Soon

Fatal Flaw

 

Have you ever met that one person that was just too perfect?  The kind of person that makes you wonder if they're real or not?  When you meet someone as perfect as that, there has to be a flaw... right?
 
That's what Choi Minho thought of the new kid in the school.  The boy was blonde and beautiful, and with his amount of beauty and radiant smiles, Minho couldn't even imagine him blending in with angels, much less a run-down high school with a bad repuation for having student drug dealers.  Minho couldn't believe that the kid was real - he simply couldn't.  There had to be a catch, one little thing that made him not-so-perfect.  Because Minho needed to figure out what it was before he went mad - and before he fell any deeper in love with the boy.
 
He chastised himself for that, however.  How could he genuinely love someone that he'd just set eyes on not five minutes ago?  Minho wasn't sure, and frankly, he wished he could stick his head in a meat grinder just to be rid of all the confusion because of that.
 
He sat in the seat in front of Minho in his first class.  Minho nearly had a heart attack when he found that out.  And finally, on the third day, he got up the courage to speak to him.
 
There were ten minutes before class began, so Minho leaned forward and tapped the blonde on the shoulder, putting on one of his most charismatic smiles.  "Annyeonghaseyo, Choi Minho imnida," he greeted the younger boy, who smiled back.
 
"Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Taemin imnida."  By God, his voice was perfect too.  Soft, smooth like honey, something Minho could listen to forever and never get tired of hearing.  "It's nice to meet you.  I've actually heard quite a bit about you...you're quite the hot topic in this school I suppose."
 
Minho almost melted at the soft, warm smile that Taemin - wonderful name, that - gave him.  He relished in the extra words the blonde said, almost forgetting to answer.  "Ah, nae, I suppose so, but really I prefer to stay out of the spotlight too much."
 
Taemin nodded, and Minho watched his hair bounce a little as he did.  "I understand that," the blonde said.  "I'm not too much of a people person, I'm normally pretty awkward around people I haven't talked to before." Taemin shrugged.  "But it can't be helped, really.  Not that it matters much."
 
With a smile, Minho responded, "You don't seem awkward to me."
 
"Perhaps," Taemin began, "It's because I find you particularly interesting...or something."
 
"Me? Interesting?"  With a light chuckle, Minho added, "Or something?"
 
"Very," Taemin responded, smiling angelically and nearly turning Minho into a puddle.
 
~~~
 
It has been six months since that fateful first meeting, and in those six months, things have happened quickly - some for better, and some for worse.
Minho was elated when Taemin made the effort to talk to him every day after their first conversation, and even more astounded when Taemin began to request to meet him after school.
 
It wasn't long before they became an object, after that.  It was a devoted, happy relationship.  They both came into it with open arms...and Minho left with scars on his heart.
 
Near the middle of the sixth month, Taemin started missing more days of school - most of them, in fact - and the days he did bother to show up, he was pale and tired, often falling asleep in his classes and being scolded by the teacher.  Minho found him becoming increasingly weaker as days passed by, but when Minho inquired about it, no matter how much he insisted that Taemin talk to him about what was going on, he always got the very same answer in the end.
 
"I'm fine, promise."
 
One day after school, Minho arrived home to find a message waiting for him on the answering machine.  Pressing play, he heard the words he never wanted to hear.
 
"Hello, I'm calling for a Mr. Choi Minho.  We're very sorry to inform you of this, but Lee Taemin had passed away.  We're very sorry for your loss."  She went on to talk about reasons, but Minho was too devastated to make out more than jumbled up mess of consonants and vowels.
 
~~~
 
A few days later, a funeral service was held.  Most of the school was there, crying and hollering and carrying on about a boy they'd never bothered to get to know simply because they could get out of going to classes if they came.  It bothered Minho to no end.  Taemin wouldn't have wanted all this fake emotion at his funeral.  Taemin hated fake people.
 
Minho sat through the service without crying. but just barely.  And when everyone went up to say their last goodbyes to his body, Minho made sure he was last in time so that he could take as long as he wanted.
 
Taemin was still perfect, even in death.  Peaceful.  Minho looked at the extravagant flower arrangements settled around his body and scoffed silently.  None of these people understood.  Taemin was simple.  Simple, yet beautiful and perfect.  Minho placed the thornless red rose beside Taemin's head.  One single rose.  Simple, yet beautiful and perfect.
 
His tears dripped down onto Taemin's white shirt.  He bent down, pressing one final, sweet, tragic kiss against Taemin's lips, and another on his forehead, touching his cheek softly.  Pulling back, he whispered to the lifeless body in the coffin.
 
"You promised everything was fine.  I'm going to hold you to that.  I'll see you in an hour or so, my love.  Wait for me."
 
Minho turned, knowing that everything certainly would be alright in an hour or so.  It made him smile, knowing that he could be with his Taemin.
 
Soon.