1/1

Verbena
Please log in to read the full chapter

Was he imagining things? He was no skeptic, but to see an actual fairy seemed like a complete illusion. Especially such a cute and pretty one.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol sat in his living room, wondering if what he had seen was real. He hadn't been able to find inspiration for his artworks ever since his grandmother had passed away about four months ago and ever since then, he had been trying to find a place where he could draw out some inspiration.

Going on drives and searching all over the city and even further, spending hours and nearly whole days out and about. It was helping him bit by bit. He was slowly building something that resembled a background onto a canvas.

But it just wasn't enough.

So, needing a change of air, Chanyeol hand wandered further into a forest on the outskirts of town, one that seemed to be thriving despite the suburbs that weren't too far away. He had to admit though, there was something that was different about the air from a certain point in the forest. Something that was connected to the fairy boy whom he had seen.

His hair was a beatiful silver-grey, and the large butterfly-like wings on his back were a transparent dark purple. He hadn't been able to see much more than that and a bright smile on the fairy's face before his presence was noticed and the fairy boy shrunk and flew away.

For once he wanted to do something again, and that was to meet the fairy boy properly - if he was even real to begin with.

 

 

 

 

It had been a couple of days since he had been to that forest and Chanyeol couldn't hold back his curiosity any longer. He had to go and see that fairy boy again. He didn't know if he should bring some kind of offering and decided that he would rather not embarrass himself by bringing some dull flowers or fruits. He just tried to dress somewhat decently and ventured out into the forest.

He didn't realise how much of a trek it was into the forest before he reached that same area. He could tell it was the same area even though most of the trees and plants looked the same.

Looking around, he couldn't tell if there was anyone else there, but he felt as though he was being watched.

After at least another ten minutes, he decided that the fairy boy wouldn't show up that day. "I'm sorry if I scared you away last time. I didn't mean to. I truly do promise that I won't hurt you if you do come out. It was really amazing to see that time." He knew his words were for the fairy boy, and although he didn't even know if anyone had listened to him, he said it anyway.

He turned back around to go back to his car and head back home, not knowing that a tiny purple ball of light was following him.

 

 

 

 

When he got home, Chanyeol headed straight for the bathroom and had a shower to wash himself off for the day.

 

 

 

 

He hummed softly as he came back out, clad in a towel around his waist and another in his hands as he dried his hair, but just as he turned into his room, he bumped into someone, successfully falling over onto his back with the other falling on top of him.

Chanyeol groaned softly as he opened his eyes and looked up to see a pair of purple eyes staring right back at him.

 

 

 

 

There were two screams heard.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol had pulled on a pair of sweats and a tank top and had the fairy boy sitting on his couch.

"So, you are real after all," he stated, although he still didn't sound all too convinced of his own words.

"Yeah, I am. I just... I heard what you said earlier and followed you home. I didn't mean to scare you or bump into you or anything," the boy said sheepishly.

"No, don't apologise... Just, let's start over, I'm Chanyeol," he said, reaching out in front of him for a handshake.

The boy took it and smiled brightly, "I'm Baekhyun. Nice to meet you," he smiled, his wings fluttered slightly and that's when Chanyeol was reminded of the fact that the fairy boy, Baekhyun, was exactly that - a fairy.

Chanyeol took a deep breath and smiled to the other, taking a moment to admire the silver-grey hair, purple eyes and wings, amazed that the other was even real, "I can't believe that you're real though..." he mumbled.

Baekhyun giggled softly at that and smiled, "You know, even though it's really thinned out, you have magic blood in you," he stated.

The taller blinked a few times and took a seat opposite the fairy, looking right at him. "What do you mean?"

The fairy boy giggled once more and smiled, "I can sense elven blood in you, but it's barely there. It's probably how you were able to see me," he explained. "Normal humans can't pass through the glamour us magic-folk have placed around our home, but those who have even a bit of magic blood can pass through and can see us," he explained. Baekhyun could see that the other was surprised and waved a hand dismissively, "But don't worry too much about it~ It's not really anything that you need to be worried about."

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol definitely did not think that he would have ever been told such a thing in his life.

 

 

 

 

Later that evening, Chanyeol decided that he would make something a little healthier for both himself and for Baekhyun. He had been a bit lazy with cooking as of recently, so having a guest over was probably the best for Chanyeol. "You can look around, just don't break anything please," he had said before he began getting dinner ready.

The fairy boy wandered about the house and stumbled upon the photos in the living room. He widened his eyes and grabbed the frame and went over to the kitchen, "Chanyeol, who is this?" he asked, pointing to an older lady who was standing beside Chanyeol who was a little younger but still very tall.

"Hm?" Chanyeol hummed as he turned around. He blinked a few times, "Oh, that was my grandmother," he answered, smiling slightly. "She passed away a few months ago," he explained.

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that... but you know, I knew her... when she was much younger," the fairy boy stated.

Chanyeol stopped slicing the cucumber and turned to the fairy, "W-what?"

"Yeah, it must be from her side of the family that your elven blood comes from," smiled Baekhyun. "She had more elven blood in her and she knew about her lineage," he explained, "She was a lovely woman." The fairy boy smiled at the memories and looked up, only to gasp in shock when he saw tears in the other's eyes. "H-hey, I'm sorry, did I say something to upset you?"

The taller slowly shook his head, blinking away his tears as he continued to look at the photo of his grandmother, "No, you didn't say anything like that... Just, I miss her a lot," he sniffled and put down the knife and left it on the chopping board. He moved over to the fairy boy and hugged him, "Sorry... I just need this right now..." he whispered, continuing to hold onto the boy as he took some moments to recollect himself.

Baekhyun hugged the other back, gently patting and rubbing his back, humming random tunes softly to help soothe the taller.

They spent some time like that before Chanyeol went back to preparing dinner.

 

 

 

 

It was later that night when Baekhyun was a bit tired and was wondering where he could sleep, that he found Chanyeol in a room by himself, staring at a canvas that had a partial background painted onto it.

The fairy boy stood by the doorway, not wanting to enter since it seemed to be Chanyeol's private space. He knocked softly, "Chanyeol?" he called out softly.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, I'll be with you in a second.." he answered. He continued to stay in place, unmoving for another few minutes before he stood up and turned around, looking a little dazed. He smiled to the fairy boy as he walked over to him and shut the door behind him. "Sorry about the wait, what did you need?" he asked.

Baekhyun looked up at the other and stared for a few moments, feeling as though maybe the elven blood within Chanyeol was actually stronger than what he had first sensed it to be. "Um, I'm a bit tired... So could you perhaps show me where I could sleep?"

"Oh, of course, right this way," Chanyeol smiled and led the fairy boy to the guest room he had. He switched on the light and stepped aside. "Feel free to use anything in here and also the bathroom if you need to. My room is just down the hall if you need me, and if I'm not there, I'll be in the room I was in just now," he explained.

"Thank you very much," the fairy boy smiled as he sat on the bed. "You have a good night, Chanyeol," he said as the other left the room. Baekhyun felt pretty happy being around the human with elven blood. He wanted to bring the other to the forest again to really introduce the world that was hidden behind the magic glamour.

After all, Baekhyun had a feeling that it would be a great experience for Chanyeol.

 

 

 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter