umm

Mine

Yongsun stumbled out of the UBER, one hand over her head trying to stop the rain from messing up her hair.

"Thank you!" she shouted over her shoulder.  Her phone slipped out of her pocket and the car jerked as the driver noticed it, stopped to give it back to Yongsun, who blushed, shouted thank you again, and escaped into the roaring thunder.

She wrapped her jacket around herself as she walked, hair slipping out of it's braid, papers nearly spilling out of her bag.  The people around her all had their umbrellas up, watching her curiously as she stood with all of her things in the pouring rain.  Groaning she tried not to think about that.  She was always a mess.  Her hair never stayed brushed, her lipstick never stayed on, and half her homework was always soaking wet by the time she turned it in.

As she ran past the benches in the quad she saw someone's jacket on the ground.  Yongsun stopped, looked around her to see if someone had dropped it, but there was nobody around.  She didn't have time to stand around contemplating what to do.  Nor did she have time to stop by the lost and found.  She picked up the jacket -it was warm and soft on the inside- and threw it on over her backpack.

When she finally arrived at her lecture hall her homework was saved, dry under the protection of the extra layer.  She lay the windbreaker down, let it drip dry while she began taking notes for her class.  She'd find it's rightful owner after class.  For now, the jacket was her lucky charm.

-//-

It had been three days and Yongsun still hadn't found the rightful owner of the jacket.  Turns out her school's lost and found didn't accept clothing, only keys or cellphones.  She frowned at the guy behind the counter.

"I'm sorry," he said defensively, "I can still take it if you want-"

"-what?  To throw in the dump?"  She the material of the jacket.  "This thing must be worth $60 at least.  That would be such a waste."

He shrugged again.  Yongsun glared at him a little longer before making off with the jacket, promising to return it to it's owner.

-//-

After a week with the jacket Yongsun nearly forgot that it was (technically) stolen.  It was comfortable, a little big for her, but she loved oversized clothing.  Plus, she reasoned, the real owner must not have cared much about it if they left it on the ground.  Who forgets a jacket?  This thing was huge.

She withdrew her arms into the sleeves like a turtle, and curled up into herself as she sat down in one of the study pods.  Her cultural identity notes were spread out in front of her.  The cursor on her laptop screen blinked teasingly.  Essay, essay, essay... she heard it like a whisper in her head, until she was nodding off in the coat, leaning her head against the cushion.

-//-

"Hey!"

Yongun was being shaken awake.

When the fog behind her eyes cleared, she saw a girl with short blonde hair, dark brown eyes, and shimmery red lipstick.  Her lips were pulled into a pout; her gaze steely.

"What is it," Yongsun said around a yawn.

The girl planted her hands on her hips.

"I lost my jacket a couple weeks ago.  I checked lost and found but they said they didn't take clothes.  It wasn't where I left it so I thought someone must have taken it."

"Left it?"  Yongsun rubbed her eyes.  "You call tossed beneath a bench 'leaving' it?"

"So you did steal it!"

Yongsun frowned at the nail being pointed at her.  She held the jacket tighter around her body.  "I didn't steal anything, I found this.  I tried finding it's owner but I couldn't.  I wasn't just gonna leave it in the rain."

"Okay well it's mine," she held out her hands, "give it back."

Yongsun frowned harder.  She sat up, folded her arms across her chest.  "How do I know this is really yours?"

The girl sighed.  "There's a secret pocket on the left side.  I always keep my favorite chapstick in there."

Yongsun's eyebrows shot up in surprise.  She felt around inside the jacket.  Sure enough there was a secret pocket.  How did she not notice it before?

She shrugged sheepishly.  "Sorry."  She slipped the jacket off reluctantly.  "Here you go."

The girl took the jacket gently, her eyes scanning all over Yongsun.

"Did you bring anything else to wear today?  It's cold outside."

Yongsun shrugged.  She pulled her papers closer to her, yawning again, and tried to force herself to finally write her stupid essay.

The girl was watching her, biting her lip subconsciously.

"Um," she spoke after a while, "do you mind if I sit with you?"

Yongsun looked up at her skeptically.

"Hey, sorry I was rude I just... this jacket was really expensive and I was... I was really sad when I lost it."

Yongsun shook her head.  Looking back up at the girl she saw the hardness in her expression melt away.  Behind the lipstick and the lashes and the extremely sharp fingernails, she mostly looked nice.  Soft.

She scooted over.  "I'm supposed to be working on this stupid essay so..." she shrugged, "Sorry if I don't talk much."

The girl chuckled.  "You look like you are someone who talks a lot."

Yongsun shoved her.  Almost immediately after she apologized.  "Sorry I don't-"

The girl laughed again.  "It's okay!  I probably deserved that.  My friend always says I need to watch my mouth."

Yongsun cracked a smile.  "My friends say that too."

The other girl held out her hand.  "I'm Hyejin by the way."

"Yongsun."  They shook.

Hyejin left her jacket on the seat and stood up.  "I'm kind of hungry.  I was going to the tea place downstairs when I saw you.  Want me to get something for you?"

Yongsun shook her head quickly.  "No it's fine I-"

Hyejin winked at her.  "I guess I'll just have to surprise you then!"  

Yongsun gaped.

"Trust me, I have impeccable taste in food."

-//-

Yongsun was falling asleep again, and Hyejin was no better.  She had her headphones on, and was leaning against the pillow.  While Yongsun got maybe a page and half written Hyejin had simply been dozing off.  After Yongsun's head abruptly hit the table Hyejin was startled awake.  She saw Yongsun rubbing her cheek with a sour expression on her face.

Hyejin giggled.

"I can't believe you!" she exclaimed. "You're like a cartoon character."  She leaned forward despite Yongsun's protests, and rubbed the spot where Yongsun hurt herself.

"I think you're done for today," Hyejin said, "Lets go."

Yongsun sighed, packed up her stuff and hoisted her backpack over one shoulder.  The two of them trudged downstairs sleepily.  Hyejin was about to wave goodbye to Yongsun when she noticed it was raining, and Yongsun had nothing but a t-shirt on.

"Wait!"  She held Yongsun back by her wrist.

Hyejin put the jacket into Yongsun's hands.

"You can borrow it one more day," she tilted her head shyly, "I brought another jacket anyways.  Just," she pulled out her phone, "give it back to me tomorrow okay?  Give me your number."

Yongsun typed her number in slowly, in a daze.

Hyejin smiled at her once the number was saved.

"I'll text you!"  And then she walked off in a flash of glory, boots clacking loudly against the floor tiles, tossing the hood of her jacket over her curly hair as she walked out into the rain.

Yongsun tugged Hyejin's jacket over her shoulders and sighed once she was enveloped by the familiar warmth.

-//-

A month later and Yongsun still hadn't returned the jacket.

Over lunch at Panera Hyejin was examining Yongsun in the jacket and decided, "you look good in my clothes."

Yongsun blushed and shoveled a forkful of pasta down .

"Thank you," she choked.

Hyejin beamed, as she usually did when she managed to get Yongsun flustered.  She dug around in her bag.  "My friend Wheein bought me this snapback.  They really suit her but I think they make my head look weird.  You should try it on."

She placed it on Yongsun's head without asking permission, tilted the lid upwards slightly and fixed Yongsun's hair over her shoulder.

"Wow!"  She gasped.  "You look totally cool!  Like you belong in a hip hop music video or something."

Yongsun choked again.  "AS IF."  She laughed, once the food had passed, and Hyejin stared at her curiously.

"What?"

"Nothing it's just," Yongsun wiped away a tear, "I always wanted to be a singer.  I used to watch those videos and like -pfft- learn all the dances."

Hyejin was laughing with her.  

"Me too!  Oh my god I had like... the whole Bye Bye Bye routine memorized-"

"-you're such a nerd!"

"Shut up, you're a nerd!"

-//-

They were both nerds.  

Nerds with closets full of vintage hip hop t-shirts and oversized black jackets, and one of them (Yongsun) with way too many pins that she decorated a (reluctant) Hyejin's backpack with.

"I feel like we're really making a fashion statement," Hyejin said, while tipping her sunglasses down to look at Yongsun as they walked to the student center.

Yongsun giggled behind her freshly manicured nails.  "I don't usually wear this much makeup."

"It looks good on you," Hyejin promised.

Truthfully they weren't really checking for anyone else's reaction.  According to Yongsun's friend Byulyi she looked like she was trying too hard.  According to Hyejin's friend Wheein "whooo get some"

-//-

It happened after Yongsun's conflict analysis class.  She's gathering up all her stuff when Hyejin walked in, surprising her.

"Aren't you done with classes by now?"

Hyejin shrugged, toeing the ground shyly.  "I figured we could hang out.  I got a coupon for Olive Garden."

Yongsun snorted, "Olive Garden?  What happened to your impeccable taste?"  She said this while pinching Hyejin's cheek.

Hyejin rubbed the spot tenderly, looking anywhere but Yongsun as she held out the coupons.  

"Chain restaurants have a different vibe.  A two broke college students who like to pretend to be fancy kind of vibe?"

Yongsun grinned at her.  "I never say no to food, you know that right?"

Hyejin grinned back.

-//-

"How much do I owe you for tonight?"

Hyejin shook her head.  

"Nothing.  It was my treat."

Yongsun frowned, so Hyejin rolled her eyes and slapped her lightly on the arm.

"Why are you being like this?  We've had lunch together like a million times and I've never asked you to pay me back before."

"Yeah but..." Yongsun stared down at her lap as they approached a red light.  Her hands gripped the steering wheel tightly.  "This was a little more expensive than fast food.  Are you sure you don't want me to pay you back later?"

Hyejin shook her head.  She patted Yongsun's thigh lightly.

"Just think of me as your sugar mama."

Yongsun burst into laughter, and Hyejin winced as though she was offended by the sound, but secretly she was quite enjoying it.  Yongsun's laugh could fill a room, or ten rooms probably.  Hyejin liked that.  Yongsun looked really nice and innocent on the outside but on the inside her personality was big enough to fill several books probably, with how intersting she was.

Once the laughter died down (and they approached another red light) Yongsun reached over, slapped Hyejin back.  

"So then what does that make me, your chauffer?"

Hyejin smiled.  "We're like the knockoff Bodyguard imitation."

Yongsun started laughing again, and Hyejin's heartbeat kept her awake the entire way home.

-//-

It was the end of the semester, and Yongsun didn't need to wear Hyejin's jacket anymore, but she still hadn't returned it because Hyejin stopped asking.  When she saw it as she was packing her back for her last day she frowned.  She didn't want to part with it, but just in case Hyejin needed it, or they wouldn't see each other for a long time, Yongsun really should return it.

She folded it and put it away, feeling some type of sadness she couldn't recognize.

-//-

"You can have it."

Yongsun was floored.

"But... but this jacket was expensive?  You said so yourself, you bought it with your first paycheck!"

Hyejin shrugged, like she had been doing the past five minutes and Yongsun was getting annoyed.  She grabbed Hyejin's shoulders and held them in place.

"Seriously Hyejin, just take it.  If I want to borrow it again next semester I know you'll let me, but it's yours, you paid for it."

Hyejin took the jacket back slowly.

"You'll call me over the summer, right?"

Yongsun laughed.  "Of course?  I mean unless you're busy-"

"-I won't be too busy for us to hang out."

Yongsun shrugged now, and folded her hands over her stomach.  "Okay well I mean.. it was great meeting you this semester.  I'd... I'd like to hang out later if you want?"

"Tonight?"

Yongsun laughed.

"A little early isn't it?"

Hyejin laughed, leaning forward slightly.  "Break starts as soon as you finish your stupid health policy exam."

Yongsun flushed.  The sun just peered out from behind a cloud and she startd to sweat a little.  She held onto Hyejin's waist to stop her from falling over onto Yongsun.

"I guess you're right."  She shrugged again, trying to look away from Hyejin's eyes but found that she couldn't do so.  "What do you want to do?"

And Hyejin will blame the wind at first but it happened, she leaned forward a little too much and their lips met, and Yongsun was holding on to her tight, but otherwise frozen on the spot, until her lips started moving (Yongsun doesn't remember telling them to, but...) and then they were definitely kissing and the breeze had stopped and a cloud rolled over the sun again but Hyejin was still leaning forward, and Yongsun was still feeling very hot all over.

-//-

So she kept the jacket.

And as a bonus she kind of got a girlfriend too.