Epilogue

When in Paris

Epilogue - 2 Years Later

The room seems to spin as people run frantically to and fro around me - waiters carrying hot plates of appetizers hurriedly to the crowd milling about the area, staff tying up celebratory balloons and a band setting up on the stage in the corner, propelling the party into full swing. I watch as the mass of people, ladies and men dressed to the nines in all sorts of wonderful clothing, walking about greeting each other, chatting with champagne glasses in hand. I peer through the crowd, looking for one person in particular. I smile when I spot him.

Khun approaches me; he looks absolutely charming dressed in a dark green suit, and I can't help but breathe out a long sigh of contentment when I realize how lucky I am that this man is actually mine forever. He looks nervous, and I slip my arm around his waist comfortingly as I laugh, "There's no need to look like that, baby. You've done a good job."

It's the grand opening night of our new restaurant - something we've worked towards for months. Shortly after Nichkhun and I had gotten engaged, we began talking seriously about our future. We realized then that it was a shared ambition of ours to set up a classy establishment in the centre of Paris, something that would eventually become a reality for us a few years later. It has sort of evolved into a new start; a fresh, clean slate to properly start our lives together, and so here we are, surrounded by our closest friends celebrating a new chapter.

"I know, but I can't help but feel a little anxious," Nichkhun says, playing with the collar on my own suit. He has a point, this project has pretty much become his brainchild since it's all he's talked about for months.

"Look around us, Khun. Seriously, look at all these people and how much fun they're having! All our hard work has paid off, especially yours." I say, and Nichkhun's head turns to observe the crowd. His face finally relaxes, and he turns back to face me.

His slides his hand to my shoulder and when I stare into his eyes, which are just as mesmerizing as when I first met him, I see that he's incredibly happy. "I couldn't have done it without you," he says proudly, his smile lighting up his eyes as the corners of them crinkle. "I'm so glad I married you," he laughs, patting my shoulder affectionately. I wrap my other arm around his waist now, interlocking my fingers behind his back so that he's fully enveloped in my embrace. The band finally starts to play, and on instinct I start swaying us to the soft music that reaches our ears.

We're wrapped in our own tiny bubble, oblivious to the world around us, and I rest my forehead against his. "I'm glad I married you too, honey." I whisper, rocking our bodies gently from side to side as the sound of classical music floats around us. It's somewhat reminiscent of our first dance, at our wedding, which was just over a year ago and yet still fresh on my mind as if it happened yesterday. I feel a similar sense of elation flowing through my body to that time, and it makes my lip curl happily.

We're broken out of our moment by the sound of an amused chuckle beside us. I turn my head to glare playfully at whoever it is that dared to disturb us, but I feel my face light up when I realize who it is.

"Get a room, you two," Ji-eun laughs, shaking her head with bemusement at us. It's the first time either of us have seen her tonight, so we break apart with a sense of embarrassment as if we were two teenagers getting caught being all lovey-dovey. She looks incredible, wearing a stunning floor length dress with her hair done up into a loose bun atop her head. I had no idea she scrubbed up so well, even though I've known her for just over two years and she's basically my best friend.

"Congratulations!" She yells excitedly, pulling the both of us into a tight hug. As she pulls away, I notice something shining in the corner of my eye. I catch her hand as she lowers it, and gasp.

"I think congratulations are in order for you too, if this is what I think it is," I say, staring at the glittery ring on Ji-eun's finger. "He finally proposed to you then!"

She nods enthusiastically, smiling at both myself and Khun. Not long after myself and Nichkhun married, Ji-eun met a wonderful man whom she seems to completely adore. It makes me happy to see her moving on with her life, though it's sad she wont be around as much anymore.

"Come on, let's go and dance a little. You two deserve to enjoy this night more than anyone else here." She says, grabbing both our arms and pulling us closer to the band who have now started to play a more upbeat song. Myself, Ji-eun and Khun disappear into the crowd, laughing joyfully - satisfied that we've all managed to reach a point in our lives where we can truly be happy.

 

A/N: And we've finished! I want to thank every single person who has read this little story of mine, ily!! :) I hope you've enjoyed it, and I'll hopefully see some of you with a new story in the future! ~HaniUnni