Of Soulmates, Coincidence, and Fate

Soulmarked

 


 

We were dismissed early today in class, so I had a bit of time to wander, so I decided to go to the bookstore and check out some new books. When I reached my favorite bookstore, the moment I entered inside, the smell of new books welcomed me. I smiled and went to the “new released” section to see what books were on display.

 

‘Throne of Truth’

 

My eyes immediately widened when I saw the book that has been released a few days back, the first book was a major cliffhanger, but I had a clue already of who was the guy.

 

But I have to read it; I have to know all the truths behind the guy’s lies.

 

I was about to reach it when another hand got it first. And if I was unlucky because of that, then I guess it just keeps on getting worse. Why? Because it was already the last copy of it.

 

And it’s very rare to find a book written by that author, she may be famous in New York, but I think she a bit underrated here.

 

I pouted a bit and looked at the person who took the book, and he then turned to look at me. As our eyes met, I blinked a few times at him. I can’t deny the fact that he was handsome, he was wearing a plaited red shirt and black shorts, and he was also wearing a black cap that hid his eyes.

 

He then nodded at me pulling my attention to his face again, before he gave me a smile. He then walked away with my book in his hands, I was about to call him out but decided against it. I wasn’t that kind of person to make a fuss just because of a book. I watched my book get away and saw him looked back at me. He raised my book on his left hand and did a bang! gesture at my direction and left. Weirdo but he sure put a small smile on my face because of that.

 


 

I’m freaking bored.

 

It was only a few days before I turn 22, and a few weeks before I graduated, and here I am, locked up in my room, either reading my favorite books or surfing the net. With no classes to attend, and no more lessons to study and review once again, I try to satisfy my boredom with a lot of things, but it was useless. Very useless.

 

Sitting up from my bed, I ran a hand through my hair before looking around my room to look for something to do today, but there was nothing. I took my phone and go to the same chat room that I have been for the past years, I checked if he was online but he wasn’t.

 

“Ugh!” I groaned frustratingly before throwing my phone to the pillows, and lying down once again.

 

I was a couch potato, a homebody, but when you’re as bored as I am right now I just want to get out of my house and hit the mall.

 

My phone chimed and saw a text from my friends to go watch a movie with them. Yosh. I have nothing better to do and I was also planning to go to the mall.

 

Decided, I went downstairs and saw my mother doing the dishes. “Mom, can I go out today?” I said, asking permission. “I have nothing to do.” I sighed. “I might meetup with my friends or something.”

 

She laughed as she looked at my bored face, “Who?”

 

“Just Addie and Kate, mom.”

 

“Alright. But be home by 7, understood? Not a minute after.” she reminded me of my curfew.

 

“Okay!” I answered, yelling because I was already dashing up the stairs to my room to get ready.

 

I was in the mood to casually dress up so I opted to wear a cream long-sleeve top, and partnered it with black high waisted jumper skirt, I wore my black sneakers, and then I took my shoulder bag and shoved my wallet, phone, earphones, umbrella and handkerchief inside. I also shoved my cardigan inside just in case I get cold.

 

“Mom, I’m going!” as I kissed my mother goodbye.

 


 

As soon as I parked my car, I made a beeline straight to the movie house. I already sent a message to my friends that I was already there and they told me that they were already inside and saved me a seat and telling me their aisle and seat numbers.

 

Putting my phone back to my bag, I went to the counter and bought a movie ticket before going to the snack counter. I was looking at the choices when a man stood in front of me, his back facing me and was taking the things he bought. I moved back a little and as he turned, I met his eyes before he averted them away, taking a sip from his drink.

 

I blinked a few times, turning my head to his direction, eyeing him. Well who wouldn't? The guy is gorgeous af. He was wearing a black turtleneck shirt, partnered with black pants, and he was also wearing a black leather jacket that made him look like a badass. His hair was styled down today unlike the day he stole my book. Was he wearing those piercings back then? He was really handsome… and tall.

 

Totally my type. Wait. What? Did I just say that?

 

"Miss?" My attention was pulled away from him when the cashier called out to me, asking me what my order was. I just told her that I wanted a hotdog sandwich and just a bottle of water, and paid for it, before turning my head once more, hoping to find him, it's not everyday you see someone as hot as him.

 

Having no luck, I took the brown paper bag the cashier handed me with my snacks and headed to the entrance of the movie house.

 

I suppose I should ask if my friends wanted snacks as well. Knowing them, they bought theirs already but they eat it as soon as they sit down and finish it before the movie starts.

 

I opened my bag to take my phone out but I can't seem to find it there, frowning, I looked down to my bag to search for it as I continued to walk inside the dim place. I was still searching for my phone when I bumped into someone, hard enough to make me stumble back, my snack bag falling to the floor.

 

"Ouch." I complained, and bent down to pick up the plastic bag, thankful that I only bought a bottle of water and not soda.

 

The person who collided with me had the gall to sigh when he should have obviously avoided me. "Watch where you're going, miss." he said with a voice so deep yet so soft, that I thought I just imagined the sigh he let out a while ago.

 

I was about to pick up my bottled water when he reached for it and handed it to me. “Here.” He said, his left hand handing it to me and I faintly saw a Cartier bracelet on his wrist. I took it and continued picking the other things that was scattered.

 

As I was about to stand up straight, I froze on spot, his words finally registering.

 

'Watch where you're going...'

 

My hand automatically flew to my back, just below my nape. The words that were inked on my skin, the very first word my soulmate was supposed to say to me. My annoyingly generic words that I have thought of a hundred of times how my soulmate will say but everything was nothing compared to how he said it.

 

I raised my head, turning to my back to find him, hoping. But he was long gone. I tried looking around but he was nowhere to be found, as if he vanished into thin air.

 

How could he just disappear like that?

 

“Mia!” I jumped in surprise and saw Addie and Kate standing there calling out for me, “Come on! The movie will start soon.” They gestured to me but I remained glued to my spot.

 

I finally found him, but… Where could he be?

 

During the whole movie, I wasn’t able to focus, all I could think about was that stranger who was supposed to be my soulmate suddenly disappearing.

 

“Are you okay?” Kate asked me and I just gave her a smile.

 

“I should head home now, Mom’s alone.” They both nodded in understanding and we bid each other goodbye.

 

The moment I arrived at home, I rushed up to my room and changed my clothes before curling up to my bed.

 

Who was that guy? Who could my soulmate be?

 

But speaking of this destiny, or soulmate, or whatever people wants to call it, I have to tell him about this.

 

I stood up and took my bag from the desk to search for my phone. After finding it, I went back to my bed and lied down on my stomach, opening the same chat room I’ve been to. I checked if he was online and he was. Clicking on his username, our chat box opened, revealing some of our latest conversation.

 

I messaged him, and he replied immediately, as if he was really waiting for me.


 

Seriously, what is wrong with this guy? Here I am, excited to share to him about my experience and he’s being like this to me. Why am I getting annoyed?


 

Is he bribing me with food right now? Because if he is, it’s definitely working. But no, I have to be careful.

 

 

My heart skipped a beat, surprised to see his answer. How the hell did he know I was thinking about that?

 


 

Again, my heart skipped a beat once again. What the hell is this guy doing to me?


 

I tried to stir the conversation away from this… this tuna is flirting with me!!

 


 

What the actual ? Is he seriously saying this stuff to me? I can feel my face getting hotter, how did it even end up with this conversation.

 

 

Which was a lie, because I’ve already submitted them last week.


 

And then I immediately logged off with my heart still beating erratically, face flushed and a stupid smile on my face.

 


 

It’s been weeks since I found my soulmate but I still don’t know who he was or where to find him. I usually wander around the mall where I bumped with him but with just the Cartier bracelet as my clue I have no progress. There are like hundreds of people going in and out of the mall and with them several people own that kind of bracelet.

 

But of course, I wouldn’t give up. I can feel this strange instinct pulling me somewhere. Destiny, maybe or maybe not. Sometimes, I think tunapie is right that even though two persons are soulmates that doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re meant for each other.

 

Speaking of  that tuna, it’s been days but he hasn’t replied to any of my messages. Usually, he was the one pestering me but these days he was really quiet. After that little flirting he did, he went M.I.A. I send messages once a day but he hasn’t read or replied to any of them.

 

Maybe he found himself a girlfriend. That would explain why he suddenly stopped messaging me. But a little goodbye sayonara would have been fine.

 

“Why am I worrying about that idiot, anyway?” I muttered to myself, finding myself in front of the dog café on the central park of the mall.

 

I was dying to visit this place since it opened but life happened to me and I didn’t get the chance to go until now. With my books in my arms, I smiled as I took in the aesthetic and vibe of the place. It has three things that I like— books, dogs, and the smell of freshly brewed coffee.

 

I settled myself on the couch near the dogs, in this café there was a designated area for playing with the dogs but you can borrow one of the resident dogs and pet it in your seat and added relaxation technique.

 

There were too many cute puppies! Some are playing with each other, some are asleep, some are looking at me with those adorable puppy dog eyes that wants makes me want to snuggle them all day. After giving out treats to the other dogs, I chose this cute and small bichon frise and settled in my seat.

 

“Aren’t you cute?” I cooed at the cute puppy, “What’s your name?” He was wagging his tail at me, hoping to be petted.

 

“Shadow.” As soon as I said the name on his collar, he leaped into my arms and started me. I laughed out loud at his playfulness. Rubbing his head, “I need to read, Shadow.” He settled in my lap, playing with my hand as I read my own copy of Throne of Truth. Soon enough, Shadow was sleeping in my lap and I was absorbed in my own world, reading.

 

I looked at the time and was surprised to see that I already spent two hours here. “Shiz.” I hurriedly returned Shadow to the dog’s playpen and paid my bill. “I’m gonna get scolded so bad.” I whispered, thinking of my mom’s stern face because I sneaked out of the house.  I really thought I’ll be back before they return from their out of town trip.

 

I was on my way to the parking lot when I saw a cute puppy loitering around the mall’s park. It looks like its lost or something. Maybe it’s one of the dogs in the café where I’m from and it went outside when the door was open.

 

“Hey, are you lost?” I thought Shadow was the cutest puppy in the café but I guess I was wrong because this puppy owned the title. “Come here.” I cooed, it was barking at me but it wasn’t aggressive, maybe because it can sense Shadow’s smell on me.

 

I gave it treats and soon enough, he was wagging his tail at me. Rubbing the spot under near its ears, I laughed at how cute he is.

 

“. I forgot I should return him.” I carried him in my arms, going back to the café I just left. It was only a few stores away when the puppy jumped out of my arms and ran.

 

“Hey!” I followed after him and stopped short when I saw him, being petted by a guy. The guy was crouched down and with his snapback on, I couldn’t see his voice.

 

I hesitantly walked towards them, unsure whether the dog was his or he’s just dog-friendly too. “Uhm. Is he yours?” The guy stopped petting the puppy. “He’s so cute!” I added before I saw him looked up with a funny look on his face. He looked so astonished and at the same time confused.

 

“Y-you?” I gasped, I was as shocked as he was! This is the third time I’m seeing him and everytime I see him he’s just getting hotter and hotter. How is that possible, world? Please tell me. Even with that dumbfounded look on his face he looks extremely handsome.

 

He picked up the puppy and it was settled in his arms as he stood straight. He was really tall. He tilted his head to the right, and looked at me from head to toe. I unconsciously squared my shoulders and straightened up. His brows furrowed ever so slightly before he turned and smiled at me.

 

“Do you know me?” he asked, all smiles. “Have I met you before?”

 

Hah! As if I didn’t see how he scowled while looking at me a while ago. I looked down at my clothes and I know it was no match for his simple white V-neck shirt, black pants and snapback ensemble but I’m a girl! I have to make an effort dressing up with my white sun dress and denim jacket partnered with my white kicks. What was wrong with him?

 

I almost rolled my eyes at him, “Is he yours?” I asked instead of answering him, referring to his dog.

 

There he goes again with that slight frown, “He’s a she. Her name is Coco.” He said, “And yeah, she’s mine.” He said, smiling again.

 

“Oh, I didn’t notice. I thought she was a boy. Sorry, Coco.” I said, rubbing her head in his arms. Coco slightly my palms and I giggled, “But why was she alone? I thought she was lost.”

 

He smiled again, “Thank you for finding her. I left her for a while, I have to buy her dog treats at the café over there.” He pointed at the dog café I was in just a few minutes before.

 

“I actually thought Coco escaped from the café, I just visited the café awhile ago.”

 

He nodded, his eyes on me. I was starting to feel a little bit awkward because he was really staring at me. “Thank you for  keeping Coco company.”

 

“No worries.” I waved my hand, “Glad to help. But I have to go now that Coco’s with you already.” I looked at Coco and petted her one last time, “Bye Coco, be a good girl. Stay pretty.”

 

I was about to leave when Coco barked and I was stopped by this attractive guy. I looked at the hand stopping me and saw a familiar bracelet.

 

He also has a Cartier bracelet.  I also saw him in the cinema a few weeks back. Could he be? Nah, there’s a lot of people who owns a bracelet like that. Impossible.

 

I raised a brow at him and looked at the hand that was still holding me, he got the message and instantly released his hold.

 

“Sorry,” he muttered, “I just…” he scratched the back of his neck, looking so unsure. “You see, Coco isn’t very friendly with other people specially girls but she looks so taken with you.”

 

I laughed because Coco was nuzzling her head at my legs as her owner speaks, I picked her up and she willingly went to my arms, “I bribed her with dog treats awhile ago.”

 

“Do you wanna see Coco again?”

 

“Huh?” was the only reply I could muster.

 

Coco’s owner grinned, “You can play with her again, I’ve never seen Coco friendly with another person aside from me.”

 

“For real?” I asked excitedly. “Of course! I couldn’t pass up the chance to play with this cutie again.”

 

“Mark.” He said. I looked at him and he smiled again, “My name’s Mark.”

 

“Mia.” I replied with my name, “Nice meeting you, Mark. Are you sure I can play with Coco again? I might be a bad person.” I joked.

 

He removed his snapback, running his hands through his hair and laughed. “I don’t think someone who searched for a lost dog’s owner can do bad things. I also don’t think someone as pretty as you is evil.”

 

I reddened at the sudden compliment, “I have to go.”

 

He reached something at his back pocket and retrieved his phone from there. He tapped the screen a few times and handed it to me, “Your number.” Before I can say anything, “For playtime with Coco.” He said with air quotes gestures that made him look silly but still so handsome.

 

I laughed and registered my number on his phone before giving it back to him. He tapped it again and few seconds later my phone was ringing.

 

“Save my number too, Mia.” Mark said, I nodded. “You can text me whenever you want to play with Coco.”

 

“I really have to go.” I sneaked a peak at my watch and my mom is really going to kill me now. “Thanks for this. Bye Coco!”

 

I was in my car when I received a message from him that says, “You can also message me even if it’s not about Coco.”

 



 


 

Well, that escalated quickly.

 

Everything happened so fast, I didn't have enough time to process it before he logged out.

 

Swallowing hard and blinking a few times, I took a deep breath and put my phone down, lying on my bed and evaluating my life choices as I stare at the ceiling.

 

Should I meet him? I’ve been online friends with him for so long but I couldn’t get rid of this funny feeling in my guts. I know he’s not a bad guy or something similar to that but… Why am I feeling like this? Am I actually looking forward to meeting him? I couldn’t deny that my heart was racing like crazy when he said that.

 

All along, I thought that the reason he was so against about soulmates was just because he got hurt once and was just afraid to fall in love again. Once bitten, twice shy sort of thing.

 

Aaand BAM! He likes me?! Me?! He dropped the bomb out of nowhere. I know he was flirting with me these past few months but I assumed he was just teasing me.

 

Seconds turn into minutes, minutes to hours, and hours to days. All of a sudden, it was already Friday. I was staring at the time, still pondering if I should go or not. I haven’t contacted him ever since, and neither did he.

 

Only an hour left before the time he asked me to meet him.

 

I paced back and forth inside my room, still thinking if I should really go or not.

 

“Mia?” I jumped in surprise when my mother opened the door, “What are you doing?” She asked me, curious as to why I probably looked so jittery.

 

“Nothing.” I told her, and then she nodded after I gave her a small smile. She was about to close the door but I stopped her, “Mom, can I… go to the mall?” I said, askance. Unsure if she’ll give me permission, knowing that I got out a few weeks ago, and sneaked out several days ago.

 

“Why? Meeting with your friends again?”

 

“Kind of.”

 

“Alright then. Remember your curfew, okay?” Mom said and I nodded at her before she closed the door.

 

Heaving a deep sigh, I started changing my clothes before I looked up at the mirror.

 

It’s now or never.

 


 

I looked at my phone and I was a few minutes early (a habit of mine) when I arrived at the mall, I’m pretty sure this is where the Central Park he is talking about, is located.

 

Before heading straight to the park, I made a detour to a café nearby to get a drink. I’ve got to have a drink, or else I’ll be nervous as hell. Instead of ordering my usual iced coffee, I ordered a chocolate frappe to ease my anxiety. Who would drink coffee if you’re already so damn nervous?

 

I looked at my phone seeing that it was almost 11 am, so I headed out to the central park to wait there as I relax for a bit. Seriously, this is nerve-wrecking, it’s a good thing I brought a few books with me to calm my nerves.

 

Few minutes before our meeting time, I headed to the central park to relax for a bit whilst waiting for him. “This is seriously so nerve-wrecking.” I murmured to myself, clutching my bag which contained a few books to read. I don’t know if I instinctively brought this to calm my nerves or to whack him with if he does something erse.

 

Choosing a bench underneath a tree and I opened a book I’ve read a million times. I was in the midst of an exciting scene when my phone vibrated.


 

I was about to return my attention to my book, when I noticed a familiar figure just a few feet away. He was still gorgeous af, but something was missing.

 

That cute little dog that was supposed to be in his arms.

 

Through narrowed eyes, I saw the familiar person walking towards me. “Mark?”

 

“Mia? I thought you were somebody else.” He said, sitting down on the spot next to mine, “Shopping?” he asked but his attention was somewhere else, his eyes were looking around.

 

I shook my head in answer. “What about you?” I asked him, all smiles, “I can see that you didn’t bring Coco with you today.” I added.

 

I sneaked a look at my watch and saw that it was already past 11. Where is that tuna? I tried looking around stealthily. Mark was still conversing with me. I don’t want to look rude.

 

“I’m meeting with a friend today. Coco doesn’t know her. She might get mad if she sees me with another girl aside from you.” He teased, chuckling, causing my cheeks to redden.

 

“Oooh, a girl. A date?” I teased too, and then looked around to find the person I should meet. The red flush that tinted his fair skin didn’t escape my notice. I laughed, “What are you doing here with me?! What is she saw you with me and then got jealous? Go!” I made a shooing gesture at him.

 

“Right.” He stood up, suddenly. “But, I couldn’t leave you here. Alone.” He said, biting his lips.

 

“I’m actually supposed to meet a friend too, but looks like he’s running late.” I explained, I fished out my phone and showed it to him, “I’ll message him now.”

 

“Then I shouldn’t disturb you anymore.” He told me with a smile and I nodded at him.

 

I was alone again, I was about to message tunapie but he beat me to it.


 

I suddenly frowned as I read his message.

 

“Miyako?” I heard a voice say, a deep voice I heard before. I looked up, my eyes zeroing in the person that I just talked to moments before. He was panting, catching his breath, like he just ran all the way here. “Miyako?” he repeated softly, I couldn’t reply, I couldn’t find my voice.

 

What the hell is happening? Can this be possible?

 

I put my book down as I stood up. I walked towards him my eyes focused on him. Only him. I notice how he smiling so brightly, I notice how the wind was blowing his hair, I notice how his sweat trickled down the side of his neck, I notice how he was looking at me.

 

But I failed to notice the child running from the opposite side, causing me to crash into him, making us lose our balance. The haze in my eyes went ninja on me as soon as I saw the crying kid, I immediately rushed to his aid.

 

“Are you okay?” I asked, as I wiped the tears on his cherubic face, “Don’t cry. Here.” I placed a Band-Aid that I keep on my dress' pocket (in case of emergencies, because I'm quite clumsy) on his skinned knee. “Is it better now?” The child answered me with a nod, finally smiling before running again.

 

I was still looking at the child, worried he might fall again when a hand was then held out in front of me. My eyes immediately fixated at the Cartier bracelet that I saw him wearing the last time we met, the same Cartier bracelet that my soulmate was wearing.

 

“Watch where you’re going, Mia.” He said as he pulled me up. I stifled a gasp.

 

“W-what did you just say?” I stuttered, looking at him. My eyes fixed on him, my hands not letting go of his, my heart beating so loudly I was afraid it would jump out of my chest. I feel like a wildfire was spreading throughout my body when he said those words. My words.

 

His lips formed a smile together with his eyes, “I said, watch where you’re going, Mia or should I call you Miyako?”

 

“Y-you’re Tunapie?” I asked, unable to believe it. ‘Are you my soulmate too’ I want to know, I was too scared to ask. I’m a confused wreck right now, a confused wreck on cloud nine if that was possible.

 

He just nodded his head, still holding my hand, smiling. “I told you I was going to show you something when we meet, right?”

 

“Huh?” was my brilliant reply. My mind turning into a puddle of goo from the way his looking at me, the way he's holding my hands, the way he was smiling at me.

 

He smiled, not knowing that I’m slowly getting blinded by his bright smile. He squeezed my hand before letting it go. He leaned closer to me, “I want to show you this.” he whispered, as he pulled the collar of his shirt.

 

There it was, his soulmark, black and branded on his right chest: Is he yours? He’s so cute!

 

“Exactly what you said to me the first time we met.” he said while I was still staring at his inked skin. “I was really worried why my soulmate will say that though. I don’t know who the he is. Is she pertaining to my boyfriend? Am I gay? Or is she referring to my child? Will I have a child at this age?”

 

I smiled a little at his joke but I want to know one thing, “You knew that time that I was your soulmate. Why didn’t you tell me anything then?”

 

Mark took my hand again, eyeing me seriously, “Because I don’t want fate or destiny to rule my life. I was already in love with someone else back then. I was in love with you way before I knew you were my soulmate.” He said, sincerity ringing in every word he said. He was smiling down at me, he looks completely smitten by me.

 

I couldn’t even muster one reply, I was so damn happy. I just looked at him too, not caring if we looked like a foolish couple in the eyes of others.

 

“I know you’re not yet in love with me but I want you to know that in no time, I’ll make you fall in love with me.” He whispered in my ears, holding me close to him, my heart about to combust. “Not just because I’m your soulmate but I’m me. I’m all in, Mia.”

 

I couldn’t take it anymore, I pushed him slightly away. He relented, but his hands still holding mine, “Uhm,” I looked down at our entwined hands, “We should probably introduce ourselves… properly?” I suggested, flushing a deep red. “I’m Miyako but my real name is Mia Shin.”

 

He gave my hand a squeeze, nodding before saying,  “Hi, I’m Tunapie, but my real name is Mark Tuan.”

 

Mark, my soulmate, shot me a look and added, “Nice meeting you.”