Chapter 3

Clandestine (Hiatus)

Haera cracked an eye open to a blanket of orange. Fur tickled her nose and pushed Tink’s tail away.

“Fat cat,” she murmured. “Move.”  

Tink turned her head toward Haera, stared at her with her big green eyes, and looked away.

“Tink,” Haera said, blowing fur away from . “Get up.”

Her cat swatted her face with her tail again, making Haera sigh. She picked up her cell phone from the side table, turning so her cat would fall off on her own. The lock screen dissolved, directing her to the texts of the one person she didn’t want to talk to. Skimming over Yixing’s messages from last night, Haera closed her eyes and sighed.

‘Soojung has lunch with her friends for an hour or something after 1. Can you get Jongin to the cafeteria?’

‘Im not sure. Jongin doesn’t like going there.’

‘Why not?’

‘He just doesn’t like it.’

‘Youre going to have to bring him there if you want any progress in the coming days because Jung cant go out after university hours anymore.’

‘Why not?’

‘She just cant.’

‘I’ll see what I can do.’

“I’ll see what I can do.” Haera scoffed. “I’m so screwed.”

Her clammy feet left marks on the marble floor as she walked out of her room. Haera waited at the edge of the staircase, peering at the already lit space on the ground floor for a while before going to the bathroom. After almost burning herself under the shower, Haera came out with a damp towel around her shoulders. The ticking of the grandfather clock in their living room echoed the room as Haera walked past it to reach the kitchen. The first thing to grab her attention was the square of purple on the head of their silver fridge. Haera took the note in her hands, struggling to read the bad handwriting as Tink circled around her legs.

‘DON’T YOU DARE SKIP BREAKFAST’

Haera furrowed her brows. How did Chanyeol find out? The blotch of ink at the corner made her flip the note.

‘JONGIN TOLD ME’

 Groaning, she threw her head back before crumpling the paper and opening the fridge. A stack of three pancakes sat at the very front, next to a pack of brown bread. Looking between the two, Haera glanced down at her brother’s note. The look on Jongin’s face from yesterday nagged at her conscience and Haera picked up the plate with pancakes. Despite better judgment, Haera sat on the counter and picked up the first pancake. The honey oozed down her arm as she stuffed . By the empty doorframe, Haera imagined her mother. She would be standing with her arms crossed, shaking her head at her daughter’s inability to act like a lady. She would be so mad.

But she wasn’t here.

Appetite suddenly lost, Haera forced another pancake down before placing a plate over the last one and keeping it back into the fridge. Taking two steps at a time, Tink followed her owner upstairs but was locked outside when Haera went into her closet. She was passing her head through her shirt when her ringtone made her jump.

“It’s not like I’m waiting,” Jongin said, on call.

“Sorry!” Haera said, putting on a coat. “I’m almost there!” Haera opened the door, running past Tink to grab her backpack on her way to the stairs.

“I can hear Tinker meowing,” Jongin said. “You liar.”

Haera jumped down the last few steps, grabbing the keys to her car. “I’ll be there in five minutes!”

She hung up, locking the main door at the same time before she got into her car and drove out. Driving just below the speed limit, Haera managed to reach the university and find Jongin, all under half an hour.

“How many red lights did you cross?” Jongin asked, wide eyed as Haera ran toward him.

“None,” she said, trying to catch her breath. “I almost hit a dog, though.”

Jongin turned. “Are you serious?”

“No.”

“Good,” he said, zipping his jacket, “I would’ve disowned you otherwise.”

Jongin stumbled when Haera shoved him forward. “Shut up.”

Haera rubbed her hands together as they walked toward the building, flexing her frozen fingers. “I really didn’t feel like coming today.”

“You only have two classes,” Jongin said, glancing at her in disbelief.

“Exactly!” Haera threw her arms up. “Just two classes!”

Jongin stopped. “You didn’t even want to come for me?” Frowning, he faked a sob. “I thought we were best friends.”

Haera narrowed her eyes. “Why do you think I’m here, doofus.”

Jongin proceeded to shed invisible tears, making Haera shake her head. As they reached the door, an anonymous urge made her take a look at the snow covered ground. Confused by her action, Haera walked inside with Jongin.

“Did you eat today?” Jongin asked, inserting his hands into his pockets.

Food. Haera took in a sharp exhale – she still hadn’t figured out how to get Jongin to the cafeteria. “Thanks to your tip, Chanyeol made pancakes before he left,” she said, giving him a sarcastic smile. “Had two.”

Jongin smiled with a bright glint in his eyes before looking forward. They parted at the intersecting corridors, waving at each other as they went to their classes. Once Haera realized that their professor hadn’t arrived, an innocent prayer for the teacher’s absence left her lips as she jogged up the stairs to her usual spot. The seat behind was still unoccupied, making Haera wonder whether her one and only friend had decided to ditch her for the sake of sleep. But she had bigger things to worry about –she had to work on getting Jongin to the cafeteria. But how? Spinning her ballpoint, Haera massaged the front of her head with her free hand.

“I can’t believe Marco Polo went to the moon,” Jongdae said as he stood next to her seat.

Startled by the volume, Haera’s pen slipped from her fingers. “What?”

“How come no one ever talks about that?” Jongdae rhetorically asked as he settled into his seat. “All we hear about is Neil Armstrong but my man Marco is only known as the dude who went on a bombastic journey to Asia.”

Haera gaped like a fish. “Jongdae, what are you talking about?”

“The entire conspiracy!” Jongdae jumped. “I’m betting the Americans shushed the whole thing down to get credit. I just know it!” He leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. “They never let the world know because Polo was Venetian, not American.”

The cobs in Haera’s head failed to turn. “Hold on a second,” she said, turning in her seat. “You do know that the time when Marco Polo was alive was ages before the Moon Landing, right? And that America wasn’t even in existence during his time?”

Jongdae’s face resembled that of a sour patch baby. “It wasn’t?”

Haera hummed in reply. “He died more than 300 years before.”

Jongdae looked to a side, mumbling something in his mouth as he counted on his fingers. Haera’s comment – along with her hope for a free period – died the moment the projector clicked on. With a loud sigh, Haera took out her books, but the lecture started, Haera wondered exactly how she was planning on getting Jongin to the cafeteria. Her predicament made her think about her conversation with Yixing last night. The reminder made her put her phone on silent before she reached for a pen.

Haera’s ballpoint circled her fingers like Sonic the hedgehog as she bit her thumb nail. What was she going to say? Jongin would never refuse if she asked, but how could she take him somewhere he doesn’t even want to be? She couldn’t be that selfish. But she wasn’t being selfish, was she? She wasn’t doing this for herself – it’s for Jongin. Haera rolled her shoulders as their professor talked about the psychology of time. She could do this; she had an entire lecture to figure it out.

“Wikipedia says that Marco Polo was dead when they went to the moon.”

Or maybe not.

When Haera blinked, students were already piling out of the room. She looked around, stunned.

“No wonder they tell us not to cite that damn encyclopedia in assignments,” Jongdae said, zipping his satchel. “You’re not leaving?”

Haera stared at the page of her bland notebook and felt hope squeeze out of her. The lecture… gone, without any clue about what she was going to say to Jongin. Haera threw her books into her bag and dragged her steps behind Jongdae down the stairs.

“But if I take what you said into consideration then Marco Polo should, logically, be dead by then,” Jongdae said, shaking his head. “This is so messed up.”

“Who told you all this?” Haera went down two steps in one go. There was a buzz in her pocket.

“I was watching a documentary on History channel last night.”

“How night?”

“‘Three-in-the-morning’ night.” Jongdae nodded.

Almost by the door, Haera grabbed Jongdae’s arm. “You watched that Marco Polo went to the moon with the Americans in Apollo 13 at 3 a.m. on a weekday?”

“Yes!” The light in Jongdae’s expression flickered. “Wait. What? What’s Apollo 13?”

Haera arched a brow. “The spaceship in which they went to the moon,” she deadpanned. “‘Huston we have a problem’?” Jongdae looked like he’d just lost his last jellybean.

“Then what was—” A look of realization flashed his face. Jongdae cupped his mouth. “Oh, my God.”

“What?” Haera asked, smiling – she knew that look.

“This is too embarrassing to even say out loud,” Jongdae said, taking a step back.

Haera’s phone vibrated with a call but she kept her gaze ahead. Flushed, Jongdae said, “I mixed Apollo 13 with MarkOne.”

“MarkOne?” Haera tilted her head.

And then it clicked.

Mark. Apollo. Marco Polo.

“Oh,” she said, letting go of Jongdae’s sleeve. “Wow.”

Jongdae closed his eyes. “My brother was watching Star Wars on his laptop next to me.” He rubbed his eyes. “I want you to promise we won’t mention this ever again.”

Haera snorted. “I can’t believe this.” Fits of giggles shook her body. The phone in her pocket continued to vibrate. Haera clutched onto her knees, her eyes screwed shut as she laughed. Jongdae’s voice broke with a chuckle of his own. “I’m serious.”

Haera held up a finger, unable to speak until she managed to straighten. She tried to suppress the wide smile plastering her face. “I’m sorry.”

“Stop smiling,” Jongdae said, the sides of his lips twitching.

“I can’t.”

“Stop it.”

Haera covered with her hand. Composure came when Haera’s phone vibrated again, bringing her primary issue back into perspective.

“Jongdae, I need your help,” she said, taking out her phone.

“Only if you promise you won’t mention what just happened to anyone,” Jongdae said, crossing his arms.

“I won’ tell anyone,” Haera promised.

“Good.”

“Except Jongin.”

Haera smiled. Jongdae sighed.

A quick glance at her glowing phone screen showed several missed calls from the same person – Yixing. Biting her lip, Haera was just about to talk when Jongin stepped inside their classroom.

As Jongin sprouted apologies for bumping into people, Jongdae turned to Haera. “Please tell him after I’ve left,” he said, his hands clasped for mercy and his eyes crinkling into frowns. Haera couldn’t respond. Her fingers curled around the strap of her bag, taking deep breaths as Jongin walked over – she still had no plan.

Haera shifted as Jongin and Jongdae exchanged greetings, going about their usual small talk. Her phone screen lit with another message.

Coming?

Haera bit the side of her lip. She glanced up at Jongin, and then to Jongdae, before swiping her phone open.

Cant today

Releasing a sharp breath, she was about to put her phone in her pocket before it buzzed again.

What happened?

She locked the phone and slipped it into her coat’s pocket.

“It’s an innocent mistake,” Jongdae said. “Can happen to anybody.”

“You’re right.” Jongin nodded with a ghost of a smile. “I understand.”

The corners of Jongdae’s lips twitched. “You’re a lot nicer than her,” he said, pointing at Haera.

Jongin laughed.

“We get that a lot,” Haera said. “But now you see how Marco Polo went to the moon, don’t you, Jongin?”

Pursing his lips, Jongin glanced at Jongdae.

“You dare being so sinister?” Jongdae narrowed his eyes.

“It’s a deluxe package,” Jongin added, putting his hands in his pockets. Haera flipped her hair off of her shoulder.

“Ah!” Jongdae snapped. “You wanted my help?”

Haera blinked a few times, glancing from Jongin to Jongdae, before shaking her head. “No, it’s fine. I’ll work it out.”

“You sure?” he asked. “What was it?”

“Just the end of term assignment,” she said, waving a hand. “I realized you hadn’t even started yours.”

Jongdae gasped. “How dare you?”

Jongin’s eyes twitched as he snickered. Haera looked from him to Jongdae.

“You know what?” Jongdae said, “I’m too hungry to deal with your evil right now. I’m going to the cafeteria.” Tugging his satchel, Jongdae made a dramatic turn and started walking away.

“See you in CP!” Haera shouted. He walked out without turning.

“Was I out of line?” Jongin asked, watching Jongdae walk down the corridor.

“He would’ve said so if you were,” Haera said. “What’s with you?”

Jongin raised his brows. “Me? Nothing.”

“You’re leaning to your right,” Haera said, taking a step back. “Is your back acting up again?”

Jongin shrugged with a shake of his head. “I just hit the edge of a table, it’s not that bad.”

Haera stared at his side profile, waiting for any indication of pain but Jongin didn’t wince. Nodding, she glanced at his back once before they headed toward the stairs. While Jongin went on an obvious lecture about the importance of not skipping food, Haera glanced around the corridor, hoping to catch a glimpse of someone. She frowned – who was she even searching for? She knew Chanyeol would be in a staff meeting, so would Baekhyun; Jongdae was going to the cafeteria and he was the last person she cared enough to look for. Shaking her head, Haera took a deep breath. A blur of blond flashed before her eyes, making her breath hitch.

She shouldn’t be thinking about him.

“Haera?” Jongin called, making her stop.

Jongin stood on the bottom of the staircase. Haera didn’t realize she was halfway up already.

“Yeah?” She came down a few steps. Glancing at his waist, she asked, “Everything okay?”

Jongin smiled. “I’m fine, Dr.,” he said, the corners of his lips turning down a little. “I was thinking maybe we should eat somewhere different today.”

Haera raised her brows. “That works.” She jumped to stand in front of him, her bag bouncing on her shoulders. “Where do you wanna go?”

Jongin took a moment. “I was thinking about going to the cafeteria.”

Haera straightened, more surprised at the suggestion than the crazy coincidence.

 Jongin refused to meet her gaze.

“We can go,” she said, readjusting her bag. “If you’re comfortable with it.”

“It’ll be okay.” Jongin gave her too big of a smile. “I guess.”

Haera kept herself from narrowing her eyes and nodded. The shock remained with her during the route to the cafeteria. At least now she won’t have to explain to Jongin why she didn’t bring lunch. Their slow steps amidst the quick crowd set them apart on the semi-familiar path.

Haera took out her phone from her coat, glancing at Jongin before opening her texts.

Change of plans. We’re coming.

A little ‘read’ appeared under the message instantly, making Haera raise a brow. Locking her phone, she slipped it into her pockets again.

Haera cleared . “What made you want to go?”

Jongin shrugged. “I thought maybe it wouldn’t be that bad. Besides, we couldn’t eat in the classes forever.”

Haera’s phone buzzed. “I don’t mind classrooms.”

Jongin made a sound of approval. Haera’s phone vibrated again.

The doors of the cafeteria greeted them as they turned the corner, entering after students into the large room they had remained away from for more than a year.

“I forgot you could fit so many people into a tiny room at the same time,” she said, glancing around with an open mouth.

Jonging played with his fingers, his neck starting to turn a light shade of pink. Haera turned to face him but he kept his gaze frozen ahead of him.

“We can go,” Haera said as Jongin pressed his thumbnail into his middle finger. “You don’t have to do this.”

Jongin gulped. “I made a promise.”

Haera’s brows furrowed. “What promise?”

Jongin blinked several times before breaking his gaze away from the crowd. “I met that guy from yesterday,” he said. “The one we thought was Soojung’s boyfriend.”

Haera couldn’t help the gasp that escaped her lips.

Jongin bit his lip. “He apologized—”

“What for?” Haera cut in.

“For leaving suddenly,” Jongin said, giving her a weird look. “He said they felt bad and they wanted to make up for it and suggested we meet for lunch and I—”

“You couldn’t say no,” Haera completed. Her hands went to her head, her fingers tangling in her hair. “My God, Jongin!”

Haera’s phone felt like a rock in her pocket as it buzzed again – she wanted to throw it at Yixing’s head.

Jongin’s fingers meddled with the zip of his jacket as he gazed around the room. His chest heaved as he took deep breaths.

“We can go,” Haera said. “You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.”

“I told him we’d come,” Jongin said, looking at her.

“You don’t have to,” she repeated.

Jongin his dry lips. “I want to.” He pursed his lips. “You’ve always told me to work on my fears. I want to give this a shot.”

Jongin’s eyes were wide but his jaw was set –Haera couldn’t argue with him.

Haera felt sick, not just because of the anxiety building up in her chest, but because of the stench of sweet perfumes mixing with the aroma of food. The last time she had stepped in there was more a year ago. Things seemed to be the same as before.

 “Oh, hey,” Jongin said, his voice a pitch higher. “We were looking for you.”

Haera froze. Footsteps approached them.

“I just saw you guys coming in,” Yixing said. Haera screwed her eyes close.

“Where’s your friend?” Yixing asked.

Jongin’s hand brushed over Haera’s shoulder. “Right here.”

Haera huffed, forcing her neck to remain straight as she plastered a smile. Yixing didn’t even look at her.

“I’ll lead you to our table,” Yixing said, walking past Haera. Jongin grabbed her sleeve, tugging her along as they followed Yixing through the jungle of tables. Soojung stood next to one, chatting away with one of her friends when they came over.

“Jongin,” Yixing said, pushing the boy in a seat. “How about you sit while your friend and I go grab some food?” He turned to Soojung. “Don’t let him get bored. We’ll be right back.”

Haera could only watch the way Jongin paled when Yixing pulled her away. He took a step, but Soojung tapped his shoulder, and the last of what Haera saw were her best friend’s raised brows and his pink neck. Yixing’s fingers pinched around her suede coat as he dragged her toward the food line.

“I sent you a thousand messages,” Yixing said, letting go of her sleeve. His back faced her as he handed her a large metal tray. Haera’s distorted reflection in the compartments stared at her, chewing on her bottom lip.

“What did you say to him?” she asked, falling in line behind Yixing.

“I only asked him to join us for lunch.” Yixing slid his tray across the counter. “I thought it would give you a reason to sit with us once you came.”

The lady in the apron called for her attention, gesturing toward the stacks of hot dogs. Haera shook her head, pointing at the salad next to them, instead.

“We weren’t going to come,” she said as the lady scooped the greens into a small section. “He came because you asked him to.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Yixing shrugged. “You wouldn’t be here otherwise.”

A pungent smell of something sour suddenly roamed around her – it was coming from the pasta. The old man serving held up his wooden spoon, mounted with herbed sauce and swirly pasta. It made Haera gulp. Throwing a glance at Yixing, she rejected the offer and moved forward. The whiff of seasoned tomato sauce made water but she kept her head down. Haera bumped her forehead into Yixing’s back but he didn’t turn around.

A mix of yellow and red flashed before her eyes and her grip around her tray tightened. A bitter flavor bathing her tongue as she said, “You don’t get it, do you?”

 Still straight, he turned his head to her. “Huh?”

Haera caged her tongue behind her clenched teeth. She couldn’t repeat it, or else she’d have to explain herself. “You’re not getting anything?”

Yixing faced the front again and asked for the same dish that was creating a puddle in Haera’s mouth. As the viscous sauce dripped off the spoon onto his tray, Haera remembered exactly how they became friends in the first place – they matched.

‘Bull’, she thought, before turning to look for Jongin.

“So, what’s the plan?” Yixing picked up two breadsticks from the basket at the end of the line. Haera kept her gaze fixated on the dressing frozen between the crevices of a salad leaf.

She couldn’t say ‘I don’t know’ – that would make her sound unorganized. “The first session is supposed to be simple,” she said, narrowing her eyes in contemplation. “We just have to make sure the conversation keeps going.”

A plastic fork clattered onto her tray. “Good enough,” Yixing said. Haera stepped aside as people walked past her, extremely aware of Yixing’s stare on her.

“That’s all you’re eating?”

“I had a heavy breakfast,” she said.

Yixing nodded. “Cool,” he said, making Haera release a breath she didn’t know she was holding. “Let’s go.”

He started walking ahead, Haera just behind him. She stepped over spilled juice when Yixing stopped and bolted back to the food line shouting, “I almost forgot!”

Contrary to her expectation, Yixing’s announcement hadn’t garnered any attention. Haera stood with her legs crossed, her gaze gliding across the room – it was still the same. The beige walls were a tone too dark and the lights weren’t bright enough. A painting of what Haera thought looked like a giant potato with lip fillers hung at one corner with similar alternative versions around the room. On the table next to the hideous painting sat a familiar figure – Haera had to stare for a moment to realize it was Jongdae. She turned away, fearing he might see her, though there was no way he’d even expect her to be here to begin with. Haera could already imagine his whining if he saw her.

“I forgot drinks,” Yixing said, cradling three water bottles in one arm. Haera almost reached out to take one but decided against it – he should be able to handle it. She followed after him, holding her tray a bit higher as she squirmed through the narrow path, hopping over legs and laces. A bottle slipped from under Yixing’s arm and Haera reached down to pick it up, straightening to find Jongin’s tense back right in front of her.

Stepping ahead, Haera reached the table before Yixing, her gaze fixated on the empty spot where Soojung was supposed to be.  Haera’s fingers curled around the tray. Jongin tugged it away.

“Where’s Jung?” Yixing asked, coming up behind her. Haera turned to Jongin, raising a brow with the same question.

“A friend of hers wanted to talk,” Jongin said, patting the seat next to him. Haera took it without a word.

“She doesn’t usually do this,” Yixing said, his brows pinching together as he stood next to a seat opposite them. He placed his tray and bottles on the table, putting his hands on his hips as he searched the cafeteria.

Jongin clenched and unclenched his fists under the table, wiping his palms on his knees once in a while. A rock settled on Haera’s chest as she watched her best friend. “I shouldn’t have left,” she said in a low voice. “I’m sorry. We can go if you want.”

Jongin shook his head. “It’s not that bad, Haera.” He gave her a small smile. “It’s getting better, actually.”

Haera paused, her stare darting from his hands to his face. “You really don’t have to do this.”

“Stop worrying or you’ll get frown lines,” Jongin said, his warm hand pressing her forehead.

Yixing slid the tray toward Jongin, shaking his head as Soojung’s figure approached them from a distance. “This is for you.”

The realization that Haera forgot to get Jongin a tray at her guilt. It felt even worse that Yixing had remembered while Haera herself didn’t. Jongin blinked several times, looking from Yixing to the steaming pasta in front of him. “Thank you,” he said, sliding his tray closer with a ghost of a smile on his face. Haera couldn’t bring herself to look at him.

When Soojung joined them at the table, Haera had tuned her out. Soojung’s apologies for her departure were overridden by the tiny voice in Haera’s head saying, “you at being a good friend.”

It screamed when Haera felt a soft kick on her leg, breaking her out of her loop. The corner of Yixing’s mouth twitched when Haera caught his gaze across the table.

“—she’s a soccer player so she doesn’t have much time,” Soojung explained, shaking her head. “I’m so sorry. It was extremely rude to leave you like that.”

Whatever the story was before that, Haera had no clue. She’ll just ask Jongin later.

“It’s okay,” Jongin said, keeping his head down and only raising it for an awkward smile. Haera, deciding it was better to remain quiet, poked an olive around before stabbing a salad leaf and putting it into . The first crunch rang in her ears as the plastic flavored dressing hit her tongue. The leaf slipped around in and Haera chewed it again, only to worsen the taste. Her eyes watered as she held her urge to gag until Soojung gave her a tissue to spit it out.

“What happened?” Soojung asked, her expression shrunk with concern.

Haera catered the pool of bitter saliva in , unable to take it in and reluctant to spit it out. Jongin reached for a leaf, taking a large bite before Haera could stop him. He spat it out in his hand the next second.

“Oh, man,” Jongin said, grimacing, “that’s bad.” He shuddered, and watching him, Haera did, too. She pushed her tray away and begrudgingly gulped. She uncapped one of the bottles, taking large gulps until her head hurt from the cold.

“It tastes like fried plastic if that’s even possible,” Haera managed to say, her face still contorted with disgust.  

“Here,” Jongin offered, “have some of mine.”

Haera shook her head, the taste still rolling on her tongue. “I’m not hungry anymore.”

“We can get you something else,” Soojung offered, prepared to get up. “I know what’s good here.”

“It’s fine,” Haera said, waving a hand. “I wasn’t that hungry, anyway.” Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Jongin staring at her.

“We can share,” Jongin said, bringing his tray in the middle.

Haera glanced at it. “I’m really not hungry,” she said.

“You said that yesterday, too,” Jongin pointed out. He raised his brows, unblinking as he waited for her to respond. Haera knew what he was going to say next, so she picked up her fork before he could say it and stabbed a mushroom in his tray. The sauce was nowhere near the taste she had imagined but it was a warm welcome compared to the synthetic salad.

“I’ll just take some from him,” Haera said, picking up the breadstick and breaking it in half. She chewed on the soft bread – the only thing that tasted the best in her opinion – and held out the other half to Jongin.

“Well, then,” Soojung said, glancing at Yixing who sat with folded hands. “What are your majors?” Soojung leaned forward. “I’m in Designing.”

“Performing Arts,” Yixing said, taking out his phone.

“Really?” Jongin’s eyes sparkled. “That’s so cool,” he said, in awe. A small smile grew on Haera’s face, followed by a kick of distress.

Yixing looked up, his brows raised. “Thanks.” The smile Yixing gave Jongin was the first she had seen from him, ever. Though she had noticed a subtle depression in his cheeks when he spoke to her in the past few days, she didn’t know he had full dimples. Did his eyes always light up when he smiled like that?

Haera didn’t know – it was over long before she could find out.

“How about you?” Yixing asked Jongin.

Her best friend shifted in his seat, his color of excitement gone. “Business and Marketing.”

Soojung nodded. “That’s very professional,” she said, smiling. Haera didn’t have to see Jongin to know how red his face would be right now. Jongin shrugged, giving an awkward chuckle and ducked his head.

“Psychology,” Haera said when they turned to her.

Yixing’s response ended with a, “nice”, before he went back to his phone. Soojung looked more enthusiastic.

“I have a cousin who’s a psychology major!”

An image of Baekhyun swatting Chanyeol on the head with their notes flashed before her eyes. Haera grinned. “Byun Baekhyun.”

Soojung gasped. “You know him?”

“He’s my brother’s best friend,” Haera said, digging her fork into the saucy pasta.

Soojung’s jaw looked like it could hit the floor. “You’re Park Chanyeol’s sister?”

Haera gave her a one shoulder shrug. “Yeap.”

Soojung let out a breathy laugh before she turned to Yixing to exclaim her disbelief. Haera took the opportunity to check on Jongin. Her best friend stole glances of Soojung with an unexpected calm.

“Wow.” Soojung shook her head. “Small world, huh?”

Haera threw Yixing a glance. He wasn’t looking.

“Sure is.”

The conversation that followed, in Haera’s opinion, was pleasant small talk. They shared the specifics of their academics and how they were coping. Jongin’s inputs were more frequent than Haera had imagined. Every time Jongin said something, a mini Haera cheerleader danced inside her head, screaming ‘It’s actually working!’ Haera tried not to focus on Yixing’s lacking input – his didn’t eat or even drink, only speaking when addressed. Soojung would wave at someone every now and then, but when one of the waves turned into a greeting, everyone at the table looked up.

Haera recognized the newcomer. The revolting taste of the leaf returned, stronger this time. Jongin looked like he had turned to stone. Haera played with her fork as Soojung conversed with the girl, adamant not to make eye contact. When the girl asked if she could join their table, Haera had to bite her tongue to keep shut and only hoped Soojung wouldn’t let it happen.

But Soojung was nice. Haera should’ve seen that coming.

“Guys,” Soojung began, “this is my friend Nayoung.”

Haera didn’t reply to Nayoung’s greeting, neither did she raise her head to even acknowledge she was there. From Nayoung’s continuous giggling, Haera didn’t think she bothered, anyway. She arched a brow when Nayoung dragged her chair next to Jongin.

“Hi!” Nayoung said, looking at Jongin. “First time seeing you here!”

Jongin’s fingers curled around his knee, his nails scraping the fabric. Haera frowned.

“Just…wanted to try something different,” he said, looking around.

“It’s so hard to catch even a glimpse of you outside class. I’ve been looking all over.”

Jongin replied with a forced chuckle. His grip on his knee weakened when Soojung distracted Nayoung’s attention. Jongin’s tense shoulders made Haera feel uncomfortable. Yixing observed the exchange between Nayoung and his best friend with a thoughtful expression before meeting Haera’s gaze. Their brows furrowed at the same time and the coincidence was enough to heighten Haera’s pulse rate. After a sharp exhale, she tapped Jongin’s hand.

“Switch?” she whispered.

Jongin didn’t even nod when he stood up and exchanged places with her.

“Is something wrong?” Nayoung asked as Jongin settled into his new seat.

“Everything’s fine,” Haera said, giving her a lopsided smile.

Nayoung tilted her head at Haera before snapping her fingers. “I know you! I saw you with Jongin last time.”

Haera strained her lips to keep her from making any comments. As Nayoung recounted yesterday’s incident, the task was becoming exceedingly difficult.

“Did you use it Jongin?” Nayoung asked, leaning to a side. “I’m guessing you did. You’re already a shade lighter.”

Jongin flushed, his hands locking into each other under the table. Haera’s fists trembled as her glare burned into the table. She turned to Jongin, raising a brow – does he still expect her to remain quiet?

“What do you mean?” Soojung asked, confusion riddling her face as she glanced between the three people on the table.

“How did you and Nayoung become friends, Soojung?” Yixing asked, straightening in his chair.

Soojung turned to him. “Events club.”

“I gave Jongin a homemade cream,” Nayoung said, with an outstretched smile.

Haera’s nails dug into her palms. “How do you know Jongin, exactly?” she asked, her tone terse. “Because I’d know you if you were friends.”

Soojung inched away, glancing at Yixing who remained unmoving. Nayoung opened but nothing came out. A warm hand wrapped around Haera’s own – a plea for her to stop. She shouldn’t look at Jongin. She wouldn’t look at Jongin.

But she did.

Huffing, Haera got up. The aggressive scraping of her chair made Soojung flinch while Yixing watched Haera tower over the rest. With his hand still on hers, Jongin followed suit. Nayoung stared at their hands before moving to their faces, agape.

“Thank you for today, Soojung,” Haera said. “I’m afraid we’ll have to leave now.”

Yixing locked Haera’s gaze as she hung her bag over her shoulder, only breaking when she changed directions to walk away. Jongin shoved his hands into his pockets, keeping his head down as he allowed Haera to navigate him out of his hell hole.

“How’s your breathing?” Haera asked, walking toward the ugly portrait.

“Could’ve been worse,” Jongin said.

“She was really going to get it this time.” Haera shook her head. “If Soojung and Yixing hadn’t been there, I swear—”

“It’s over now,” Jongin said, “please, let’s not talk about that anymore.”

Haera couldn’t tell if the tremble in Jongin’s voice was real or in her head. The image of Nayoung handing him the cream flashed before her again, followed by Jongin’s shaky hands. Exactly how many stunts had this girl even pulled that made Jongin so nervous?

Haera wanted to ask him, but that wasn’t what Jongin needed at the moment.

She took her bag off of her shoulder. “Mind if we sit with you?”

Jongdae spat his orange drink. “What in the sweet name of Pavlov are you doing here?”

“Was that a pun?” asked the blond boy next to Jongdae. Haera tilted her head – the boy looked familiar.

“Pavlova is a sweet dish,” Jongdae said, through grit teeth. “Pavlov was a Russian psychologist, Sehun.”

“I know,” Sehun said, clicking his tongue. “Always flaunting.”

Jongdae closed his eyes and heaved a sigh. “Yes, Haera, you guys can sit here.”

Her bag hit the chair as she threw it, dropping into the seat like a rock. Jongin sat next to her, a hint of pink still on his neck.

“Is everything okay?” Jongdae asked. “You look like you’re going pounce.”

Haera waved a hand, sighing. Jongdae stared for a moment before nodding. “What brings you guys out of the cave?”

“Curiosity,” Haera said, glancing at Jongin. He was looking at Sehun. “Is he the neighbor you always mention?”

“You talk about me?” Sehun smiled, picking up a spoon.

 Jongdae pursed his lips. “I don’t always mention him.”

“You’re a girl,” Sehun said, pointing at plastic spoon at Haera. “Then you must be the pen spinning chick Jongdae always talks about?”

Haera’s fist slackened as she raised her brows with an amused twitch of her lips. She propped her arm on the table. “Pen spinning,” she said, resting her chin on her palm. “Nice.”

Jongdae groaned with his head between his hands. “Haera, this is Oh Sehun. Sehun, Park Haera.” He raised his head, nodding toward Jongin. “That’s Kim Jongin.”

“We’ve met before,” Jongin said, his gaze flicking from Jongdae to Sehun.

The blond tilted his head. “Have we?”

“Yes?” Jongin leaned back. “We’re in Marketing together.” He paused for a moment, studying Sehun’s expression. “You sit next to me.”

Sehun narrowed his eyes as he tapped his spoon on his beans. A flash of recognition struck his face and his eyes widened. “You’re the ink guy!”

Haera straightened, staring at Sehun with wide eyes before she turned to Jongin. Jongdae dropped his croissant. Tapping the table to grab Haera’s attention, he mouthed with wide eyes, ‘That was him?’ Haera nodded. Jongdae bit his lip.

Jongin looked to his hands. “It was a stupid mistake,” he said, his voice small.

Sehun shook his head with a frown. “I know, man.” He scooped a spoonful of beans into his mouth. “I hope these brats aren’t picking on you.”

Jongin didn’t respond, opting to play with his fingers instead. His reaction made Haera sit up – was Jongin being bullied again? The longer Haera stared at him, the more Jongin shifted in his seat. She looked away; keeping her gaze fixed on Jongdae’s half eaten croissant.

Jongdae shrank in his seat. “So, you two are in the same class?”

Sehun rolled his sleeves, bringing his arms up as he reached over to place them on Jongin’s shoulders. “Don’t you worry, buddy. I got your back,” he said, giving him a toothy smile. “The next time someone pulls something, start laughing. Always works for me.”

It could be the lighting, but Haera thought she saw Jongin’s eyes glaze over. “Thank you,” he said, his tone deep as a corner of his lips curling.

“Sehun.” Jongdae sighed. “Stop freaking him out.” He pulled Sehun’s shirt, making the blond sit back down. “I’m sorry. I have to baby sit an overgrown baby.”

Sehun’s jaw dropped open. “At least I didn’t poke my eye with a flying pen.”

“It slipped!”

“Did it?” Sehun challenged, squinting his eyes at him.

Haera snickered at Jongdae’s silence as he took a large bite out of his pastry. Sehun continued with his beans, and Haera took that moment to admire the calmness of Jongin’s expression. His neck was no longer pink.

Sehun paused amidst his exaggerate imitations of Jongdae and dropped his spoon. Haera raised a brow as his gaze shot from her to Jongin and then over their heads. “Don’t look now, but I think the inkee is looking at us.”

“Huh?” Jongdae looked up, chewing. His expression mirrored Sehun’s a moment later. “Guys, she has a dude with her, too.”

Haera furrowed her brows. “What?”

“Does she want to beat you up?” Sehun turned to Jongin, his eyes wide. “We won’t let that happen.”

“Yeah.” Jongdae nodded. “We won’t,” he said, tapping his foot under the table.

Jongdae made a face but before Haera could turn to look, a pair of chairs had already been pulled next to them. Soojung sat next to Jongin, rendering the wide eyed boy unable to react. Haera’s hair whipped Yixing’s face when she turned, a bit more enthusiastic than expected. Yixing rubbed his cheek, nodding at a stunned Jongdae and skeptical Sehun – none of them replied.

“I can’t even begin to explain how sorry I am,” Soojung said, facing Jongin. “I flipped out when she told me. If I had known I would’ve never invited her to join. Jongin, I’m so sorry.”

Jongin sat up. “You don’t have to apologize, really.” He shook his head, staring at her clasped hands. “No one’s at fault here.”

“Except for that insensitive—”

“Haera.”

“What,” Haera said. Scoffing, she crossed her arms and looked to the other side. Haera faced Yixing, grabbing his gaze for a moment before she realized what was happening. She turned away again, glaring at Jongdae instead. The clueless boy shrugged defensively.

“She’s right,” Yixing said. Haera peeked at him from the corner of her eye. “That girl should’ve known better.”

Jongin ran his tongue over his lips. “I’m not comfortable talking about this,” he said, taking a deep breath. Haera intertwined her finger as no one spoke a word – the only sound they made was of Sehun’s spoon hitting the metal plate. Haera’s phone vibrated in her pocket and she took it out. It was a reminder.

“I’m Kim Jongdae.” They all looked up. “Nice to meet you,” Jongdae said, giving them a wide smile. Jongdae’s introduction was followed by Sehun’s, leading to Soojung and then Yixing. Haera and Jongin watched as the others exchanged pleasantries, not making any contribution of the sorts.

“I’ve never sat with so many girls before,” Jongdae confessed with a goofy smile, making Sehun scoff.

“Good for you,” Haera cheered, sitting straight. “Let’s celebrate by attending Child Psychology!”

Jongdae checked his watch, his eyes widening as he shoved the rest of his croissant into his mouth and grabbed his satchel. Haera grabbed her bag, patting Jongin’s back as she threw it over her shoulder. “See you later.”

Jongin sent her a weak wave and a half smile. Jongdae saluted everyone at the table – one by one – before poking Haera’s arm to go. As they made their way through the tables, Haera took a look back. Yixing had moved next to Jongin while Soojung sat with Sehun. Through the other tens of faces in the room, Sehun managed to catch her eye. He gave her a smile and a tiny nod, turning back to the table to start a conversation. Whatever he had said made everyone laugh, including Jongin.

Haera smiled. She wasn’t leaving Jongin alone.