am. But I want to hear you… I want to know what you sound like inside of me. I want to… hear how you sound when I make you come undone. Please. Jinyoung I need you, please.” Mark whispered, and who was Jinyoung to ever turn down the love of his life.

 

Nodding in reply, Jinyoung moved to carefully undress them the rest of the way, getting Mark’s beautiful body exposed for only him to see. He bit his lip at the sight, slim and gorgeous, covered in the little love bites he’d left the last time they did this. When Jinyoung spent hours between his thighs kissing every inch of skin, taking him into his mouth, him off until Mark was begging for him to stop.

 

“You are mine. Forever.” Jinyoung smirked, reaching for the little packet of lube they had started traveling with, he ripped open the top portion to get enough spilled out to coat his fingers. Mark watched him carefully as he did every time before he felt Jinyoung slide his fingers right inside. They had before they left for the hospital so it wasn’t like he needed much preparation, his body already adjusted to the feeling of Jinyoung, but he knew it was better they do this, regardless.

 

His moans started, quiet at first but grew louder as Jinyoung hit that sweet spot deep inside him. Gasping out, Mark’s eyes fluttered, shocked by his own vocal ability in bed. He reached down to put his hands on Jinyoung’s forearm to get him to stop, looking at him with wide lust filled eyes.

 

“Is that really what I sound like in bed?” Mark asked, Jinyoung pulled his fingers out and raised an eyebrow. He didn’t answer, not at first, just got himself coated up and lined up with Mark’s entrance. Carefully, in one slick motion, he pushed himself all the way inside. Mark cried out, back arching off the bed at the feeling of Jinyoung deep inside of him. He let out another series of whimpers, overly needy, overly as if he were desperate for Jinyoung.

 

“No. That’s normally what you sound like.” Jinyoung smirked, waiting for Mark to start talking before he started to move his hips quickly. He gave Mark no time to adjust, or no warning. Just started to rock his hips in ways he knew Mark liked. It was almost shocking to both of them how daring their love life had gotten since they became more comfortable together, once Jinyoung fully realized that just because Mark was deaf it didn’t mean he was made of glass, it was like a switch had gone off.

 

“. Christ Jinyoung.” Mark yelped out. the air in sharply as he felt his body being used for Jinyoung’s every desire, which in a weird way was his biggest kink. The amount of pleasure coursing through his body every time Jinyoung took him like this was immeasurable. He became putty in Jinyoung’s hands, but now that he could hear, he felt embarrassed with how loud he was being, unsure if this was normal or just because he was hearing now and everything was more sensitive.

 

The doctors did say the first few days might be a lot for him, that everything might feel super loud, and very jumbled until he started to make sense of it. Though the fact that he did hear when he was younger did help him out a little. It wasn’t his first time, he just didn’t really remember what anything sounded like.

 

Jinyoung was relentless, wanting Mark to hear himself as the mess he always was. Jinyoung wanted Mark to hear as he praised him for being good, as he smacked his hips into his so hard the headboard hit the wall. The sight below him was one of the most beautiful things Jinyoung had ever seen, the only thing that made it better this time around was the addition to the glittering metal on Mark’s hand. To see the engagement ring secure on Mark’s finger had him feeling like he was on top of the world.

 

This time felt different, and not just because Mark could hear him, but because it was confirmed they would be spending the rest of their life together. Jinyoung moved and bent Mark in every direction his body would go in. Mark was on top when he felt his nearing, Jinyoung groaned at the sight of Mark’s slight body bouncing up and down on his . Moans pouring from his mouth signaling nothing but pleasure, as if the feel of Jinyoung filling him up was the most amazing thing to ever happen to him. Jinyoung’s hand reached over to grip at Mark’s , pumping in time with his hips to help coax his lover towards his , knowing that his own was near. He offered words of encouragement, praising him for being so beautiful until the two of them came moments apart from each other. Heavy panting filled the room as Jinyoung filled Mark with his sweet sticky load, gasping at how tight he became as his own ripped through his body.

 

When they both came down from their highs, Jinyoung carefully laid Mark back on the bed. He gently pulled himself from Mark to make his way into the bathroom. Cleaning himself off quickly, he grabbed a clean damp rag and moved back to the bed to wash Mark off, being sure to pepper his chest and neck with kisses. This was always important to Jinyoung, that the aftercare was met with as much love as the act of . Even more so now that Mark could actually hear the words of love and praise Jinyoung normally mumbled against his skin as he was doing so.

 

“What is the first thing you want to do when we go home?” Jinyoung asked, laying down next to Mark, pulling his body close. Mark curled up some, pushing his face into Jinyoung’s neck as he thought.

 

“Go out to eat with all of our friends. I want to hear all their voices…” Mark said, sounding so sure. Jinyoung nodded, a little worried that Mark might get overwhelmed with so many sounds all at once.

 

“What about cooking at home, and inviting them all over?” Jinyoung thought it was a better compromise. Mark picked his head up and frowned, shaking it no.

 

“I want to go out to eat.” Mark said again, and Jinyoung sighed. Nodding his head in agreement before he kissed the frown line between Mark’s eyebrows.

 

“I’m just worried it will be so busy and loud you’ll get stressed out.” Jinyoung confessed, soothingly rubbing his hand along Mark’s side. Mark bit his lip in thought.

 

“I’ll be okay. If it starts to be too much for me then we can go home and you can gloat about being right, because you’re always right. But I just want to push myself a little, try to do things I never thought were possible. I’m excited, maybe overly excited, but… I’ll pay for it after, okay?” Mark looked Jinyoung in the eyes and honestly who was he to argue.

 

If Mark wanted a big dinner out, he would get a big dinner out.

 

“Whatever for the love of my life, but if it starts to get to be a lot for you promise me that you will let me know as soon as possible.” Jinyoung gave Mark a stern look, making it clear to him that he was serious about Mark not doing too much too fast. Mark just giggled and leaned up, kissing at Jinyoung’s lips lightly.

 

“Anything for you my soon to be husband, now… what say you we get dressed and head back home. I’m ready to be in my own bed again.” Mark peppered Jinyoung’s jaw with kisses, something he often did when he wanted to get his way. Jinyoung melted with every kiss, his eyes closing softly as he reached his hand up to thread through Mark’s beautiful hair. He pulled his head back and slammed their lips together for a bruising kiss.

 

Breathless Mark pulled away, smiling brightly at Jinyoung.

 

“I love you.” Mark whispered, eyes locking with Jinyoung’s own.

 

“I love you more, my angel.”

 

A/N: come talk to me and tell me what you're feelin, what you're thinking! leave comments down below, or hit me up on twitter @daddyafmarkjin i love love love hearing from you guys. thank you so much for going on this journey with me.