One Last Run

Substitute Soulmate

¤¤¤¤¤

“You’re going to have to stay with Haneul again,” Namjoo spoke to Olly, “you’ll be a good boy and wait for me?”

Leaning away from her suitcase she rubbed her dog’s head. She and Sehun had talked, spent the past few weeks planning for their trip down to Busan. He wanted to introduce her to his parents. About half a year had passed since she’d met him. They had been careful with their relationship, taking things as slow as possible. Sometimes he slept over. Other times she slept at his place and they made love where Olly couldn’t watch. Before she knew it, the year was coming to an end. It had gotten much colder that when she and Sehun walked, they’d hold hands in his coat pocket. Soon, it’d be Yeol’s fourth death anniversary. She would let Sehun attend his memorial with her. She wanted to introduce Sehun to Yeol.

Namjoo turned when the doorbell rang. Sehun hadn’t said he’d be coming over, but then he was always full of surprises. Brushing her hands she stood. Olly trotted next to her.

It was Mina.

“Mina,” Namjoo breathed, “come in.”

Closing the door after Yeol’s sister, Namjoo went into the kitchen, “Do you want anything to drink?”

“I’m not staying long,” Mina coldly said.

The young girl didn’t want to meet her eyes. Maybe she was embarrassed or ashamed. Sehun had told her about Mina crying angrily. Perhaps, she hadn’t forgiven her yet. Being smitten with a man who loved another woman was always a difficult path to trek.

“Do you want to sit?” Namjoo tried.

Mina still refused to look at her. Was she that detestable? For some reason, Namjoo recalled the younger Mina always happy to see her, following her brother around, and happily standing beside her as one of her bridesmaids. So long ago when she’d met Park Chanyeol. Yet it always felt just like yesterday when she married him.

“I’m sorry,” Mina quietly apologized. “I was stupid.”

“That’s not it,” Namjoo said.

Mina shifted away, brows twining together. “It took me a long time to come here. So just know that I’m still upset.”

Namjoo opened to speak, but decided not to. Mina was just Mina after all. She needed to let it out in order to move on, grow some more as an independent woman.

“I know,” Mina continued, “that it was hard for you.” Finally looking at her, she asked, “You’re really happy now?”

Managing a smile, Namjoo nodded. “Yes, I’m happy.”

“Fine. Whatever.” Mina muttered. “I’m going.”

She was glad for them Namjoo knew. She was just embarrassed for acting the way she had. Mina who always had front row tickets to her meltdowns would still be there for her.

“Take care, Mina,” Namjoo called after her. When the door closed she felt a weight lifted off her shoulders. Tonight, she would sleep well. Tomorrow morning, she would depart to Busan with Sehun.

¤¤¤¤¤

“Prepared for this weekend trip?” Sehun asked closing his trunk.

“Yes, siree,” Namjoo chirpily saluted pulling her hat on.

She’d dropped Olly off at her friend’s that morning. Sehun was picking her up just now.

“You called your parents?”

“I told them I was bringing a friend,” he answered. “We should be there by nighttime.”

“Sounds good,” Namjoo commented opening the passenger door. Holding her hand as he started the engine they glanced shared a smile and finally departed.

The drive was long and exhausting. After a few rest stops Namjoo offered to drive to no avail. By nighttime they arrived at Sehun’s home. Namjoo obviously wouldn’t be spending the night there. It wouldn’t be respectful to bring a girl with him and have her stay. Sehun also knew that tradition wise, his parents wouldn’t like it. Namjoo had checked into a hotel earlier before their arrival. As the rocks crunched underneath the wheels, he wondered if she was as nervous as he was.

Namjoo had been through this step before. Did she know what to do? Or was it a different situation each time an introduction like this occurred?

He liked that she like him, would want to be flat out honest. He, too, wanted his parents to know right away about her background. He worried, though, if his mother would like Namjoo. Always preaching about being pure and having the best for him. Of all Sehun’s girlfriends his mother had only met one. She hadn’t liked her.

Switching the headlights off, Sehun veered to Namjoo. “Are you tired?”

“No, I’m ok.” 

He reached over to comb his hand through her soft hair. “It’ll be ok.”

“I know,” Namjoo nodded.

“Lets go.” They stepped out. He waited for her to come around and held her hand.

Lights were on signaling his parents’ wait for him. The guest he had spoken of was a stranger to them, but Sehun had made sure his father knew it was a female. He couldn’t be so sure that his father, a blunt man at heart, had passed the news onto his mother.

“Sehun!” his mother exclaimed happily when the door opened. Arms wide open, ready to envelope him into a hug she halted noticing Namjoo.

Her gaze dropped. “Who…”

Placing his hand at Namjoo’s back he led her in. “Is dad home?”

“Your father’s in the kitchen.” Giving Namjoo a wary look his mother backed away and then turned calling, “Honey! Our son’s home!” Back to them, “I…I wasn’t sure, so I didn’t prepare the guest room.”

“No, it’s fine. I’m not staying,” Namjoo intercepted.

Hand still at her back Sehun urged her to sit at the nearest seating arrangement. He sat beside her as his father walked into the room.

“You’re here?” his father asked then paused, like his mother, and stared at Namjoo. “Who…”

“Mom, dad, please sit first,” Sehun invited. His parents shared a glance but did as asked.

Hand still on her back assuringly, Sehun introduced, “Mom, dad, this is Kim Namjoo.”

“Oh…” his mother gasped.

His father blinked quietly. This time, it was Namjoo’s turn to introduce herself. By then, his mother seemed to have gathered some of her wits.

“Where are you from?”

“I grew up in Cheonju. My parents run a convenience store,” Namjoo said. “I live in Seoul now.”

“Do you work there?”

“We work at the same company.”

“Oh…” his mother exhaled.

“What school did you go to?” his mother was beginning her interview now. “And what did you study?”

Namjoo provided her answers directly without jumping around. Sehun could see his mother starting to relax. Namjoo was coming off too good. Her background, her education, her job, and skills impressed his mother. But that was all superficial.

“Actually,” Namjoo clasped her hands together, “I settled into Seoul when I got married.”

Obviously, his mother’s expression dropped.

“I was married,” Namjoo re-stated as if it hadn’t already been clear enough.

“What?” his mother air.

“Sehun,” his father steely ordered.

He firmly pressed his lips together, “Dad, listen…”

“No, no,” his mother shook her head in denial. “No, no, no. Are you saying you’re divorced?”

“No, it’s…it’s not like that,” Namjoo tried to clarify herself.

“Mom,” Sehun tried to cut in.

“No, this can’t be. I won’t approve. Just break up right now,” his mother stood.

“Mom, listen,” Sehun rose.

He hadn’t expected this. Maybe they hadn’t planned too well what they would say. Maybe he and Namjoo had been immature about this. God, he was so embarrassed and sorry toward Namjoo. One glance at her sitting quietly, unable to say anything was so flustering.

“What are you thinking?” his mother accused. “I only wanted you to have a good life and you what?! She isn't pure.”

His blood churned, boiling underneath his skin. A fume of smoke was starting to combust through him hotly. How could his mother say such a thing?!

“I’m sorry,” Namjoo apologized and yanked his arm knowing full well that he was about to start an argument in her stand. “Please stop. Lets go.”

Gritting his teeth upset, Sehun let Namjoo drag him outside. Once the door shut he pulled away.

“I can’t believe she said that about you and to your face.”

Side stepping a distance from her he stared off into the darkness. Exhaling, inhaling the weight in his chest away. When Namjoo didn’t approach he found her staring at him silently.

What was he getting angry for when she should be the one upset? They had come all the way here…for this. Stalking back toward her he grabbed her hand and led her to the car.

“Lets go sleep,” he said.

They spent the next day touring the city. Walking through the streets, exploring the local markets, and eating street food. Sehun would make the trip as worth it as he could. They were here together after all. The more time spent together, the merrier. Sehun took her to a theater he frequented when he was younger. Once they purchased tickets they found their seats and settled with popcorn and soda. A common life like this was fine with him. In the future if he could continue this so very simply, he wouldn’t have much to complain about. Work, return home, sleep with his loved one. What could be better than that? He looked forward to that boring kind of routine.

Overwhelmed by his own sense of contentment he leaned over to give Namjoo a peck on the cheek. The open possibility of marrying her in the future always excited him.

One day Namjoo could love him as much as he loved her now.

Late in the afternoon his father called.

“Do you want to go with me?” Pulling his socks on he waited for her to answer.

They had returned to the hotel after the phone call. They hadn’t touched the subject of last night. It felt safer to keep the worry at bay. Maybe take more time to digest what had happened and figure out how best to approach the topic again.

“It’s ok,” Namjoo convinced. “We shouldn’t rush. I don’t want to make you look bad.”

“You know that’s not it.”

Namjoo urged, “Go ahead.”

Leaning over to give her a kiss, “I’ll be back soon.”

Even though Namjoo didn’t express it, he was sure she was disappointed by what his mother had said. Now he really wanted their approval, because he cared about her. It was important to him that his parents felt the same way he did. He wanted them to like her for who she was, not what she had gone through that made her who she was.

Bitterly driving up to the house he parked the car. Remaining inside he pondered over how to best make his parents accept Namjoo. Would they have to just stubbornly make their way into his parents’ hearts?

The door opened. His father poked his head out. Well, he figured, there was no point hiding outside. Sehun stepped out, caught eyes with the elder man, then entered into the house. His mother was seated at the couch, her back slightly facing him as if to show him how upset she was.

“Sit down,” his father directed.

Settling into the single chair across from them Sehun waited for them to first speak.

“I told your mother about what you said.” His father began.

“What did I say?”

“The last time you were here, you mentioned marriage.” The elder reminded.

This time, his mother shifted, “How could you?! Marriage?! Look at you!”

“Oh that…” he uttered.

“Oh Sehun!” his mother scolded.

“Is she the one?” his father calmly pressed.

“Yes,” Sehun replied.

His mother sighed, deplored. Smacking the arm rest, “What is wrong with you?”

“Nothing is wrong with me!” Sehun argued.

“How could you bring someone like that home! Are you bewitched?”

“Mom!” Sehun cried out.

“Would you two stop it?! You’re not kids,” his father grumbled.

Heaving a sigh of frustration, Sehun looked elsewhere. Tousling his hair. Back to his mother. “I love her.”

“Sehun!” his mother shrieked.

“Mom! Please,” he begged.

“I’ll never accept it.” His mother stubbornly refused. “She’s divorced.”

“She…” he immediately attacked then paused, “not divorced.”

“What?” she gasped shocked.

“She’s not divorced.” Seriously calming now Sehun locked eyes with his mother. “Her husband passed away.”

“Oh…” breathing another gasp his mother held a hand to her chest. “Well…” pivoting to her husband for support.

“I really like her. I thought…you’d feel the same way,” Sehun said in a low voice.

After a moment his mother tackled the issue, “You want to marry her?”

“No…not yet,” Sehun pouted. “I’m waiting for the right time. She’s not ready yet.”

“How can she make you wait so long?” his mother jabbed.

“Mom,” Sehun frowned. The woman huffed. “Apologize to her. Ok?”

“Then,” his father spoke up, “bring her over tomorrow and lets talk again.”

“We’re leaving tomorrow,” Sehun told. “In the morning. We’ll come in the morning.”

Ecstatic, Sehun rushed back to the hotel. He imagined bursting into the room to drop the good news like a bomb, but Namjoo wasn’t there. Walking around he discovered the bathroom empty. He called her, but found her phone ringing on the table. If Namjoo was troubled about something, she should have let him know. Maybe he should have pushed her if it was regarding his parents.

Sighing he shuffled out. Sehun walked the block, jogged back and forth, crossed several blocks. Still no Namjoo.

What if she got lost? Where would she go? He glanced at his phone. No call. Would she know where to go? What if she met bad people and there was an accident?

His mind whirled with all awful possibilities. Catching his breath he stumbled over to the streetlights defeated. A crowd was starting to gather, waiting for the red lights to green.

The street was four-laned wide. Traffic blurred blocking the faces on the other side. Hands on hips distraught he searched right and left then set his eyes on the road ahead. A wide building held strong by blocks of rocks needled into the sky.

Sehun’s gaze traced over the people opposite him, but he couldn’t really see them until the cars lessened. Searching harder and a little more he thought he could see Namjoo. Jerking an arm up he waved for her attention. When she didn’t catch his signal he automatically shouted her name. Those crowding around curiously stared.

Then Namjoo finally noticed him. Smiling from ear to ear he gestured for her to wait, but Namjoo frowned unable to understand his gesture. Then the lights flashed green. Sehun dashed forward beating the crowd halfway. He snagged her arm, wheeled her around, pulling her along.

Safely reaching the sidewalk he interrogated, “Where did you go?”

Showing him a book she said, “There was a bookstore nearby. I was bored.”

“Geez,” he struggled to catch his breath, “I thought…” heaving another lungful, “you got depressed and went somewhere.”

Crookedly beaming, “You thought.” Gently smacking him on the head laughing. “How dramatic.”

Squeezing her into a hug till she yelped he withdrew. On the walk to the hotel he shared the good news.

Half a year later…

Originally, sometimes things don’t go as planned. Such as trying to grow a garden only to have a dog dig up the plants. Or getting parents to meet only to develop odds against each other. Nevertheless, Sehun and Namjoo were still going about their daily lives very normally.

Even after they got engaged.

After waiting the beginning of the new year out, Sehun, still too excited for his own good, popped the question about the future again. In the end, they talked for a long time. Not about marriage because that was too big of a leap. And Namjoo didn’t feel she knew him well enough.

Maybe they’d have heaps of new arguments around the corner, but they easily made up. Bonus points: Namjoo didn’t stay angry too long. Sehun believed he was the lucky one.

They still lived apart. Travelling from one apartment to the other. Namjoo had taken the next brief step giving him the spare key to her apartment. After a false pregnancy alarm his mother had sighed disappointed. Why was he so slow starting a family she chided over the phone. Of course, he didn’t share the conversation with Namjoo. By now, Sehun understood that she wasn’t the type who wished for children immediately after marriage. He’d wait if she wanted to wait.

Sometimes when they slept soundly after making love, he’d wake to watch her sleep basking in the glowing moonlight. Alone he’d reminisce when they first met. Confused Namjoo. Angry Namjoo. Timid Namjoo. Cowardly Namjoo. Depressed and constantly lonely.

Nowadays, she was always smiling. Kissing him, hugging him a lot more. He loved it even more when she grabbed his hand to pull him after her.

Yes, he could live like that.

He’d been with her when she took down the portrait of her and Yeol. For a long moment she had stared at the portrait longingly, her eyes holding the drops of memories she’d once shared with her beloved.

Kim Namjoo had taken big steps to get to where she stood today. With him. For him. Sehun loved and appreciated her for every moment of it.

From believing that she would never love again to discover love again. Kim Namjoo had been blessed with another lover, another chance. Someone was still out there for her. And Oh Sehun had found her.

He was so damn lucky.

Today marked their first month of being engaged. For a getaway, they drove to Gyeongpo beach. This time, Olly went along. Dragging their luggage into the room he walked over to the wall sized window. The ocean outside was lapping onto the shore energetically. Seagulls filled the sky while people filled the land below. Leaving their luggage inside they headed toward the beach hand in hand with Olly leading the way to the water.

“I’m telling you, we need to get him a friend,” Sehun said for probably the thousandth time.

“No, he doesn’t,” Namjoo replied.

He sighed. If Olly got a friend he’d stop following them around the room as they made out. He wouldn’t jump on him when he and Namjoo started making love on the couch. The distractions were heart aching.

“But…” he started, but Namjoo had left him and was chasing after Olly. Sehun sighed. If someday they had a kid it would just be another repeat of this.

“Hey!” he shouted dashing after her.

He didn’t mind. After all, he could live like this.


***THE END!!!

***Ok, to be very honest that was all I really had for this story. I just lagged cause it felt slow??? Even if I brought up more obstacles, the story would honestly drag and that would be a tiring read and a tiring write, so I decided not to go there. I hope it wasn't rushed because as I wrote it it didn't feel rushed in my opinion, but I apologize if it felt rushed and unnatural. Those were the last few bits to the story which I probably really didn't feel like writing, but I am glad I got those things out of my head. And wa-la! The ending does connect to the title. Another soulmate for Namjoo. What I just needed for this story was for them to fall in love and figure out things together as they did very slowly, tackling one problem together at a time. That was more realistic for me and I like how that turned out in writing. I couldn't figure out anything more descriptive for those moments, so I'm sorry for that. I like how Sehun spoke with Mina, not outrightly telling her she was childish. Though she acted on her emotions she didn't do anything horrible that couldn't be undone, so she could be forgiven for that. And Namjoo really needed to be told she could fall in love again, it was all she needed to hear from Yeol's mother. No holding back for our heroine. Sehun's chase for Namjoo took up majority of the story, but everything fell in line pretty quickly. As I said, it was all I had planned. They are adults so their parents weren't very nicky-picky, and I didn't need them to be for the story to progress. Thus, I feel I have finalized everything. Share your thoughts if you feel anything is missing. Not every story is perfect.

***Much thanks for cheering the story on. I am quite honored and happy that you felt the story still had potential though it was dying on me. I hope that by the time you finished this story, you weren't disappointed. I am, though, sastisfied with the ending. They didn't end up in marriage but at least they're engaged. I don't know much about grieving, but I know when people grieve they each move on at different paces. Married here again for Namjoo wouldn't sound natural in my opinion, so I rejected that idea. I appreciate you all so much. I'll cool down on HunJoo now before I cook up more ideas for them in the near future. Alas, I am debuting Yeol as a main. I'll probably work with KaiJoo again afterward. Now onto the next story: I Still Believe in Love! I shall see you all around, lovelies!

***And I'm sad because flickr or aff somehow ruins the quality of my posters :((( they look much better when I made them on CS5 :(((