Will You Be There?

Will You Be There?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong sat in front of his laptop, working on the lyrics of his latest song. The singing component had been more or less settled. But Jiyong's eyebrows knitted over the rap part.

 

Loving you as always been my honour

I could never bring myself to hate you

All I wish, is for you to be happy

Deep down, I still want to be the one responsible for your happiness

But if that will only make you more unhappy

Then I must smile and let you go

 

Jiyong's fingers stopped moving over the keyboard. He got up from his seat to lie on his bed, staring up at the ceiling.

 

It's been five years, Dara. Five whole years. How have you been? Have you been happy? Have you been smiling? Have you been taking care of yourself? I no longer have any reason to ask you these questions. You've never been one to put yourself first. Remember not to tire yourself out. I know we're still friends. I just...

 

Jiyong stopped his train of thought and scoffed.

 

What right do I have to still entertain thoughts like this?

 

Without realising it, Jiyong's train of thought continued and eventually dragged him into slumber.

 

...

 

Jiyong's phone beeped the next morning. The notification made Jiyong stir in bed, making him reach out for his phone groggily. Jiyong opened one eye, took one glance and dropped his phone on his face.

 

From: Baby Girl

 

Jiyong scrambled to pick up his phone, suddenly completely awake.

 

Am I dreaming?

 

Jiyong opened the message hurriedly.

 

From: Baby Girl

 

Hi Jiyong.

 

Jiyong stared at the screen before replying.

 

Hi Dara.

 

This feels a little awkward, after not talking to you for so long. How've you been doing?

 

I've been doing fine, Dara. But I'm sure that's not what you texted me to ask.

 

Yeah. There's something I want to ask you.

 

Yeah sure, what is it?

 

Will you be free next month on the 21st?

 

I think so. I've got nothing scheduled then at the moment.

 

That's great.

 

What's up on that day?

 

Jiyong waited for a long while before Dara replied.

 

I'm getting married, Jiyong.

 

Jiyong stared at the screen, as the words on it sank in. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and opened them again.

 

That's great! Congrats!

 

Will you be there, Jiyong?

 

Of course! Wouldn't miss it for the world. You must be really busy now with the preparations for your big day.

 

Yeah, I am. Have you been busy?

 

I'm still into my music.

 

I know. Your labels are everywhere now. Congrats to you too, Jiyong.

 

Thanks. I'll see you on the 21st then. :)

 

See you, Jiyong. Thanks for agreeing to come. It means a lot to me.

 

:) Don't wear yourself out with the preparation. Take care and see you soon.

 

Jiyong put down his phone and lay on his bed for a few more minutes, as the news sank in. After a good fifteen minutes, he went to his laptop and opened the file that had his unfinished song on it. Without trying, the last few lines flowed out.

 

Loving you as always been my honour

I could never bring myself to hate you

All I wish, is for you to be happy

Deep down, I still want to be the one responsible for your happiness

But if that will only make you more unhappy

Then I must smile and let you go

But before you walk up and say the big "I do"

Know that there's a man behind loving you

 

As Jiyong typed the last word, a tear leaked out of his left eye. Putting his head on the table, Jiyong cried his eyes out.

 

...

 

Youngbae sat at the cafe waiting for Jiyong to arrive. They usually met on Saturdays to discuss their music and life and having known Jiyong for nearly fifteen years, the two best friends had nothing they couldn't talk about with each other. After waiting for ten minutes, Jiyong finally arrived.

 

"Over here!" called Youngbae.

 

Jiyong heard and walked over to sit next to Youngbae. Youngbae immediately noticed the vibe around Jiyong.

 

"What's wrong?" asked Youngbae.

 

"I think the time I've been waiting for is finally here," said Jiyong.

 

"What do you mean?" asked Youngbae.

 

Jiyong fished out his phone and opened his chat with Dara, before handing it over to Youngbae. Youngbae's eyes scanned the screen and his eyes widened.

 

"Ji..." began Youngbae.

 

"Don't worry, I'm fine. Not as if I wasn't expecting it anyway. I'm sure she'll invite you as well," replied Jiyong.

 

"You're really going to attend?" asked Youngbae.

 

"Of course. Why shouldn't I? It'll probably be the closure I need," replied Jiyong.

 

"Jiyong-ah..." began Youngbae.

 

"Don't bother consoling me. Look, it's been five years. I chose music and confessed to her too late. This is the price I'm paying and I'm well aware of it," said Jiyong flatly.

 

"Do you still want to talk music today?" asked Youngbae.

 

"I... I don't know," said Jiyong.

 

"Look, if Dara will invite me as you said, then I'll attend it as well. I don't think I feel safe with you attending her wedding alone," insisted Youngbae.

 

"Whatever. Look, I don't think I'm up to doing music today. I'll see you next week," said Jiyong, as he got up to leave.

 

...

 

"You look beautiful today, Dara-ah!" squealed Chaerin, as she and Bom huddled around her as she put the finishing touches to her makeup.

 

"Thanks so much for everything guys," replied Dara. "I really would have gone mad without all your help."

 

"D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter