Goodbye

Goodbye

Her eyes staring at the small silver blade in her hand, a couple of tears fighting their way out of her camel eyes, her heart pounding with sharp beats aching thought her body, feeling it break into pieces.

 

  • “ is all i can do right? Is the best i can do for you..” she whispers with a forced smile as her lip trembles at the painful words hitting the back of her head

  • “Jung Sooyeon!!” a loud scream can be heard down stairs calling for the young girl.

  • “ i am coming” she responds to the calling wiping her wet cheeks, rubbing her puffy eyes as she saves the blade back into her backpack and heads down stairs

  • “eat the fruit only, you don’t wanna get any fatter” the same old voice spoke with clear disgust in the tone

  • “i am not hungry” she said bowing her head before walking out her house.

Alone like always was, her hand resting over her flat belly as she walked -when is gonna be thin enough- -when am i gonna be pretty enough- she kept asking herself as she walked the same streets on her way to school.

 

By the stairs just one little bump was enough to make her weak slim body to hit the floor, a smug smirk on the girl’s face as she watches sooyeon on the floor appears before she walks off as if she did nothing wrong.

 

  • “are you okay?” a short girl says as her hand holds on to sooyeon’s wrist helping her get back up on her feet.

  • “thank you” she bows her head at the short girl before walking off without answering the question nor even looking at the stranger girl

  • “but- you don’t seem to be” taeyeon mumbles to herself, her first day of school and she already witnessed a poor girl being hurt by others, her head shook a little before walking to her homeroom.

It wasn’t odd for sooyeon to be pushed, hit, mistreated, bad mouthed, not only in school but her home, by now she wouldn't even react to the actions being held against her.

 

As she reach her seat in the classroom one of her personal bullies pulls on the chair making her fall and hit the back of her head hard against the table edge, the teacher being present all that does is scold sooyeon for not being careful and distract the class.

 

Holding in the tears of pain she stands up bowing to the teacher to sit back in her chair. Taeyeon Being by the door shakes his head in clear amusement and frustration as she witnessed it all.

 

The day goes by and ends up with sooyeon having new bruises on her forearms and ribs from the pushes against the lockers, the hits received in gym classes and the pushes against the sidewalks reels on her way out of school.

 

Taeyeon walks behind her in a hurry to offer help but is held back by her friends in time to let her escape her view. Tiffany and Sooyoung shake their heads as they see who taeyeon was after

  • “avoid conflict in this school tae, getting involved with her will cause you many trouble” tiffany said referring to sooyeon as it was well known how hated she was even by her mother the principal of the school

  • “she doesn’t do anything wrong fany, people is ed up around here” taeyeon said letting out a sigh in disappointment as now the girl was out of her reach.

  • “you are new here tae that's why you don’t know, but sooyeon is the principal’s daughter, and because of her a few girls were kicked out because of a fight and sooyeon wasn’t , that’s why she is treated that way by the girls friends” sooyoung said wrapping her arm around taeyeon’s shoulder.

  • “that's just plain stupid, if they were treating her as bad as this stupid girls did all day i don’t blame anyone for kicking them out” taeyeon said convinced as she walks beside her old found again friends.

Almost at her house Sooyeon was almost relieved, it wasn’t gonna be long before she could lock herself up in her room, but her luck was just bad, and her mother was there first.

  • “why am i hearing complains about you misbehaving in class? Can’t you be careful? Can’t you even do one thing right?” her mother scolding yells received sooyeon as soon as she opened the door

  • “i-i fell.. i-i didn’t meant to” she said with a shy voice as she knew no matter what excuse she made it will all be the same.

  • “when are you gonna stop making my life hard? You are a teenager for God’s sake! Your only job is to study and not even that you do right!” her mother yells out again in frustration holding onto sooyeon’s bruised arm.

  • “i-i am sorry.” she whispered holding on a hiss of pain

  • “don’t you see how lucky you are? You have a roof and food, you are in a good positioned family, you have all many just dream of and for what? You are certainly useless, when are you gonna change and stop being this way sooyeon?!” her mother speaks harshly at her not even considering the words that leave could harm her

 

Sooyeon left her mother's company to lock herself on her room, taking out the small blade she made small cuts to her inner thighs feeling the sting and painful cuts rose over her skin as the tears couldn’t stop falling.

 

A couple of months passed and like everyday taeyeon would wait by the school entrance for sooyeon, like everyday she would help her get up and pick up her things as she really stop the people that tried to harm her all the time she decided to at least be there for her after to keep her company.

 

As classes went by taeyeon would always walk beside sooyeon telling her random things as she didn’t like how sooyeon always felt alone, she never spoke back but always listened, in lunch period taeyeon was always beside her eating calmly not minding the silence, it became a habit for both of them.

 

One those days in gym class sooyeon was harshly hit by a baseball in the head causing her to bleed, taeyeon enraged by the act jumped on the culprit throwing hits and kicks having had enough of their hard actions, being teyeon and sooyeon alone they were quickly blamed and taken away to the disciplinary principal.

 

  • “you again” he shook his head looking at sooyeon ignoring the blood running down her head.

  • “i-i am sorry” she bows her head yet again without being guilty

  • “if it wasn’t because your mother is-” he was saying when taeyeon interrupted.

  • “ if not then what? Would you finally see and accept that she is the ing victim here?! If her mother wasn’t who she is would you be fair to her?! Are you all ing blind?!” taeyeon was screaming her words before she came to a stop feeling the weak grip on the hem of her sleeve, her head turns to sooyeon as he small voice speak

  • “its okay” sooyeon weakly says lightly smiling at taeyeon

  • “yah- how dare you- a week suspension to both of you now get out of here” he says almost dragging them out of his office.

Puzzled taeyeon could just follow beside the wounded sooyeon, she wasn’t able to understand why she put up with all of it, the more she thought of it the more she didn't understand.

 

  • “soo-” she was about to speak as the principal got in front of them

  • “again? Seriously? You are gonna be the death of me with all of this burden sooyeon, can’t you see how shameful you are to me being like this?” her mother spoke with bitterness and anger as sooyeon kept her eyes down

Just then Taeyeon finally understood, how could sooyeon be any confident with a mother like that? How could she feel it was unfair if her own family treated her the same way? In a way shook at the sight in front of her unable to speak up as sooyeon’s grip on her sleeve told her not to.

 

After yelling at her daughter, she leaves letting the two girls walk out of the school on their own, Taeyeon’s hand moves to hold on sooyeon’s as they walk

  • “i get it now, i get why is so hard to believe me when i say you are good enough, or when i try to make you see you are already perfect” she says softly as she gives sooyeon’s handa small gentle squeeze.

  • “it’s hard isn't it? To believe in me when everyone else lies to you to feel better about themselves, but i promise now that i know why i will do everything to show you i am right and they are all wrong” taeyeon speaks with a firm tone in her voice as sooyeon silently tears up, taeyeon’s warmth and care was something she had never felt before, but was it really something she could hold onto now? Wasn’t it too late for her already?.

After leaving sooyeon in her doorstep taeyeon walked home thinking of ways to make sooyeon feel better, in how to use this week away from all the bad people to make her see her worth.

 

Upon arrival she tosses her phone to her bed as she walks into the bathroom not noticing the incoming call, sooyeon was having a break down and calling taeyeon was her only thought in mind, having had her call send to voicemail she leaves a long message.

 

“taeyeon-ah.. thank you for being there for me all this time.. before you.. i didn’t know anybody could be.. -a sniffle can be heard in a small pause- you know.. many times i questioned my life and why didn’t i die when my dad did.. and now i feel like i didn’t because.. because i was supposed to meet you first.. i was supposed to see that not everyone will try to hurt me.. that at least one person is good.. thank you Taeyeon-ah.. without you my life would have meant nothing.. -a small pause followed by chocked on tears words- i am sorry i was a coward to say goodbye in person.. i am sorry i didn’t hug you goodbye.. i am sorry your life got mixed with a messed up person like me.. i am sorry i made your life harder.. i am sorry taeyeon-ah..

 

Sooyeon hangs up the phone call after leaving the message, and grabs a piece of paper writing with tears running down her eyes tainting the paper. In the other hand taeyeon comes out of the bathroom and sees her phone notification and the missing call, seeing the voice mail message she clicks it open laying down to listen

 

“i am sorry i took too long mom, i am sorry i was never the daughter you deserved and wanted to have, i am sorry i could never be enough, i am sorry i was nothing but trouble and disappointment, i am sorry mom”

 

She folds the paper placing it over her night stand, then gulps down pill after pill until the bottle is empty, tears still streaming down her eyes she closes them as taeyeon runs to her house after hearing the message, she runs as fast as she can climbing up to her window as many times before she did.

 

As she comes up she enters the room crying as she sees the empty bottle, she walks to the bed holding sooyeon in her lap caressing her cheek calling her to wake up.

  • “sooyeon-ah.. sooyeon-ah” taeyeon's voice came out in between sobs and chocked breathes as sooyeon’s eyes lightly part open

  • “h-hi..i am tired taeyeon-ah..” she said weakly as she tried to smile at her friend

  • “no please hold on a little longer, don’t give up” taeyeon says as she calls for an ambulance trying to keep her awake

  • “i was dead long before today taeyeon-ah, don’t cry” she said softly as he eyes closed as the pills make the effect she wished for.

  • “no.. you are meant to live and get out of here and have a good life sooyeon-ah don’t give up now please” taeyeon begged as she kept her in her embrace not able to stop crying in fear and sadness.

  • “thank you” sooyeon whispered as she stopped breathing, her motionless body being embraced by the smaller girl as her mother enters the room.

  • “what-” she was about to yell when taeyeon turns around to face her with bloodshot eyes .

  • “ you did this.. all you had to do was love her.. you did this” taeyeon said in between tears as she held the lifeless body of the girl she loved.