Final

The Untold Story

I’ve always got a story I will never tell—a story that sometimes keeps me up at night.

It makes me smile like a complete moron for a moment, then brings me close to the edge of tears the next moment. It drives me crazy sometimes I can’t stand it. These stupid love songs, they seem relatable nowadays.

Maybe, maybe it’s not like I don’t want to tell anyone. I will never tell—since I can’t.

I can’t bear the consequences.

 

I knock on her door twice, gently yet firmly.

“Who’s that?” her cheery voice replies from inside, and my belly does a stupid somersault.

“Me.”

I hear the shuffling of her steps and after the next blink, she opens the door with her trademark wide smile. That one smile is sure as hell contagious. Because I know, I am now, too, smiling.

“Byul-ah!” She engulfs me with a brief, gentle hug that I’d wish would’ve lasted a bit longer. She pulls back and I can see how she’s currently in her comfiest state she doesn’t usually show to public. Rounded clear glasses, oversized yellow sweater, short shorts, and cute bun hair.

Just, perfect.

“Come, come, sit,” she invites me in and I casually sit on her bed, like I usually do. “Wait a moment, okay? Just a moment, I promise.”

I nod quietly. My right palm slowly slips inside my hoodie pocket, checking whether the modest bar of chocolate I’ve just bought her at the minimart downstairs is still there.

Yup, still intact.

 

How’s your day?

“God, these assignments are just endless—it’s like the circle of devil. I mean, I’ve submitted the manual sketch last week and the tutor said he wouldn’t tutor me if I didn’t submit the digital design as well. And he only did this to me! He let the other students off so easily—but me? Blah.” She rolls her eyes and sighs exasperatedly.

Maybe he’s got high hopes on you—you’re that good, architect Yong.

“I’m getting tired of this, y’know.” She throws her head back, staring at the ceiling. ”But I won’t give up.”

That’s my Yongsun.  

“How about yours?” she asks, her tired eyes can’t hide her genuine smile.

So-so. I’ve got nothing much to do at the office today. Internship isn’t as scary as I thought, apparently. The seniors are kind too. One of them even apologized earlier since he didn’t know what task he could give me today.

She laughs.

“That’s—that’s great.”  

Hey, Yongsun?

She stays still, a genuine smile never leaves her pink lips and she sits comfortably on her favorite study chair. Her legs lifted up, hugged by her own slender arms. She looks so fluffy and lovely at the moment, I tell you. I want to hug her so bad.

 

Yongsun, you do know that I’m so glad to have you in my life, don’t you?

You may be childish and such a crybaby at times, but I’m so grateful of how you’ve taken care of me. You’re so special to me. In every possible way.

You’re sometimes annoying and so, so insecure that you’d be overly anxious out of nowhere. But let me tell you—you’re an amazing person. You’re beautiful. Inside out. And you can do so much better.

So please, don’t pretend to be okay when you’re not. Don’t ever cry while you’re drunk again. Don’t cry while saying that you hate yourself, that you are nothing compared to other girls.

You have no idea how it broke my heart.

You are something, Yongsun. No, scratch that.

You are everything. My everything. And I love you, so much.

 

She smiles shyly, her cheeks pinkish, her eyes on the white floor, her fingers playing with the hem of her sweater.

 

 

“.. I love you too. Happy Valentine’s Day, Eric.”

My heart skips a beat—maybe it drops to my stomach, my palm holds the bar of chocolate a bit tighter. I really hope it doesn’t break.

 

“Byul-ah,” she eventually looks at me as she puts down her phone. “Sorry for that. Eric just woke up and called. You know, time difference .”

I try my best to pull myself together and give a sincere smile.

“That’s—“ I clear my throat. “That’s okay, unnie.”

“Ah, happy Valentine’s Day, Moon Byulyi!” She chirps while handing me a bar of famous, cheap chocolate—the same I’ve bought her. She beams cheerfully and for a second, I think I want to cry and tell her everything.

But I can’t.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, Yongsun unnie.”

And so I hand her my chocolate that I’ve been holding for a while.

Hey, it doesn’t break.

My heart does.

 

 

 


*cross finger*

I know that this is a sudden comeback with short angst. But don't hate me. Krystal has just released a new song so may Byul's heart be mend.

I hope your Val's Day is memorable and delightful!

-melts-

:]