third

WHERE YOU ARE

ROA

"Jisoo-ah, I'm sorry." I said while playing with the soft strands of her hair. "I'm such a nuisance, aren't I?" She looked up to me with an apologetic expression. I shook my head telling her there's nothing to apologize for. "You're North Korean, aren't you?" 

 

She slowly nodded. "I'm sorry for not telling you." 

 

I sighed. "Are you okay?" 

 

"I'm fine. It's you I'm worried about. Why...Why did you do that?" Again, she had tears in her eyes. When am I every going to see her smile again?

 

"Just... Without thinking, I just ended up saving him," I said calmly. "Wait, do you know him?" 

 

"Anybody who is anybody knows who he is, Roa." 

 

"What?!" 

 

"Jeon Jungkook... North Korea's greatest product that's why so many people are after him." She paused for awhile looking out the window searching for the right words to say. "Ever since he was a toddler, he was thrown to the military grounds. He was a high-ranking government official's son. Without any day off, he was trained by the special forces. To become the fist of North Korea."

 

Jisoo let out a short breathe. "He was a prodigy. Flawless DNA. Whatever he did, he excelled with the highest scores. He once single-handedly beat up 50 highly-trained men within record time of 5 minutes."

 

She scoffed. "As if that wasn't enough, his father sent him to the U.S with a new forged identity. He got accepted into the black ops. He trained again for about 2 years. Before he got more attention, his fathers called him back, but he didn't return."

 

"Why?"

 

"He didn't want to kill anymore that made him a fugitive. A traitor to his own country." My thoughts lingered to her last words. "But his father insisted. After Jungkook resisted for a long time. I don't know how but he finally returned to North Korea. They brought him up for execution, but the dictator strangely forgave him. He used that to his advantage. He fled to West to hide. But, now he's back here." 

 

"Jisoo-ah" I beckoned.

 

"Roa, whatever you stay away. He's made right choices, but he's still not a good person. The training, his father, his personal experiences has poisoned him. So if you happen to meet him, walk away. He's not thankful for what you did." 

 

"I already know that," 

 

"Good, now let's get you home." She rose up her bed before I stopped her. "No, you can't go with me. You'll be in danger." 

 

She blinked repeatedly in alert. "What? What do you mean?" 

 

"They know, Jisoo. The people after him, they know." 

 

Her eyes widened into the size of saucers. "Don't tell me... They saw you didn't they. Nope. Nevermind. This..." She gripped my wrist. "They did this to you didn't they? Torturing you for information?" 

 

I tried claming her down. "It's fine Jisoo."

 

"It's not!" She exploded. I flinched. "I am sorry. Let's run away, Roa-ya. If we run far away enough, they won't be able to catch you." 

 

"No need to do that, Jisoo. We'll be protecting her." Colonel spoke out of nowhere. Together with Jungkook and Lieutenant. 

 

Jisoo's jaw dropped in shock. "Sir, that's crazy. That's instant suicide!"

 

He raised an eyebrow an her. "For her of for us?" 

 

"For both!" Jisoo increased her voice. "Please let's just send him away." She didn't forget to send a glare at Jungkook. "They'll forget about her once the chaos is over." 

 

"I'm not going anywhere. Not for her." Jungkook interjected. "I have better things to do than to run away for some girl who couldn't mind her own business." 

 

"Jeon Jungkook!" Jisoo screamed. This time I sent a glare to Jungkook. If looks could kill, he'd probably be dead right now.

 

"It's fine. I don't need protection or anything. This is the border right? I can ask one of the South Korean soldiers to take me back." I suggested. The Colonel and Lieutenant looked at me as if I was out of my mind. Jungkook just jeered at me. 

 

"Uhm Roa-ya, that will kill us immediately." Jisoo sighed deeply as she she was dealing with the highest order of stupidity on earth. "And let's say you were able to reach a South Korea soldier. Don't you think they'll question how the hell you ended up there? Then politics will get involved and blah blah blah. Just no okay?" 

 

"So what? I rot in here forever?!" 

 

"Do you think anyone here is actually willing to take care of you for that long?" Jungkook scoffed in disbelief. 

 

"If only you weren't there at that dumpster!" 

 

"If only you weren't so nosy!" He retaliated. 

 

"That's enough!" The Colonel scolded, scowling at both of us. We were both instantly silenced. "Miss Roa, we have a secret tunnel. It will bring you to Chuncheon. But you'll need to be escorted until you're home safe. There, the North Korean agents won't be able to reach you. For now." 

 

"I'll go with her, sir." Jisoo said. 

 

"No, you stay here. I need you to help treat the remaining soldiers with Lieutenant Kim." Colonel Rhee stated, posing as an authority figure. 

 

"Then...will he bring her?" Jisoo pointed at Jungkook reluctantly. Colonel nodded. Oh . 

 

The Colonel tapped Jungkook's shoulders before turning back to me. "If there's any trouble, please contact Jisoo. I'll be informed. Stay safe." Then he walked away limping. 

 

Jisoo grabbed my shoulders, shaking me. "I'll see you soon. Take care of your wound and don't forget to call me the moment you arrive at home. Okay?" 

 

I smiled. "Okay. Okay. Stop worrying." I waved goodbye to her and the others. Finally, I was alone with him

 

"Follow me as quietly as you can," He pulled me towards another room. Faster than I could blink, he wore a cap with a bandana over his mouth and nose. He opened a squeaky gate that led us through a dark pathway. 

 

We were walking in awkward silence before he suddenly stopped. "Jisoo might trust you. Colonel Rhee also believes you to some extent. But why do I keep feeling that you're hiding something." 

 

"What are you talking about?" I staggered back as stepped closer. 

 

"A simple bystander who wanted to save a life huh?" He took another step closer until we were an arm length apart. "So coincidently, you meet me and saw the sniper then ran to save my life?" That's smug smirk returned. "That's what Colonel Rhee said," 

 

I nodded, wiping the sweat off my palms. 

 

"Ah, there's something that Colonel Rhee didn't tell you." Another step. "If you..." Another step. "Tell anyone about what happened today..." Anther step. "I will personally find you. That time, I won't be this nice, okay?" I gulped pathetically in response. He took of his hat and placed it on my head. "Wear this," 

 

Silence took over again. I felt like I was walking for eternity. While we were walking, I took time to observe him. As usual, his motions were so graceful. He was truly for stealth. To be silent and deadly at the same time. Every inch of his body was covered with muscles. If we met in better conditions, I would have fawn over his beauty. Well, before I'd scowl over his personality of course. 

 

"From this point, stay behind me. If anyone attacks, just run." 

 

I nodded. Like he said, I constantly stayed behind him like a leech. Jungkook was calm as he wasn't anticipating any attack. He didn't to be alert. His reflexes would probably kill the attacker anyways. 

 

After ages I could finally see the outside, several soldiers surrounded the end of the pathway. At once, they started charging into us. Well, him mostly. He took down men one by one, striking only their vital points. He barely even broke a sweat. Wait, scratch that. He barely moved at all. All I did was watch in awe before one of the soldiers got a hold of me and pushed me on my back. I roared in pain as the ground came it contact with my gunshot wound. 

 

Suddenly, Jungkook came over. "Get on," 

 

He was implying that he piggyback me. No thanks rather not. "Uhm, it's okay." 

 

"Hurry up before more soldiers come," He commanded harshly, exasperated. I got on his back leaning with more force so he'd have a harder time. Take that!

 

I rode on his back for about a half an hour before he dropped me on my feet without giving me any warning. "If you take that train there, it will take you to Chuncheon station." 

 

"Okay... uh thank you." I waved slightly, not knowing what to do. As expected, he ignored me and went back walking to the small pathway we've just gone through. Then I realized that I didn't have pocket money for the train. After few moments of hesitating, I called for him. "Jungkook-ssi? I'm sorry but I don't have any money! Can I borrow some of yours?" I shouted loudly for him to hear.