Chapter 10

Time will tell
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

« Mr Byun ? »

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo suddenly looked up, startled by the voice coming from behind the door of the secretary’s office. The wedding planner cleared his throat and hesitantly said « Uh, yes ? »

« I didn’t mean to trouble you, but are you still busy ? Chanyeol will be there any minute now and I wanted to make sure meeting us wouldn’t be a bother in your packed schedule… »

For a moment, he seemed caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Baekhyun was tempted to give in and refuse this job offer. It would be so much easier to reject it – so much more simple than facing his ex. But at the same time, him returning to Seoul meant confronting his memories, as well as the uncertainty he hoped to escape from. He wanted a fresh start, so if he could leave his past behind and start anew for good, that would be the perfect opportunity, right ? As he reached for the doorknob, Baekhyun, a resolute expression on his handsome features, made eye contact with Kyungsoo. The latter had his arms crossed over his chest, and his friend could not miss the look of concern he sported. He articulated softly in the doe-eyed man’s direction « Don’t worry, I got this. »

The other only shook his head, unconvinced, while Baekhyun talked to Mabel. « Forgive me for making you wait. As my client, you have to be my absolute priority from now on and in the upcoming months we’ll be spending together planning your wedding. Let us proceed in my office, shall we ? »

Mabel Yuan couldn’t repress the smile crawling on her face. « Sure ! » she passed her arm under Baekhyun’s, chattering happily. « You’re so cool, Mr Byun ! Can I call you Baekhyun ? I’ve seen the pictures of all the ceremonies you’ve taken care of… you’re my idol, I’m a huge fan ! I heard you could literally make miracles. I can’t believe the famous Byun Baekhyun is going to help me realize my dream of marrying the love of my life. »

Humbly, he responded « I knew I was renowned in the industry, but not at this scale. »

« You’re known as ‘Mr Byun, the genius and mysterious wedding planner with the dashing looks of an idol who can make every bride’s wishes come true’. »

« That’s an exaggeration » he let out an awkward laugh, while attempting to remove the woman’s grip as gently as possible. « Kyungsoo ? Please let Mr Park in once he arrives. »

« Of course, Mr Byun, that goes without saying » the other replied, an apparent hint of irony in his tone. In return, he got scowled at by an annoyed Baekhyun, who was almost dragged to his own office mercilessly.

 

 

« So, tell me a little about your history. How did the two of you come across each other ? »

Mabel blushed, and her smile became so wide that even her dimples were showing.

« I knew he was the one when I first met Chanyeol. He was… intriguing. Handsome, clever, polite, yet cold. I first made his encounter during a script reading. We had to shoot that movie in China, I was the leading actress and him the leading man. He was a perfect partner, always caring, gentle. He was nice with the staff as well, always helping around whenever he had the possibility. He had a different aura from the others’ actors I’ve worked with. He looked like a mature actor despite his youthful appearance. And, oddly, his eyes perpetually had that longing and sorrowful feeling you couldn’t help but feel sorry for. However, every time the camera started rolling, he changed. He became someone else. I think I fell for him partially because of his acting. You can’t help but feel atracted to him when you see Chan doing what he does best. When the filming finished, we had many events ahead of us, like press conferences, stuff like that, you know. We then spent a lot of time together, and we eventually became friends. I wished for more, but I knew I shouldn’t get my hopes up. The project then came to an end, and we parted ways.

I’ve never heard about him since that time, and two years later, we bumped into each other at an awards ceremony we both attended to. Since that event, we tried to keep in touch. A few months later, I had to come to Korea for a new drama. It marked the beginning of our relationship. And only a year after that, Chanyeol proposed to me. With this dazzling ring, on top of Namsan tower. »

She stretched out her hand to Baekhyun, in order to let him take a better look at the diamond she was wearing. “The Classic Winston from Harry Winston, a sparkling engagement ring and celebrated jewel, features a round brilliant diamond center stone of 3.50 carats or so, given prominence by two pear-shaped side stones, and set on a platinum band. The delicate details of the refined design epitomize the timeless Winston legacy of unsurpassable craftsmanship” the highly skilled wedding planner observed.

“What do you think about it? It’s pretty, right?”

“Hmm… It definitely has Harry Winston’s signature style. A very good choice, for sure.”

“I feel so lucky to have Chanyeol.”

And it’s at this very moment the interested party chose to make his entrance.

“Is someone talking about me?”

The actor turned his head to his gorgeous fiancee, and reached out for her hand, as if they were the only ones in the room. “Hey you.” His tone was so adoring that Baekhyun felt really uneasy after hearing it. Those simple words seemed so intimate, as if he assisted to a discussion between lovers that he shouldn’t have heard. The wedding planner was used to witness these kind of awkward moments in his job, but it was the first time he litterally wanted to run away from a work-related meeting.

Then, Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun, and revealed a set of pearly white teeth. “Annyeo, Baekhyun. How have you been?”

Bewildered, the latter could only stare at the other’s face. Eventually, he got a grip of himself and managed to form an entire sentence without looking like a complete fool. “Hello, Mr Park. I’m well, thank you for caring. So, should we start planning, since the groom is here? Please take a seat.”

Baekhyun tried his best to compose himself a professionnal attitude, even though it was a highly difficult task when his ex-boyfriend’s eyes were on him. The actor appeared not to be aware of the effect he had on the petite man. In fact, the couple before him looked relaxed, almost serene. Chanyeol was holding onto Mabel’s hand, her delicate fingers in his, whereas Mabel, delighted, was glowing by her fiance’s side. « They are in love, like every couple who ever came into this office », Baekhyun realized. « Well-assorted as well. Mabel is young and beautiful, and Chanyeol is a successful actor himself. They definitely are visuals ; they dress well and, together, give off a classy yet mysterious impression. I can tell by looking at the two of them why they are so famous. »

Indeed, Chanyeol and Mabel looked like a match mad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter