Y. Yeonju

MJY1: Jetáime

"Ju, how longer are we studying?" Mihyun rested her cheek on her arm on the table and pouted at her bestfriend, Yoo Yeonju. Yeonju takes her glasses off and smiles at Mihyun.

 

"I'm not sure Mihyun. Maybe you can go after you memorize all of these?" She points at all the notes they've been taking since an hour ago. Mihyun sighed. 

 

"That's booooring. Come on, let's just play." Yeonju blushed when Mihyun held her hand, persuading her to come. She can't resist the girl. Mihyun is especially cute at times like this. 

 

"Ehh, why are you so red? Fine, I'll just play by myself don't be angry at me." Mihyun pulled away from the table and when to the corner of the room to play with her nintendo. Whenever Yeonju asks her why she has to go there to play, she'd answer that she doesn't want to bother Yeonju studying. 

 

Middle school, Yeonju has seen a lot of romantic episodes in their school, some of them are even from her classmates. Staring at Mihyun, she's reminded of her little crush towards the girl. They're bestfriends.. but Yeonju couldn't deny how she always saw Mihyun as a potential lover. She can't help it because the girl is always there giving her attention and care for her. Mihyun is famous in their town for being that kid who likes dancing a lot. That's another factor how Yeonju finds Mihyun amazing. 

 

Yooa woke up and Mihyun was leaning against her shoulder. How can she not develop feelings towards the other girl?

 

"Mihyun.."

 

"hm.. 5 more minutes."

 

"I like you, Mihyun." She confessed one day before they finished the semester. She and Mihyun are in the classroom and stayed after dismissal and Yeonju decided to talk about this. Mihyun scratched her eyes and stared at her. Yeonju couldn't read her expression. 

 

"I like you too, you're my bestfriend, Ju." Mihyun answered after a minute or two. Yeonju had expected this. It's not like she hasn't seen dramas with this context before. But still, she smiled, knowing she was rejected. She just hoped this wouldn't ruin their friendship. 

 

And it did. Unfortunately, after that day, Mihyun didn't talk to her anymore.. and Yeonju didn't approach the other girl either. Maybe she couldn't handle the fact that her feelings are one-sided.. unrequited. 

 

Still, Yeonju's life continued. She attended another school from where Mihyun was admitted. She decided to just avoid the other girl. That way, it'll be easier for them. Mihyun always told her before that she's too shy all the time that's why she scares the other kids away so this time, she did her best to be very friendly. She met Yubin and Hyojung, they were really good friends and everything was upgraded in her life.. no Mihyun, no heartbreak. Yeonju thought it's just a little crush, a puppy love. But it wasn't. When their school merged and she had to go to the same school at Mihyun.. everything seemed to change.

 

 

"Wait, what just happened?" Hyojung asked again but Yooa isn't responding. Walking their way to the cafeteria, Yooa can't stop thinking about how Mihyun looked at her. Was there a message or is she just being delusional? But there's that girl Jiho.. It's so confusing but Yooa felt like Mihyun wanted to talk to her.

 

"Mimi.. Mimi.. Do I know her?" Hyojung asked again because the name "Mimi" may be very familiar to her. She once again looked at Yooa but still, the girl was just walking and looking straight to their way. Yooa once told her friends about Mihyun. Of course she did, there's no other person who caught Yooa's interest other than Kim Mihyun.

 

Hyojung can't recall where she heard that name. So she just followed Yooa.

 

When they reached the cafeteria, Yubin is already sitting on one of the free table and chair sets there. Hyojung and Yooa sat with her. Yubin noticed Yooa's expression.

 

"What happened?" The bob-haired girl asked.

 

Hyojung shrugged. "Why are you late today, huh? I thought you're a good student, and you didn't even bother to put your things on our room first."

 

"I'm hungry." Yubin answered and looked at Yooa once again.

 

"Something happened earlier, oh.. I suddenly want to regret that I came late." She took her chopsticks and starts eating. Yooa smiled at her friends.

 

"Nothing happened, don't mind me." Yooa said, her friends seems convinced. Hyojung told Yubin about the "shorty" scene but stopped because Yooa stood up.

 

"Where are you going?" They asked.

 

"Toilet" Yooa replied shortly. Once Yooa walked with much distance and Hyojung was sure that Yooa won't hear her anymore, she asked Yubin because she might not be able to sleep if she don't remember where she heard the word "Mimi".

 

"Fool Hyojung, Mimi's famous. Duh, she has um.. many admirers because of her talents or whatever"

 

"Ah, so Yooa maybe had a crush on her when they looked at each other earlier!" Hyojung clapped as she started to figure out things.

 

"I think she's the one that Yooa always talks about." Yubin nodded. Hyojung's eyes widened. "M-Mihyun? AH! Then she doesn't have a crush on her! She had a crush on her."

 

"Hm.." Yubin looked at the table across them where Mimi, Jiho, and some familiar faces are sitting at. "We're not sure about that." She said before sipping on her orange juice.

 


 

While walking, Yooa saw Jiho and Seunghee with two other girls, maybe their friends, in one table close to theirs. But Mihyun isn't with them. Curious, but Yooa continued to walk towards the comfort room.

 

Yooa was entering the room when she heard a familiar voice, talking.

 

"Yes, how about your meds? Did you take them already?"

 

Oh, it's Mimi. She thought and washed her hands. Mihyun must be talking to her mom.

 

Mihyun looked at Yooa but she's still busy talking to her mom. Thinking about what happened earlier, she's still confused with what she felt. Not wanting to have another awkward encounter with Mihyun, she decided to walk back to her friends but Mihyun suddenly called her.

 

"Yeonju" Yeonju. It's been a while since someone called her by that name. Yooa felt something inside her, burning? That hot feeling she know she can't handle if she'll stay in one room with Mihyun. So, Yooa left the toilet room and went back to her friends, blushing. The next days would be more tough for her if she wouldn't fix whatever this is.

 

Looking at her friends talking, Yooa smiled trying her best to act normal again but in the back of her mind, she can hear Mihyun saying her name.The girls started chatting again but Hyojung and Yubin's conversation earlier wasn't mentioned. In the middle of their talk, they heard a noise from the table next to them, it was Mihyun and her friends. The three glanced at them.

 

"Yah, what are you saying? We aren't even close!" Mimi laughed and one of the girls sat between Mimi and Jiho.

 

"I don't care, I need to watch over you!" the girl said and acted like she was shoo-ing Jiho.

 

Yooa bit her lip, jealousy filling her. She still does have feelings for Mihyun. The girl, Arin held Mihyun's hand and stuck her tongue out facing Jiho. Mihyun's real girlfriend? Yooa thought. What the hell Mimi, you're such a playgirl.

 

"Oh, it's the girl from earlier. Yubin said.

 

After class, the students are obliged to go to their chosen clubs but of course, the new students needs to sign up for theirs. Hyojung choosed the singing club, Yooa also wants to join that club but it was her dream to dance, Yubin will be joining the dance club too. Yooa needed to do something earlier so Yubin went to the clubroom earlier than her. This results to Yooa who's now looking for the dance club's room.

 

She suddenly heard a noise-- a loud music from a room that she'll be passing by in just a few more seconds. Her lips grew excited thinking about dancing. She's about to enter the room when she saw a girl in a hoodie, holding two bottles of water, Jiho.

 

Yooa clenched her fists together. 'That Jiho-- She always looks at me as if I'm a murderer' she thought. For the past five days, Yooa have been receiving threats from Jiho's eyes. And she never had a conversation with Mihyun because she doesn't want to have one. She can see Mihyun's efforts just to have a chance to talk to her. Even though she sees them, she just ignores it. 'She already has friends, why would she want to talk to me, we'll just be close friends again and I don't want to be friendzoned. Or does she like me too? Now? No, she has Jiho and that junior.' That's just Yooa playing her thoughts about Mihyun.

 

When Jiho vanished through the door, Yooa peeked in and there's a "DANCE CLUB" written on the board. So she went inside, not bothered with the fact that Jiho will be her clubmate. There is a student, maybe the head of the club, in the registration table, approaching her. She signed up the form and noticed there were just 15 of them in the club. She looked for Yubin and saw her friend sitting on the back of the room, doing something with her phone.

 

"Please take care of me" Yooa said and bowed on the person infront of her.

 

"Oh, no, I'm just a representative here. The leader will come later." The girl said and smiled. "Ah" Yooa nodded.

 

"Where-- what should I do next?" Yooa asked again. The girl was about to answer but someone came in, and it's like an angel passed by the whole room, everyone goes silent, the music stopped too.

 

"Oh, sorry, I'm late. Is everyone present today?" Mihyun walked fast to gather everyone to the center of the room. The girl in the table smiled and said "Ms. Yoo, she's the club leader, you'll just follow her instructions, that's all"

 

Yooa bit her lower lip. She made a mistake. A sigh escaped from her lips as she sits on the back with Yubin, far from Mihyun and the other members, Mihyun discussed some of their rules and stuff. Yooa took out her notebook and noted everything that Mihyun said.

 

The meeting was just pure orientation and Yooa thinks it's because of her and Yubin as they're the new members. The school seemed to be giving favor to this club a lot enough to give them their own room. If Yooa heard it right, Mihyun is the school admin's favorite because of her school contributions.

 

Mihyun asked for Yooa and Yubin to stay for some matters she'd like to discuss with them. "So, you can go home now. And then, um, is there any new students here? I mean, from the other school" 

 

After putting back their things to their respective bags, Yooa and Yubin headed to Mihyun's table. Yooa lets Yubin walk ahead of her, she hopes Yubin would take over the conversation because she feels like she's still not ready to talk to Mihyun. Yubin noticed it anyway.

 

"You should go home now, your mom will kill me if you'll come home late." Mimi said while looking for something in her desk. Yooa got confused for a moment, she wondered who Mihyun was talking to but then she saw Jiho sitting by the table on the floor. 

 

"No." Jiho replied shortly.

 

Mihyun took a glance at Jiho and smiled. "Then I'll tell Seunghee to send you home."

 

"Why not you?"

 

Yooa thought Mihyun is still busy talking to Jiho so she opened her backpack to check if she still has everything, afraid that she'd lost any of her things. 

 

"The school asked me for some help. You already signed up the registration form, right?" She heard Mihyun talking. 

 

"You should sign this too." Mihyun passed a few papers to them, Yooa takes hers from Mihyun without looking. She feels Mihyun's gaze at her and.. it's a little heart-fluttering. After they signed the papers, Yooa slid her pen in her pocket

 

"Thank you." Mimi kept the papers in a folder and once again looked at the girls. 

 

"Oh, and should I offer them this, Jiho?" Mihyun faced Jiho, and Jiho replied. "No." 

 

Why does she need to ask that Jiho?

 

"Here in the dance club we have some routines, we're setting some date, time, and place here in the school where we'll perform our routines to sursprise our students and to make sure our club would be one of the most active club in the school." Mihyun offered them. It's just funny to think about how Mihyun would be teaching her now. Yooa didn't speak at all throughout the whole conversation. It's just all Yubin.

 

"Give me your numbers, Mimi doesn't have a phone. I'll just text you" That girl, Jiho said as she placed her phone on the table. Yooa raised her eyebrow. Mimi doesn't have a phone? Jiho acts like Mihyun's girlfriend.. is she? Anyway, Yooa didn't even say she wants to do it, because she really wanted to do it. Yooa quietly takes the phone and inputs her number. She's a little worried about Jiho being this close to Mihyun. 

 


 

"You know, you're too obvious about Mimi." Yubin spoke after a whole 5 minutes of silence while they're walking out of the school grounds. Yooa sighed and pouted at her friend.

 

"What are you gonna do now? Avoid her all the time? That'll be hard." Yooa nodded. Yubin's right, she can't just avoid her when they're classmates.. and clubmates.

 

"It is hard." Yooa muttered, she looked at the two girls walking ahead of them. Mihyun and Jiho looked too close with each other. They look like they're dating. 

 

"You clearly still have feelings for Mimi, why not tell her? She looks like she really wants to talk to you anyway." Again, Yubin's right. Mihyun seemed to be trying her best to approach Yooa all the time. 

 

"Promise me, you'll talk to her, okay?" Yubin said and pats her shoulder. Yooa nodded and smiled, waving at Yubin whose house is on the opposite street. 

 

"Yeah. See you tomorrow!" Yooa started walking alone, her thoughts starts to explode in her mind again. How cool Mihyun was, earlier. How cute Mihyun was when she came late. How admiring Mihyun's hand was. All Yooa did earlier was to look at Mihyun's hand for all the time they talked about the sign up forms and the offer. Of course, Yooa wants to accept the offer because it's her chance to be close with her long time crush and once bestfriend, Mihyun. But she doesn't know the reason why her tongue seems to disappear earlier, she can't speak. She badly wants to talk to Mihyun but it's so hard for her.

 

And, she already promised herself that she'll get rid of her feelings for Mihyun so many months ago.

 

When she turned around to walk, she also saw Mihyun's figure coming towards her. She thought maybe Mimi is walking on her way home too, they live in one street and she had expected this. Yubin was right. Maybe they should talk. 

 

"Hey"

 

"Hey" Yooa is ready. Ready if ever Mihyun talks to her and here it is. 

 

"Are you going home now?" Mihyun asked. In Yooa's mind, she replied 'Isn't it obvious?' But no, she should act polite because they aren't like what they were before.

 

"Hm, I guess" Yooa said and smiled at Mihyun but the girl didn't talk back anymore and they both walked, very uncomfortable. Yooa blinked a few times, she can't decide if she should talk again.. and what should she say.

 

"Anyway, how's your mom?" Yooa knew about Mihyun's mom being sick. She used to visit her before after school when Mihyun invites her over her house.

 

"She's getting better." Mimi muttered. They continued walking.

 

"I didn't know you have a sister." The doll-like girl said as they both turned left.

 

"Oh, I met her after we graduated. She's my mom's daughter." With that, Yooa regrets her decision on staying away from Mimi.

 

"She's nice and loud. Just like Jiho" Mimi added and chuckled. Yooa had a faint smile. Why is it always Jiho?

 

"But she's kind, just like you." Well-- That was shocking. Yooa didn't see that coming.

 

"Everyone is kind, Mihyun" Yooa walked ahead of Mimi, while Mimi walked fast so she can talk to Yooa again.

 

"You're the kindest!" The blonde exclaimed making Yooa chuckle.

 

"I wish you talked to me about a lot of things, Mihyun." Yooa voiced out her thoughts. She knows she shouldn't be doing this but Mihyun's response eased her overthinking.

 

"Yeah.. that was a fool of me. I was wrong to avoid you when you've been so important to me."

 

"So.. should I call you Yooa, now?" Yooa looked at Mihyun.

 


 

2 years ago

 

Yeonju was walking down the sidewalk. They're dismissed early and Yeonju is planning to go downtown to shop for new clothes. It's one of her hobbies.

 

"Hey, that's mine!" Yeonju shouted when someone suddenly grabbed her bag. It's Mihyun. She rolled her eyes and tried to her bag back but she got Mihyun's bag insted.

 

"Now carry my bag for me, it's too heavy." Mihyun said and wore the straps of Yeonju's bag on her shoulders.

 

"What?? Yours is heavier!"

 

"Heavier for you but just heavy for me." Yeonju had no choice but carry Mihyun's bag on her arms. She and Mihyun's houses are in the same street, she thought Mihyun would be somewhere out practicing, dancing or had gone home but she's here. They both love dancing.. Yeonju enjoys it but she thinks Mihyun loves it more than she does. 

 

"There you go, that's called give and take, Ju." Ju, short for Yeonju. She didn't like her name at all but Mihyun makes it sound pleasing with that nickname.  

 


 

Present.

 

Yooa and Mimi's talk the past day made Yooa's heart lighter. It's like she knows she doesn't need to feel awkward around Mihyun anymore. Everything is going well for her especially when she knows Mihyun would be there waiting for her in the classroom the next morning.

 

Yooa came to school late that day, when she entered the room, she heard Yubin and Hyojung talking about practice.

 

"Practice? No practice?" She asked and placed her bag down on her seat. Yubin was about to answer when Mimi stood up and shouted.

 

"T-There is!! And-- uh, We really need to practice everyday!!" Yooa smiled, looking at Mimi stuttering. Why is she so cute? She's about to say that she'll join the practice when Jiho hits Mimi's shoulder.

 

"What are you saying? We need day-off too--"Jiho was cut-off when Mimi kissed her cheek. Yooa saw it all.. how should she take this? Does Mimi randomly kiss Jiho or is this because they're dating? No.. Yooa heard Mimi isn't dating anyone. With that, Yooa felt jealous. 

 

"S-so, we'll go later on the club room. But Yubin and I need to go somewhere so we'll only be there for an hour." Yooa said without looking at Mimi and sat beside Hyojung again. She doesn't know what to feel anymore but.. she trusts Mimi's actions. She definitiely looked eager to be with Yooa. 

 

Yooa decided to just ignore Jiho. 

 

But it's not that easy. The next few days, she keeps seeing Jiho popping out of nowhere to ruin her day.

 

"I'll take two churros." Yooa puts her wallet back on her pocket after paying for the churros. She's with Yubin and they're on their way to the club practice but they wanted to grab a bite first.

 

"Why two? Are you that hungry?" Yubin asked. Yooa shook her head and giggled. 

 

"I bought this for Mimi, she told me she'll practice with me thoroughly today-" 

 

"Thanks." Jiho took one from Yooa. Yubin watched her friend looking upset at what Jiho just did.

 

Yooa suddenly felt her head boiling, like she's about to burst when she saw Jiho eating the churro stick she bought for Mihyun. "Give that back!"

 

"Why? You won't eat this anyway." 

 

Yooa bit her bottom lip, letting Jiho walk away because Yubin held her arm to stop her. 

 

 

Yooa placed a bottle of water on Mihyun's table. She noticed how Mihyun often feel thirsty when practicing after being Mihyun's partner. The club teacher told them that they may have a chance to perform on the upcoming acquaintance party so they've been practicing a lot in the past few days.This results to her being closer to Mihyun as well.. and Yooa could tell how Mihyun has been giving her attention. Much more than she used to 2 years ago. 

 

Yooa looked around the room to find her partner and saw Mihyun talking to her co-leader. Yooa smiled and left the water bottle there at the table. After a few seconds, Jiho walked towards it and takes the water bottle, drinking from it.

 

Yooa immediately stood up, she faced Jiho who looked at her blankly. "That's not yours!" She exclaimed, biting her lower lip in anger.

 

Yubin took the water bottle from Jiho and placed it back on the table.

 

"Jiho, she bought it for Mimi."

 

"Mimi shares her water bottle with me, why can't I get a share from this?"

 

"Because it's not yours, Mimi isn't yours either!" Yooa couldn't stop herself now. Jiho stared at her intensely. She feels like the girl wants to fight her anytime, if only Yubin didn't pull the girl to the corner. 

 

Yooa heard Yubin and Jiho talking on the side as she sat back on her position earlier. She knew Jiho is a competition and it upsets her all the time but when she thinks about how Mimi spends lesser time with Jiho now, she feels better. Her friend Yubin got closer to Jiho due to these dance practice sessions and Yubin told her that there really was something between Jiho and Mimi before but it's settled now and there's nothing. She sighed, as soon as Mimi came back, she told Mimi that Jiho already drank from the water bottle but Mimi didn't hesitate drinking from the same bottle. Are they really this comfortable with each other?

 


 

2 years ago.

 

"Mihyuuun. Give me back my snack." Yeonju pouted and jumped trying to reach Mihyun's hand where the girl is holding her packed snacks. It's not the first time Mihyun did this because she does this so many times teasing Yeonju.

 

"Share it with meee."

 

"Why don't you just buy yours?" Yeonju hits Mihyun's arm and the girl winced dropping her arm. Yeonju took the opportunity to take her snack back. She walked away from Mihyun after.

 

"Give and take!" Mihyun yelled and followed Yeonju.

 


 

Present.

 

Give and take.. Mimi always say those words before. Yooa smiled, looking at Mimi who's walking with her to home. Ever since their talk days ago, Mimi always walked her home, she even carries Yooa's bag for her. Yooa looked down at their hands, Mimi initiated this.. she said it'll make them closer again. 

 

"Mihyun." She called the girl. 

 

"Yeah? Sorry, I spaced out." Yooa smiled and takes her bag from Mimi. She can't help but to admire how cute Mimi is.

 

"I don't really come to parties.. but will you come with me? I'll introduce you to my friends too." Yooa shyly asked. She never did this before but Mimi is the only person she'd love to come with her. 

 

"Hm.. I'll tell you when I'm going, but yes, I would love to come with you.. it's just.. my mom." She smiled at Yooa and the girl smiled back, waving at her as she walked inside her house. Yooa closed the door behind her and she can't help blushing as she reminded herself of what she did earlier. Unlike before, Mimi didn't reject her. She just hopes Mimi's mother would tell her to come to the party instead. Mimi told Yooa that she's going to take care of her mom that's why she isn't interested to come but if ever, it just means that Yooa's date would be Mimi. 

 

 

 

"Where's Bae Yubin?" Hyojung asked, looking at the time at her phone. Yooa shrugged. Yubin isn't the type to text them a lot but she should be here now because the party will be starting soon. Yooa looked around, she hoped she'll see Mimi among all these students. The girl is blonde so she should stand out but there's no sign of the other girl.

 

"How about your date? Did you text Mimi?" Hyojung asked her and Yooa shook her head. 

 

"She doesn't have a phone." She replied, just then, Yubin came waving at them. Yooa smiled seeing how pretty Yubin is tonight. 

 

"Wow, it's been a while since I last saw you using make-up." Hyojung quickly opened her camera and took pictures of Yubin. Yooa laughed. 

 

"Why are you taking photos of her but not me?" She asked, Yubin and Hyojung laughed at her. 

 

Yooa once again scanned the hallway. She saw Seunghee and Arin but just them. Where's Mimi?

 

"Oh my god," Hyojung exclaimed, pointing at the doorway. Yooa immediately looked over where Hyojung was pointing at.

 

That's her date.