Final

You're gay, aren't you ?

"The Taste Lounge" was my new home, a restaurant where I had started working about two weeks ago that already made me feel comfortable. My colleagues were nice and polite, they would help me out whenever I had a problem. The atmosphere between everyone was so friendly.

          The workplace was amazing. It had been designed by an architect. Every piece of furniture was modern and the dominant colors were my favorites : blue and yellow. It was such a lively restaurant, with a professional and kind staff, as well as two chefs whose skills were incredible.

          I worked as a waitress. It wasn't my first job. During my college years, I had had part-time jobs at several restaurants in order to maintain my finances. My dream was to become a chef, however, I hadn't been able to complete my studies yet. For the time being, I enjoyed being close to the lounge's cooks and examine the way they produced various dishes.

 

"____ ! ____~"

 

          I was just done changing when one of my coworkers stepped into the ladies' room. The service had reached its end but it seemed that I wouldn't be able to go back home anytime soon. Mina pouted while walking towards me.

 

"Is there something wrong ?" I asked.

"Tae Hyung can't find his car key. Have you seen it ?"

"No, I'm sorry."

"Everybody's looking for it but it's nowhere to be found."

"Just give me a minute and I'll help you."

"Thank you ____, you're an angel !" Mina smiled widely.

"You're welcome Unni."

 

          I fixed my hair before leaving the changing room, only to find out that everyone was standing in the middle of the dining hall. Jin Hee, Tae Hyung and Ki Bum were holding a banner which read 'Welcome to our family, ____'. My past colleagues had never prepared such an event for me. And I had to admit that it felt nice to be welcomed like this. I thanked them with teary eyes and Mina hugged me tight. Jin Hee also embraced us.

          When they released me, I realized that the restaurant had been transformed into a party hall. I couldn't believe that they had decorated the place so quickly. I had just taken some time to shower and get changed. There were balloons of my favorite colors everywhere, one of the tables was covered with food and Ki Bum even opened a bottle of champagne.

 

          We toasted and, only then, did I realize that two people were missing. The sous-chef and the head chef had left already. I couldn't help but ask about them. Jin Hee and Mina looked at me at the same time, with the very same facial expression : they looked surprised.

 

"Don't tell me..." Jin Hee started, "____... no... no, you can't !"

 

          She looked so sad that I didn't know what to say. Moreover, Mina was shaking her head disapprovingly. I wondered if I had said or done anything wrong. Even the guys looked concerned.

 

"Who is the one you like ?"

"What ?" I gasped.

"Is it the chef or the sous-chef ?" Jin Hee asked again.

"No-no one !"

"You don't have to hide your feelings." Mina said while holding my hand, "I had fallen for our chef when I had started here. And just look at me now, I've completely forgotten about him !"

"That's right. You don't have to be shy." Jin Hee added.

"Look, ____." Tae Hyung said, "you're a very beautiful woman but neither of them will ever be attracted to you."

"W-why ?" I stuttered.

"Well, those two... the chef and the sous-chef... they..."

"They're gay." Ki Bum announced, "they're in love with each other."

 

          I would have fallen down if there hadn't been a chair nearby. I needed to sit after hearing this cruel truth. He was the one who made me want to come to work. He was the one who had employed me, the one who had introduced me to the other workers, the one for whom I had grown feelings. However, he, the sous-chef, my lovely Min Yoon Gi, was in a relationship with a man.

 

"I'm so sorry, ____." Jin Hee kneeled in front of me.

"I am too." Mina said.

"She had to know the truth anyway." Ki Bum shrugged, "____, you'll forget about him soon. Don't worry."

 

          A simple nod was my answer. I was too shocked to even say a word. I could only recall the first time I had met Yoon Gi and the way he had smiled at me. During my first day of work, he had been by my side, always cheerful and sweet. I had wondered if he was interested in me. Little did I know, I had been lying to myself. The sous-chef wasn't attracted to me, he wasn't in love with me... because he had someone else.

 

. . .

 

          When I woke up the next day, I promised myself that I wouldn't stare at Yoon Gi again. I told myself that it was better to just focus on work. I felt courageous and resolute. Yet, my courage melted away when I saw his face. He looked so cute and handsome. How could I look away from him ?

          I was alone at the restaurant with Yoon Gi and his boyfriend. As usual, the latter was in his private office. I had been alone with Yoon Gi several times before. However, today didn't feel like the other days because I knew about his preference for the masculine gender. I couldn't be comfortable around him.

 

"So, what do you think about it ?"

 

          A shiver ran down my spine when he put his hand on my shoulder. I had been spacing out for the last minutes. Also, I didn't know how to answer his question.

 

"____ ? Are you fine ?"

"Yes ! Of course !"

"Are you sure ?"

 

          My heart skipped a beat as he suddenly touched my face. I was forced to look into his eyes as he held my chin. He seemed to be analyzing the emotions on my face and I was moved by his worried look.

 

"You're so pale..." he whispered, "you probably shouldn't work today."

 

          I was about to reply, but Seok Jin walked into the room causing Yoon Gi to release me. The chef gave him a questioning look and my crush responded with a smile. It was the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. I felt like being a third wheel. I was there instead of leaving the lovers alone. I excused myself, even though they didn't seem to listen to my apology, and left for the changing room.

 

          We didn't have many customers at the beginning of the service. Jin Hee and Mina had decided to stick to me. They were worried and sorry for what had happened the day before. But I had no resentment towards them. It was the contrary, I was thankful now that I could see Yoon Gi and Seok Jin's love with my own eyes.

          I noticed the way they looked at one another for the first time, their tender gazes. They were together all the time. They worked beside one another in the kitchen. When one needed something, he would ask the other instead of the other cooks. And when they talked to each other, they used informal language. Not to mention all the sweet words and protective gestures.

 

          I smiled at everyone, be it customers or coworkers, although my heart was in pain. I forgot about my unhappiness when a woman entered the restaurant. She walked straight to the kitchen as if she had some authority in this place. I followed her while trying to forbid her entrance in the workplace. Yet, she didn't mind. I stood up straight, an hand on my chest, as Seok Jin and Yoon Gi faced the mysterious woman.

 

"So Hyun ?" Yoon Gi spoke first, "what are you doing here ?"

"I need to tell you something."

"So-so-so Hyun !" Seok Jin stuttered.

"Oppa, I've been waiting for a month already and I'm getting tired. We should tell Yoon Gi the truth."

"What are you talking about ?"

"Yoon Gi Oppa, I'm sorry for what I'm going to say because Seok Jin really appreciates you. The truth is... Seok Jin and I... we have been dating for a while."

"What ?"

 

          Tears threatened to roll down my cheeks at the sight of Yoon Gi's face. He looked disappointed and I could feel his misery. His boyfriend had cheated on him, with a woman.

 

"Yoon Gi... I..."

"How could you do this to me ?" he cut Seok Jin off.

"I wanted to tell you about it. I just... I didn't know how to bring it up."

"You betrayed me !"

"Yoon Gi Oppa, you don't have to be angry."

"I'm not talking to you !" he shouted, "Hyung... I don't understand... I thought I was important to you."

"You are, Yoon Gi, you're the most important person in my life. That's why I hope you can forgive me. Feelings just can't be controlled, you know."

"Out of all people, why have you chosen her ?"

"I'm in love and I can't help it." Seok Jin argued.

 

          A long silence followed this statement. All I could hear was the beating of my heart. Until Yoon Gi spoke.

 

"I think I need to go out for a moment."

 

         Seok Jin simply let him go. Jin Hee and Tae Hyung, who had witnessed the whole scene, stared at me as my crush left the kitchen. I bowed to the chef and quickly followed him outside.

          He walked aimlessly for a long time and I followed him, watching him from afar. At a point, he sat on a bench and held his head with his hands. He looked so pitiful that it broke my heart. I walked closer, slowly, before finally sitting next to him. I tapped on his back softly as an attempt to comfort him.

 

"I know how you feel." I confessed.

 

          Yoon Gi looked up with a weak smile. I smiled too while tapping on his back.

 

"You know how I feel ?"

 

          I took a deep breath before revealing my sad story. My last love had ended because of the same reasons. My boyfriend had been cheating on me with my best friend. When I had found out about it, I had exploded. He had pinned the failure of our relationship on me : I hadn't been caring enough. He had been tempted by another woman because of my lack of warmth and romance.

 

"Aw... he's an !"

"We... weren't meant to be."

"How can you be so kind ?"

"I'm not." I giggled, "actually, I wish he'll never find his soul mate. It would piss me off to know he has an happy relationship."

"I guess you need comfort too."

 

          With these words, Yoon Gi sat up and brought my head to his shoulder. I had to blink a few times as I wondered if it was a dream. His left arm encircled my waist and he used his right hand to caress my hair. He held onto me tightly and whispered.

 

"I'm sorry for what he did to you, ____."

"And I'm sorry for what the chef did."

 

. . .

 

          The following days were awkward. Our sous-chef wasn't close to Seok Jin anymore, he must have been really angry after his lover's betrayal. They didn't use the same car to come to work. They were no longer next to each other in the kitchen. They didn't talk much, and when they did, Yoon Gi used formal speech. The tension between the two of them made everyone uneasy. And I had become the target of the chef's hatred.

          In fact, Yoon Gi had become a good friend of mine, he had even asked me to call him "Oppa". He had invited me out several times. At work, he would be close to me and ready to help me anytime. My coworkers and I were surprised. We didn't know how to interpret his behavior. Although he was nice to everyone, he had never been as kind as he was to me. Jin Hee and Mina wondered if Yoon Gi wanted to pursue me while Ki Bum was convinced that he was heartbroken, and thus, sought comfort. For my part, I had fallen deeper in love with him.

 

          We had talked a lot and I had told him about my dream of becoming a chef. Afterwards, he had started tutoring me for free. We would stay at the restaurant after work to cook different kind of dishes. After our first lesson, he had decorated one of the tables with candles and petals and we had shared a dinner in this romantic atmosphere.

 

          Our service had ended and the girls were waiting for me outside. We were supposed to go for drinks as they wanted to know more about the relationship between Yoon Gi and I. However, our plan for the evening was cut short when the sous-chef parked in front of us. He got out of his car and I felt myself blushing as he walked to me. He gave a kiss to my right hand in front of our coworkers and Seok Jin, then, he asked me to come with him. No words left my mouth as I was too shocked to speak. I didn't know if it was a good idea. Yoon Gi looked at me while waiting patiently, his smile was so beautiful that I was drawn to his lips. I loved him more and more. But he was gay, wasn't he ?

 

"I'm going for a drink." I said.

"Jin Hee, Mina, can I have ____ to myself tonight ? You'll go for drinks some other time, alright ?"

"Of course !" Mina exclaimed, "we're leaving now. Have fun, ____ !"

"Have a good evening !" Jin Hee winked at me.

 

          Everyone left, except for Seok Jin.

 

"Yoon Gi, we need to talk."

"I'm busy right now."

"Why are you like this ? Haven't you forgiven me ?"

"We'll talk about it later."

"No, I don't want to wait." Seok Jin replied, "you have ____ now, don't you ? Why can't you forgive me ?"

 

          Those words resonated in my mind. How stupid of me ! I had been thinking that Yoon Gi was truthful to me, maybe was he genuinely sweet to me. But he only wanted to get his boyfriend back.

 

"Hyung, I have to go."

"Hyung ?" Seok Jin looked as surprised as I was.

"We'll talk later."

"Fine. Go now."

 

          The two of them were smiling, their eyes were filled with love again and I was completely lost. Yoon Gi had called him "Hyung", he wasn't mad anymore and Seok Jin was smiling because he knew that he was forgiven. If my assumptions were true, why was Yoon Gi opening the car door for me ? Why did he want to take me somewhere ?

          I settled in the comfortable car seat without a look to Yoon Gi.

 

. . .

 

          We had been in the car for a few minutes but none of us had said a word. The vigorous conversation I had with myself contrasted with the deep silence between Yoon Gi and I. My brain was trying to find the right answer to all of my questions. I wanted to know what Yoon Gi had in mind and there was only one way to find it out.

 

"Have you forgiven him ?"

"Seok Jin Hyung ?" he asked, "I've forgiven him long ago !"

"And... what will you do ?"

"There's nothing much to do. If So Hyun makes him happy, I have no right to be against their love."

"Aren't you hurt ?"

"I was." he nodded, "I mean, my best friend is dating my former girlfriend. How can I not be offended ?"

"Your... your... what ?"

"So Hyun is my ex. Haven't I told you about it ?"

 

          I was speechless as I pictured what had happened on that day. The woman had walked into the restaurant, to the kitchen. I remembered Yoon Gi's face when he had seen her. However, his reaction had another meaning now. He hadn't been angry at his lover, but... at his friend. Seok Jin hadn't cheated on him because they had never been a couple. And I didn't have to suppress my feelings because... Yoon Gi wasn't gay.

 

"I-I ne-need so-me air." I muttered.

 

          I opened the car door as soon as he parked to the side of the road. Yoon Gi rushed to me with a worried look on his face, he cupped my cheeks and looked deep into my eyes.

 

"____, what's wrong ?"

"I..."

"Are you sick ? Are you hurt ?"

"No... it's just..." I paused before saying, "you were so nice to me ! You welcomed me so kindly and taught me everything at work. You were a gentleman and I... I had a crush on you." I blushed as I lost control over my words, "But then, there was this welcome party and they said... they said I wouldn't be with you. I tried to forget about you, not to fall for you, but I... failed."

"____, what are you talking about ?"

"Min Yoon Gi, you're gay, aren't you ?"

"Gay ? You think I'm gay ?"

"They said so."

"They ?" he asked.

"Jin Hee, Tae Hyung, Ki Bum and Mina. They said you loved the chef."

 

          My muscles were tensed as I waited for his reaction. I thought that he would be mad at us for spreading gossip about him. Especially when it wasn't the truth. But he didn't move for a moment. His hands hadn't left my cheeks and he was still looking into my eyes. Finally, he spoke again.

 

"I'm not gay."

 

          He leaned closer until his lips met my forehead.

 

"How could you think I was gay when I tried so hard to get your attention ?"

 

          A shiver ran down my spine as I stared at him. Was it a confession ? The look on his face was different from the one I had witnessed before. They way he looked at me now was intense but his gaze was tender as if he was vulnerable. This was a real look of love. It had nothing to do with the way he looked at Seok Jin.

 

"You're not gay."

 

          I felt a little stupid after all these events. I had been mistaken so easily. I thought of my friends suddenly, they assumed that the chef and the sous-chef were in a love relationship and I wanted to tell them the truth. Their reaction would be so funny.

          I was giddy with delight when his lips touched my nose. His hands had moved down to my neck as he was holding me close. He rubbed his nose against mine softly.

 

"Would I have fallen in love with you if I were gay ?"

"I'm in love with you too."

"____, will you be my girlfriend ?"

"Yes !" I giggled, "of course I will."

"I wonder what your friends will say."

"They won't believe it !"

"Hyung won't believe it too !"

"When you talked to him earlier, I thought you wanted to be with him again. I felt horrible..."

"It was just a misunderstanding." he smiled, "You're the one I love !"

"I love you too."

 

          I closed my eyes when his lips aimed for my right cheek. He gave a kiss to my other cheek while pressing his body against mine. Then, slowly, his lips found mine for our first love kiss.