Chapter 1

The Secret Garden

 

         From the day that Eun Hye had lost her parents, her life no longer belonged to her.  Taking refuge with her uncle, everything became predetermined.  Wear this, not that, go to this school not that one and above all, know your place.  A king’s daughter; the company she kept was also predetermined.

**** (Flashback Eun Hye Age 10)

“But—but Uncle—he’s my friend!” The young girl exclaimed fighting against the rigid grip her uncle had on her wrist as he tried to drag her out the meadow filled with tall grass.

“Enough Eun Hyesshi!!! Look at this filth of a boy,” the older man stopped in his tracks, “you want this scum as your friend?—clothes always covered in dirt.” The older man scowled as he looked the young boy up and down.

Kim Bum stood still the entire time, not saying a word as the man looked at him with an unyielding glare of disgust.  He knew Eun Hye and himself had always been different; she was a princess.  He knew that she was destined to become the land’s next queen, while he, a son of widowed beekeeper had only a small cottage and a bit of worn out land to look forward to.  The last of the warm summer breeze blew through the field as the sun began to set and Kim Bum watched silently as his one and only friend was dragged away.

**** (Present Day Eun Hye Age 19)

“Miss, miss, it is time to get up now.” Eun Hye heard from underneath her pillowcase as one the maids knock gently at her bedroom door.

“Aish, Su-Hyun can’t you let me sleep in? Just this once?” Eun Hye mumbled.

“And what would you have me say if the princess didn’t show up to her own courting?” Su-Hyun asked smugly.

“That I’ve been eaten my trolls..kidnapped by faeries, your choice.” Eun Hye answered as she pulled back the heap of blankets covering her.

“Nonsense, I’d say you ran off with a pack of rabid leprechauns.” Su-Hyun replied with slight smirk on her face.

“Now that’s just crazy.” Eun Hye said.

As if programmed into her like some sort of robot, Eun Hye went about her morning routine of bathing, grooming and last but certainly not least enduring the torturous ritual of royal attire known as the corset.

“Mmphf—what is the point of even having a wife—mmf-if she’s just going to die of suffocation on you—mmpf. Eun Hye said gripping her bed post as Su-Hyun tightened the strings on her corset.

“Who knows maybe this one will be different?” Su-Hyun sighed.

“Mm a different prince, with a different palace for me to be placed—to become his doll.” Eun Hye groaned.