The Daycare Employee (EXO)

Descendants of Idols

Ft. TAORIS & child!Yitao

Genre: fluffy & comedy

Snippet: Wu Yifan is a child daycare employee, working at Matoki Daycare with two of his good friends. There he meets young boy who is a son  a tired, but hardworking single parent.

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

“Yah! Wu Yifan...you’re late,” the owner of the Matoki Daycare said, tapping his foot on the ground, angry that one of his employees was late. For the sixth time to be exact. “Yah, I should just fire you…”

“N-No wait!!” Yifan clasped his hands together, pleading in front of his employer, “m-my alarm didn’t go off! I swear my soul to it! I promise! I won’t be late anymore! I need this job!!”

“Man, Yifan…,” another employee sighed as he started to water the flower beds that were in front of their daycare, “you sleep like a log or something. To be late for the sixth time? That is a new record.”

“To be honest, you are probably the only man in the world that comes to work late six times in a row and I have yet to fire you.”

“Because...you are a good friend?”

“Please, we only know each other because of him,” the owner pointed at the other Matoki employee, Jung Daehyun, “if it wasn’t for him...I would have fired you.” He sighed, “just don’t let it happen again…again.”

Yifan smiled, breathing calmly now that the owner, Yoo Youngjae, has forgiven him. He bowed towards him. “I assure you that I will come in on time from now on.” He then stood up straight, “in fact, I’ll go get coffee for you and Daehyun! As a thank you for forgiving me!”

“H-Huh? Wait -- yah!!” Youngjae narrowed his eyes as he watched Yifan quickly turned his heel to run down by the nearest convenience store. “That guy...seriously,” he looked over his shoulder, “how are you two even friends?”

“Well...it all started with him being an exchange student from China...I happened to be his host family.” Daehyun smiled playfully, “he still acts like he was back then!”

“Ugh…”

“But don’t worry about it, Babe! He is a hard worker yeah?”

Youngjae walked towards him, and jabbed his hand in Daehyun’s side, causing him to let out  a yelp. “First off,” Youngjae said, “don’t call me Babe when you and I are working. It is Boss,” he blushed, “a-and second...I have to admit, he does well with children...despite the fact that he looks so terrifying sometimes.” He placed his hand against his cheek, “he looks like he angry all the time.”

“Well...that is Wu Yifan for ya...ow,” Daehyun rubbed his side with his hand, “all the children love him.”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

“Three cups of hazelnut coffee milk, please!” Yifan held up three fingers towards the cashier of the convenience store, “and...three donuts. That one...and those two over there.” He pointed at the glass casing. ‘Hm...donuts…’

“S-Sure thing!” The cashier said nervously as he quickly started to make the other’s coffee. Yifan let out a sigh, touching his own cheek with his hand.

‘Not again...I know that I look...scary, but really?! Is this way I can have a partner?!’ He puffed his cheeks, ‘Daehyun is lucky to have someone like Youngjae...ugh...their affection for each other is suffocating me.’

“Sir, y-your coffee milks...and do-donuts.” The cashier trembled a bit, as Yifan stared at him, rather intimidatingly towards him. “That will come to 11,700 WON.”

Yifan quickly paid and nodded towards the cashier. He left, leaving the cashier clutching his chest. “My god...that man is frightening,” he glanced at the door where Yifan left, “I’ve never seen a man whos resting face looks like they are pissed…” He let out a sigh of relief and continued his Monday morning routine.

Yifan dashed through the crowd, wanting to make it back to the Matoki Daycare in time before they opened. He knew that it was his turn to clean up a bit before opening, but due to his little mishap this morning, he couldn’t do it. ‘Maybe I should get three alarm clocks…’ He turned the corner, and started to slow his pace down. Yifan continued to walk, until he saw a big yellow, bunny head with the word ‘matoki’ written on its forehead.

“I’m back!” Yifan said, opening the small, metal gate that led him inside the Matoki premises. Daehyun looked over his shoulder, smiling like a child. He went over, taking the cup holder from Yifan’s hands.

“Hurry and change into your apron. The kids will be coming soon.”

“Un!” Yifan quickly went inside, and started to head to the employee room. He placed the box of donuts on the small table, before opening his locker. He took out his blue apron with a little panda print on the front. “That also reminds me...I should wash my other aprons.” He scratched his cheek with his index.

“Yifan!” Called Youngjae from the front, “the kids are here!”

“Comin’!!” Yifan replied, quickly putting his apron on. He dusted the front, and closed his locker. He left the employee room, and tied the back of his apron, giving it a perfect bow.

“Fan-Fan!” Three children said, beaming as they saw their favorite Matoki employee. In return, Yifan smiled.

“Good morning, Jongsoo, Sehan, and Xiuchen.” He knelt down, patting their heads one by one at the three. In return, Jongsoo gave a toothy-grin, Sehan smiling warmly, and Xiuchen glancing down at the floor, blushing. “What are we gonna do today?”

“We should play Knight and Dragon!” Jongsoo raised his hand up, “Fan-Fan is the dragon!”

“Me?” He chuckled.

“Yeah because dragons are tall and...and Fan-Fan scary like a dragon.”

‘You too huh?’ Yifan sighed, “sure.” He then smiled, placing his hands up and curling his fingers in the process as if he was acting like a tiger. He let out a roar, which the children chuckled, and started to run away from the older. Yifan stood up and started chasing the children in the playroom of the Matoki Daycare.

Youngjae smiled; he turned his attention to the door opening. He greeted more children coming in. “Morning Mr. Yoo.” Said one of the kids.

“Good morning Baekyeol,” Youngjae beamed. He looked up, greeting the child’s father, “morning to you to, Mr. Park.”

Mr. Park grinned. “Mornin’ Youngjae...you can call me Chanyeol you know,” he patted his son on the head, “Baekhyun will be picking him up today.”

“Un,” Youngjae nodded, “come in Baekyeol, the kids are already playing with Yifan.”

Baekyeol’s eyes lit up and cheeks started to turn rosy pink. “Okay!” Youngjae lifted the hatch that swung the door open for Baekyeol to enter. “Bye Daddy!” Baekyeol ‘goodbye’ to his father before scampering off to find the others. Youngjae beamed; he turned towards Chanyeol only to be taken back at the angered expression he displayed on his face.

“Er --”

“Who is this ‘Yifan’?” He asked, almost menacingly, “whenever Baekhyun mentioned him, Baekyeol gets all...giddy,” he crossed his arms together, “this ‘Yifan’ is causing my son to have a crush on him! He is too young!! The innocence!”

“I assure you...Chanyeol...Yifan is just an employee here, along with Daehyun,” he gestured towards Daehyun, who was putting the children’s small backpacks away in the cubbies,” it’s just that the children love Yifan. Even call him Fan-Fan because they love him so much.”

“Ugh...I knew that I would have to protect my little Yeolie from the human species that are men...but I didn’t think that it would be this early.” Chanyeol sighed, “well...knowing that the children enjoy him...it’s fine.” Youngjae nodded.

“Have a good day,” Youngjae started to wave, as Chanyeol nodded his head towards him.

“What’s up with him?” Daehyun approached Youngjae, glancing at the man that just left.

“He is just a concerned father...worried about his son falling in love too quickly.”

“Eh?!”

Youngjae nodded, “anyway, we have one more comin’ in,” he checked his sheet, seeing that every kid came in, except for one, “he is late though.”

“Who?” Daehyun peered over Youngjae’s shoulder.

“Un,” he pointed with his pen at the name, “him. Hu --”

The door opened abruptly, causing both Youngjae and Daehyun to jump in place. “Gods,” Daehyun placed his hand over his heart, “I think my heart just stopped for a second…”

“S-So sorry!” The adult in front of them bowed repeatedly. He stood up straight, with a worried expression on his face, “I-I’m Huang Zitao,” he gently patted the small child on the back, “and this is my son...Huang Yitao.”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

The new addition to the Matoki Daycare, Huang Yitao crossed his arms together with his eyes still red and swollen from the tears. His mother, Huang Zitao, left him in the care of Matoki Daycare employees. The younger sniffed, rubbing his nose with the back of his sweater, letting the snot drip from his nose. Youngjae rubbed his temple with his finger, easing the headache. Just an hour ago, Zitao apologized that he was running late in dropping off Yitao.

“My alarm didn’t go off! I’m sorry! I’ll make sure that I bring my son in time from now on,” Zitao bowed.

‘Sounds familiar,’ Youngjae thought, “erm, it’s fine.” He looked over the counter, seeing the small child. “Hello there. I’m Yoo Youngjae,” he gestured towards Daehyun, “and this is Jung Daehyun.”

Yitao puffed his cheeks, and turned his head away. “Ah,” Zitao gently placed his hand on top of Yitao’s, “sorry. My son...is quite shy and clingy,” he said in a whispering tone, “it may be difficult for the next couple of days. He will cry and act out. So, please it give it time.”

“Ah, I see,” Daehyun nodded, “well, that’s okay. I mean, the kids here are very welcoming. I’m sure that little Yitao would fit in quite well here.” He said, trying to reassure the other.

However, it ended up being a different story. Yitao started to wail when Zitao was about to leave for work, clutching his mother’s hand tightly. It took a good 10 minutes before Zitao persuaded the younger that he will come back for him after work.

“P-Promise?”

“I promise, Yitao,” Zitao gave the younger a kiss on the forehead, “so please be a good boy for Mr. Yoo and Mr. Jung...as well as for the other kids.”

Yitao lowered his head, holding on tight to his mother’s hand. He let out a soft sigh, before letting his grip loosen. “Okay…”

Zitao smiled softly, and patted his son on the head. “I’ll be back…,” he looked up at the employees, “5:30pm. Sharp.”

“Un.” Youngjae nodded.

With that, Zitao left, with Yitao letting out soft cries as he watched his mother disappear from his line of his vision.

“Ah,” Daehyun rubbed the back of his head, “hmm, don’t you want to play with the other children?” He asked the younger, to which he responded with a shake of his head. Daehyun pursed his lips. He spoke. “Okay, why don’t I put your backpack in your cubby?”

“Cubby?”

“Un! Everyone has their own little cubby. Why don’t we decorate it? We will add your name to it.” Yitao blinked, lowering his head. He gripped onto the hem of his knitted sweater. He gave a small nod. Smiling, Daehyun let out his hand for the younger to take. “It’s over there. Then after you can play with the other children.”

Daehyun gave Youngjae a thumbs up. “I did it!” He mouthed out to the other. Youngjae rolled his eyes, giving an ‘okay’ hand gesture. He watched as Daehyun and Yitao made their way to the cubbies.

“Man, I remember being this energetic when I was younger, but dang! These children are hyper!” Yifan rubbed his own back, trying to ease the pain for when the kids jumped on his back to fly on the ‘dragon’. “Owie…”

“Yah,” Youngjae pointed at Daehyun and Yitao,” the 13th child is here. Make sure that he feels welcomed and plays with the other kids….hm, his mother told me that he is quite shy. So, he might have some difficulty adjusting.”

“Oh, sure.” Yifan glanced over, seeing that he wasn’t quite listening to what Daehyun was telling him. “He sure does look sad.”

“Yeah...he went into a crying fit and didn’t want to be here.” Youngjae placed his hand on his own cheek, “I felt bad for him. Hm, but anyway, please make him smile.” He let out a chuckle, “knowing you, I’m sure he will fall for your charm as well.”

“Eh?” Yifan rubbed the back of his neck, “I’ll try...I mean, he looks pretty depressed...”

“You have a charm with kids. Good luck!”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

“Who’s that?” Jongsoo asked Sehan, who looked up from his blocks that he was stacking.

“Hm? Must be the new kid.”

“Oh?”

“New friend!!” Xiuchen clapped his hands together. “We have to introduce yourselves!”

“Wah...seriously? He should come over here.” Jongsoo pouted, “it’s too much work walk over there.”

“You are so lazy…” Sehan returned back to his block stacking. Baekyeol looked over, seeing the new boy sitting by himself, not really doing anything in particular.

‘He sure does look lonely.’ Baekyeol frowned. “Hu?” The four kids looked as Yifan was making his way over to the new boy. ‘Is...he going to talk to him?’

They watched as Yifan knelt down, lowering his head to look at boy at eye level. He let out a soft smile. Baekyeol’s eyes twinkled. “He is so cool…”

“What are you doing, Yitao?” Yifan asked. “Don’t you want to play with the kids?” Yitao shook his head. He was still sitting by himself not wanting to interact with the children. He just wanted the day to be over quickly so he can go home with his mother. Yifan laid his head against his knees, still looking at the younger. “Hm...then what do you want to do?”

“Nothing.” Yitao said in a hush tone.

“Nothing? But that is boring,” Yifan let out a toothy-grin, “do you want to draw?”

“Draw?”

“Yeah! And I’m a great artist!” He said, feeling a bit proud of his artistic skill that he doesn’t really possess. They were adequate in his eyes.

“Don’t let him fool you Yitao,” Daehyun chuckled, “he isn’t much of a drawer.”

“Please,” Yifan turned around, grabbing the small basket of makers and the basket of crayons, “I could have the next Leonardo DaVinci.”

Daehyun shook his head. “No. Just stop.”

“Anyway, let's draw.” Yifan said, ignoring the other, “I shall dazzle you with my drawing skills!!”

Yitao raised his eyebrow, finding Yifan the weirdest one among the three employees working. He understood that he was trying to make him feel welcomed, considering that he was the new boy on the block. He glanced down at the paper in front of him, and looked of at Yifan. Yitao saw that he was already drawing what he thought was a horse, or a dog. ‘Or maybe it is a weird cat?’ “What’s that?”

“It’s a dragon!” Yifan said happily. “I played Knight and Dragon with the other kids,” he gestured towards the other children, “it will be awesome if you joined.” He beamed, to which Yitao pondered a bit.

“Okay...I’ll play...but that isn’t a dragon…” Yitao pointed out.

“Wah? No way, it is a dragon!”

“Uh-uh,” Yitao shook his head, “this is what a dragon looks like.” He then grabbed a crayon and started to draw his version of a dragon. Youngjae walked by, seeing Yitao drawing on the piece of paper.

“Wow, Yitao!” He said with a bit of amazement, “what a cool dragon,” he looked over at Yifan’s paper, “Yifan...what in the world is that?”

With a puff of his cheeks, Yifan crossed his arms childishly, “it’s suppose to be a dragon!!”

“Oh...I thought it was a bird...er, my bad…”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

“Bye-Bye Mr. Yoo!!” The children said as they started to head out with their parents. It was already 5:30pm and the pickup time of the children. Youngjae waved goodbye, smiling at them.

“Have a good night.”

“Dang it Jongsoo,” Youngjae turned around seeing that Jongsoo was running around in circles of his father, laughing out loud as his father wasn’t able to catch him, “wear your coat!!” Youngjae shook his head, sighing in the process.

“No!”

“Jongsoo -- argh…how does Yifan even do this, Youngjae?” He turned to him, scratched the back of his neck.

“Honestly, I don’t know.” Youngjae chuckled at Kim Jongin, the father of the little monster, “Yifan has the charm I guess.”

“Lucky man -- Jongsoo, come here!” Jongin caught him in time before he could sprint off away from him, “wear your coat! Mom is waiting at home with samgyeopsal!”

Jongsoo’s eyes twinkled and his mouth started to water. “Meat!!”

“Yes, meat, now coat.” Jongin handed the smaller his coat.

Yitao watched as Jongsoo and Jongin interacted from a far. He lowered his shoulders, a bit sad seeing the sight of a father and son interacting. Yifan placed the rest of the toys in their respective buckets, before glancing over at the younger. He bit the inside of his cheek, wondering why Yitao was giving off a sadden expression. ‘Maybe because he misses his mom? Well, he is the only one left…’ He went over, standing right next to Yitao. Not even thinking, he patted him on the head. Surprised, Yitao jerked his head to the side and looked up.

“Wah?” Yitao placed his hands on his head.

“Don’t worry,” Yifan said, “your mama will come soon. Just wait a bit, okay?” He let out a soft smile, giving off a warm feeling.

“Un…”

“Bye Mr. Yoo!” Jongsoo said waving goodbye to the taller.

Yitao ce more, seeing Jongin pat his son on the head, smiling brightly to which Yitao awed on. “We will see you tomorrow, Youngjae.” Jongsoo beamed, holding onto his father’s hand.

“Alright, have a safe drive home.”

The two started to leave, and now it just Yitao. “And now there was only one.” Yifan said, chuckling a bit. Yitao nodded his head, sighing. He held onto his backpack straps, biting the inside of his cheek. His mama was late, even it was 3 minutes passed the 5:30 mark.

“Yitao, why don’t you sit here while Yifan and I clean up, okay?” Yitao didn’t even look up, but nodded. Youngjae placed his hand on Yitao’s back, and led him towards the little tables. “Just sit tight...your mama is coming.”

“Un…”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

A half hour has passed and Yitao was still at the daycare, sitting at the table with his head lowered. Youngjae placed his hand on his cheek, feeling a bit sad for the younger.

“His mother is still not here?”

Youngjae looked over his shoulder, seeing Yifan out of his apron and in his casual clothing. Already done for the day, he was about to head out, but stopped in his tracks to see Yitao still sitting in his chair and rubbing his eyes with the back of his hand. Yifan felt bad, and because of that, he couldn’t just leave.

“Nah, not yet,” Youngjae shook his head, “you can go home, Yifan...good work today.”

“U-Un...erm, I can stay for a bit.”

“Hmm?”

“I’ll stay,” he said, “keep him company. And I don’t mind not being paid for overtime.” Not even letting Youngjae reply, Yifan made his way over to Yitao, who looked like he was about to cry. “Yitao...a-are you okay?”

“U-Un…” Yitao rubbed his eyes once more. Yifan sat on the floor instead of the chairs, considering he was a full grown adult. He just amazed that none of the chairs have broke just yet.

“Don’t worry,” Yifan raised his hand and started to pat the younger on the head, “your mama is coming.”

Yitao just nodded his head, not really responding. Just like any child, he wanted to see his mother. With silence passing by, Yifan looked behind him at the shelf that had rows of various children’s books and a thought came into mind. He reached for a book and glanced at it. Yitao looked over, at the book and back at Yifan, back and forth. With a happy grin, Yifan showed him the book. “Why don’t I read you a story, hm? By the time I finish, your mama will walk through that door.” He said, trying to ease Yitao a bit. If he could keep Yitao occupied with the story, his attitude will change. Yifan opened the book, showing Yitao the first page.

Yitao blinked and stared at it as Yifan started to read. Intrigued, his mind started to become distracted.

Youngjae watched from afar, not really surprised on Yifan’s ability. Resting against the counter, he watched as Yitao’s expression went from sad to happy, to even laughing when Yifan gave the characters different voices. Youngjae chuckled at the sight. “Ah...no matter what he says, I’m going to pay him overtime.” He whispered to himself.

The sound of the door opening caught Youngjae’s attention that he looked behind him to find a man out of breath from running. It was Huang Zitao. “M-Mr. Huang,” Youngjae made his way over, “let me get you some water --”

“O-Oh no, it’s okay,” Zitao said, trying to regain his breathing, “just give me a few minutes.”

“Of course, uh, please,” Youngjae placed a stool for Zitao to take, “rest first. Did you run all the way here?”

“Un.” Zitao nodded, holding on to his bag that he carried with him. “Thank you.” He looked passed Youngjae and saw his son all in small smiles and giggles with a man that he hasn’t met or seen, “Is he…,” Zitao pointed at the other male with his son, “your other employee?”

“Oh, yes,” Youngjae nodded, “he is my other employee. His name is Wu Yifan. While Daehyun and I keep things tidy, Yifan mostly deals with the children. All the kids love him a lot, which makes him quite popular.”

“Oh, I see,” Zitao watched as his son continues to enjoy Yifan’s character impersonations. He decided to wait until Yifan was done with the story reading and that he will inform his presence. “I would like to apologize for my tardiness...my work hours --”

“It’s understandable,” Youngjae nodded, “please don’t worry. Yifan, Daehyun, and I will stay after  hours so you won’t have to rush over here.”

“B-But...I-I...I can’t do that,” Zitao said, shaking his head, “I won’t be able to pay --”

Youngjae raised his hand, “don’t worry about it,” he chuckled, “we’ve done it before for other single parents.”

“How --”

“A hunch...and besides, you aren’t the only one. You just need to tell us.”

Surprised, Zitao gave a nod. “T-Thank you so much. I will.”

Youngjae smiled, “great!”

After a couple of minutes, Yifan closed the book with a happy look on his face. It turned out that Yifan was successful in keeping Yitao occupied. “Great story, huh?” Yitao looked up at Yifan and gave a nod. “How about --”

“Ahem.”

Both Yifan and Yitao looked up at Youngjae, who gestured his hand over to Zitao. Yitao’s eyes widen and his face displayed a huge smile. “Mama!”

‘Mama?’ Yifan thought, placing the book on the table and grabbing the smaller's backpack. He stood up and Yitao did. Zitao knelt down as the younger ran over, giving Zitao a tight hug.

“Mama.” Yitao buried his face against his shoulder. With a small smile, he nuzzled his face against the younger’s head.

“I’m so sorry for being late,” Zitao said, rubbing Yitao’s back trying to ease him. “Mama was held up at work.” He looked up, seeing Yifan fully, holding onto Yitao’s backpack. “Thank you so much for keeping Yitao company.”

“O-Oh, it was nothing. No problem at all,” Yifan said, stuttering a bit on his words, 'wow he is...pretty...er, do men like being called pretty?' “u-um, he was a joy to have.” He said, clearing his throat.

Zitao smiled warmly as he stood up. He lent out his hand for the backpack, but Yifan ended up reading the atmosphere wrong. He extended his hand out and started to shake hands with the other. “Er,” Zitao chuckled a bit, “I was actually going to take my son’s backpack…”

“Hu? O-Oh! Oh, m-my bad,” Yifan mentally cursed at himself as he gave the other the backpack, “sorry.”

Zitao let out a chuckle. “Again, thank you so much for looking out for Yitao,” he placed his hand on Yitao’s head, “I just hope that he wasn’t a bother.”

“N-No,” Yifan shook his head, “as I said, he was a joy to have.” He glanced down at Yitao, only to be surprised that Yitao was giving him a small smile.

“You were right!” Yitao beamed, as he continued to hug his mother’s leg.

“Hu?”

“You said my mama will come after reading the book! And mama came! You didn’t lie! My mama came!!”

“Uh...oh of course,” Yifan nodded, giving a thumbs up, “told ya!” He laughed. ‘Actually, I should thank his mom for coming at the right time.’

Yitao smiled, taking his backpack from his mother’s hand. As he started to put it on, Zitao fully bowed at the two. “We will take our leave. Thank you so much. Say goodbye Yitao.”

“Bye bye!” Yitao waved at the two.

Youngjae started to wave at the two. “Get home safely.”

The two bid their farewell, and exited. Once the door closed, Youngjae gave a big stretch. “Well, that is it for the day,” he gently smacked Yifan’s back, “good work today.”

“Ow...thanks.” Yifan rubbed his back.

“And that was the first time I’ve heard you stutter,” he chuckled, “it was pretty funny.”

“Hmpt!” Yifan puffed his cheek, crossing his arms together. ‘I didn’t mean to do that.’

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

Youngjae narrowed his eyes at Yifan, who was on his knees pleading in front of the other. “Yifan…” He said, gritting his teeth and crossing his arms together.

“I know!! But I swear this time!! My alarm really didn’t go off!!” He weeped, “forgive me!!”

“Ugh, I can’t even,” Youngjae rubbed his forehead with his fingers, “just...get inside and get ready.”

Yifan whimpered; he got up and dusted himself before walking towards the daycare. “Wow dude,” Daehyun shook his head, as he watched Yifan started to drag himself inside, “this makes seven ya know.”

“I know!! But my alarm!”

“For your birthday...I’m getting you like four alarms. Brand new alarms.”

“Yah…” Yifan picked up his pace and started to head inside the employee room. He wore the same apron from yesterday, tying a perfect bow in the back. As he walked out, he started to open the blinds, letting the sun’s rays shine inside the daycare center. It was the new day and a sunny day at that.

“Oh Yifan, how is it that you can’t wake up on time?” Daehyun laughed, patting Yifan on the back.

“Ugh...I don’t know. I think you should buy me some alarms. New ones.”

A chuckle escaped from the other’s lips. “Honestly, I think you need someone to wake up physically. Hurry up and get a partner! They can be your personal alarm clock.”

“Hmm.”

“Do you want me to set you up? I do have friends that are single.”

“Uh --”

“Discussions like that will be after work,” Youngjae hit Daehyun in the back of head with a children’s book, getting a small yelp from the other, “but Daehyun does have a point. Well...by that I mean, you have been single for quite awhile. Why don’t you go back in dating?”

Yifan shrugged and gave a disapproving expression. He has dated in the past, but most of his relationships ended rather quickly, and with his resting face to be rather ‘scary’, it has been hard to get a date. In fact, he decided to just not date at all, even though he did secretly to long for a companion. With a sigh, he glanced up at the two, envious that they had each other.

With a blink, Youngjae tilted his head to the side. “Something wrong?”

“Er, n-no,” he shook his head, “um...I’ll water the flowers outside.” Yifan turned his heel, and started to head outside to water the flowers. Daehyun gave a sadden expression, knowing that Yifan wished that he had someone by his side.

“Was it wrong of me to bring that up?” He asked Youngjae.

“It may have been insensitive of us to bring ‘relationships’ up like that,” Youngjae sighed, “he is a good guy...if people would just look passed that ‘angry’ face of his.”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

The children were already pouring in, now playing with Yifan in the play area. Youngjae smiled, seeing that Yifan was now having a better expression that he had just hours ago. With the sound off the door opening, he looked over his shoulder, seeing that it was Zitao with his son. “Ah, good morning,” Youngjae said, “and morning to you too, Yitao.”

“Un...good morning, Mr. Yoo.” Yitao said, holding onto his backpack. With a face of realization, he swung his backpack over, opened it. He took out a small, neatly wrapped bag of cookies, tied with a green ribbon. “Erm...for Mr. Wu.”

“Hu? For Yifan?”

“Un.” Yitao nodded.

“As a thank you,” Zitao said, “for doing over time, I’m assuming. And for making my son smile.” He said, smiling softly. “It was just too kind of him to do so.”

“Oh...no problem. Like I said, Yifan, between Daehyun and I, he interacts well with children. They love him a lot. Plus he is that type of person. Softhearted if you will.”

In awe, Zitao nodded his head. “That is nice to know.”

Youngjae opened the hatch, and let Yitao inside, “why don’t you give that to Yifan personally?”

“Hu?!”

“Hm,” he nodded, “I think he will be happy to see you giving the cookies personally.”

Yitao was a bit nervous, but mustered the courage to do so. With a nod of determination, he waved goodbye to his mother, and headed straight for the cubbies first to put his backpack in. Youngjae turned to face his attention towards Zitao.

“I might be running late again,” he said with an apologetic tone in his voice, “the bus schedule changed, so I’ll be in half hour late than the actual pick up time.”

“Oh, of course. I’ll let Daehyun and Yifan know about it. Hm, if you don’t mind me asking, but what do you do?” He asked, curious as to what Zitao does for a living. ‘Was it too much? It is such an intrusive question…’

“I’m a nurse. I work at Xiaolu Hospital as an RN. Part time though, since I have my Yitao to look after and I really don’t have anyone at home to look after him.”

“Ah wait, Xiaolu Hospital? That is...about a half hour away?”

“Give or take. I usually get their with 5 minutes to spare.” Zitao checked his watch, “ah, I better get going.”

“Un, have a safe ride.”

Zitao nodded, thanking him. He left the daycare, rushing to the bus stop. ‘Ah...nurse...single parent...and a half hour compute from there to here and vice versa,’ Youngjae placed his hand on his cheek, ‘I wonder how far lives. He must be so tired, but I do commend him for working so hard.’

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

Yitao watched from afar as Yifan continued to play with the other children in the play area. He clutched the bag of cookies in his hands, pondering if he should go ahead and give the gift to him now, or wait until he was done playing with the other kids. With a deep inhale and a determination look on his face, he started to head over.

Baekyeol looked over his shoulders, seeing that Yitao was approach them. ‘He is coming over.’ He blinked and eventually locked eyes the other. Yitao froze on the spot as he stared right at Baekyeol. He quickly turned his heel, and started to head straight for the small tables, feeling a bit embarrassed. ‘Oh,’ he stood up, dusting his clothes and started to make his way over, “hi!” Baekyeol beamed, putting his hands behind his back. “I’m Baekyeol!” Taken back, Yitao ended up just nodding his head towards the other. Hoping that he would leave, he decided to ignore him, however, for Baekyeol he didn’t leave just quite yet. He continued. “What’s your name?”

“Uh…”

“I’m Baekyeol!” He said, repeating himself, to which Yitao thought it was unnecessary to do so.

“It’s Yitao.”

“Yitao?”

“Un.” He nodded.

“Ah, welcome!” Baekyeol pointed at group of kids and Yifan, “why aren’t cha playing with us and Fan-Fan?” Yitao didn’t respond, and instead shook his head. “But it is so boring being over here.” Without even thinking, Baekyeol playfully grabbed Yitao’s hand, and started to pull him towards the group of kids and Yifan. Shocked, Yitao could only widen his eyes at the sudden action. “His name is Yitao!” Baekyeol said loudly once they were up close to the others.

‘Hu?’ Yifan looked over his shoulder, “ah, Yitao.”

“His name is Yitao,” Baekyeol said, turning his attention towards Jongsoo, “Yitao!!”

“Jeez, Baekyeol,” Jongsoo leaned back, feeling a bit irritated with the other’s loud voice, “you are being loud.”

“Sorry! I’m just so excited!” Baekyeol chuckled, swinging his hand that was still in Yitao’s. “We have a new friend!” Yitao lowered his head once more, feeling the eyes of the children staring at him. Feeling a bit embarrassed that he started to blush.

“Yitao huh?” Jongsoo said, approaching him and placing his hands on his own hips. He tilted his head, left and right, as if he was studying the other. With a toothy grin, he extended his hand out. “I’m Kim Jongsoo!”

Following his lead, Xiuchen raised his hand, waving it to catch Yitao’s attention, “I’m Kim Xiuchen!”

With the roll of his eyes, Sehan decided to introduce himself. “I’m Oh Sehan,” he said, pushing his glasses up with his finger, “nice to meet you.”

Eventually, the children started to introduce themselves, as well as welcome Yitao to the daycare. It was overwhelming, but Yitao smiled, feeling happy that the other kids were greeting him. Jongsoo took notice of the cookies, and pointed at them. “Your snack?”

“Hu?”

“The cookies.”

“O-Oh, uh...they are for, erm,” a blush formed on his face, that he held it up for Yifan to take, “for you...a thank you for yesterday.”

“Oh! Wow, really?” Yifan gladly took the small gift, awing at the cutely shaped cookies that were inside the small bag, “you are so kind, Yitao,” he reached over and patted Yitao on the head. It sent a warm feeling for Yitao, that he smiled, “thank you.”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

“Bye-Bye!!” The children said once more as it was now the end of the day. They waved goodbye and in turn, Daehyun, Youngjae, and Yifan waved goodbye.

“Jongsoo! Not again!!” Yifan looked over, chuckling at Jongsoo as he was complicated when being picked up by Jongin. He ran around in circles, causing Jongin to stand still. He pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing. “I’m getting dizzy, Jongsoo.”

“I don’t wanna go home yet! Jongsoo then headed straight for Baekyeol, who was putting on his jacket. “Baekyeol, let's play some more!”

“Eh? But it’s time to go home.”

“Yes,” Chanyeol knelt down, being at eye-level with the younger, “now shoo-shoo.” He said, straining a smiling.

“Jeez, Chanyeol,” Jongin rubbed the back of his neck, “overprotective parent.”

“I have to be! Just look at my son! He is the definition of angel!”

“You’re being weird.”

Baekyeol chuckled, zipping up his coat. He turned his head towards Yitao, seeing that he wasn’t getting ready, but still drawing. “Hu?” He started to trot his way over. “Yitao, where is your papa?”

Yitao looked up , and shrugged. “I dunno. I don’t have a papa.”

By that statement, it caught Yifan’s attention. ‘No, father? So, Zitao is a single parent?’

“No...papa?” Baekyeol blinked, “oh...then where is your mama?”

“He is coming,” Yitao said, resuming back to his drawing, “my mama works hard. He helps sick people get better.”

“Oh!”

“Baekyeol, we have to go now,” Chanyeol called, “say goodbye.”

“‘Kay! Well, bye-bye Yitao. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Baekyeol beamed once more, being turning his heel and heading straight for his father. Yitao sighed, and decided to stop drawing for the day.

“You too, Jongsoo,” Jongin ruffled his son’s hair, now that he had calmed down, “say your goodbyes.”

“Bye!” he said, giving a small wave. With that, the parents left with their respective children. The only one left, again, was Yitao. Yifan scratched his cheek, and turned to face Youngjae.

“He doesn’t have a dad?” He asked in a hush tone.

“How did you know?”

“Yitao just said it to Baekyeol.”

“Ah...well, yeah. Zitao is a single parent. Which reminds me, because of Zitao’s job his pickup for Yitao is at 6pm. The commute from work to here is rather difficult. He takes the bus, which is the reason why. The schedule changed, so he has to wait a bit for the bus to come and do its rounds.”

“Oh, okay, that's no problem for me.” Yifan said, not even thinking twice about the situation.

“Erm, ‘scuse me.” Both Yifan and Youngjae turned their attention down to see Yitao with a book in his hand. “Can you read me a story?” He asked, shyly, holding out the book ‘If you give a mouse a cookie’.

Exhausted himself from playing with the kids, and making sure that every kid was happy. All he wanted was to go home and crash on his bed. Yifan smiled, “of course.”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

Zitao came rushing in, out of breath just like last time. This time Youngjae was prepared and had a bottle of water at hand and the stool ready to be sat on. The late parent apologized, even if it was 10 minutes late, but Youngjae assured him that it was okay. “Drink some water first.”

With a nod, Zitao took the bottle of water and opened it. He looked passed the employee, not seeing his son anywhere. As if he knew, Youngjae pointed to the play area where Yifan was sitting on a big, bean bag with his head back and lightly snoring, while Yitao was also on a bean bag sleeping soundly with a blanket placed over him. “The two had an eventful day,” he said, “Yitao played with the kids and --”

“He what?” Zitao said, surprised that his son actually played with today only being the second day.

“Yeah, he played with the other kids. He was still a bit shy, but he quickly warmed up once the kids let him joined their games. They were running around so much that it left Yifan exhausted, but when it comes with kids, he always make the exception.” He chuckled a bit at the memory. As he opened his eyes, he saw that Zitao was feeling a bit guilty that he was overexerting the employee. There was Yifan asleep and exhausted from today. Zitao stood up and bowed towards Youngjae.

“I’m so sorry.”

“Hu? Hm, you are a very apologetic man, Mr. Huang. You have to remember that it is our job.”

“But...I mean, working with children is an exhausting job. As a parent, I should know...and I can see that Yifan would rather go home and sleep.”

“When children are involved, he always puts them first and will tend to their needs first.” Youngjae said, “Yifan is like that.” A loud snore erupted, causing Youngjae to pinch the bridge of his nose, while Zitao let out a soft chuckle. “Ah...Yifan…” Just then, a mini snore came from Yitao, mimicking the other.

Yifan jumped a bit in place from the mini snore that came from Yitao. “Huh? Wha? What happened?”

Youngjae waved his hand, pointing towards Zitao, who also waved towards him. ‘Oh!!’ Yifan scrabbled to get up, falling on the floor completely. He raised his hand, giving a small wave towards his employer and Zitao. He was able to stand up, and quietly walk over.

“You remember Mr. Huang.” Youngjae said, to which Yifan nodded.

“Of course, good evening.”

Zitao nodded his head. “Zitao is just fine...erm, thank you so much again for watching Yitao. You look so exhausted...and I apologize for that.”

“Ah, don’t worry about that.” Yifan rubbed the back of his neck, “hm, I-I’ll go get Yitao’s backpack for you.”

“Un,” Zitao placed his bag on the counter and started to make his way over to Yitao, while Yifan got the younger’s backpack. He picked him up gently, laying his hand behind Yitao’s head. Yitao stirred a bit, but quickly fell back asleep, “thanks.” Yitao grabbed Yitao’s backpack from the other.

“You have a lot of things to carry...do you want help?” Yifan asked, concerned that it might be difficult for Zitao to carry Yitao, the backpack, and his things at night. “I mean, I’m already done for the day I can --”

“Oh no, I don’t want to trouble you.” Zitao interjected. He gave a reassured expression that he will be fine. “You’ve done so much for me and my son already.”

“But --”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” Zitao said, now making his way over to the door. Youngae opened the door for the other and wished him a safe trip back home. Yitao opened one of his eyes, tiredly waved goodbye to Yifan before yawning.

Feeling a bit worried, Yifan was starting to contemplate if he should follow them just to make sure that they make it home safely. ‘But on the other hand, I feel like a stalker…’ He gripped his hair with his hands, ‘should I? Or not?!’

“Don’t go bald…” Youngjae said, taking off his apron, “though, I’m on your side. If we have the same wave length goin’ on. It is night time with him walking back home with his child.”

“I think I’ll follow him,” Yifan took off his apron, and placing it on the counter, “I’m worried that something might happen. I’ll see you later Youngjae, and good work today!” With that, he left the daycare, rushing to make sure that the two will get home safely.

“Yeah, good work,” Youngjae said softly, “what a nice man he is.” He picked up Yifan’s arpon, bringing it back to the employee lounge.

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

Yifan was able to catch up with the other, seeing that Zitao was doing well in carrying his son and the bags in his hands. Amazed, it really looked like he didn’t need help in carrying the items. Now his only concern was that the two get home safe and sound. Yifan kept his distance, but at the same time, being able to see the two. It was a good 6 minutes, and they were eventually approaching Yifan’s apartment complex. ‘Oh, they live in my complex?’ Surprised and a bit ecstatic, it meant that the two can talk and get to know each other better. However, as soon Zitao passed the apartment complex, it started to raise another question for Yifan. ‘Wha? Where is he going? Don’t tell me that he is heading to the other complex!’

Regardless, he followed.

‘Being a single parent that works and picks up his son at 6...to walk back home?! I mean, it takes me about 3 minutes tops when I run from home to work...and didn’t Youngjae say that he takes the bus to work?’ “That is a lot…” He whispered to himself.

It was a good 7 minutes until they reached the apartment complex that Zitao and Yitao resided in. ‘What a walk!’ Yifan thought, seeing that Zitao entered the complex. Knowing that the two got home safe, he nodded to himself and turned his heel to head back home. ‘He lives far from the daycare. And he is tired from work...it is obvious…’ “How can a single parent do it?”

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

A month has passed, and Yifan’s routine ended up being getting to work, do his job, end his job with keep Yitao company by reading books until his mother comes to pick him up, and after follow the two to make sure that they got home safely. Not a lot of people would do what he does, but he loved all the kids that enter the daycare and treat them as his own.

“Good work today,” Youngjae said, taking his apron off, “have -- hey, why are you rushing?” He stopped Yifan, as he was heading out in a hurried manner. “You have been doing that for the past weeks...are you still following Zitao and Yitao home? Up until now?!”

“Un,” Yifan nodded his head, “they live far Youngjae...and at night. I just worry that some crazy person will approach them and hurt them.”

“If you worry about that, then why don’t you just walk with Zitao instead of being in the shadows? You look more crazy for following them at night.”

“I...er...um…”

Youngjae smirked. “Right? Unless you like stalking --”

“No way!” Yifan zipped up his jacket, “I’m not sort of creepo!”

“Fine...this is the last time though. If you are concerned about it, ask if you can walk him home.”

“Okay…”

“Good. Now walk home safely.”

With that, Yifan nodded and started heading out. He had to pick up his pace for the lost time in talking with Youngjae. Just like his routine, he followed Zitao and Yitao, the two hand in hand as they walked. ‘I should follow Youngjae’s instructions, but at the same time it is all about being concerned for their safety...is it weird to walk another adult and a child home?’ In his thoughts, he didn’t notice that the duo were now nowhere in his line of vision. He stopped in his tracks, eyes widen in fear. ‘W-Where did they go?!’ Frantic, he looks around, even at the sidewalk on the other side of the street, but not seeing them. ‘Oh god, oh god, oh god --’

“Yifan?”

Yifan jerekd his head, looking behind him to see that Zitao and Yitao were behind with Zitao carrying a bag of groceries. Yifan looked up, seeing that the two headed in a convenience store to shop. Zitao raised his eyebrow. “Yifan?”

“Ah...e-er, Zitao...wow, you...hi.” Yifan mentally wanted to punch himself. He was not cool at all.

“Um, hi...are you...are you okay? You look anxious.”

“Oh...not really. I just...you two just surprised me is all! Hahaha-ah...erm,” Yifan scratched the back of his neck, ‘this definitely looks bad...what if he things that I’m stalking him.’

Zitao continued to look at him with questioning eyes, but instead, he was greeted with a chuckle. “I see. You are heading home yeah,” pointed ahead of him, “that way?”

“Huh? Oh yeah, that way.” Yifan nodded. It was true. His apartment complex was really in that direction.

“Ah, then we can walk together...i-if you don’t mind that is.” Zitao asked, to which Yitao nodded his head, hoping that Yifan would agree.

“I don’t see a probably with that, unless you don’t mind.” ‘Really Yifan...really...you would ask that dumb question…’

“I...aha...I don’t mind.” Zitao was starting to find Yifan funny. ‘What an interesting guy.’

“Yay!” Yitao released his grip and took hold of Yifan’s hand, to both adults surprises.

“Yitao was telling me about his day...he had so much fun.”

“That’s good,” Yifan turned to Yitao, patting his head with his left hand, “I’m glad you had a good day today, Yitao. That means that I did my job!”

Yitao gave a thumbs up. “Good job!” He said grinning.

The three started to head down the street, talking and getting themselves a little bit more acquainted. Yifan eventually learned that the other was a registered nurse at a hospital that was quite aways from the daycare and because it is only him taking care of Yitao, he had to push through for his son. In awe, Yifan could only say that he commend for the other for his hard work.

They eventually reached Yifan’s apartment complex, but kept on walking. He didn’t want to leave just yet. Instead, he kept on walking. They continued to walk, laughing here and there on lame jokes that Yifan pulled out. It was relaxing and for Zitao, it felt as he had another adult to talk to. The trio were soon approaching Zitao and Yitao’s apartment complex, and Yifan found himself in a problem.

‘How am I going to get out of this?’ Yifan couldn’t just go inside, since he had no id card or even a key to the building. The security guard would him out regardless. ‘Zitao is going to find it strange that I won’t come inside. What the flip-flap am I going to do?!’

They were now at the gate to the apartment complex and Zitao looked over his shoulder, a bit happy. “You live here too?”

“Huh? P-Pardon?”

“Here...you live here too? What a coincidence! What floor do live in?”

“Uh…,” looking at the complex, he decided to take a guess, “seventh floor?”

Zitao raised his eyebrow, “seventh?”

‘Oh god, here it comes...the way I said it would give it away!’

“Wow! I live on the seventh floor!”

‘Well...dang…’ “Really?”

“Yup. Well, when we moved here, the only available room was on the seventh floor so we took it.” He said, approaching the gate, nodding his head to the security guard. He looked over his shoulder, seeing that Yifan wasn’t moving. “Hu? Whats wrong?”

“Oh, uh, nothing...I’m actually going to stay outside a bit...enjoy the nice breeze outside.”

“It’s 3 degrees celsius though? Aren’t you cold?”

“Uh...not really.” ‘Considering that I’m sweating like a pig right now. Oh man…’ “Why don’t you and your mother go inside. Don’t want you to catch cold.” He said to Yitao, leading him towards Zitao. “Plus, it you need to eat dinner, take a bath, and head to bed.”

Yitao yawned a bit, but agreed. It was hungry and he wanted to sleep as soon as possible. He released his grip on Yifan’s hand and headed straight for his mother. “You guys go on, I’ll be up.”

“Oh...okay. Um, room 7B is mine. What is yours? Honestly, I’m surprised that I haven’t seen you on my floor,” he let out a chuckle, “we’ve probably ran into each other...I just don’t remember.”

“7...K.” Yifan said, giving  a guess. Well, it wasn’t all a lie. He did live on the seventh floor, room ‘K’ of his own apartment complex, but was unsure if room ‘K’ was actually on the floor. Feeling that he might have gotten caught, Zitao nodded.

“Ah, the room at the end of the hallway. I’ll keep that in mind. Well, don’t stay for too long...it’s freezing.”

“I won’t.”

With that, the two started to head inside, while Yifan was left outside. Once the door closed behind the other, Yifan let out a sigh. He rubbed his eyes, now realized what he has done. ‘Crap...I’m digging myself a grave right now.’

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

“Did you talk to him?” Yifan let out a low groan, lowering his head against the table. Daehyun raised his eyebrow, turning towards Youngjae for an explanation. “He is doomed.”

“What happened?” Daehyun asked, looking back and forth, clearly confused at the situation.

“I basically dug myself a grave.”

Youngjae sighed, filling in Daehyun what has happened. “And now...I’m gonna guess that you ignored what I have said, and now you are in a big problem. He thinks you live in his apartment complex...yeah?”

Yifan nodded; he brought his head up. “I just have to keep the facade. You know pretend that I live there...and wait just for a few minutes and then leave. Yeah? Sounds good?”

“No, that is a horrible plan,” Youngjae shook his head, “you can’t keep walking back and forth from his home to yours. He is going to catch on.”

“That is...if I mess up.”

“But you are going to mess up! Plans like this always turn out bad!”

“Youngjae is right Yifan,” Daehyun nodded his head, “he might figure it out and might find this whole you walking home thing kinda weird. Stalker status even. He just might interpret this the wrong way is all.” He said being truthful, “do you like Zitao or something?”

“I...I-I worry. I mean, walking home at night with a child...I’m just looking out for them. Plus, he get off from work...wake up early and get home late. He is tired.”

“You sure do care lot for him...a lot.” Daehyun shook his head, knowing that this potentially could go bad, “just...be ready. For what may happen.”

“I will.”

The door opened, and the three stood up, greeting Zitao and Yitao. “Wow, you two are early.” Youngjae said, approaching the counter to let Zitao sign the younger in.

“Because I woke up two hours early!” Yitao raised his hand, feeling a bit proud, “I got dressed and made cereal for myself.”

“Wow, what a big boy you are!” Feeling proud, Yitao have a thumbs up. Youngjae opened the hatched door and let Yitao in. The younger rushed towards his cubby, wanting to put his backpack in. Youngjae turned towards Zitao, “this means you will get to work early. Talk about extra time huh?”

“I actually have the day off today,” Zitao directed his attention towards Yifan, “can I...speak with you.” He said, as if he knew something.

“Eh?” Yifan pointed at himself.

“Oh crap,” Daehyun whispered towards Yifan, “I didn’t expect it to be that fast.”

“What?!” Yifan muttered towards the other, feeling panicked.

Zitao crossed his arms, tilting his head to the side. Youngjae felt the atmosphere suddenly changed that he quickly grabbed Daehyun by the arm. “It was nice knowing you.” He whispered to Yifan, as the two quickly made their way over to Yitao to preoccupy him. Now with Yifan and Zitao alone, the daycare worker was now bracing himself.

‘Here it comes…’

Zitao continued to stare, but eventually let out an exhale, “you don’t live at our complex...huh?”

Yifan bit the inside of his cheek. “W-What gave it away?” He said, knowing well where this conversation is leading to.

“With my son waking up two hours early, I thought that we could catch you before heading to work. So we can walk together...but when I went to the room that you said that you lived in...it just so happens that it is occupied by an elderly grandmother. I went downstairs to the security guard and asked about you...he said he doesn’t know anyone by that name and didn’t know who you are when he saw you last night.”

“Ah --”

“She isn’t your grandmother...is she...and you really don’t live in my complex.”

Yifan opened his mouth, but immediately closed it. Lying would just get him into more trouble and he didn’t want that. A rush of guilt washed over his face, “Okay you might see this as creepy and stalkerish -- ”

“You think?”

“A definite look of...stalking, but I swear it isn’t like that. Or a ert, definitely not a ert.” Yifan said, making sure that it was established, but Zitao couldn’t comprehend.

“Then why did you walk with us in the first place?”

“I was worried.”

“Worried?” Zitao was taken back at the response, “worried for what?”

“Knowing that you wake up everyone morning, head to daycare, rush to get to work on time, and after work you head back to the daycare by bus and walk home at night. I...I worry. You are tired from work and I don’t know, something could happen. Just like the second day...you were carrying Yitao home...and I was worried about you two so I followed --”

“Wait, wait...come again?” Zitao leaned forward to make sure that what he heard was correct, “followed? Did you say ‘followed’? Yesterday isn’t the first time?”

Yifan widen his eyes, realizing that he just exposed himself. “Uh, I…,” ‘Someone just drop kick me...holy shi --’ “yesterday wasn’t the first time...for a month I followed you two. Just making sure that you two made it home safely.” ‘God I’m the worst. It makes me sound more of a creepo. No matter how you see it!!’'

“A month?!” Zitao said, shocked at the fact that an employee would do something like he did. It caused him to take precaution. He walked passed Yifan, making his way over to Youngjae and Daehyun, who were playing with the younger at play area. “I-I’m sorry, I think...I would like to spend my time with Yitao today.”

“Hu? Oh...oh okay, sure.” Youngjae stood up, as well as Daehyun, “go get his backpack, Daehyun.”

“Un.” With a nod, the other made his way to Yitao’s cubby.

“Mama?” Yitao then stood up, “what’s wrong?”

“Ah, you and I are going to spend time together today,” he said, extending his hand out. Yitao blinked, but displayed an overjoyed expression. It was very rare for him to spend time with his mother, and as much as he loved being in the Matoki Daycare to be with his friends and the employees, he would trade it if it meant spending time with him. Yitao extended his hand, and grabbed Zitao’s hand.

“Here you go,” Daehyun said, handing the backpack over, “h-have a good day.”

Zitao nodded his head at the two and quickly rushed out of the daycare. Yitao looked over his shoulder, saying a soft and happy goodbye to Yifan. In return, Yifan weakly waved goodbye. As they left, he just stood still, knowing well that if he said anything else, it just might worsen the situation. ‘I-It makes sense...he would think of me as a weirdo. Why have a weirdo near your son.’

“Well, that was interesting. Faster than I expected.” Youngjae said, walking over to the counter to sign off Yitao from today’s daycare. “You just made yourself look like a creep who stalks single parents and tries to befriend them.” Yifan covered his face, mentally cursing himself at what he did. “I would say ‘I told you so’,” Youngjae added, crossing his arms together, “and it hasn't even been a day.”

“What am I going to do? I don’t want him to see me in that way!”

Daehyun nodded, patting the other on the back. He tried to think of a way, but no matter, it felt it would get worse if Yifan did anything. “Sorry man.”

Youngjae bit the inside of his cheek, humming to himself. With a good 5 minutes of silence, the door opened. “Good morning!” The children started to walk in with their parents, waving ‘hello’ to the employees. Youngjae nodded his head, changing his attitude immediately; he turned to Daehyun and Yifan, “we have work to do.”

“U-Un.” Yifan nodded, soon displaying a happy face.

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

It has been a couple of weeks, and Zitao hasn’t been coming in with the younger. It started to worry Yifan the most, thinking that because of what he did it made him look bad as well as the daycare center. Not only that, he was also worried about the two, wondering if they were okay.

It was the end of the day, and Yifan closed his locker, He started to put on his knitted sweater, buttoning the buttons before putting on his jacket and turning off the lights of the employee lounge. Youngjae was finishing up with the cleaning, putting away toys and markers away in their respective baskets. “Good work today.” Yifan said, almost in a whisper.

Youngjae stood up straight, nodding his head. “Good work today. You okay?”

“Um...eh,” Yifan shrugged, “I’m okay. Um, I’ll take my leave. Have a good night.”

“Alright, walk safe.” With a sigh, he watched as Yifan dragged himself towards the door. Once he left, Youngjae resumed back into cleaning. He looked up upon hearing the door opened. Thinking that it was Yifan, he spoke. “Just want in the world did you forget?”

“Pardon?”

Youngjae turned, a bit shocked that it was Zitao. He quickly apologized for his rude response. “W-What brings you here?”

Zitao hummed a bit before speaking. “I just want to...well, first, I want to apologize for not bringing my son in for the past couple weeks. And it was wrong of me to not notify the daycare about it. I must have worried you all. My parents were visiting me and Yitao and since they were at my place, Yitao would just be with them while I worked. Again, I’m sorry.”

“You did make us all worry,” Youngjae said bluntly, “but...I dunno, something inside me thought that you and Yitao would be okay,” he shrugged, “I have this weird trust in people it is ridiculous, but I was right!” He let out a chuckle. “Ah, um...what actually brings you here?”

“Well…”

With the sudden silence, Youngjae had a feeling that Zitao’s visit meant that he would want to pull out Yitao from the daycare. He could see it in Zitao’s expression that he was contemplating hard about the decision he was about to make. Youngjae spoke. “You know, I would just like to say that Yifan is a good person. Sure, he is a weirdo with a resting angry face and is late coming into work seven times and you are probably wondering why I haven’t fired his yet, but,” he said, taking a deep breath, “really, he is a good and hardworking man. As I said before, he loves children. He thinks of them as his own, and always make sure that they are okay and happy. I think he was just concerned with you walking home at night with Yitao. He is right...when he says that there are crazy people out in the streets. He was just concerned. So, please don’t see him in that creepy way.”

As Youngjae finished, Zitao couldn’t help, but smile. It was nice for an employer to defend his employee. “Actually, it was...about pulling Yitao out of the daycare because of Yifan...but…”

“But?”

“Hm...my son just enjoys being around him. He constantly cries because he can’t come here anymore,” he hummed, “but I just worry about his safety...being a parent and all.”

“I assure you that he would never do anything to harm or hurt your son. And I’m not saying this just to keep you using our daycare center. It is all up to you of course.”

“Right.”

“Had Yitao said anything you about Yifan?” Youngjae asked, now a bit curious.

“It is all positive things,” Zitao softly chuckled, “he enjoys being around him and it fills me with joy to see that my son is smiling.”

“The happiness of your child is the utmost importance, I understand that. At the same time, if you feel that you need to pull him out, again, it is up to you.” Youngjae said, giving a warm smile. “What would you want your decision to be?”

Zitao bit his lip, glancing down at the colorful, character designed floors of the daycare. With much thought, he looked right back up at Youngjae. “You trust your employees a lot, huh?”

“Well...I’m dating one.” He said in a frank tone.

“H-Hu?” ‘H-He is dating him?’

“Ah, no...it isn’t Yifan...if that is what you were worried about.”

“I-I wasn’t! I was shocked!” He replied with a sudden rosy tint on his face.

Youngjae raised his eyebrow, but laughed it off. “It is the other employee. He is my boyfriend...Daehyun.”

“Oh, that fellow.”

“Yup. I’m friends with Yifan because of Daehyun. The three of us have known each other for a long time, so I can say that Yifan is a trustworthy and ‘funny’,” he said making air quotes with his fingers, “man. Sometimes an idiot with an angry face, but a good man regardless.”  

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

It was the next morning, the daycare was open with children being dropped off as usual by their parents. The children played, but with weeks passed and no Yitao, the children were wondering where the other was. Baekyeol looked out the window, wondering if the day would be the day that Yitao would come back.

“He isn’t comin’.” Jongsoo said, also looking at the window.

“Do you think that he moved?” Baekyeol asked, which a shrug came from the other. “Hm...it was so sudden.”

“It was,” Jongsoo jumped off from the chair and placed his hands behind his head, “ah...oh well…”

“What are you two doing?” Yifan asked, crouching down at the children. “What’s outside?” He looked outside to see nothing, but rain pouring in. ‘Bleh...gloomy.’

“Yitao isn’t coming?” Baekyeol looked up, a bit sad that his friend wasn’t coming in today. "I miss him."

'Hm...' “Probably not.” ‘Haven’t seen him weeks...what makes today any different?’ “Let’s head over there everyone. We are going to watch a movie today.”

“Movie!!” Jongsoo beamed, running towards the play area to take his seat. Baekyeol sighed, and shimmied down from the chair and started to make his way over. Yifan patted him on the head, telling him not to worry. While he was getting the children settled, the door could be heard being opened. Yifan looked over his shoulder, seeing that it was Zitao and Yitao coming in.

Yitao beamed, waving happily at Yifan as he was being put down by the other. Youngjae grinned, welcoming him and the younger. Once Zitao signed him in, he thanked the other and quickly left. Youngjae glanced down at Yitao, “today we are having a movie day. So, hurry and hang your coat.”

“Okay!” Yitao rushed towards his cubby, putting his things away. Once he closed his cubby’s door, he made his way over to where the other children were. The other kids were surprised, yet happy to see that Yitao was back.

“Yitao!!” Baekyeol patted a space right next to him on the bean bag chair. “You’re here!”

“Un!” Yitao beamed, sharing a seat with the other. Baekyeol smiled softly before snuggling close.

Yifan made his way over, kneeling down behind Yitao. He patted him on the head. “Welcome back.”

The younger looked up, smiling brightly.

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

It was the end of the day, and most of the kids were already picked up by their parents. Just like before, Yifan would read a story for the younger while waiting for Zitao to pick him up after work. Daehyun and Youngjae cleaned up the area, putting away things and wiping tables. When 6 o’clock stuck the clock, the door opened and it was Zitao. He closed his umbrella, shaking his head a bit from the little droplets that he had.

“Good evening,” Youngjae said, “looks like the weather is nice.”

Zitao chuckled, “oh yeah.”

“Mama!!” Yitao waved his hand as he and Yifan just finished their story time.

“Hi, Yitao...you ready to head home?”

“Un.” The younger stood up, and helped pull Yifan get up from bean bag that he was sitting on. He then made his way over to his cubby, gathering his things before heading towards his mother on the front.

It was still a bit awkward for Yifan to be even around the other, that he quickly made his way to the employee lounge. He took off his apron and placed it back in his locker. ‘Should I head out now?’ He thought, putting on his raincoat and hat on. Checking himself in the mirror, he waiting for another good 5 minutes until he thought that it was okay to head out. ‘Surely, he left now.’ As he exited, he closed the door behind him, only to jump that Zitao and Yitao was still there, chatting away with Youngjae and Daehyun. ‘W-What do I do now? Should I just quickly leave?’

He decided to do just that. Yifan quickly made his out, saying ‘good work today’ as fast as he could, before being stopped by Zitao.

“Ah, you’re leaving?”

“U-Uh, yeah. I am.” Yifan said, nervously.

“Oh, great. Um, can ask you something.”

“S-Sure? What is it?” ‘I wonder what it is...is it something bad?’

“I was wondering if we can walk together.”

Taken back at the sudden request, he stared at him with questioning eyes. “P-Pardon?”

“Walking home together...you walk on the same path right?”

“I actually do...but my apartment complex is much closer than yours though.”

“That's fine. I just asked if we can walk home together.”

“Can we?” Yitao asked, looking at Yifan while holding his umbrella.

“S-Sure. I-If you don’t mind.”

Zitao smiled. “I don’t mind.”

“Yay!” Yitao went over and tugged on Yifan’s hand, leading him outside, but not before saying his goodbyes to the two daycare employees.

“Walk home safe you two.” Daehyun waved goodbye, smiling brightly. Zitao nodded his head, while Yifan said that he would take his leave first. The three started to head out in the pouring rain.

“No umbrella?” Zitao asked, opening his own.

“Nah...my coat has a hood anyway.” Yifan said, putting on his raincoat hood on. Just then, Zitao placed the umbrella over his head.

“I’ll share with you,” Zitao turned to Yitao, “open your umbrella and show Yifan.”

“Oh yeah!” Yitao opened his umbrella, revealing a cute panda design. “Pandas!”

“Wow, that is so cool! You like pandas huh?”

“Yeah...I like them. Let's go!!” Yitao pointed forward, now walking ahead of the two.

The walk was a bit awkward for Yifan, but he tried to ignore the umbrella sharing. To ease his mind, began to have a conversation with the other. Asking how he was and how he was doing with work, in which Zitao replied that everything was fine and his job was doing well. “If you don’t mind me asking,” Yifan started to say, “but who was looking after Yitao when he wasn’t at the daycare? Was his father looking after him?”

‘Hmpt, as if I would let him close to my son,’ Zitao thought with distaste, “erm...my parents visited and watched him when I was at work.”

“Ah, I see.”

They continued to walk, silent between them while Yitao splashed on the puddles on the sidewalk. A giggled escaped from the child’s lips, as he spun around in the rain, and eventually his coat’s hood fell back.

“Oop,” Yifan leaned over, letting the raindrops hit him. He quickly placed the hood back on the younger’s head, “don’t want you to get sick.”

“Thank you!” Yitao started to spin around once again, being careful that his hood wouldn’t fall back again.  

Once again they continued to walk, and soon were approaching Yifan’s apartment complex. He stopped and informed the other that this was his stop. Zitao looked at the apartment complex, raising his eyebrow. “You aren’t lying...are you?”

“N-No, this is actually my place. For real.” Yifan raised his hand as if he was in court, ready to be sworn in, “I swear.”

Zitao continued to stare at the other, but eventually burst out laughing. Yifan then in turn raised his eyebrow, confused as to what just happened. Zitao was being all nice towards him, even sharing an umbrella. “I don’t get it,” Yifan said, “why are you being nice towards me? Last time we talked...I knew that you saw me as some sort of creepo. No matter how I said it, it just brought back to the idea of me being a stalker. And for the record, I am not.”

“I know...I know...the more I thought about it...I see that you were coming from. And I do thank you for looking out for me and Yitao,” the younger then ran over, holding onto his mother’s hand, “it was just weird for me to hear that you were following us that it really freaked me out.”

“That was my bad...Youngjae did tell me not to do it anymore...I just ignored him. Honestly, I should have just told you...um,” Yifan sighed, rubbing the back of his neck, “again, I apologize.”

“It’s...it’s alright. Let's just forget about it, okay?”

“R-Right,” ‘yes please,’ “sounds good to me.” Yifan chuckled, “that would be great.”

“And instead of following us, you can walk right beside us.”

“Eh?” He blinked. ‘What does that mean?’

Zitao smiled softly, “I would be happy if we can walk together after your work,” he said, “sounds better than following us, right?”

“Most definitely,” Yifan nodded, feeling a bit happy that the other would give him another chance. After all, Zitao could have told him off and really pulled Yitao out of the daycare and placed him somewhere else. Instead he decided to put another chance. For that, Yifan was grateful. “I would gladly walk you guys home,” Yifan pointing down the sidewalk that led toward Zitao’s apartment complex, “I don’t mind walking a bit more. It’s dark and raining...so...”

“Huh? But --”

“I would feel at ease knowing that you and Yitao are home safe.” he gave an amiable smile that both warmed Zitao and Yitao together. Yitao went forward, grabbing Yifan’s hand.

“Thank you for walking with us.” He said, displaying a big smile on his face. He turned towards his mother, “right?”

Zitao looked away, nodding. “‘Es.” Covering his face with his hand.

“Great, here, let me hold onto the umbrella. Your hand must be tired.”

“Hu?”

Yifan grabbed the handle of the umbrella, holding it for the other. Zitao didn’t protest, but asked if it was really alright for him to do so. “Of course,” he responded, “why would it be a problem? You’ve been holding it for me the whole time. I just want to do the same.”

The rain then started to suddenly pour in, but thankfully the umbrella was big enough that not much of the droplets were on them. Yifan looked up a bit, “we should going, out of this rain.”

The two started to walk with Yitao in front of them leading the way. Zitao looked up, catching a small glimpse of the other. ‘Youngjae was right,’ he quickly looked down, wanting to hide his pink tinged cheeks, ‘he is a good guy.’

--- (TAORIS) --- (YITAO) --- (TAORIS) ---

End~

//pardon the mistake what not. thanks