Chapter One

A MONSTA's Love: The Anthology

Changkyun knows that some people are indescribably lucky to only find one soul mate in their entire lives, and making him think it absolutely impossible he's found six.

He can't even begin to explain how fortunate he feels.

 

The maknae stares at Kihyun, watching as his hyung prepares the ingredients for dinner. Kihyun glances over his shoulder at the rapper, as if sensing his gaze. He flashes him a dimpled, toothy smile, one that only Kihyun could manage. Changkyun manages to return the expression, grinning distractedly. He then tries to turn his attention back to the lyric notebook sitting in front of him.

It's a beat-up, old little thing. Changkyun has had it ever since he joined No.Mercy. It had been his only solace for a while, before the others eventually began to warm up to him.

He could still remember his first night in the dorm, the memory thankfully not quite as painful as it used to be. Kihyun had been the first one to speak to him that dreadful night, one of two actually that talked to him at all in the dorm.

 

“Come sit in the living room with us,” Kihyun had murmured as he hurried passed, avoiding making eye-contact with the newcomer. Changkyun could only manage a nod, the words the others had spoken only moments before filling his mind.

“Show the new kid where he sleeps and stuff. You're the same age as him.”

“Don't force him, hyung.”

“Someone has to do it.”

“It's not that I'm mad at him.”

“None of us are mad at him.”

“This is just really frustrating.”

Changkyun couldn’t blame them for being frustrated with the situation. If he could have had it happen any other way, he would have. But, when he was offered a spot on the show, he had to take it. He had to do anything to debut.

The newcomer entered the living room as told, all conversation dying as soon as he did so. One by one, the others began to file out of the room. Yoonho, the one the same age as him, was the only one left. After sitting in the longest, most tense silence Changkyun had ever experienced, Yoonho explained that he just couldn't be welcoming to the newbie right now. Changkyun easily understood, even though he didn't quite like it. But, Yoonho still showed him where to unpack and sleep.

Changkyun hadn't managed to get any sleep that night, too nervous about what he's gotten himself into to do so.

 

"Everything alright, Changkyunnie?” Kihyun asks, glancing back at the younger once more at his continued silence. He always offers to help with the cooking whenever he sees Kihyun working. The maknae gives a visible jolt, surprised by Kihyun’s voice. He then grins up at the older from his seat, nodding.

“It is now, hyung.”

He then stands and to wash his hands, awaiting orders from the vocalist. Kihyun can't help but stare confusedly at the rapper’s comment. He nods towards the bowl of egg, and asks him to begin beating them. Changkyun nods, and turns to the bowl. He picks it up and stares at the contents silently.

“Something wrong?” Kihyun asks, feeling as if he's repeating himself. Changkyun has always acted a bit odd during the anniversary week of their debut, but he's never this quiet in the dorm. Changkyun chuckles playfully, shaking his head.  

“It's just cute,” he murmurs. He then scoots close to the older, and kisses him on the cheek. “Not as cute as you, though.” Kihyun leans forward, a soundless, breathy laugh escaping through his wide smile. The sudden compliment amuses him greatly, and he pauses in what he's doing to return the kiss.

“If you think this behavior is getting you out of helping me clean tonight,” he tells him, snaking an arm around his waist to pull him even closer, “then you're sorely mistaken.” He then presses a feather-like, almost teasing kiss against the maknae’s lips. As he pulls away, Changkyun greedily leans forward for more, but Kihyun brings up a stalk of celery from the counter to obstruct his path. Changkyun opens his eyes surprisedly, his puckered lips seemingly glued to the stalk.

“KIhyun, KIhyun,” Jooheon’s boisterous tones suddenly break through the air, as always emphasizing the first syllable of the older’s name. Changkyun moves away, pouting.

“Hyung!” he calls helplessly, turning towards the sound of Jooheon’s voice. Jooheon pokes his head into the kitchen, a smile breaking out over his face at finding Kihyun. His smile wavers, though, at seeing Changkyun propel himself towards him, the pout plastered on his face. “Kihyun-hyung is teasing me again.” Jooheon makes a sound of sympathy, wrapping his arms around the maknae in a tight hug.

“Don't worry, Changkyunnie,” he says, throwing Kihyun a smirk, “he teases me, too.” Changkyun turns back to face Kihyun, poking out his lower lip even more. Jooheon hugs the maknae from behind, mirroring his expression.

“Keep it up,” Kihyun warns the pair, “and you can figure out something else to eat for dinner tonight.”

“Hyung,” Jooheon sighs, resting his head atop Changkyun’s shoulder as he begins to sway them in place, “Appa is asking for you. It’s something about tomorrow night, he said.” Kihyun raises a quizzical brow, wiping his hands on a nearby towel as he moves to leave the kitchen.

“Don't touch the food,” he warns the two rappers as he swats them lightly on their heads. Jooheon and Changkyun stick their tongues out playfully in response, earning a smirk from the older. As soon as he's out of earshot, Jooheon gives the younger an affectionate peck on the shoulder before separating himself.

“I'm going to the company building,” Jooheon tells him, heading for the door. “The management team said they want me working on lyrics tonight. Apparently, they're not quite as satisfied with what I’ve written as they were last night..”

“Work hard, hyung,” Changkyun says, shooting him a supportive smile. Jooheon chuckles at the sweet expression, slipping on his shoes and beanie before leaving the dorm.

 

"What is it, hyung?” Kihyun asks, poking his head into the leader’s shared bedroom. Hyunwoo glances up from his tablet, smiling nervously. Kihyun recognizes the tentative look in his eyes. It's the way he looks on those rare occasions he's about to tell one of the boys no to something. Kihyun can't help but sigh, crossing his arms across his chest wearily.

“So,” Hyunwoo says, his voice coming out in a nervous mumble, “I just got back from speaking with the management team. They said that, since we’ve been working so hard to get the routine down, it'd be a shame for us to take a break now when we’re so close to getting it. They said we should cancel whatever plans we have tomorrow night and practice.”

Kihyun can only sigh, shaking his head at the floor as he presses a hand to his lips. He pats his mouth thoughtfully, trying to find the right words to say. He knows he shouldn't blow up at Hyunwoo right now, for he's only the messenger.

"I want to just go up to the company building and give them a piece of my mind,” he finally says, the words coming out quickly in one breath. He rubs his eyes, hating Starship so much in this moment. “Tomorrow night was our only free night all month. Everyone was looking forward to going somewhere that isn't a Starship location.”

“Maybe we could go tonight,” Hyunwoo suggests. Kihyun shakes his head again.

“I've already started making dinner,” he argues. “Besides, half the group is out right now either working on the comeback or working out in the gym.” He in a breath through his teeth, trying to keep himself calm. “I guess we’ll just have to postpone the big group date until a different night…” He then glances over at Hyunwoo, who's staring at him apologetically. “It isn't your fault, hyung. Please don't beat yourself up about it.”

Hyunwoo nods, smiling gratefully at the younger as he turns to return to the kitchen. He always knows what to say to put Hyunwoo's mind at ease.

 

Changkyun lies down on the couch, staring up at the ceiling thoughtfully. With their debut anniversary so close, it’s no wonder his No.Mercy memories are resurfacing. It’s impossible for him to explain to Kihyun and Jooheon just how much it meant to him for them to speak to him, despite their harsh feelings at first. Jooheon had been very straightforward with him, which is very much like Jooheon, and explained to him when they were put into the same group for his first mission his feelings on the situation.

It was that bluntness, Changkyun knows, that made him stand out from the rest. Even after the challenge, Jooheon remained by the maknae’s side and tried to help him be accepted faster by the other trainees. Without the older’s help, Changkyun still questions whether or not he’d have made it into the MONSTA X lineup. He’ll always be grateful for the care the older rapper showed him in those days, how supportive he was even when Changkyun couldn’t lift his head after being announced as the group’s second and last rapper.

It was this care, and the care from Kihyun that made the maknae fall in love with them both.