Chapter 2

Heartrap
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

June’s head hurt when he woke up in the next morning. He looked around and found Bobby sleeping beside him on the couch. His friend’s hair a mess, just like his own. Bobby was drooling, his saliva forming a wet spot on his shirt and June felt himself slightly disgusted by it. There was also an empty Soju bottle on the café table in front of him.

“Ahhh right...” he slowly started to recall what happened last night. After Bobby and he were done eating, Bobby suggested opening a bottle of Soju. Usually, June would refuse, but since June thought he fantasized anyway that day about things that actually didn’t exist, aka the tiny boy dancing in the rain, getting a little bit wasted couldn’t be that bad.

Regretting it now he slowly stood up, not wanting to wake up his friend since his condition was probably not better than his own. He supported his body on the wall and tried to bring himself to the bathroom. “Was it really just one bottle?” he doubted his memory as he looked at his own reflection in the bathroom mirror.

“!” June hissed when he felt a peculiarly strong string of pain in his head. He really should stop listening to the stupid suggestion of his idiotic best friend. He washed up fast and changed his work clothes (luckily he had more than one set of them since he didn’t change them last night). Fixing his tie a little bit, he looked much better than half an hour ago when he woke up.

With Bobby still drooling over himself in his sleep on June’s couch, June left the apartment. He was already more than just late so he practically ran to his workplace. It’s not like he couldn’t afford a car. He could if he wanted to, but the small distance between his apartment and workplace and the lack of physical activity in his daily life, made this to his only attempt to maintain his body in a healthy condition. Luckily it was just a few streets away from his apartment so he just needed good 15 minutes to arrive, panting hard.

His day was like always. If he ignored the slight headache from getting drunk with Bobby a night before it wasn’t even that bad.

 “You brought food!” June exclaimed as soon he saw Bobby with plastic bags coming through the door to his office desk, which was full of random paperwork. He hurried up and cleaned up so that bobby could place the bags on it. 

“Like always,” Bobby replied with a soft smile on his lips.

“How’s your head?” he asked June.

“Better than in the morning at least” June replied. After 15 glasses of water, his mind seemed to have cleared a bit, which he was really thankful for since it would be impossible to work with the headache he had in the morning.

“How about you?” June asked.

“It still hurts like hell,” Bobby laughed and started to take out the small food containers he brought with himself, “and thanks for not waking me up this morning,” he added and it made June smile. Although they always teased each other Bobby never forget to show how thankful he is to June. It was not only about letting Bobby sleep in the morning.

Bobby’s life wasn’t easy to begin with. Living alone with his mother Bobby had multiple jobs (sadly, none of them well paid) so he was able to pay the rent and to buy things they daily need. It up a lot of his energy and June noticed it first, when his best friend started to look day after day more like a train-wreck. That’s why a few months ago June suggested paying for the half of the rent for the apartment Bobby and his mother lived in. At first, Bobby declined, saying he’s older than June and that he can take care of his family on his own. And then it happened one evening that June found Bobby standing at his door entrance, face puffy and tears streamed down his cheeks “Please help me June.” he begged. And June heard is heart cracking because of the scene in front of him.

There were not many people in June’s life he really cared about. There were his parents, his sister and then there was Bobby. Bobby won a special place in June’s heart without even needing to play for it and June gladly gave him that little part of his heart. Bobby was a special person he never wanted to let go. He was his best friend, although June would have never admitted it out loud.

“I didn’t think you would accept when I suggested opening the bottle of soju yesterday,” Bobby began while stuffing rice in his mount “I tried it many times already and you never did,” he added.

“Yeah…” June trailed off, “I saw something weird yesterday while going home from work. I thought I should give me brain a real reason to act weird.”

“You saw something weird?” Bobby seems suddenly more interested in the conversation they had. The rice he was about to stuff in his mouth, forgotten on his spoon.

“Nothing important. Just a kid doing stupid on the street,” June declared while he continued with his meal.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter