two!!

Dating Start!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

[6:15] Hyukjae: Movies!! 

[6:15] Hyukjae: Not sure what you like but I’ve been meaning to watch Your Name for a while now

[6:16] Hyukjae: Is that okay with you? 

[6:21] Hyukjae: Thought it would be good, but if you have any movies you want to watch, I don’t mind! 

[6:30] Hyukjae: Hopefully movies are cool with you, they're a bit more private and people aren’t really allowed to talk during them

[6:31] Hyukjae: Could we catch one about 6pm-ish?

[6:33] Hyukjae: Also on Friday so you don’t have work the next day

[6:33] Hyukjae: Unless you’d prefer another day then I’m down for whatever!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae is early to their second date. When Donghae shows up, he sees Hyukjae wearing a face mask to cover up most of his face as some sort of a disguise. It’s honestly useless, Donghae thinks, if he’s still so recognisable. Either way, when Hyukjae sees Donghae approaching, his eyes crinkle to show that he’s smiling and immediately pulls off the mask.

 

This registers to Donghae immediately. The simple action of pulling off his mask just contrasts so much with how Hyukjae had acted on their first ‘date’; it seems like Hyukjae feels more comfortable, and is acting more open, which makes Donghae smile. He would be lying if he said he wasn’t the slightest bit skeptical that night after he’d agreed to the whole fake dating arrangement, worried it was going to be an absolute nightmare. But if even just this small act was any indication of what is to come, Donghae thinks he might just enjoy this a tad bit more.

 

This time Hyukjae is wearing a loose graphic shirt over tight black denim shorts that reach halfway down his calf. It’s casual, yet still on trend, and Donghae feels a bit lame realising he’s wearing the same jeans from the previous ‘date’, just with a more casual shirt and sports shoes. But, he reasons with himself, he’d just gotten off work and didn’t have much time to think about his fashion. It’s not like Donghae had planned his outfit a few nights prior and had been ready for this moment for a while, no.

 

“Hey Donghae,” Hyukjae greets, more like a friend than anything. It’s a bit awkward and held back, his hand coming up only halfway in a slight wave, like Hyukjae is still a bit guilty for making him go on these dates. But it’s still casual, and Donghae waves back with a small smile, ignoring the small rush of excitement that comes with seeing his idol wave and smile to him. 

 

They still had a long way to go in terms of skinship, but they’re making a start and that fact alone makes Donghae smile.

 

“You’re early this time,” Donghae notes with an approving nod. Hyukjae laughs.

 

“Just wanted to prove how great of a boyfriend I am,” Hyukjae explains, clearly joking.

 

“Sure,” Donghae rolls his eyes teasingly as he ignores Hyukjae’s whines in protest. “If you were such a great boyfriend, you’d have known my favourite popcorn flavour was movie butter. You’d be ready with it in a gold bucket, plumping the pillow on my throne.”

 

“Your Majesty,” Hyukjae easily plays along, bowing formally. Donghae feels a heat rise to his cheeks as he laughs. When Hyukjae looks up at him, he has a glint in his eye. Standing upright again, Hyukjae links their arms together, his hand against his chest formally. His arm has a lock on Donghae’s so tight that the latter can’t help but be dragged along as Hyukjae makes his way to the popcorn stands.

 

They get popcorn on Hyukjae’s insistence. He buys them both a large bucket of movie butter popcorn because coincidentally, it’s apparently his favourite flavour too. So when he notices Donghae is quiet, probably out of guilt, Hyukjae just laughs and says Donghae probably won’t be able to eat much of the popcorn anyway because it’ll all be gone. This indeed makes Donghae feel better, and Hyukjae smiles when they reach the front of the line, and Donghae shyly points at the large popcorn.

 

He just wants Donghae to have a good time, that’s all. Hyukjae is making up for being an , and buying Donghae’s favourite popcorn is the least he can do. Plus, it’s not that he can’t stand salty popcorn; Hyukjae just prefers caramel.

 

Donghae and Hyukjae make their way into the designated hall and settle into their seats easily. The trailers start soon after they're seated, and Donghae sits up straighter because finally, something is happening. He habitually takes popcorn and pops it in his mouth, entertained by possible movies he could watch. 

 

Hyukjae talks a bit through the trailers, Donghae notices. While he is usually someone who is dead quiet from the beginning to end, he finds that he quite likes it when Hyukjae leans in closer and whispers in witty remarks that have him chuckling. It makes it more unique - uniquely Hyukjae. And it makes him smile, a warm feeling spreading in his chest that he dubs excitement for what is to come in their newfound friendship. 

 

Suddenly, the movie starts and Hyukjae stops talking. The theme song of the movie plays a few minutes in and Donghae sneaks a small peek at Hyukjae, who’s staring up at the screen in fascination. There’s a childlike wonder in his eyes, and he’s only illuminated by the flashing colours of the movie. It’s something about how innocent he looks that makes Donghae want to keep staring, but he tears his eyes away and forces himself to watch the screen again.

 

And Donghae does not look back for the rest of the movie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When the movie is over, Donghae finds himself just sitting there, staring at the screen. He didn’t particularly have any sort of expectations for it, as he’d only seen posters around the train stations, and didn’t quite know exactly what the movie was going to be about. He didn’t watch any trailers for it prior, like Hyukjae seemed to, because the latter was buzzing with excitement during the trailers, whispering to Donghae about how the movie Your Name was supposed to be amazing, breaking all sorts of records and what not. And indeed, as Hyukjae thought, the movie had been amazing. So amazing, in fact, that Donghae had cried maybe five times.

 

Hyukjae doesn’t seem to mind waiting though, as Donghae stares at the credits in a post-movie awe. He misses, through watery eyes and a sniffly nose, how Hyukjae smiles at him fondly.

 

“That was a good movie,” Hyukjae says, standing up when it seems like the last of the credits roll over. Donghae looks back up at him for what feels like the first time in a while and notices a few more people staying around as well, probably more for Hyukjae rather than the credits.

 

“Yeah,” Donghae replies absentmindedly. Hyukjae nods his head towards the exit, and Donghae gathers his things, still a bit awestruck. He’s pulled out slightly when he feels Hyukjae slip his hand into Donghae’s own, a simple hand hold, leading him out of the cinema naturally.

 

He hears a few louder murmurs, probably about him and Hyukjae, though Donghae can’t find it in himself to care. He doesn’t think about them, and simply basks in the emotional comfort of the warm hand holding his own. 

 

Donghae runs his thumb along Hyukjae’s fingers, and Hyukjae just smiles and squeezes his hand a little tighter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae insists on treating Donghae to dinner as they exit the cinema, though Donghae had helpfully pointed out, once they'd made their way back into the shopping centre, that word had gotten out that they were on another date and that it would be a little bit difficult to get food. 

 

There were more fans than Donghae could have ever imagined.

 

“Quick, come,” Hyukjae whispers in his ear before he feels a tug in his hand. Hyukjae is taking off at almost full speed and it is honestly kind of entertaining. Donghae runs after him, having no choice but to follow or be pulled along. 

 

It feels like a spy movie, Donghae thinks idly as they hide behind a pillar in the car park. Hyukjae is scoping the scene, and it looks like he’s fully in role as Donghae lets out a small snicker. Hyukjae looks over at him curiously before smirking and wiggling his eyebrows comically.

 

“Run!” Hyukjae exclaims suddenly, and they bolt across the carpark that Donghae realises now is practically empty, but keeps running anyway. They get into Hyukjae’s car in a haste and the only sounds for a minute or two are the sounds of both of them panting loudly.

 

“So, take out then?” Hyukjae asks when they’ve settled down a bit into Hyukjae’s car. Donghae laughs boisterously, and Hyukjae feels himself chuckle slightly as well. They’re high on adrenaline, sitting in an expensive car, just having run through a mall, half into their secret agent roles.

 

It all feels a bit too surreal.

 

“Sure,” Donghae agrees, leaning against his seat as Hyukjae starts to drive. He lets out an exhale, and realises he’s been smiling the whole time. 

 

They sit in a comfortable, mutual silence for a few seconds as Hyukjae exits the car park. Donghae looks over, and notices that Hyukjae, too, has a childish grin plastered on his face that makes Donghae’s own smile widen.

 

“So, Your Name,” starts Hyukjae, clearly wanting to bring the conversation back to the movie.

 

“Wow, oh god!” Donghae exclaims, easily falling back into conversation about the movie, and Hyukjae lets out a hearty laugh. He looks over at Donghae, who would tell Hyukjae to look at the road if he wasn’t so caught up in thinking about the movie. “I just… oh god, it was so good! I’m so impressed by movies all the time, but that has to be by far one of the best ones!”

 

“I’m glad I could take you,” Hyukjae says genuinely, eyes back on the road. “It was amazing though! Blew all of my expectations out of the water.”

 

“Yeah!” Donghae agrees. “I’m just always impressed by any movie I watch, since I don’t  get the opportunity to watch a lot, so even the ones that people say are bad, I never think are.”

 

“That’s actually…really sweet,” Hyukjae says, thoughtfully. Before Donghae can say anything, he continues. “Kind of makes me want to take you on more movie dates.”

 

Taken aback, Donghae is stunned for a few seconds before he bursts out laughing. “Sure,” he ends up saying. “I wouldn’t mind that.”

 

The rest of the ride back to Hyukjae’s apartment is smooth. It was Friday, so Donghae didn’t have to go to work the next day. Hyukjae had suggested going back to his own apartment as fans may follow them, and it was much easier to stay at his place than try to sneak out if fans were still there. Donghae agreed easily, as ending the date suddenly after the movie would have felt a bit lacklustre; they had a good time, and Donghae wasn’t in any rush to head home.

 

They make conversation about anything and everything. Hyukjae starts to point out little shops along the way back to the apartment, and tells little stories about each one. Donghae finds the story about when Hyukjae was at the Nike and was mistaken as an animal whisperer, with an old lady practically begging him to make her dog eat the kimchi stew she’d made him. What was funnier to Donghae was the fact that Hyukjae played along easily, and then ‘translated’ that the dog was allergic and couldn’t eat it, and didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

 

Hyukjae is funny, Hyukjae is charming, and Hyukjae is genuine when he’s being himself. And that makes Donghae feel warm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyukjae doesn’t have an extremely extravagant home, Donghae notes when he steps through the door. It’s big, sure, but it’s homey and much smaller than what he’d imagined. 

 

For some reason, Donghae was kind of hoping for some sort of mansion. But it is still just Seoul, and Hyukjae is still just another citizen bitter about the cost of rent. 

 

“Welcome to my humble abode, Your Majesty,” Hyukjae welcomes grandly, bowing. He’s barely holding the door back with his , and it makes Donghae giggle as turns back to Hyukjae after scoping out the place for a second.

 

“Is this going to become a thing?” Donghae asks, referring to the royal title. 

 

“Well, since you’re insisting.”

 

Hyukjae winks playfully and Donghae rolls his eyes. Hyukjae shrugs and mutters, jokingly, “everyone’s a critic”.

 

 

 

“So, a Literature teacher, hm?” Hyukjae asks after a slice or two of pizza.

 

Donghae is immediately reminded of how Hyukjae had found the merchandise on his desk and groans, leaning back. He knows Hyukjae remembers this too, because he hears a loud laugh.

 

“No, no! Really, I want to know more about you,” he says. He speaks with a playful tone, but Donghae can tell he’s being genuine. “I should at least get to know my boyfriend, eh?”

 

In that moment, Donghae is reminded of when Hyukjae told him he was cute. Even despite the hasty explanation, Hyukjae had told Donghae he was cute. Did that mean there was any possibility of Hyukjae actually liking him…?

 

“Sure,” Donghae scoffs, remembering to reply. He takes another bite of his pizza, and puts his phone aside. “But, uh, yeah, Literature teacher. I like Literature, kids, and sharing what I know, so… I guess it fit?”

 

Hyukjae smiles genuinely, resting his arms on the desk. His stomach is satisfied now, content with the amount he’s eaten, so he can finally focus on conversation with Donghae. Which is great, because Hyukjae was being truthful when he had said he approached Donghae because he was interested.

 

“That’s adorable,” Hyukjae says. “I remember you were at the park reading that book and you just seemed so immersed. I felt a bit dumb watching you, but I could tell you were passionate.”

 

Donghae ducks his head down and mutters a thanks. Hyukjae feels pride well up in his chest as he continues.

 

“Kids then, huh? Just teaching them, or do you want kids of your own?”

 

Hyukjae sits on the edge of his seat, trying his best to not look as interested as he feels.

 

Donghae smiles a brilliant smile that has Hyukjae breathless. 

 

And they talk, and talk, and talk. They talk about Donghae and his love for kids, his desire to adopt, and Hyukjae throws in a small comment of how he thinks Donghae will be an amazing parent because he seems to have a heart of gold. They talk about Hyukjae’s passion for dancing and how it had landed him his job. They talk about Hyukjae’s growing interest in composing music, and how he’d planned his upcoming album to be more of a reflection of himself than any of his previous albums.

 

Then they talk about them. They talk about how Hyukjae had approached Donghae at the park, they talk about Donghae be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter