Chapter 5 – The Valley

The Longest Road

With the City far behind them, Daehyun had lost all track of time as he drove almost blindly onwards. His mind was only half focused on the task he had, the roads a little less wrecked and easier to navigate without the onset of hundreds of drivers who were tired, bored, panicked about getting to work or on a promise for something that they could not actually enjoy without something to help them along the way. That all felt like it was such a long time ago and even Daehyun sometimes wondered back to the days when they had all run around like headless chickens, trying to get good grades so that they could pass exams and then work in boring jobs and follow pointless TV shows and music that was really nothing short of just screeching. In one respect, the unleashing of the T-Virus had changed everyone’s perspective, whittled out the weak-willed, destroyed the corrupt and those who were not rightfully fit for this world to leave the ruthless survivors and a handful of good people around.

Sometimes Daehyun cursed himself for being a little on the morbid side with his thoughts but moments like before in the city were always ones that made him feel like he had somehow failed to be a big brother to Zelo. He was one of the few that was supposed to protect Zelo, to make sure that the youngster did not do what his strange powers did and he was a fool to have followed what he said and gone through the city. If it hadn’t been for Zelo then…

A hand landed safely on his shoulder, squeezing hard and tightly with an easily recognisable texture to it and Yongguk sighed, “I can hear you thinking, stop it.”

Daehyun glanced to look at the eldest, noticing just how drawn out and tired he was looking these days. His face was set in a grim expression and there was no longer the joy that used to radiate off him in ways. However, there was still a flash of light in his eyes, a grim determination to keep on going despite all of the obstacles in their way and that was one of the many reasons why Daehyun nodded his head slowly. “I know, I just…”

A glance into the rear-view mirror, after a quick flick down, confirmed that Jongup had Zelo gently secured in his lap though both of them had fallen asleep together whilst Youngjae carefully comforted Himchan who looked quite ready to murder someone. Flicking the mirror back up, Daehyun let out a sigh and then suddenly blinked as the headlights picked up a wooden sign to their left. “Harmony Hills Resort” was still legible even though it was half covered with vines and a sudden impulse made Daehyun indicate and turn off the main road. He felt the question immediately hanging in the air but shook his head, “Just…give me a minute.”

The road down through the trees was surprisingly clear though overgrown and whilst it was obvious that it was abandoned like virtually everywhere else there wasn’t a clinging smell of death, decay and rot. If anything, it appeared as if the place were more preserved than decaying and that could be something to do with the overgrown foliage. Yongguk glanced as they passed what had probably been the reception hut that was boarded up and without any power, feeling an ever so slight odd tingle down his back as if he knew this place. Daehyun certainly did as he drove without asking for directions even once and seemed to know exactly where he was heading.

“This isn’t the lake house, is it?” Youngjae asked, startling everyone out of their quiet little wonderment as they passed by what had been an amusement hall of some kind, “Surely it can’t still be…”

“Daehyun,” Himchan asked softly as he clambered forwards, over the seats so that he could speak a little easier, “Are you sure about this?”

“I just…I got a feeling,” Daehyun spoke, turning left and travelling a couple of hundred yards before the lights of a car picked out a large lakeside house that was miraculously still standing. It was a pretty typical affair, similar in design to several hundred that had been set up in this area before but with the addition of a two story balcony and an old tyre swing which clung off the trees. Without speaking a word, Himchan stepped out of the car first, along with Youngjae and accepted the weapons from Jongup who had automatically woken up when the car stopped before stepping towards the house.

The door was locked but Youngjae found the spare was still under the plant pot like their mother had always said it would be and the door opened into a dusty but very familiar open plan living, dining room and kitchen. There was next to no sign of their being any dead activity here in the slightest, excluding the fact that the place had barely been cleaned but they still searched the entire building from basement to attic just to be on the safe side. There were stores here, food in vacuum sealed tins and boxes filled with clothes, beds made with plastic sheet coverings and just a general sense of peace.

“Is it me or is this just a little freaking?” Youngjae asked, pausing to pick up a photograph which must have been taken the last time when they were all here as he could see both of his parents and all five of his brothers at much younger ages along with himself and the ugliest haircut going.

“I would say that,” Himchan’s voice was small but he handed Youngjae a letter with a calm expression, “Except someone was looking out for us.”

Youngjae stared at the letter in wonder, easily recognising his mother’s handwriting which made his heart break just a little. This must have been done in her final days, when she knew that there was no way for her to survive and the fact that she had wanted them to come here, back to this place where they would be safe was just enough to break his heart. He sighed and looked up at Himchan, “I told Yongguk to pick up the post that day.”

“He wouldn’t have, even if we had all told him to,” Himchan sighed and glanced around, “I’d never thought that we’d still have this.”

“Yeah, with enough supplies to keep us going for a few months. Come on, let’s get the others settled into bed, we can sort this all out in the morning,” Youngjae said, heading back down the stairs to give the all clear sign only to yelp when he found Yongguk outside of the front door with a half asleep Zelo in his arms.

A momentary grin crossed Yongguk’s face, “What? Did you think I was a ghost or something?”

“No,” Youngjae glared towards his eldest brother whilst stepping aside, “Just wondering why you didn’t send the search party sooner.”

“Was having my ear yanked off by this little brat,” Yongguk said, hitching Zelo just a little bit higher, “He told me about the letter. Guess Mom really did always plan for the future.”

“I hope my bed is as comfortable as I remember it,” Jongup said, pushing past the others to race up the stairs, “And that the old generators working because HOT WATER!”

“Yah! Brat! Come back here,” Daehyun called, chasing Jongup up the stairs, “If there’s any hot water to be had here I’m getting it first.”

For a second the three awake brother’s downstairs stared at one another in shock before breaking out into a small round of laughter. Himchan went to secure the car in the garage whilst Youngjae headed down into the basement to see if indeed the generator was working and if there were enough black out curtains to cover the large windows. Plus, they would probably need to get the power working as well and he was the best at that sort of thing. It was still something of a mystery as to why the place was apparently Walker free but for now they would all take it as a blessing of small mercy.

Yongguk shook his head and looked down at Zelo before carefully heading up the stairs to what had been the youngster’s bedroom. A faint smile captured his lips when he found that there an old fashioned wooden name plague still there that said Junhong on it and even with the size of the boy now, getting the door open was little hassle. The room beyond was fairly small, as all of the boy’s rooms had been in order to fit six of them in the house, and it consisted of a single, wooden framed bed with a series of shelves stacked up around the far wall and a chest of drawers. A few simple knickknacks, dust covered books and some toys from when Zelo had been young still lingered around and memories washed over Yongguk in a second.

Pushing them aside for now, carefully the eldest set the youngest down onto the floor whilst he pulled the plastic covering off the bed to be greeted with the sweet smell of lavender that came from the small little packets that his mother had placed there oh so long ago. Taking a shuddering breath, to hold back the tears, Yongguk carefully pulled back the covered, picked up his youngest brother and tucked him in, even adding an old teddy to the mix after giving it a good dusting. Smiling as he finished tucking the boy in, Yongguk carefully his hands through the boy’s hair and sighed, “You were trying to lead us here, weren’t you?”

There was no response of course and Yongguk leant forward to place a kiss on Zelo’s forehead before pulling back, “Just promise me that you won’t go anywhere, Zelo, none of us want to lose you.”

Taking a moment or two to just watch the other sleeping, Yongguk stood up and headed out of the room, closing the door with a soft click and finding an easy smile on his features. Which was startled off his face two seconds later by the sudden flash of the polaroid camera which was being operated by Jongup who took off running as fast as he could. Yongguk thought the better of not chasing after the youngster for all of two seconds before hurrying to catch him but the picture had already been passed on and Youngjae just laughed at the pairs antics from where he was situated on the couch with an old photo album in his hands.

Himchan watched from the kitchen, amazed at just how quickly normality could settle into people who had been living a very long and dark life for the past two years. He blinked, turning his head as he heard the kettle finish boiling and went to make some proper tea, though his mind couldn’t quite let go of the lingering thought of just how long this was all going to last. Paradise was only fleeting after all and he hoped that this joyful little place wouldn’t become somewhere where tears would be shed.    

 

authors babbling:Hi guys and gals! I'm finally back as I've had a really busy month in April where I could barely get nothing done because of work, big but really cool conventions and then just ultimate hell for a fortnight that resulted in me wrongfully blowing up at people who really did not deserve it in the slightest. That being said, I'm still sort of working out how to get my writing routine sorted as I've had some major changes which I knew were coming but did not really prepare for like a total twit that I am. However I will be sorting myself out and hopefully getting caught back up soon. So this chapter is a bit foreshadowing of some things and i've actually been sensible and planned out the rest and yeah, prepare yourself for tissues. 

Hope this was worth the wait and catch you all again