when you imagined your fantasies

when you imagined your fantasies

Your hands were linked so tightly that you were sure that if the day was any hotter you’d have to pull back because of the sweat. As it is though everything is perfect. You could have done without the smearing of ice cream on your face but from Youngjae’s standpoint you could understand the draw of it. Still, you were going to get him back for it later. Things were perfect right in this moment, the way that the sunlight glinted off his hair and his eyes crinkled ever so slightly at the corners as he looked at you. Everything was perfect.

“Ferris wheel?” Youngjae’s voice brought you back to the present, leaving you with a blush that you were sure would show through were it not for the make up that you’d hurriedly put on this morning. On any other day you put great care into your make up but Youngjae had shown up at was the equivalent to sparrow twit o’clock on a Sunday morning (read: 10 am) and announced that there was going to be a special parade on at 11. His smile and little jumps of excitement were enough to rouse you and sloppily put on make up before you left. You were beginning to regret that decision at 12 when you hadn’t managed to apply setting powder you could literally feel yourself sweating it off.

Heights weren’t exactly your thing either but somehow that smile that had been plastered on Youngjae’s face since you arrived was enough to convince you otherwise. “Sure thing, but,” you paused, watching his brows furrow, “only us in the compartment okay?” you clarified. He brightened up immediately and you could tell that it was because he thought that you were being romantic, in reality it was just because you didn’t really want anyone but him seeing you about to lose your bundle. As you reflected on it though, that concept was rather romantic too, just /less/ romantic than the alternative.

It didn’t take you long to reach the ferris wheel, rather it would have taken you less time had Jae had insisted at stopped at every single sideshow attraction that the park possibly had to offer along the way. When you finally reached the ferris wheel you had to leave the now numerous bags that you had accumulated over the course of about 20 metres with the operator, understandably slightly grumpy about that and the request that you get a capsule to yourself. You heard something about ‘young couples these days’ harshly whispered over your shoulder but Jae’s hand in yours was enough of a reason to let it go and focus on the sheer delight he was taking from the experience. You settled into the seats relatively easily, your head naturally leaning on to Jae’s shoulder as the shudder of movement ran through the metal and up through your feet.

Your hand slowly and gently tightens around his, fear settling in your stomach, you’d forgotten exactly how much heights were not your thing. Jae seems to sense it and soon you feel his hand brushing your fringe a little and a soft press of his lips against your crown. “It’s okay sweetheart, I’m here,” he whispers before pulling you a little closer and rubbing his free hand against your knee. In any other circumstance you would find it to be patronising and annoying but the sheer care he was showing for you seemed to negate your naturally fiery spirit and instead brought a smile of relief to your face. “I spy with my little eye, something beginning with a B,” his deep voice was a grounding point for you as you felt the space rise every higher, pulling you further away from the sweet calm of solid ground.

Your laugh was shaky at best as you cast your eyes to look out at the view below, not really sure what you would be looking for but competitive nonetheless. “Balloon?” you suggested as you spotted what was most likely one of the balloons they gave to kids free when they entered the gates floating through the air and most definitely away from the person it belonged to. “Mm not quite honey,” Jae said, voice soft, knowing the failure would annoy you somewhat but with a hint of a relief that his distracting technique was working.

This time you focus a little more sharply, aware now that the carriage was lowering as the wheel completed it’s first rotation. “Bathrooms?” this time you’re a little more sure since these were more a fixed point but the soft disapproving sound that he made gave away that he had gotten you again. A grunt pushed its way passed your lips before you puckered them and looked back out across the landscape, uneasily sighing as you saw it move down and away from you. Jae’s grip on your hand quickly squeezed reassuringly and your breaths turned more steady.

“…boat?” You ask, unsure as you spy the moat that ran around the centre of the park.

“YES!!!!” Jae announced with a brilliant laugh as you begin your descent towards the ground. You’d be relieved about the descent but you’re too busy glaring at Jae for how goddamn loud his yell had been in your ear. “I’m sorry,” he adds sheepishly, pouting, fully aware of the fact that you can’t actually get upset enough to yell at him properly when he makes that face. A fact that is sincerely unfair, especially when he steals your shampoo and conditioner and then never really returns them.

The carriage shudders to a stop and the door swings open, the conductor peering in with a raised eyebrow before leaning back as Jae moved to step out. “Come on honey,” he encourages over his shoulder, knowing full well that you’re still quietly sulking. You follow as reluctantly as you possibly can, legs steadier than expected when you plant your feet on the shaky metal steps.

“Youngjae?” you say softly.

“Yeah?” he asks, looking back slowly, aware that you don’t use his full name that often.

“Thank you.”

 

AN//

i'm setting up commissions because i am a poor university student and i want to not be poor!

commission me here