One

The Light of the Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We sat in a meadow under the stars. A bridge between the different worlds that we came from.
"Why do some stars shine brighter than others?" I asked him.
"I was told that every person is linked to their own star and that if they were happy, the star would shine brighter and brighter," he smiled at me. "I always forget which star is mine but when I'm with you it's always the one shining the brightest."
My cheeks flushed red as he pulls me closer. "I love you Doyeon," he said. "You love me too right?"
I nodded and lay my head on his shoulder, wishing this could last forever. But I know it can't. Our meetings were never supposed to happen. There is nothing that can connect our two worlds.
I know that one day I will have to let go. But I want to hold onto him for as long as I can. For as long as he'd let me.

~~

"Doyeon bring tea to table 8!" My mother yelled for me. I quickly make the tea and deliver it to the customer at table 8.
Just as I finish, I feel a little poke to my leg. "Noona, I'm hungry," my little brother Hansol said. I bring him to the kitchen where I make him food. Mother can't do it became she's busy tending to the customers.
When I was done with that, it was time to bring my father his lunch and whatever he left behind that day.
Today's mystery item, a heavy sharp stone to be used for cutting the trees.
I start my long hike to the hills where my father does his job. He cuts firewood and brings it back to the town to sell. It was starting to get chilly so business is blooming which means I better hurry.
The walk was long but I've been doing it since I could begin lifting heavy objects. It was a daily routine.
My father and his friend, Lee ajusshi, usually cut in one area for a week. I almost reach my father's spot for cutting when I heard a twig crack behind me. I turn around to see no one. I quickly hurry so that I wouldn't have to encounter with whatever that was.
When I finally reach where my father was, I gave him the large stone and began preparing the lunch.
"Ah, my precious daughter, always looking after her father," he chuckles. He and Lee ajusshi keeps working while I prepare the food.
When I finished, I invited them to eat and waited so I could take back the containers.
"You're so lucky Sihyuk to have such a good daughter," Lee-ajusshi said. "If any of my sons were as good as she is, you wouldn't have to help me carry such a heavy load everyday."
"What can I see, she is my daughter," my father said jokingly but proud at the same time.
"Whatever, all I can see is her mother in her," Lee-ajusshi said which gave us all a good laugh.
After they were done I rushed back to the town, still slightly scared of whatever I saw on the way there. I had to make my brother dinner when I got back and clean the house while mother was still at the restaurant. Mother liked it clean but never had time for it.
When I finished cleaning, my brother tells me mother wants me at the restaurant I quickly rush there to help serve customers. Night time was when many palace men came to eat. Most were apart of the king's counsel and other higher servants. We rarely had nobles but that's mostly because most aren't supposed to leave the palace for leisure like this. We've only had a noble one time when a high ranking consort who used to live in the town demanded to be let out and eat here.
Turns out she was an old friend of my mother who was married to the king at an early age.
When I got to the restaurant, I quickly took orders. I finished three tables and when I reached the fourth I stumbled upon an unexpected visitor.
"Hello, I would like to have noodles, some water, and maybe your company on the side," familiar voice said. I looked up to be met face to face with him. My eyes enlarged and I quickly hope that my mother had not heard any of that but oh she did.
"Excuse me young man! How dare you speak to my daughter that way?" She rushes over. I try to stop her from continuing and embarrassing me even more but I knew it was useless. "She is a high quality bride that can get any man in this town. She doesn't have time to deal with measly flirts like you!"
He chuckles. "You're right ajumma, any man would be lucky to have her. Even the crown prince."
"That's right! Now don't bother my daughter again!" My mother pulls me into the the back where I was forced to stay and help peel vegetables until the last customer left.
"Mother why did you make such a big scene," I complained once we started heading back to the house."
"My daughter isn't someone that a little boy like that can just get up close with. You deserve a lot better!"
"Shh mother the other people will hear."
"So what? Let them hear! A parent only wants what'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter