She's Dreaming

She's Dreaming

Dizzy circles and frayed ends, loud colors and bright noises. Unfamiliar footsteps and flickering lights and too many eyes. Lurking shadows and wicked pincers and panic and palpitations and--

     You sit bolt upright, panting, still shuddering from your nightmare. Is it still creeping towards me? Your skin is crawling, the hair on the back of your neck standing on end. Heart still pounding, you decide to get a drink of water. 

     You tiptoe to the kitchen and open the cupboard, wincing at the loud creak. If anyone else wakes up, you'll never hear the end of it. Your friends are over for a party, which turned into a slumber party (not that you really had much say in it). The handsome boys are now sprawled haphazardly around the living room, which is also littered with chip crumbs and Monopoly money. 
     
     Sighing, you reach for a glass. And reach. Ugh, it must be all the way at the far back. I hate being short. Holding your breath, you stand on your tiptoes and stretch out your fingers to reach the glass. 
 
    Suddenly, you feel someone behind you. A hand closes around the glass. Warm breath tickles your neck, whispering "Need any help?"
     
     You jump nearly out of your skin, squeaking with fright. 
     
    Laughter. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you." 
     
     You recognize the voice and give a shaky sigh of relief. It was only Kim Jongdae, or as his friends called him, “Chen”. Legs still wobbly, you sink to the floor. "That's okay, my nerves are just kind of a mess right now," you mutter, a bit embarrassed.

     "Why are you even awake? It's-" Chen pauses to glance at his phone. "1:02 in the morning." 

     "Oh, um, nothing," you mumble. "Just a bad dream."

     Chen bends down and looks more closely at you. "Damn, that must've been some dream. You're shaking."

     He must think I'm such a baby. Mortified, you try to pull yourself together. "Nah, I'm just a little cold," You lie. 

     He sits on the floor next to you. "You know, you're an awful liar."

     "What? I am not. I mean, I'm not lying!" 

     "Are too."

     "Am not!" 

     "Are too."

     "Am not!"

      "Ok, whatever you say." He looks at you skeptically.

     Dodging his gaze, you retreat to the living room. You lay back down on the couch and close your eyes, attempting to sleep. Something tickles your shoulder. Spiders. Panicking, you sit up quickly. Oh. It's just your hair. Shivering, you try not to think about bugs. Bugs crawling everywhere. Thousands of scuttling legs across the floor, coming towards you. Okay, nope, nope, not happening. You creep back into the kitchen and sit on the immaculate white tiled floor. At least that way, you'll see any bugs if they come.

     "Liar."

     You turn with a sharp intake of breath, only to see Chen grinning at you. "Shut up."

     "Oh, come here." He drapes a soft blanket around both of you and puts his arm around you. 

     "Not scared," you grumble half-heartedly.

     "You look like a puppy in a thunderstorm."

     "Do not."

     "Oh, come on. Don't fight it." His lips curve into a smirk. "I'll keep the bad dreams away." He pulls you closer, trapping you in a bear hug and petting your hair.

     At first, you struggle and attempt to push him off. Dork. Eventually, though, you accept that he's stronger than you and surrender to his hug. Admittedly, it's kind of nice, his muscular body wrapped around you. "Why are you so strong, Chen?" you whine half-heartedly.

     Chen smiles wickedly. "Do you like that?"

     "Oh, you wish," you retort.

     "Let's face it. We can't fight these feelings any longer," he teases, poking your cheek mischievously. 

     "Shut up!" You swat at him, blushing. 

     "How rude. Now I'll have to punish you."

    “W-what?” Your eyes widen, but before you have a chance to protest, Chen is tickling you mercilessly. You try to remain quiet while giggling helplessly, which is a nearly impossible task. "Stop it! I’m… seriously… going to…kill you,” you barely manage to say between gasps for air. You begin wrestling him, struggling to escape from his grasp and trying to tickle him back. By this time, both of you are trying to smother your laughter.  You’re breathless, half from trying to get your revenge and half from being so close. Your attempts, however, are useless. Chen easily pins you to the kitchen floor, his face so close to yours that you can see his dark eyes, even with all the lights off.

     You both fall silent. The clock ticks and hearts beat in double time. The heat of his breath and skin against yours contrasts against the cold of the kitchen tiles. You're not sure exactly when it happens, or how, but the gap between you closes. You aren’t sure who starts it. You aren’t sure where you are or what day it is or even if you’re awake or dreaming; all you know is that you’re being kissed by Kim Jongdae. You’re dizzy under the spell of his eyes, his lips, his hands. Your eyes flutter shut.

                                           *******************************

    Your eyes fly open. You’re on the couch, and sunlight is streaming through the window. Slowly, your hand moves and your fingers touch your lips.

    You hear a yawn and turn your head to see Chen, rubbing his eyes sleepily. His eyes meet yours, and you’re frozen, staring at him, your heart beating quickly. Was it real?

    His lips curve upward in a smile. “Sleep well?” He asks, casually.

    Did I…

    Did we…

    Was it all a dream?