The Gardening Club - A Separate Afternoon

Simply, No

The Gardening Club

- A Separate Afternoon - 

Yewon was rather hesitant to take a step forward. She gulped, feeling a sense of dread and anxiety filling her body as stared at the door in front of her. She reached her hand out tentatively to the handle, but quickly snatched it back before it could burn her. To be honest, she just really didn’t want to step foot in the classroom because, well, she didn’t want to confront the person inside.

“Hey Umji.” Greeted the long-haired prince, sitting lazily at the desk before her. He gave a carefree bow as he stood. “It’s time, huh?”

She really didn’t like being called by her nickname from strangers. She held back a disapproving frown.

“Hello Hansol-sshi...Um…” She started with a bow, unsure if she wanted him to tell him to use her real name or not. The tall male hummed, grabbing his bag and putting it over his shoulder before meeting eyes with the small female before him.

It doesn’t matter I guess.

“Sticking to your duty in getting me huh?” He chuckled, giving a charming smile to the young girl.

“I’m just doing what the teacher asked me, so…” She trailed off, holding her hand tightly to her sides. She really didn’t know how reply properly to him. Hansol only gave a knowing laugh in return.

“Ah, right.”

Apparently, their homeroom teacher had been scolding the young male student on his lack of ambition and lack of credits. It was then decided that Hansol was to be put on day duty regarding one of the clubs in the school. It was lucky timing when Yewon had showed up to the teacher’s office, ready to turn in her club report for the day. It was then decided that since most of the members of the gardening club where too busy, and Yewon taking the brunt of the work, that Hansol was so attend and help her.

To basically babysit him for a good hour or two.

And every afternoon she was to get him to make sure he showed up on the daily records. Although, she honestly didn’t mind being alone for club activities.

I’d rather be alone.

“Let’s go, Hansol-sshi?”

He pouted, unhappy with the small girl’s rigid exterior towards him.

“You can call me Vernon you know?” He offered with a cute whine, pressing his hands together pleadingly. She simply gave a small smile and nod before turning around to leave. She walked rather briskly hoping that he wouldn’t catch up, as she didn’t really want to be seen together with him. However, his legs were obviously longer than her, so long strides where made to easily catch up to her side. The tall boy continued his once sided conversation, “Hansol-sshi is way too formal anyways.”

“….Sure.”

Kim Yewon is a normally sweet and talkative girl to her close friends, but to strangers, she was shy and mostly reclusive. Especially around boys. She had no idea how to talk or interact with them properly. She blamed it on her older brother, as his sis-complex had forced her to a small social bubble of mainly female friends and staying home because going out was too ‘dangerous’ back then.

“Ah, right here?”

Snapping out of her reverie, Yewon found that they were already at the shed at the end of the garden. On the side, a water hose lay curled up with a bright blue watering can beside it. There were unused bags of mulch and soil, and a small wagon that was used to transport them. She grabbed the hose, turning the faucet on to get it started. Hansol stood behind her, anxiously waiting for her to say something to him.

“What do we have to do?” He questioned, praying it wouldn’t be too much work.

“Um. Well, you’ll…be picking weeds.” Was her quiet reply.

There was a mild emphasis on the ‘you’ portion of that sentence. But she hoped he wouldn’t really notice.

“Oh, that’s not too ba- wait. Just me?!” Hansol cried, now just realizing what she was emphasizing. Yewon flinched, feeling a bit guilty, but she needed to do something else.

“A-um, I have to water the flowers.” She said softly, feeling nervous at his large eyes that were shocked of her betrayal. “…they need different amounts.” Which was true, and that was part of reason why the school had managed to cut costs on water consumption.

The teen before her could only moan in disappointment before giving a defeated “Okay…” in return.

He had no reason to refuse and if Umji said so, then he’d follow her orders without complaint. He didn’t want her to snitch on him to their teacher nor did he want to disappoint her.

“…There won’t be too many…” Yewon promised, feeling a little bit guilty. Weed picking was one of the more easier jobs for a beginner to do, and at the same time, he only had to do them in sections since it was an already well-maintained garden. Hansol nodded, a cute pout still maintained on his face as he bent down to survey the section of tulips before him.

“Okaaaayyy~” He whistled, mind now focused on enjoying the light breeze and avoiding the bees that flew near him.

“…Please….please don’t swipe at the bees, Hansol-sshi.”

“But they’re scary!!

“The-They help the flowers…They’re a dying community...”

“I could die Umji.

“Oh. Um. Are-are you allergic?”

“…No.”

Yewon took the time to turn on the hose and start on the Chrysanthemums nearby. She took a glance at the young male beside her, carefree and aloof to the world around him, yet so focused at pulling out the weeds that surrounded the sunshine yellow tulips.

I’m a bit jealous.

Someone like Chwe Hansol was the opposite of her. Fun, Social, and Carefree. Not to mention he was incredibly beautiful. Beautiful was a strange word to use for a boy, but it was true for him. Well sculpted cheeks and a strong jawline. Smooth and clear skin, with dark piercing eyes that twinkled with mischievous thoughts. Small yet elegant lips that grew huge and childlike when he smiled. And despite being so skinny, his body was lean, hinting that he worked out or at least played sports in his spare time.

He’s a work of art.

Kim Yewon wondered if she could ever be as beautiful as him.

Not just that.

She wondered if she could ever be as beautiful as the flowers before her.


 

Ⓒ Rhiean 2017

This is a work of fiction. It is an original story. Any similarity to another story is coincidental or unintentional

 


 

Hey, just a quick update to the side stories that involve some characters in the main stories. I might come back and fix it, but I really quickly wanted it to get out while it was still fresh in my mind. 

I wrote "Hold My Hand"  quite awhile ago, so the Vernon x Umji pair is fresh in my mind. Tbh, I don't know if I truly ship them. But they're damn cute and Umji is tied with Yuju to be Number 1 bias in my heart so...she deserves another fic lol.  Even if it's a side story. Expect it to be cute and full of fluff. There won't be any heartache in this small series whatsoever. 

Enjoy - Rhiean <3

P.S. Go and read "Hold My Hand" for me! (It's a prideful self-promote)