I Swear I Had Better Friends

The Voices We've Never Heard (Chanbaek)

There is nobody in this world who hates his ing alarm clock more than Park Chanyeol. But when you're "privileged" like Chanyeol is, you don't need an alarm clock to wake you up. You have someone to do that for you.

Human alarm clock, Kim Jongdae, at your service.

"Wake the up you lazy peice of ." Yanking the pillow out from under Chanyeol's head, his best friend decided today's strategy was to deprive the Yoda of oxygen until he finally gave in. It didn't take long, either, because Chanyeol homemade pillow, apparently "made with love", was also made out of rough fabric and stuffed like a bean bag.

Very privileged, as I mentioned before. 

"Dude, I love you, but most of the time, I really don't." Chanyeol managed to breathe out after he finally gave in. Hey, you can let Kim Jongdae suffocate you, but when he starts pulling off your pink heart boxers, you know 's about to get real. "And by the way, I bet that's a form of ual harassment. I can report you, ya know."

"If I'm in jail, who's gonna be here to teach you basic math? Are you gonna call your sweet little Kyungsoo to come on over and help you learn 2+2?" Jongdae teased in a baby voice, pouting. Before Chanyeol could tackle him, he batted his eyelashes innocently and slammed the door in Chanyeol's face.

"Scratch that. I hate you, all of the time." Sighing as he walked up to his mirror, or more like half of his mirror (because the bottom half was covered with clothes and shoes and food and... is that pocky?), Chanyeol surprisingly discovered that he looked equally as ty as he did yesterday, and felt equally as unproductive. 

Ugh... better pretend to do something useful with my life so my mom actually thinks I'm worth more than the trash that I am. He thought to himself as he began cleaning up his room. Or what was once a room, turned into the "before" scene of a febreeze ad.

"Sweatshirt... jeans... old pillow... another sweatshirt... a hotdog... soap bar... wait, why is there a bra in here?" Chanyeol shrugged. Eh, what haven't I found in my room?

And... done. Chanyeol breathed in the fresh air of his window, which he never knew he had until now, and sighed contently as a blue bird flitted by and landed on a tree branch. He was proud of himself for finally clearing out his room, and doing so under 7 minutes. He opened a drawer and pulled out a faded yellow post it note with his only tiny pencil.

Note to self: Do not open the closet under any circumstances.

-----

"You finally decided to come outta there, huh?" Human alarm clock had made himself quite comfortable on their newly purchased couch, munching on some chips and watching a T.V. show. 

"Are you watching Bubble Guppies?" Chanyeol eyed his best friend, an amused look spreading across his face.

"It was the only thing that was on, okay?" Jongdae rolled his eyes defensively and threw a handful of potato chips in Chanyeol's face. 

"Mhm... whatever you say..." He pursed his lips and gave Jongdae a sly smile before walking off into their large shared kitchen. He's never gonna let that guy live this down.

"WHY DO WE HAVE NOTHING IN OUR FRIDGE?" Chanyeol yelled from the other side of the dorm room, his head peering into their small mini-fridge.

"SEHUN CAME OVER YESTERDAY WHEN YOU WERE AT CLASSES AND ATE ALL OF OUR LEFTOVER FOOD." Jongdae yelled back at Chanyeol, or more like Chanyeol's , which was sticking out of the refrigerator as he rummaged through their remaining items.

Oh Sehun, the guy who could make the straight guys gay and the gay girls straight. But Chanyeol really couldn't see what people liked about him; if you truly got to know the kid, he's straight up the most basic, whiny, y baby you'd ever meet. One good thing about him is his loyalty; he follows Luhan around like a personal slave 24/7. It bothers the deer boy sometimes, because Luhan didn't want to treat him like a slave, but I guess it's the least he should get for having to deal with the kid when he throws his tantrums.

"Jongdae? I'm gonna go out and buy us some more food, you wanna come?" Chanyeol leaned over the couch, towering over his best friend. "But I'm sure you'd rather stay here and watch Bubble Guppies, am I right?"

Jongdae sighed. "I'll come."

-----

"Potato Chip! How ya doin'?" Jongdae bounced up, slapping Yixing in the back.

", it's you."

"Love you too, Potato Chip."

"When are you guys gonna stop calling me Potato Chip?" Yixing asked, pushing up his glasses as he pretended to closely examine his textbook.

"But I just can't help it! You're name is Lay! Even better, you're just like a cute smol little potato chip..." Jongdae stopped briefly to pinch Yixing's cheeks, which the latter greatly dissaproved of and quickly slapped his hand away. 

"I'm older than you. LEARN. TO. RESPECT. YOUR. ELDERS." Yixing hissed in his face, saliva seething out of his teeth and all, before calmly returning to his textbook. "And plus, 'Lay', was just the nickname I used back when I was in my high school band. I thought it was cool at the time, but..." He peered over his glasses to give a disdainful look at Jongdae. "... I greatly regret that now."

"Why you lookin at me?" 

"Just get out."

"Can I stay? Please? Chanyeol's going out for groceries and I don't wanna go!" He wails as he plops himself down stubbornly onto Yixing's dusty floor and began thrashing around like Sehun when he throws one of his tantrums.

"No. No. No. I'm not going to babysit you, while your mommy goes out for errands, okay? Good day, and good bye." Picking Jongdae up by the collar, Yixing impatiently drags his boneless body across the floor and throws him out the room. Chanyeol gets a door slammed in his face, once again.

"You alive?"

"I should've stayed home." Jongdae pouts, crossing his legs as his hair flew in all directions due to the static electricity from Yixing's dark maroon carpet.

"And do what? Watch Bubble Guppies?"

Jongdae stood up and brushed himself off. "Yes, and watch Bubble Guppies."

-----

Chanyeol often found himself to be polar opposites with his best friend since elementary school, and today, was no different. Because today, said best friend had decided to spend all of Chanyeol's money on rather prodigal items, and Chanyeol, being a cheap guy (or as he liked to say, "frugal"), was not very happy with Jongdae's supposed "accomplishments".

"Why do you need a new electronic toothbrush? Since when did you actually brush your teeth?" Chanyeol huffed, trying his best to prevent the large bags from scraping against the concrete, because although the sound was not as unpleasant as fingernails on a chalkboard, it still made him quite uncomfortable.

"Just because I don't brush my teeth, does not mean I can't pretend to have proper hygiene." Jongdae replied cheerily and dumped the rest of the bags into Chanyeol's arms before skipping off. "Race you to the dorms! Whoever loses has to give me 20 dollars!"

"I swear, I had better friends than this..." Chanyeol grumbled, waddling behind Jongdae like a penguin.

And speaking of penguins, guess who just so happened to be standing at the entrance to the dorms, as Chanyeol arrived?

Do Kyungsoo; Chanyeol's major crush since elementary school. Small, quiet, shy, and just so adorable, it was a match made for any cheesy Asian romance drama. Of course there's the Chanyeol, who's smart, outgoing, optimistic, athletic, and quite attractive. But there's also just Chanyeol, who has derpy Dumbo ears, can't do math for his life, and as awkward as you'd expect a flumsy puberty-stricken teenager to be.  Chanyeol wanted so bad to tell Kyungsoo how much he liked him; how much he loved his chubby cheeks when he smiled, how much he loved how small he looked in those college bookstore sweatshirts, how much he loved those big, brown eyes and soft, dark hair.

It was love, this was love, Chanyeol was sure of it. Think about all the fairytales, he would say to himself. Think about the handsome princes saving the beautiful princesses; that's love... and I can do that too. Maybe

But honestly, he can't. He can't do that too. Because he's just Chanyeol, and no amount of mumbling to himself in the mirror is going to change that.

"Oh hey, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo smiled kindly at Chanyeol as he walked past, or more like waddled past. "Do you need some help?"

"Hm? Uh... no. I mean, maybe. I mean, if you want to that's okay but-" Despite Chanyeol's inaudible mumbling, Kyungsoo brushed past him and grabbed all of the bags in his left hand. "Here, I'll take half." 

"Thanks." Chanyeol said, and that was the last thing he said as they both awkwardly dragged the bags up the narrow stairwell. Halfway there, it seemed as if Kyungsoo couldn't take the awkward atmosphere anymore and decided it would be better to climb ahead. Seeing Kyungsoo walk faster, Chanyeol thought that he should too, and Kyungsoo not wanting to be rude and leave him too far behind, had to stand on the stairs and watch as Chanyeol respiratory system struggled to keep up with the pace. And so, it became a constant awkward loop, until they finally made it to Chanyeol's room.

"I'll leave the groceries here, okay?" Kyungsoo finally managed to break the silence and dropped all of Chanyeol's stuff down at the front door before heading back down the stairs.

"Darn it, I forgot to say thank you again..." Chanyeol mumbled as he banged his head against the door, hoping it would be loud enough for Jongdae to hear, seeing as he was too lazy to put the bags down.

"Someone owes me 20 dollars!" Jongdae sings as he dramatically flings the door open, causing Chanyeol to fall face first onto their dusty hardwood floor.

With his face still planted on the ground, Chanyeol sighed, then choked as dust entered his lungs. He got up slowly, leaving a nice imprint of his face on the layer of dust. 

The day was only half over, and Chanyeol hated it already.

But hey, at least there was Kyungsoo.

-----

 *loud sigh* Guys, this chapter is pretty boring, but I feel like I should introduce Chanyeol and Kyungsoo before Baekhyun and Kai come along... and Luhan and Sehun... honestly I told you I'm bad at this but I promise this is definitely the most boring chapter, and it will definitely be the shortest chapter... the rest are longer and more interesting. ;)