Crimson

The Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Damn! Damn! Damn! What should I do?

“Ahmm~” Nayeon grabbed hold of Mina’s shoulders and patted it softly. “By the way I want to know. What’s your name? Jeongyeon haven’t told me your name.”

“Ohh!” Mina replied. “So her name is Jeongyeon.” She smiled just by thinking of the name. Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon. The name of her saviour kept on rewind in her thoughts. I should remember her name from now on. For foreigner like Mina, pronouncing Jeongyeon’s name is quite tongue-twisted. That is why she preferred to pronounce the name with Hiragana or Katakana syllabary. “My name is Mina. Myoui Mina. Just call me Mina.” Mina introduced herself.

Go, Jeongyeon! Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows and stretched out her hands, signalling Jeongyeon from Mina’s behind, giving her hand gestures.

“Hello?” Mina stared at Nayeon, wondering what the expression was all about. Mina turned her head behind, only to find nothing peculiar to be seen.

 “What’s your name?” Mina turned her head to the front, pulling out her hand.

“Come again?” Nayeon responded. Behind her calm expression, her heart throbbing heavily, every nerve in the system went crazy, and she even screamed to the top of her lungs in her thoughts.

Luckily Jeongyeon made it to escape, running to the corridor just in time right before Mina turned around.

“Your name. What’s your name?” Mina repeated.

“Nayeon,” Nayeon stretched out her hand and shook her hand. “Im Nayeon.” Fuhh~ Nayeon let out her breath in relief.

“Nice to meet you, Nayeon.” Mina smiled.

“Well thank you.”

Now what should I do next? This is awkward. Spiritually, Nayeon already hold a guidance book on how to serve guest in the house, turning the page only to find it completely blank. Nayeon was completely blank right now. She had no idea how to having a conversation with Mina. It was true – Nayeon worked in the daytime with human being but in the workplace, they only discussed about works and meetings, nothing more.

In point of fact, Mina was the first person, first human being, first Homo sapiens, their very first visitor coming to their house since Nayeon and Jeongyeon lived together for years.

Aha! Nayeon snapped her fingers mentally. “Mina, how about we cook together for dinner tonight?” Nayeon hold her hand and guided her to the refrigerator.

“Sounds great!” Mina exclaimed.

“We got lots of food stock here since we are away from the main city.” Nayeon opened the door gasket, the switch flicking and brightened the interior of the refrigerator.

The refrigerator stood like a great silver monolith in the kitchen. It stood as a testimony to the extravagance lifestyle, oversized and full of cold meat slices. Almost every kind of red meat were discovered especially in freezer compartment – meat, mutton, lamb, venison – including Jeongyeon’s favourite rabbit meat.

Gosh! Nayeon stepped backward and slammed her forehead. I totally forgot that we’re meat eater. She rolled her eyes, annoying with her own idea. Why didn’t I think about this?

On the other side, Mina gasped in awe, holding the door gasket open. This is paradise! she thought. Mina can’t kept her eyes away from staring at the stockpile of meat in the freezer compartment. Meat~ she pressed the frozen meat. For a meat maniac like Mina, it was full of blessing for her staring inside the freezer compartment.

“Jeongyeon and I love meat, that’s why–”

“I love meat too!” Mina exclaimed, after a moment later she added, “I work as a kitchen assistant in my friend’s fast food but it’s only my part time job. How if I cook for us tonight? Is it okay?”

“Tonight?” Nayeon questioned. You’re nice. I like you. “Sure! No problem! How are we going to start?”

“First of all,” Mina opened the refrigerator compartment only to find a carton of milk and eggs inside.

What a disaster, Nayeon closed her eyes, crossing her arms, heaving out heavy sigh.

Hhmmm~ Mina thought to herself.

“Nayeon, is it okay if I use your food for the ingredients later?” she asked.

“Sure! No problem. I’m so sorry. I didn’t go for groceries shopping last week.”

“No, it’s okay,” Mina stood up, picking up the ingredients and placed it on the dining table. “Besides, this is not my first time cooking. Trust me.”

 

Mina and Nayeon were marinated the beef in the kitchen when Mina heard the slammed door echoing the house. Mina paused her work and looked at Nayeon, struggling to even the herbs spreading on the beef.

“Nayeon,” Mina asked. “Is it Jeongyeon?”

“Yeah,” Nayeon answered plainly.

She’s home? I didn’t hear she’s back, Mina’s white chef’s hat drooped into her face as she spooned Bombay onion over a roast of beef. Maybe I too focus on preparing the meal tonight. She pushed the hat away.

“Nayeon!” a voice came out from outside of the kitchen. “Nayeon! Where are you? We have a serious problem right now.”

Sana? Nayeon quickly wiped her hands on her apron and walked out from the kitchen.

There, at the balcony, stood Sana.

“Sana! What are you doing here? In the hour like this?” Nayeon hardly slapped Sana's calf.

“Ouch! Stop it! It hurts.” Sana leaped down from the balcony, rubbing her leg part and stood in front of her friend. “Nayeon, we need your help. Tzuyu and–” Sana narrowed her eyes, sniffing the air with intense. “You're cooking?” she grinned. “You're cooking?” Sana burst out laughing.

 “It’s not me, you silly,” another smack landed on Sana, this time on her back. “We got guest right now. She’s the one who cook the meal.”

“I smell human. She’s human, right?” Sana shoot back.

 

Mina worked quickly and carefully, concentrating on every detail. Everything’s going well so far, she thought. She spooned some red sauce from a pot and tasted it. “Mmmm~” The sauce for the beef was almost ready. Now was the perfect time to add the port wine. Now where is the wine? she wondered. “Nayeon?” Mina called her name. “Where’s the wine?”

Nayeon’s eyed widened, her heart pounding as she heard her name. “Sana! Quick! Disguise yourself!” she pushed Sana to the corner of the living room.

“Into what?” Sana panicked.

“I don’t know. Just anything!”

“Nayeon?” Mina hurried out of the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. “Where’s the wine – Owhh hi, Woof!” she waved her hand.

You’re hot! Woof! Sana responded.

“Ahmm~” she pointed her finger to the cupboard, slightly kicking Sana's side. “It’s in that cupboard. Second from left.” “Thank you,” Mina picked up the wine and entered the kitchen.

“My heart,” Nayeon heavily exhaled in relief, “And you, what kind of bark is that? Are you trying to mate or something?”

Sana transformed herself into a human form, patting her long sleeved black jacket. “Geez, sorry. But Nayeon, we must hurry. We really need your help.” she pleaded.

“I want to join,” Jeongyeon appeared from her room, walking approach them, drying her hair with a face towel.

“Are you kidding me?” Nayeon responded. “Right now it’s not even 12 and you want to join? How do you want to fight them? With your fist? They are Vampire, Jeongyeon. Vampire. A single kick wouldn’t even hurt them. Not to say killing them.”

Nayeon hold Sana's hand and nodded. “Let’s go, Sana.” Nayeon and Sana dashed towards the windows before jumped down from the balcony.

“Dinner is ready!” Mina walked out from the kitchen while holding a plate of roasted beef with red sauce. “Owhh, hi there.” Mina greeted, trying not to show how pleased she was when Jeongyeon was right in front of her. “I cook for us tonight.”

“Yeah,” Jeongyeon wiped her hair, “I could smell the dishes in the bathroom. Thank you.” Jeongyeon pulled the dining chair and sat, gesturing towards Mina to place the dish on the table.

“Here you are,” Mina smiled. “Where’s Nayeon?”

 “Nayeon went out. Someone’s looking for her,” Jeongyeon answered without staring at Mina. She dipped the beef into the sauce and shove it to . Owhh my! This is masterpiece! “This is marvellous, Mina! Take another plate for me and for yourself. You should taste your own dish. This is splendid!” Jeongyeon smiled, giving thumbs up for the excellent dish.  

“I’ll be back,” Mina rushed to the kitchen, placing the roasted beef before pouring with red sauce on the plate for Jeongyeon and herself. She knows my name. Mina smiled. Owhh~ she got an angelic smile. Am I dreaming right now?

“Mina,” Jeongyeon called. “Ahh! On the way,” She lifted up the plate and brought it to the dining room before sitting side by side with Jeongyeon.

 

The Lord stood before a high table draped in dark velvet. Like all the others in the room, she wore a long, hooded black robe over her lean and deadly, double-edged dagger – the blade made up of pure silver – at her waist. Light from the dozens of red candles lining the room flickered, catching her red eyes. They glinted beneath her cowl like twin flames, seemingly with a pair of fangs appeared between their closed lips.

The house of the Vampire or they called it Voltera had once been one of Vampire’s finest. It still had its high, vaulted ceilings and marble floors, the leaning coffin lined up a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter