The Right Thing To Do

The Archangels Haven

Why?

That was the single thought that ran through Momo's mind as she was still lost in those beautiful eyes.
The girl was startled by the cameras and just as she thought of running away, Momo grabbed her arm and absentmindedly pulled her into her car before telling the driver to get them out of there. The two of them were just sitting silently in the backseat neither of them spoke a single word. Momo looked outside the window as the cityscape ran by at what seemed to her be the speed of light as she paid no attention to it. She could only think of what she would say next, was there even something to be said after what just happened? She had no idea but her mind kept racina at a thousand miles an hour. The girl only sat there, looking down with her hands on her legs. She seemed flustered and didn't really know what to make out of this whole situation. Suddenly Momo spoke up.

"What's your name?" 

"Tzuyu"

"Tzuyu? You're not Korean are you?"

"No, I'm from Taiwan"

"I'm from Japan, or was"

Tzuyu chuckled.

"What's wrong?"

"How could you have been from Japan and not be anymore"

Momo looked at her and smiled.

"I guess you're right, it's complicated"

"I see" Tzuyu said.

An awkwardness seemed to be installing itself again.

"Why did you kiss my cheek?" Momo suddenly asked.

Tzuyu started fidgeting and looked outside trying to advert Momo's gaze.

"I don't know, it just...seemed like the right thing to do at that moment"

"The right thing to do huh?"

"You don't know who I am?" Momo asked.

"Are you someone important, am I in trouble?! Look, I'm sorry it's just-"

"Don't worry, you're not in trouble"

"It's okay if you don't know me, not everyone does"

"Where do you live?"

"In a neighbourhood not far from here" Tzuyu said.

"And what do you do?"

"I own a little bookstore and that's it, I just want to spend the rest of my days like that"

"You seem pretty young to own a bookstore"

"I know, people are often surprised when I tell them"

"Why a bookstore?"

"I don't know, it just seemed like the right thing to do"

"The right thing to do huh?"

Silence fell again and for a moment they both looked at each other's eyes before each of them looked outside their windows. Yet neither of them could deny the thumping in their hearts the urge to grab each other's hands and tell each other that it was gonna be alright. It's not that their conversation was meaningful or even filled with details but by each other's looks they could tell. They could feel a connection.

As the car stopped Momo told the driver to stay inside the car before getting out and opening the door for Tzuyu.
She smiled as she helped her out. They stood on the side walk.

"My hand..." Tzuyu whispered as she shyly looked at Momo.

"Oh, I'm sorry" Momo said as she was still unconciously grabbing her hand. She let it go and for a split second she could see a streak of disappointment on Tzuyu's face.

"Is this your store?" Momo asked.

 Ga-eul Chaegbang "Autumn Bookstore" The sign read.

"Yes"

"Why this name?"

"Oh, that, it's just that...during the Autumn don't you feel like books are the best company? A good book, a good cup of tea while you just enjoy the red tint of the autumn outside"

And as she described Momo seemed to be taken back to that attic at the orphanage. Just for a moment she had the same feeling  she had as she saw that painting.

Momo smiled.

"Yes, it's you"

"What?"

"Nothing, nothing at all"

"Do you mind if I come visit?"

"No, I don't but, are you sure you can come? You look like someone important and after what you said..."

"I'll definetely come"

"Okay"

"I'll see you soon then"

"See you soon" Tzuyu said.

Momo hugged her.

"Why?"

"It seemed like the right thing to do" Momo said before getting in the car and driving away.

Tzuyu watched the car disappear in the distance before going inside the store, she lived above the bookstore in a small house.

Momo scrolled through her phone, the portal sites and gossip sites were already commenting on her little encounter with the mysterious taiwanese bookstore owner.

"Who is she? Why the kiss? Is Hirai Momo a lesbian?"

She read all those headlines and even some comments.
She knew she was a beloved artist and that even lead her to read the bad comments.

"Who does this girl think she is? What the is she doing ruining the face of a goddess with her lips?"

Momo scoffed as she read those, if she wasn't a plastic artist but an idol she's sure these would be much worse. These comments also made her think if she really wanted to expose Tzuyu to her public life. How could she...to her, Tzuyu was the little perfect shell you find in a walk on the beach.
She was her little secret that she wouldn't give anyone. And she was sure, that she would be visiting her soon.