Remember to Forget

I'll Remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHF3Jv6Gk2o

~Spring 2010~ (Ages 9/10)

"Leon, wait!"

Her small and fragile voice came out as the boy ran towards the other girl, who was currently being bullied by girls that no doubt, over powered her.

"Hey! Leave her alone!"

The small and scrawny boy put on his best posture and stood before the girl on the floor, covering her face. The other three girls simply laughed and called him a loser while they sauntered off.

"Are you okay?" Leon asked the girl.

"Why did you do that? I could've handled them." The stubborn girl retorted.

"It didn't look like it.."

Wendy watched from afar as the two continued their ramble. She felt a small pang but simply ignored it as she whispered,

"I'll remember."

------------

~Summer 2014~ (Ages 13/14)

Four years have passed, and while Wendy and Leon's friendship grew, so did the relationship between him and the other girl.

Wendy questioned herself why it bothered her so much when she saw them together, but never made an attempt to talk about it with anyone.

"What's your favorite color?" Leon asked the other girl, bringing Wendy out of her thoughts.

They were currently at recess and were sitting on a picnic table. Leon and the other girl on one side, Wendy on the other.

"Wel-"

"Never mind. You change it all the time." That resulted in Leon getting a fist in the arm from the girl.

"Wendy, remember when Skylar said she'd stand up for herself? I personally think she looked cuter than she was expecting to appear." Leon teased.

Wendy realized she didn't need to answer, considering he was looking at the other girl, even while addressing her name. Neither did Wendy recall ever paying much attention to what Skylar was saying as much as Leon did.

"I'll remember."

-----------

~Autumn 2018~ (Ages 17/18)

"Skylar! It's getting colder, you should wear a scarf." Leon exclaimed and wrapped a white scarf around the girl's neck. Wendy walked a good distance behind them watching Leon's affection towards the girl. After all these years, Leon finally got what he'd always been aiming for. For Skylar to be his beloved.

Wendy, as usual, trailed on behind them feeling the familiar ache she had been for so long, almost too long. She'd always say the same thing herself; Maybe one day, he'll see me.

For now she would continue following and aiding him, whenever Skylar wasn't there. At least that's when his attention is on her.

"I'll remember."

------------

~Winter 2021~ (Ages 21/22)

Wendy had come to realize that maybe things won't go her way in this lifetime. She stopped sitting at the same tables as Leon and Skylar. She'd walk the opposite direction Leon and Skyler were headed. She'd watch her and Leon's favorite movies alone. She'd make only one portion of food for herself.

But Wendy couldn't deny how much her and Leon's friendship had blossom. Even if he chose the other girl, Leon could never forget that Wendy was always his best and first friend. Every downfall he and Skylar had, he'd come to her. And of course, Wendy always helped him. Giving him the best advice, the best comfort, the best of everything. Even still he was blind, so blind.

She felt herself getting weak as she reached into the bathroom cabinet. Leon had just told her he'd be proposing to Skylar. He wanted for her to take Skylar dress shopping. And to not forget.

"I'll remember."

------------

~Spring 2030~ (Ages 29/30)

Wendy laid on the floor of her bathroom, her body unwillingly wanting to move. She'd been coming to take her daily dosage of medicine, when her muscles gave in and now she was just lying there.

Brain tumor. The doctor had said. She just went in for a check up when they discovered the tumor.

Wendy remembered not feeling any kind of remorse when the news was delivered to her, it's as if she herself was already accepting it.

She only told her family. Not even Leon knew. So when she felt herself being gathered up in those strong and familiar arms, she relished the feeling. And as she glanced at the face she'd fallen so deeply for, that sharp jawline she wish she could hold. Those eyes that she wanted to stare into hers, as lovingly as she did towards him. But no.. That wouldn't happen. And as she was pushed into the emergency room, she held his eyes one last time whispering,

"I'll remember."

-------------

Leon was devastated.

He had gone to her house to get away from the sight of Skylar with the other man. Only to find Wendy lying on her bathroom floor, eyes dazed and blood rushing out from the side of her head where she must've hit. During the ride to the hospital, he cursed himself for being so caught up with Skylar he didn't even realize the pain his own best friend was going through.

So when he was told that she didn't make it, he closed himself off. His divorce with Skylar hadn't been the easiest, he'd walk around Wendy's house until he realized she wasn't even there anymore. Gone. He didn't want to believe it.

He didn't even realize when he'd started going through her stuff, not missing any detail of everything she left behind. That was when he found it. Notes stashed in a small box with those design she loved so much, notes about him.

Leon made a new friend, Skylar. She's really pretty..

Leon smiles a lot these days, it must be Skylar..

Leon and Skylar..
Leon... I love you.

Leon knew now. He knew why she'd always give him shy smiles when they weren't in public, why she'd always be so quiet whenever Skylar was with him, why she'd stop showing up every Friday to his games. Why she'd always said I'll remember.

He sat there on her bedroom floor, the note in his hands. Tears streaming down his face as his heart ached for the one girl that stood by his side all these years. The one girl he was so blind to because of his selfishness.

She remembered everything. All of the paintings that were hung up at the wedding. All of his and Skylar's moments, she had replicated them onto blank canvases. A love story so colorful but now dull. It didn't matter anymore. She was gone, and he will never be able to make it right.

"I'll remember."