Parting Ways

A Love of Two Sides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo whistled a tune as she bent over to pick up a sock. She’d woken up late and decided that doing some laundry would be a pleasant change of pace. Throwing the sock into the dryer, she huffed a breath as she checked the drum of the washing machine. Nothing else was left inside and she clicked start on the dryer, sitting down as the gentle rumblings of the machine started. She opened up her laptop and clicked on the video she’d been watching the day before. Her eyes slid over to her phone as her finger hovered over the mouse button and she wondered if Mina had sent her a message since she’d last checked. They’d been messaging each other frequently since coming back from their trip in the times when they weren’t together and it had grown into a familiar habit.

She blinked and some of her restraint held back her urge to check. She pressed play on the video and clicked her pacer as she continued making her notes. Minutes passed by slowly as she watched the video, bored slightly by the monotone of the narrator. It was the best video she could find on the topic she wanted to learn about but that didn’t mean it was a good one. With the first semester having barely ended, none of the resources for the next semester had been uploaded yet and it was difficult to find the exact material that was applicable for her learning. She paused the video with a sigh and got up, walking to the sink to fill a glass of water.

The tap hissed as water filled the cup Momo raised an eyebrow when she heard knocks. Drinking from the glass, Momo went to answer the door, wondering if it was Mina coming to explain what she had referred to in their conversation the day before. Momo still hadn’t found anything better than studying to fill her time and hoped that Mina coming over would change that. She opened the door and frowned when she saw her girlfriend standing in a long-sleeved dress with a basket hanging over an arm. She opened the door wider and Mina smiled happily at her. “What’s this?” she asked Mina, letting her enter the apartment. “I thought that with the sunny weather outside, we could go out for a picnic,” Mina answered as she slipped off her sandals. “I didn’t tell you because I wanted it to be a surprise.”

‘Well, consider me surprised. Why don’t you take a seat while I get ready?’

Mina nodded and Momo took another look at Mina’s dress and jacket before she headed towards her drawer. She didn’t have a dress like Mina’s that she could wear on their picnic and settled on a warm jumper and faded pair of jeans. Running a hand through her hair, she set a timer for the dryer and closed the lid on her laptop. She turned to Mina who was waiting patiently and gestured towards the door. Mina stood up and smoothed the front of her dress, linking her arm with Momo as they left the apartment and descended to street level. Blinking at the bright sunshine, Momo shaded her eyes with a hand and asked, “So can I ask you where we’re going or is that also a surprise?” Mina shook her head.

‘You can ask. I know of a nice park not far from here. I doubt many people will be there considering the warm weather was unexpected and it will be nice to have the place to ourselves.’

Momo nodded her approval and they walked to the nearby bus stop. They waited the few minutes it took and boarded the bus, sitting near the back. Momo leaned against Mina as they travelled, sharing a comfortable silence. When they arrived at their stop, they walked a short distance before they reached the entrance to the park. Trees dotted the green and other trees and bushes bordered a pond. Ducks and swans glided across the calm surface of the water and birdsong flittered among the branches above. As Mina had predicted, there was no one else at the park with only the occasional cycler passing by. A gravel trail s its way through the grass and Mina led them to a tree not far from the pond. She opened up the basket, taking out a large checkered blanket and laid it over the grass. She patted it flat and sat the basket in the centre. “The sun should’ve evaporated up all the moisture by now but the blanket should keep our butts dry if it hasn’t,” Mina said.

Momo watched a swan bow its neck into the water before sitting beside Mina. She stretched her legs out and rested her hands in her lap as she waited for Mina to reveal what else was in the basket. Mina didn’t keep her waiting for long and pulled out a few containers. One of the containers was filled with sandwich triangles, lined up neatly and in another were chunks of mango and watermelon slices. “Did you make all this?” Momo asked amazed as she looked at the containers. Mina nodded, slightly embarrassed. “I had nothing better to do this morning so I took some time to prepare these,” she said. She opened up the containers and handed a sandwich triangle to Momo. She took one for herself and started eating. The sandwich was delicious, chicken salad topped with mayonnaise, and the second one was just as tasty, ham and cheese.

“I didn’t know you could cook,” Momo commented when she had finished her third. Red spotted Mina’s cheeks as she handed Momo a tissue. “That’s not fair,” she protested indignantly. “Just because I don’t cook doesn’t mean I don’t know how. Besides, I felt guilty that you always make such delicious food and this is something that I can make to pay you back somewhat.” “If only Sana could think like that,” Momo lamented, shaking her head. Mina laughed and took out a bottle and two plastic cups from the basket. “More surprises?” Momo asked as Mina poured her a cup of sparkling golden liquid.

‘You enjoyed the cider we tried at that restaurant so I popped into a liquor store and bought some on my way to your apartment.’

Momo raised her eyebrows, surprised that Mina had remembered. It had been only a passing comment during their meal and she was touched. She took a sip and sighed contently as a sour tinge of apple remained in . After a second, she raised the cup and eyed it.

‘Is this picnic you trying to butter me up for something?’

Mina shook her head and laughed. “No. I wouldn’t dare,” she said. “It’s just that you’ve helped me a lot and you’ve never asked for anything in return. I wanted to do something for you and a picnic seemed a good idea.” Momo didn’t say anything for a moment, not knowing how to react. It was rare to be on the receiving end of something good and for a second, she wondered whether she was in a dream. “Thanks,” she finally said, thinking that anything more would mean too little. Mina just nodded easily and pierced a mango chunk with a toothpick, offering it to her.

When they were full, Mina packed away their lunch and they relaxed on the blanket. Momo lay on her back, her head resting in Mina’s lap with the tree branches providing shade from the sun. A cool breeze blew off the pond towards them and the distant sounds of nature seemed worlds away. Momo kept her eyes closed, enjoying the feel of Mina’s body so close to her. Her thighs were soft and made for a good pillow. For a second, she wished that it hadn’t taken them going on a trip together to realise their feelings for each other. Thinking on it now, she loved Mina more than anything else in the world and couldn’t imagine it as any other way. Her heart tightened slightly as she recalled the moment of her confession on the beach and she wondered how she had been so scared that she had considered not confessing.

Then she felt it – Mina wrapping a lock of her hair around a finger and toying with it. She opened her eyes and looked up. Mina was staring at her with love in her expression so intense that it made Momo forget that she could feel anything else. They locked eyes and time seemed to slow down. Still curling Momo’s hair around her finger, Mina’s free hand reached down to caress her cheek. “Kiss me, Momo” she whispered. So she did. She pulled herself up and covered Mina’s mouth with hers, hungry for the taste of her. She cupped her hands around Mina’s face and tried to convey everything she felt for Mina through the kiss. Mina responded in kind, her tongue probing gently, tracing the edge of Momo’s mouth. Feeling like it was only natural, she opened herself to Mina’s tongue, surprised that she liked the sensation.

Mina’s arm wrapped around her, pulling her closer still and her heart quickened when she felt Mina’s hand on her . Mina stopped suddenly and Momo blinked as she pulled away. “Sorry. I got lost in the moment,” Mina said, apologising. “What are you sorry for?” Momo asked, confused.

‘You don’t hate it?’

‘I never thought to.’

Mina remained motionless for a second until Momo kissed her again and her eyes glazed over with desire. She continued what she had been doing with her hand and Momo felt the touch as if she wasn’t wearing anything. She couldn’t help but imagine for a second that it would feel much nicer if she was touching Mina skin-to-skin. It was a daring thought and further than she had ever imagined possible but she felt completely safe in Mina’s embrace. She deepened the kiss wondering how far they would go when the sudden ringing of a bell pierced through their haze. They broke apart in a hurry and Momo watched as a cyclist disappeared around a bend, wolf-whistling as he went.  

She glanced at Mina and they shared a guilty look. “Maybe we shouldn’t be doing this somewhere so public,” she laughed. Mina grinned sheepishly, laughter dancing in her eyes. A duck quacked nearby and a short silence lulled. Momo felt her heart beat gradually return to normal and stood up, smoothing the front of her jumper. “Should we head back?” Momo asked. Mina nodded and stood up slowly, brushing away a few fallen leaves from the hem of her dress. She folded the blanket and neatly placed it back into the basket. They stepped onto the gravel trail, going back the way they had come. Momo paced beside Mina, holding her hand. They arrived at the empty bus stop and sat down to wait. The bench was cold to the touch but Momo didn’t notice it, eyes closed as she leaned against Mina.

~

Mina continued waving until Momo’s apartment door clicked shut. Dropping her arm, she fell back against the concrete wall. She listened for Momo’s muted footsteps as she walked away from the door and when she couldn’t hear them anymore, she sat down on the stone stairs. She placed the picnic basket over her knees, resting her chin on her arms. A dorky grin spread across her face as she stared out of the stairwell’s grubby window. It was growing dark outside but she didn’t notice. Her mind was replaying the scenes of the picnic and the kiss afterwards. It had been special and something Mina would never forget. Her hand still tingled with the memory of the feel of Momo and she blushed to herself. Momo’s s had been indescribably soft and so warm.

She shook her head, thinking that she had better things to do than fantasize about Momo’s body. She stood up and made her way down the stairs. A wave of cold wind hit her when she left the building and she quickened her pace. She skipped lightly over the pavement but paused when she felt a buzz from her pocket. She pulled out her phone and peered at the message notification on the screen. It was from her father and she clicked on it. ‘Call me when you’re free’ it read. Stepping to the side of the sidewalk, she dialled her father’s number. The call rang once before it was answered. “Hey Mina. I’m glad you got my message,” came her father’s voice, sounding more tired than usual. “Hi dad,” Mina greeted back. “Is something wrong?”

‘No. Not really. Where are you right now?’

Mina paused before replying, thinking that it was better she not mention she had gone out with Momo.

‘I’m going home. I’m walking towards a bus stop.’

‘Oh good. I’m in my office right now. Do you think you could take a bus or taxi here?’

‘Right now?’

‘If you can.’

Mina’s tilted her head at her father’s request. It sounded urgent but her father’s tone was his usual one, albeit more tired. “Su-re,” she said slowly. “I’ll be there in around half an hour. Is that alright?”

‘Great. I’ll be waiting. See you then.’

Mina said goodbye to her father then hung up. She waved her hand in the air to hail a passing taxi and hopped into the back seat. Gripping the seatbelt, she thought about the reason for her father wanting to see her. Her father hadn’t sounded weird but it was strange for them to meet in his office instead of at home. It was likely that it was something related to her presentation or the company but the uncertainty was unsettling and she felt a growing ball of unease in her stomach. She got out of the taxi when they arrived and paid the driver. The sidewalk was busy with people and she quickly stepped through the rotating doors into the company building’s reception. Another employee was waiting for the elevator as well and bowed when he saw her. She returned the bow and they rode up in silence.

She got off at the top floor where the executives’ offices were located. Her father’s office was the only one with its lights still on and she knocked on the door softly. Her father was seated at his desk, poring over documents and looked up at the knock. He smiled and waved her to a seat, taking off his glasses. He closed the folder he had been reading and wiped his glasses with a cloth. Mina sat across from her father, worried for his health. His eyes were slightly bloodshot and there was a limpness to his movements that showed his age. “So what did you want to see me about?” Mina asked when her father put his glasses back on. Her father took a deep breath before he said anything, tapping his pen against the wooden surface of the desk.

“Mina…did you ever think about what you might be doing in a few years? When you finish university and step out into the working world?” he asked. “I’d probably be working with you,” Mina answered, unsure of what her father was getting at. Her father his chin but nodded, seeming pleased with her answer. “And how do you find university right now?”

‘It’s fine I guess. It’s fun to be around people my age and experience the university life.’

‘That’s good.’

Her father paused, still tapping his pen, before continuing. “How’s your English?”

‘English? Uh, I took lessons when I was younger because you were always travelling overseas and thought that we might one day live where I’d need to speak it. Sorry dad, but can I ask what this is all about?’

Her father put the pen down and shook his head. He leaned forward in his chair and smiled apologetically. “My apologies. You’re right. I am getting a little off track,” he said. “You know how we opened a new branch in California?” Mina nodded, remembering her father taking her to visit the new building.

‘Well right now, the branch is getting ready to launch. Many of our employees have already transferred there and started working. However, the new branch needs people to watch over them in this tender stage of development. We’ve already decided on a group of a few executives who are willing to work overseas for the next few years until everything is settled down. The thing is, I want you to be a part of that group.’

Mina paused as she processed her father’s words. “You want me to live overseas and work in the new company branch?” she asked finally. Her father nodded, some of the fatigue in his eyes replaced with excitement.

‘Don’t worry. The group contains some of our most trusted and experienced individuals and if you ever need help, they’ll be more than qualified. I’d go so far as to say that some of them are better at my job than I am.’

‘You’re not coming?’

Mina’s father shook his head. “I’d love to but I can’t. I’m still needed here at the main office. We have many projects in the works and with the executives who will be leaving to watch over the new office, we can’t afford to lose another here.”

‘But I don’t want to go. I want to stay here and finish my degree before working full time with you.’

Mina’s father shook his head tiredly. “Life is so rarely about what we want. I feel like this is the perfect opportunity for you to earn some real hands-on experience for anything you might encounter in the future so that you’re ready when I finally retire.” Mina narrowed her eyes. “And this sudden decision for me to go overseas doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that I’m spending more time with Momo?” Her father sighed.

‘That does play a part in it but only a small one. For the most part I don’t mind who you spend your time with but I worry that you’re neglecting the reason why you transferred universities in the first place. Have you forgotten what you told me when I agreed to let you start working with me or has your dream changed?’

Mina fell silent at her father’s words, remembering clearly what he was referring to. At first, her father had adamantly refused to even let her step foot in the company offices but after doggedly insisting, he had finally relented after hearing what her dream was. I always wanted to grow up and follow in your footsteps at the head of the family company. I want to learn from the person who can teach me the best so that my father and mother can be proud of who I’ve become. The very next day, her father had told her to skip her classes for the week and join him at work.

‘I haven’t forgotten. I still want to follow in your footsteps. But…can you just let me think about it for a few days before I make up my mind?’

‘The group that’s leaving have called a meeting in a fortnight to discuss some things so you can think about it before then.’

Her father paused then lay a hand on her arm. “Look Mina, I know this isn’t a small thing,” he said gently. “But I really believe that it will be good for you to experience and it would ease some of my worry knowing that at the new office there is someone I can count on and trust. Can you be that someone?” Mina nodded but didn’t say anything and walked out of the office. She needed some time to think over everything and stood on the street in a daze as the wind blew over her. Why did things have to take a turn for the worse right when they were at their best? How was she going to decide? What was she going to tell Momo if she decided to go to America? The questions bounced around in her head but there was no voice that answered them and Mina hailed a cab to take her back to her apartment.

~

It was late evening by the time Mina got home. She walked up the path to her front door but instead of entering her apartment, she collapsed onto the small step where she tied her laces in the mornings. It was cold but she didn’t care. She leaned her head against the brick wall and looked up at the sky. Despite the bright lights of the nearby city, the moon was shining brightly in the sky. Dominating the vast blackness, it smiled down upon her as if understanding the struggle she was going through. Breathing in chilly air, Mina sat on the step for a while until a distant car horn wakened her from her stupor. Standing up with a sigh, she fished out her keys from her pocket and let herself in.

The cold was more bearable inside the house but Mina still the heater. Dumping her jacket on her couch, she walked to her fridge and peered inside. It was empty save for a tin of sliced peaches and she shut the door to order some takeaway. With nothing else to do but wait for the delivery, she sat on her couch and flicked through the channels on her television. Nothing grabbed her attention so she finally settled on a news channel and picked up her phone. It buzzed with notifications as it connected to the internet and she stared blankly when she saw that Momo had messaged her.

Opening up their conversation, she read the message and thought of a reply. Her fingers hovered over the screen, ready to type, but they were frozen in place. ‘What are you doing now?’ was such a simple question and asked for only a simple answer but nothing came to mind. She blinked a few times, willing herself to think of something. Her brain had turned to mush in the matter of a couple hours since her father had dropped the bombshell that he wanted her to go overseas. It didn’t help that she would have to tell Momo and it was all she could think about instead of replying to the message. She was finally saved from her dilemma by a knock and dropped her phone on the couch, abandoning it to answer the door.

She ate her dinner sullenly on her couch with the voice of the news anchor in the background. When she couldn’t stomach another mouthful of rice, she got up and placed her leftovers in her fridge. Feeling her back, she went up to her room to shower. In her underwear, she stood in front of the mirror and looked at her reflection. “So fast,” she thought. “How did everything turn out like this so fast?” Alone in her apartment, nobody answered the question and she drew her eyes away from the mirror and stepped into the shower. She showered slowly, content to let the warm spray distract her from her thoughts. When she got out, her fingers were heavily wrinkled and she was beginning to feel light-headed from all the steam.

She brushed her teeth and sat on the edge of her bed, waiting for her damp hair to fully dry. Her lights were switched off and left her in gloomy darkness. Staring into nothingness, Mina gave up waiting for her hair to dry and lay on her side. She covered herself with her blankets and closed her eyes but her brain refused to listen. Rolling from side to side resulted in her only feeling more uncomfortable. She thought wryly to only a few nights ago when she’d experienced the same problem. She couldn’t rely on Momo’s help this time as her phone was still lying on her couch and she was unable to muster up the energy to walk downstairs to get it. Besides, even if she could be bothered, she would only be reminded of the decision she had to make. She rolled over again and clenched her teeth, forcing away the thought. It was a few hours before she finally fell asleep, her father and Momo’s unanswered questions on her mind.

~

For the next few days, Mina went about her life like a recluse. She stayed at home and shut herself in, wanting some time and space away from everything to think. She avoided her phone for the most part, unable to and not wanting to reply to Momo’s message. She kept her mind on other things, binge watching shows on her laptop. The problems of the fictional characters on the screen distracted her from her own and made her feel less bad about herself. She had run out of food and after getting tired of ordering delivery, had resorted to opening the two boxes of cup noodles her father had given her as a housewarming gift. She sat at her desk for long stretches of time, wrapped in a blanket for warmth. It was unhealthy and she felt like all her energy had been sapped whenever she stood but it allowed her to continue functioning. She became paralysed when she thought about Momo or her decision and as she repeatedly told herself, she would figure something out given time.

~

Mina woke up with a sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter