Ultimate

The Guardian
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Momo! Watch out!”

Jeongyeon pushed Momo too hard to the extent that she felt on the ground. She was about to turn herself and faced the enemy, but before she could make the next move, she felt the burning pain of the scratches penetrating into her back.

Momo immediately stood up and jumped, targeting and slashed the opponent into half, leaving the Vampires shrieking in pain as she caught Jeongyeon, trying to stand still. She hugged Jeongyeon from her side, causing Jeongyeon to scream in pain. She immediately released her hand that in contact with Jeongyeon’s back and found the thick crimson liquid pasted on her arm.

“Jeongyeon,” Momo said, shocking of the presence of the blood on her arm. “You’re bleed–”

“Jeongyeon!”

Momo could not finish her word as the appearance of her friend was terrifying. Her face was as pale as a bedsheet, her eyes were about to rolled and she breathed through , panting. The blood drained down through her waist and thigh and she could not even support herself.

It were the sign of losing too much blood.

Jeongyeon did not have much time to be delayed or the bleed will cost her life.

Momo bowed her back in front of weakening Jeongyeon, pulling Jeongyeon’s hands’ to her shoulders and slightly bumped Jeongyeon’s torso on her back, trying to lift her up and carried her away from the scene. It was very tiring for her too since she was in the battle alone almost two hours ago.

She did not realized that one of the Vampires smirked in proud seeing the scenario. It was the best chance for him to kill Jeongyeon and Momo in the same time.

Like throwing a stone on two birds.

Like drinking the water while swimming.

That was the best description of the moment for him.

He made his move slowly behind Momo and Jeongyeon, marking them as his victim list. The colour of his eyes changed from dark black to bloodred – as a symbolic of victory for himself. He learnt the basic characters of his rival ever since he was a Vampire. The one who royally complete with weapon was a Master, a gifted human and not more than that. No high definition of sensory receptor – eyes, ears and nose – or activation of sixth sense whatsoever.

It was a chance for him to make a move.

They were totally backing him.

He leaped to his feet, roaring with fury. Momo turned her body as she heard the awakening roar of the Vampire and wailed, squeezing her eyes shut, waiting for the nails to rip through her skin and tear into her heart. But it didn’t.

She opened her eyes to see Nayeon stood frozen, behind the Vampire who was slowly kneeling on the floor. His head rolled down from his neck and stopped at Momo’s feet before vanished into ashes.

“Seriously guys?” Nayeon said in the most maddening tones of her voice while came to blow with the Vampires. “Luckily Tzuyu overheard Sana and Dahyun’s conversation and told me where are you guys going when I called home just now.”

Even though Nayeon came to the rescue and added another member of the Werewolves, it did not stop the Vampires to march on and attacked them. The number of Vampires were getting duplicating as if they were planned to have their backup team to attack the girls, as if they were waiting for the moment to vanish them all.

Realizing the risk of continuing facing them, Jihyo commanded her team to retreat. Her excellent leadership altitude demanded Nayeon to cover Jeongyeon and Momo and asked Dahyun to follow them behind. It was the best decision she could think of in the midst of the chaos. She could not dare to risk her team anymore, not after sacrificing her own Master who was left behind in Nayeon’s house.

Luckily Nayeon parked her car close to the scene thanks to the information she gained from Tzuyu. The best part of all, the location was situated close to her workplace. She asked help from Dahyun to support Jeongyeon since it was almost impossible for Momo to do it alone. Dahyun nodded, a gesture of understanding the purpose and brought Jeongyeon enter the car while Momo helped to open the door.

For Nayeon, it was expected for the Vampires to follow them behind. That was why she standby behind the three of them whole the time to guard them. She made it to kill few numbers of the opponent that ambushed behind the darkness of the night, still performing the best duty to protect the Masters even though she did it alone.

Once she reached her own car, she immediately jumped into the front seat of the car and started the engine. From the side mirror she could see Jihyo and Sana followed them behind and she sighed in relief. They could survive even under the roughest waves of the enemies.

As expected from her teammates.

“Sana! Go get to the car!” Jihyo signalled Sana to protect the vehicle from any possible form of the attack, joining her. Sana smirked with pleasure, immediately ran toward the tail of the car and slayed the Vampires. Becoming a Werewolf suited her best. Even though Sana was immature in her thoughts but her action was performed beyond her age.

Dahyun could not stand much longer just by watching her Guardian through the window, making a move and kill their rival outside the car. She immediately shifted her position on the seat to the very end side of the car, rolled down the window and shot them right with her silver bullet, one of the main weaknesses of the Vampires. Even though the distance between Dahyun’s target and Sana were too close but she could shot them well as if the bullet understood Dahyun’s desire.

It was not only because of Dahyun’s efforts and continuous practice that resulting her to become the expert of her own weapon but trust overcome them all. Dahyun and Sana were trusting each other very much. Who else dared backing the shooter besides Sana? Who else dared to shot their foes that were so close to their companion besides Dahyun? They were crazy on their own – even Jihyo kept on reminding them to not risking one another especially during the fighting – but their senselessness idea was the one who kept them in rhythm.

Tzuyu's philosophy described them very well. “The shadow won’t appear if the owner doesn’t lit the light.”

They won’t called the duo if one of them were far away.

As seemed the Shadow World knew how to play with the destiny and faith. The creator of their universe knew how to make ‘play-and-match’ games in reality.

Sana and Dahyun were the best example.

Even though Dahyun helped Sana and Jihyo to counter the attack, it was not enough to combat the attack from the air. Jihyo saw the plan of their rival as they were flying above the car, too high that they were hiding behind Dahyun’s blind spot. Jihyo increased the speed of her step and jumped on Nayeon’s car, immediately slashed them with her katana before the Vampires could make their next move.

Because of their excellent teamwork and brilliant instant plan, the girls failed the plan of the Vampires to attack them. As their opponents stopped chasing them, Jihyo and Sana immediately jumped into the car through the windows that were opened widely by Nayeon.

From the inside of the car, Jeongyeon yelped in pain as Momo pressed the cut on her back with her shirt. Nayeon’s rough driving skill because of uneven road surface somehow pushed Momo’s hand to press the cut harder than it supposed to be, adding more pain on Jeongyeon’s back.

“Damn Jeongyeon!” Sana said as she saw the cut. “That’s pretty deep. We should send her to the hospital,” she concerned.

“And then what?” Jeongyeon said in between her trembling voice. “Tell the medic team we’re attacked by the Vampires? Who’s going to believe us– Arghh!” Jeongyeon screamed in pain as she tried to turn her body and faced Sana.

“You shouldn’t moving, Jeongyeon,” Momo warned. “You’ll only open the cut more if you move a lot. You’ve bleed a lot.”

“Nayeon,” Jihyo said. “Just drive us straight away to your house.”

“Okay,” Nayeon nodded, immediately pressed on the pedal and make a swift U-turn, the only shortcut to her house. She secretly peeked Momo and Jeongyeon from the rear mirror. Anger built up from her inside as she remembered meeting Momo on the way to the location. It was the same scenario happened when she met Momo for the first time in Japan few years ago.

She always causes trouble to us, Nayeon thought. What is her agenda this time?

 

“Hang in there, Jeongyeon,” Jihyo said as she lifted Jeongyeon at her side helped by Sana. Nayeon told Dahyun to bring in a basin filled with water, towel and vodka – the same material used by Mina to treat her and Tzuyu last time. Thanks to Mina, Nayeon was confident enough to take care of Jeongyeon although it was her first time.

They brought Jeongyeon to her room, slowly landed her on the bed. Her front facing the mattress while Jihyo took the scissors inside the drawer of the cupboard and carefully cut the fabric of Jeongyeon’s shirt. It was hard for Jihyo to pull the textile without causing pain to Jeongyeon as her blood was dried out and clotting, eventually brought the cloth to stick on her back and her cut.

Jeongyeon sank her face on her pillow. She shouted in agony, covered with the bolster as Jihyo tried to pull the fabric away from the cut. When Dahyun came back to the room, Nayeon immediately poured about a half bottle of vodka to the towel and patted it on Jeongyeon’s back.

Jeongyeon shouted in pain once again and this time he voice was louder. She grabbed the bedsheet tightly, forming a fist with the hope somehow that it could reduce the pain on her back. The burning sting was more severe this time and she could feel the liquid slowly penetrating through her skin and leaving a numb sensation of the cut.

Momo stepped forward after hiding behind Sana and Dahyun for the whole time, wanting Nayeon to stop doing her things but paused by Jihyo as she grabbed Momo’s hand.

“She knows what she’s doing,” Jihyo assured Momo. “I think we better go out from this room. Leave a space for Nayeon to do her work.” One by one the girls made their way out from the room before Jihyo twisted the doorknob and stood in front of the door.

“Call us if you need any help,” Jihyo spoke to Nayeon. A slight nod from the eldest confronted Jihyo. Nayeon was listening to her despite that she was totally under pressure to take care of Jeongyeon. Jihyo slowly twisted the doorknob and closed the door, leaving Nayeon and Jeongyeon alone in the room.

Loud inner growl of her stomach was the reason why Jihyo making her way to the kitchen as her next stop. Replenished her energy was what she wanted to do next after reached home. She was thinking about her plan starting from inside the car. She haven’t ate anything since the afternoon, after helping Jeongyeon replaced Mina’s broken furniture.

As she walked through the hallway, she met Sana and Dahyun having a conversation with Momo in the dining room. From the aromatic caffeine filled the air, definitely it was coffee that were served to Momo. Jihyo could guess the servant to make the drink would be Dahyun since she was the youngest among them all.

“Hey,” Jihyo greeted the trio.

“How’s Jeongyeon?” Momo asked, wanting to stand up but stopped by Jihyo.

“I’ve no idea. She’ll be alright. Trust Nayeon,” Jihyo comforted her. “I just want to ask you something, Sana.” She changed her focus and looked at Sana. “How do you know where Momo is? You even know her exact location.”

“I I–” Sana stuttered.

“I’m the one who asked Sana to keep it as secret,” Momo spoke out. “Actually Sana and I still keep in touch until now even though you lead the team to move out from Japan. Most of time we called each other,” she continued.

“But how do you meet the Vampires? Are you met them by coincidence? The number was not kidding. It’s a lot, Momo. A lot. You could’ve been killed if we’re not arrived,” Jihyo showed her concern through her words.

“Jihyo,” Momo stood up and patted the Alpha’s shoulder. “I’m getting used at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter