Chapter 1

to build a home

Sun Hee’s café is a hit.

Situated in the middle of three universities, the café became a piece of home for sleepless students and struggling graduates at different times of the day about half a year from its opening. In the mornings, they would cater to sluggish young adults forcing caffeine and food into their bodies to function normally. By lunch time, professionals on the rush would find their way into her place, obliterating most of the quick meals they could serve. Afternoons would come with students beginning to fill the couches on the second story of the café, meeting with their respective groupmates. At night, the place would be abuzz with the rush of students and workers alike.

(If she’s feeling generous, Sun Hee would even save a few seats in a private room away from all the ruckus for those who wanted a quiet evening in candlelight.)

She liked watching people in their element. She watched them break under the demands of their responsibilities. She listened to their stories as they thrive in their respective environments. She would bring out complementary pastries or drinks when their moods are down, or when they have something to celebrate about. She loved acknowledging every little moment, knowing that it may never happen again.

(She couldn’t understand the compulsion, but she never did mind it.)

Among all her customers, she found a favorite in the form of Ji Eun Tak.

Maybe it was because she saw how the young woman struggled to finish her last leg of her college life and finally get to the company she wished to work on. When she was finishing the last of her requirements, Eun Tak would spend her nights revising on her favorite spot at the café – a love seat chosen and favored by her brother, who dubbed the same spot as his favorite. Kyung Hye, her most senior staff member, took a shine on the girl and would usually sit with her as the rush began to wan before midnight. Sun Hee got curious because Kyung Hye has always been rough on the edges (which she liked the most about the woman when she hired her), and the girl was able to soften Kyung Hye a bit.

She didn’t disappoint.

Eun Tak was a delight to talk with. She could be sharp-witted one moment, endearing on the other, and contemplative the next. Something about her was so gentle, and the comfort she offered brought a hint of peace within her.

(Peace was something difficult to gain with her brother.)

--

“Eun Tak-ah! Wake up!”

The woman being called rolled down the floor, dragging her comforter with her in a shapeless lump. Beneath layers of cloth, she groaned, shaking the sleep off her clouded mind. From the lack of sunlight streaming from her windows, she deduced that it was an ungodly hour on a weekend when she should most certainly be catching up with rest.

The knocking continued, urging her to stand.

With eyes half-open, she tiptoed for the peephole. The visitor had her alert in a moment. She quickly unlocked her door.

“Kyung Hye unnie?”

The woman squealed upon seeing her, giving her a huge hug and shaking her frame. Eun Tak was surprised by the strong grip of the slender woman, and attributed it to the physicality of her multiple jobs.

“Happy birthday, Eun Tak-ah!”

So it was her birthday. The thought was sobering on Eun Tak’s part.

She hasn’t really celebrated her birthday in the past few years. When she was a child, her mother never let her feel the financial constraints they have with the absence of her father in their life. Her mother gave her a beautiful albeit quiet childhood, with them making the most of their time together.

Her mother lived to see her enter college, but not long enough to watch her march as she finished her degree. She had set every step for her, and she could live her life comfortably because of her mother’s planning.

Celebrating felt…futile without her.

Then she chanced upon this café, and a tiny bit of hope came in the form of her new friends.

Kyung Hye was the usual server whenever she would drop by, and their friendship formed over silly conversations and refills of coffee. The older woman took her under her wing, never letting her succumb to the loneliness she would typically get lost into in the middle of her tasks. They would meet for lunch at Kyung Hye’s home, where they would bring their own share of food and spend time just talking.

The surprise however was Sun Hee, the café owner and Kyung Hye’s employer.

Young, confident, with a hint of sass in every move. Sun Hee sat across her one day and began talking about people. She offered her a plate of chips she was munching on along with sheet music she was jotting on, and asked her about how friendship sounds like. Something about the young woman (a few years older than her with a successful business under her belt, which Sun Hee waved off as a privilege for being a trust fund baby) was peculiar, but she was quite brilliant.

Eun Tak adored her.

Between her two friends, Eun Tak could be out of her funk in a snap.

“Unnie, I love you but couldn’t you have come a bit later?” Eun Tak groaned, earning a hit on the shoulder.

“Aish! Stop complaining now.” Kyung Hye pushed Eun Tak inside the house. “Just take a show, get dressed. Don’t make me wait!”

Sometimes, making friends with two demanding women could get on her nerves.

But she couldn’t deny how touched she is for their sweetness.

--

“Maybe you should stop working at the company and start cooking here.”

“If I do that, will you pay me?”

“No.”

Shin scoffed at her sister’s smug look.

It was a rare day that he was able to escape the confines of his office for a few hours with her sister. With his return and definite stay in the country, their grandfather had been subtly directing company work towards him. It was something he anticipated. After all, he was molded throughout his life for this.

(At the expense of his childhood. At the expense of his relationship with his father.)

“How has Deok Hwa been? I haven’t seen that punk in a while.”

“Deok Hwa is a quick study once he gets his head out of his , or any woman he fancies.”

“Orabeoni!”

“What do you expect? He’s at an age where his hormones have taken over his faculties.”

“You’re hopeless.”

He is hopeless. I am not. I have a company to run.”

Shin closed the stove, letting the last of the pancakes lie over the others. He put butter over the freshly cooked ones, followed by the drizzling of maple syrup across the entire plate. Pleased with the end product, he placed it at the center of the dining table.

Sun Hee groaned at the sight of food. “Gosh, you’re fattening me up.” Two pieces quickly made their way to her own plate.

“You’re skinny as a twig. Eat.” Shin pointed at her with his fork, getting his own piece.

The siblings shared breakfast in comfortable silence. It was a quiet morning at the café, with the universities yet to start. The few present were those who stayed over the break.

“Will you be home for dinner?” Sun Hee asked, adding another piece to her plate. Shin smirked when he saw it, but didn’t say a thing about it.

“I won’t. I will be on a video conference until late, so don’t wait up.”

“At this rate, you’ll be a bachelor for the rest of your life.”

He pointed at her, his syrup-laden fork waving at her face. “How about I find you a life companion, eh? Maybe that will keep you off my back.”

“Who says life companion these days?” The teasing look on her face melted to one of concern. “You don’t have to take care of me all your life. I’d rather have you taking care of yourself.”

“There’s nothing to worry about.” Averting her gaze, his eyes dropped to his watch. “I’ll go now. I have a few errands to finish before work.”

He placed a kiss on her forehead before walking out of the staff room.

--

Shin shook his head as he closed the door.

He knew Sun Hee worried, and she is a good worrier. She knew which questions to ask, and how she could shift the topic to wherever she wants to. She could give him one look, and he would spill his guts (his aches, his loneliness, his sorrows, his worries). It has been the most difficult part of living together for a long, long time now, and all he could do to save himself is to avert from her focus.

(It has been a tiring few years.)

He was too preoccupied with his thoughts that he almost missed the person entering the café.

His quick reflexes saved the small body from toppling back.

(Her hands felt somewhat familiar, like hands he would have held a thousand times back.)

“I’m sorry I wasn’t looking.” The person apologized, cropped hair falling to her face as she bowed her head in apology.

(His mouth felt dry all of a sudden, and he had to swallow to make a proper response.)

“It’s alright. Be careful next time,” he politely answered.

(The woman lifted her head, and something in his chest hurt something fierce as he stared at her. He couldn’t resist the pull because she’s shining.)

The woman – more woman with a hint of childhood at the edges of her features – met his eyes. She gave him a small smile before stepping out of his way.

Kyung Hye, his sister’s senior staff, came behind the woman. She greeted him.

“Are you with the woman who just—“ he pointed his thumb back to the direction the woman-child went to.

“Oh, yes director. She’s Ms. Sun Hee and I’s friend, and we’re celebrating her birthday.”

Even as he stepped out of the café, he couldn’t help but look back at the woman who was now in his sister’s embrace.

--

(He didn’t see her turn after being hugged by Sun Hee as his figure disappeared.)