if i can hold him

if i can hold him


 
    Rendez-vous
 


 
    Look out on to the Han River, soak in the atmosphere and drink some of the best coffee you’ve had in quite sometime!
 




 
    ~welcome~
 

Yixing only really understood a grand total of…three(?) words that were scrawled on to the board. His understanding of the passage probably would have been enhanced if the words hadn’t been scrawled so messily, it certainly leant itself to the vibe of the café but not so much to the legibility — especially for foreigners. He wasn’t even going to touch the fact that the café’s name was written in French.

Still, a quick look across the menu that was pasted on the inside of the window told him that at least their prices were decent enough and he’d actually be able to scrape by when ordering without needing too much Korean. It wasn’t that he was avoiding learning the language, if he was he wouldn’t be taking extra language courses on top of his extra workload, it was just that he was tired. Hitching his backpack higher on his shoulder he glanced inside once more before quickly manoeuvring into the opening foyer, he’d been beginning to look odd standing alone outside on the pavement.

“Welcome~!” came the cheery greeting from someone that looked like he could still manage to be bored while snowed under with customers. Even if he wasn’t that great at holding a conversation yet Yixing never liked to be rude and replied with a warm smile and a wave.

The quick glance over the café that he was afforded in the moments it took for him to reach the counter to order told him that either they weren’t very popular or he’d just come at the wrong time. “We’re more popular around breakfast, people come for a French breakfast and coffee.” Luckily he wasn’t forced to decipher satoori, a task that had tripped him up more than once, and Yixing was able to guess that people liked their breakfast dishes — but not much else.

He’d decided what he’d wanted before he’d even walked into the shop, and had felt mildly relieved when he’d seen that they did indeed have it on their menu, thankful that he wouldn’t have to walk further away from the campus than he already was. It wasn’t that there weren’t coffee shops closer, just that he’d been told by some of his classmates that they weren’t as good but gouged their prices up, knowing doggedly tired students would pay. He hadn’t heard anything about this place and was hoping that it was because they at least gave you what you paid for.

“I’d like an iced americano, please.” his words hung shaky in the air, a mix of pronunciations and languages finding themselves tumbling off his tongue. The actual beverage was said in English since he wasn’t confident enough in his Korean to transliterate it and the rest was a Mandarin strangled version of Korean. Yixing opened his mouth as if to offer a further clarification of what he meant to say but a quick glance at the way the server’s brows were knitted together told him that was a bad idea. So, instead of actually saying anything he just clamped his mouth shut, smiling awkwardly and trying his best to not look as desperately tired as he was.

Bless him the server held up a finger for a moment before pottering off to the back of the shop. Yixing momentarily thought that he’d been left alone since he was too difficult to actually assist, and really he wouldn’t have blamed the server if that was what he’d done. A breath of relief did push passed his lips though when the man came back, smiley as ever with a menu held in his hand. “Which one?” a prayer of thanks settled in Yixing’s heart as he actually understood what the man was saying and he was able to scan the words with confidence in what he was actually meant to be doing.

He spotted the words ‘Iced Americano’ written in hangul he could actually read and pointed to it quickly, happy about the fact that he might actually be getting precious caffeine into his system. “Ahhh iced americano!” Yixing listened to him, mentally noting the way that he said the words, hoping that he’d actually be able to remember them at a later date. “Okay~!” The perky affirmation pierced through his concentration and Yixing couldn’t help the relieved smile that flooded his face when he looked up at the man — dimples and all.

Thank you.” it was one of the only phrases that Yixing was totally sure on, and this was the first occasion that he’d felt it with such sincerity.

A mega-watt smile filled the other’s face, only broken for him so say, “It’s okay. You did good.” before moving back to ringing up Yixing’s order. The math of trying to figure out what notes and coins he needed to slide across the counter served as a welcome distraction to the way that Yixing’s ears were positively burning.

Whether it was the praise or the smile that gave him the blush, Yixing wasn’t sure he wanted to know.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

“Baekhyun. My name is Baekhyun.” Yixing struggled stifle laughter as the voice rose over the top of the looming coffee machine, well aware that the person standing behind it could and would be aggressive if he felt his honour demanded it.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

It was a unpleasantly warm, and yet, wet lunchtime when Yixing first saw the true strength of  Baekhyun’s wrath.

All the noises of the café had pretty much melted into nothing about ten minutes after he’d sat down with his drink. It’d become his routine to visit the little café each afternoon, buying himself his daily dose of afternoon caffeine and saying hello to Baekhyun. Routine was where he felt safest, especially after his move to Korea, so Rendez-vous was soon where you would find Yixing.

It was the slam of a fist against the counter that drew him out of the reverie that was language notes and self-recitation. “Whaddaya mean ‘no’? I’m asking you out Pretty Boy.” Yixing couldn't really understand what the man was saying because he spoke in a heavy satoori but the tone wasn’t pleasant and the fear that flitted across Baekhyun’s face set his teeth on edge. Scanning the café told him there weren’t many people around and he knew for a fact that the manager had gone out to an all afternoon meeting ten minute before he’d arrived.

“I mean ‘no’. I don’t want to go on a date.” Baekhyun’s voice slipped a little here and there but Yixing actually understood what he was saying. It was strange to piece together a situation from one side’s words but he tried the best he could, he owed it to Baekhyun. There was still a counter between the two so Yixing wasn’t too worried but he watched the man carefully, wary of his superior height to Baekhyun’s.

Yixing couldn’t actually see the man’s face but he was sure that if he could there would be a sly smirk pressed firmly on to his lips. “I don’t really take no for an answer sweetcheeks.” He still couldn’t decipher what the man was saying but there was an upset look in Baekhyun’s eyes that Yixing entirely didn’t like and he was forced out of his chair. The scraped of the legs against the hardwood floor drew the unwelcome man’s attention to him — Yixing would be scared had he not seen the look of relief on Baekhyun’s face.

The moment that those narrowed eyes settled on his face Yixing could feel every ounce of knowledge he had about the Korean language leave his brain and there was only Mandarin left over. “Leave.” He tried his best to keep his voice even and gaze steady, it didn’t do to look like he was wavering in his demand. “He doesn’t like you. Leave.” At this point he’d forgotten how to even conjugate with honourifics and while he knew that it would be problematic in any other situation; the fear that was palpable in the air spurred him on without care.

A chill settled into his bones as the man stepped forwards, apparently unperturbed by the fact that Yixing was taller than him. “So? I like him.” The insistent satoori still hung in his words and Yixing was forced to shoot a desperate look at Baekhyun, hating that he needed to call on the other for help when he was supposed to be defending him.

Baekhyun’s look wasn’t upset, nor did he shake his head in a denial of the assistance Yixing so gravely needed, instead he shot him a smile that warmed Yixing’s heart. “He can’t speak Korean.” fear shook the already thin voice of the barista, prompting anger to thrum through his body. While the intruder’s body stayed facing Yixing, his head spun to look at Baekhyun, “at least not well. He can’t understand satoori, anyway! So just speak normally okay?” his gaze ran straight through the man that stood between them and their eyes met, if only for a moment.

Clearly the guy wasn’t too impressed with Baekhyun’s interjection and a withering huff of air puffed out in front of him. “I don’t like it when you talk too much.” he grunted, lips curled and contempt out on full display, prompting a well of anger to rush up to Yixing’s mouth, loosening his tongue and mind.

“Get away. He doesn’t like you. He…” his broken Korean trailed off as his and Baekhyun’s gazes met once again and he suddenly became sure of what he wanted to say. “He likes me. I’m here for date.” A courage that he didn’t totally have steadied his voice and stride as he stepped forwards, aiming to end up at Baekhyun’s side. His stride was instead interrupted by an arm that was decidedly not Baekhyun’s swinging out in front of him, slamming into his chest with an unpleasant thwack.

That right there was when Baekhyun snapped.

Yixing hadn’t fallen to the ground or anything too drastic, but his chest did hurt and he needed to take a moment to rub where the fist had met with the rather determined pace he’d picked up. “How. ing. Dare. You?” Yixing had been around enough classmates during finals to pick up the swear word and felt a sense of amusement pulling his lips as he heard Baekhyun bite out each word. “I said no, you ert!” The end of his sentence was punctuated as Baekhyun swung a fist up and slammed it across the, still unnamed, man’s face. The small barista didn’t stop there, continuing on with his attack until the man doubled over, still internally registering that what was once his prey had turned to predator. “Get out!”

A erted sense of satisfaction settled into Yixing’s bones as he realised that he understood every single word of Baekhyun’s spew of anger.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

So, rather than defending anyone all Yixing got for his efforts was to be sat on the side of the Han River with a surprisingly tentative barista checking if he was fine. He really was okay, as he kept insisting, but his broken Korean skills weren’t helping his case. They’d been sat on the side of the river for a good half an hour and all they’d gotten were ‘knowing’ looks and concerned gazes. People had been whispering but either Baekhyun couldn’t hear them or he wouldn’t dumb down what they were saying — Yixing just hoped that his ignorance was bliss.

It’s the third time that Baekhyun has gotten up to walk around him once more when Yixing repeats a tired “I’m really fine.” the defiance lost from his voice long ago. He’d been feeling rather deflated since he’d seen Baekhyun’s bruised knuckles, clearly he hadn’t been holding his hand properly when he’d punched and clearly he’d punched the wrong spot. “Hands.” he said meekly, pointing to the blossoming blue tinge to the skin, pausing for thought as he tried to remember what word would be best to say. “Dad…” he trailed off as he watched the confusion settle on to Baekhyun’s face.

Yixing was about to ask what he’d done wrong and was forming the sentence in his head when realisation dawned across Baekhyun’s face. “Ohhhhhhhhh!” a laugh rumbled up through his chest, shaking his shoulders like they did whenever they finally figured out what Yixing wanted to order in the mornings or afternoons. “Hurts. That’s what you meant.” he explained, flashing an eye smile that Yixing, privately, wouldn’t mind seeing more often. “The words um…” Baekhyun’s line of sight directed him to the other side of the river and Yixing was tempted to follow, in case he was missing out on something. “…ah! The words sound the same.” his reverie was broken and Yixing realised he’d been looking at the other’s side profile the entire time, just in time to bring his eyes back to his own lap before Baekhyun caught him.

Nodding slowly he pieced the words together, thinking he understood what Baekhyun meant and he took a moment to repeat the words to himself, trying to tell the difference between the way they sounded. After a few moments he decided that he’d have to rely on context to back him up at any future points. “Your hands, sore.” and while he wasn’t entirely sure that he had all the right sentence placements in there Baekhyun’s cursory glance to his knuckles told him that he’d been understood; which was all the really mattered in the end — at least until he had to sit an exam. “Sore?” Yixing hoped the upwards inflection was enough to indicate his worry.

Baekhyun flexed his fingers and Yixing didn’t miss the way that a wince flickered across his face as he did so. “Yeah. Sore.” clearly Baekhyun saw no reason to lie and Yixing was thankful, offering an apologetic smile to the other, if he hadn’t gotten involved there wouldn’t be any reason for Baekhyun to be hurt. Awkward silence hung above their heads for a moment more before being broken by the sound of Yixing’s feet scraping against the rain loosened soil, he was trying to decide if he wanted to get up or not. His hesitation was broken by the words, “Thank you. For um…helping.” Baekhyun’s sincerity shone through and paired with his smile it was enough to drive Yixing to his feet.

In the hopes that it would be of help, Yixing bent forwards, offering his arm as a support to Baekhyun so that he didn’t have to use his hands more than really required. “…me…because of me…your hands…” He hated the way that he had to drag each sentence out as he searched for the words and hated even more when they didn’t even form a proper sentence. His self loathing was eased somewhat by the warm smile that his words garnered from Baekhyun, a repeat of the eye smile that he silently promised himself he’d see more of no matter what.

“No! It’s um…my…” Baekhyun broke off his sentence to pat his chest with emphasis.

“Pfft I know ‘my’!” Yixing said faux upset, pushing Baekhyun’s shoulder playfully before scrambling in apology as he realised it might hurt.

An embarrassed smile cracked across Baekhyun’s face and he nodded in understanding, “Okay~ it was my anger.” he paused for thought before swinging his arm out in a demonstrative punch. “Not good okay?” Yixing stifled a laugh for a moment before nodding, eyes still shut as he swung his arm up and over Baekhyun’s shoulder, breaking out into laughter soon after.

They stopped by a pharmacy that Yixing had spotted on the walk to the spot that where they’d wound up sitting. While they got some odd looks in the store Yixing had a feeling it was either because he didn’t speak Korean or the rapid way Baekhyun’s knuckles were swelling up — or both. Yixing did want to help Baekhyun pick out the soothing ointment but the best he could do was say ‘cold’ and hope for something good to come of it. Bless him, Baekhyun tried his best to grasp what he was saying and pointed to what Yixing could only guess were all the cooling ointments.

A few moments passed and they eventually found a brand that Yixing recognised, earning a furious nod of his head and a hurried, “This one! This one!”. The shopkeepers’ and pharmacists’ laughs echoed around the small space, Baekhyun simply gave him an appreciative smile and nod as he plucked the product off the shelf, dropping it into the basket they’d picked up at the entrance.

Watching Baekhyun’s bruised digits clench around the basket Yixing knew that they still hurt and the little shake his hands gave assisted his case in no way. “I’ll…do it.” Yixing hoped that his nod towards the basket was enough. A flick of hair hit the side of his cheek as Baekhyun’s fringe jumped along with the sudden lift of his head, the touch serving as a reminder of how close they truly were. Yixing stepped back apologetically, jolting forwards once again as his back hit the display. “Ah, sorry! sorry!” the first apology was mostly for Baekhyun while the second was for the concerned onlooking staff.

Fingers brushed against the curve of Yixing’s jaw. “It’s okay.” Baekhyun said, and for a moment it felt like they were the only ones in the room, “Thank you.” Yixing wasn’t entirely sure what he was referring to until the basket pumped his chest, bringing him back to the words he’d said just moments earlier. Nodding his closed his fingers around the handle just beside Baekhyun’s, wincing as he watched the other tentatively move his fingers to let go. Brows knotting together Yixing’s gaze followed the movement of Baekhyun’s hand back to his side; clearly his thoughts were obvious and Baekhyun piped up with a perky “Yah~ I’m okay, let’s just…go.” While Yixing did want to protest it wasn’t really up to him to dictate how Baekhyun was meant to feel things so he just let it go, hoping the other wasn’t faking just for pretences.

Making the purchase took them longer than Yixing would have liked, since he wouldn’t let Baekhyun help him with the monetary exchange like he usually would have if he was ordering a coffee. “Thank you!” he said, accent lilting in his words as they left the pharmacy, shopping bag swinging in his hands, relieved that he’d be able to help Baekhyun soon. As soon as they left the hole-in-the-wall establishment his attention immediately shifted to the man by his side, “Sit down.” he directed, pointing towards a cement bench as if to emphasise his point. Baekhyun followed along, shooting him a questioning look, even opening his mouth to serve him with some sort of sass before rethinking and snapping it shut with a sheepish smile up to Yixing.

He sat down. “Thank you.”

Concrete hard and cool against his back Yixing settled beside Baekhyun, watching as the dust motes of a summer afternoon bounced off his cheekbones, nose and chin. “Sore?” he asked, sniffling as he rustled around in the bag, smile curling on his lips as Baekhyun laughed. Eventually drawing straight with the tube of balm cool in his hands, it was his turn to laugh. “Still, okay?” Baekhyun closed his eyes and nodded, offering his hands, pain shaking them just a touch and Yixing had to wonder just how badly he’d hurt his hands defending him. Squeezing the ointment on to his right index finger it was but a moment before he was smoothing the creme across the raised knuckles of Byun Baekhyun. “Good?” he asked, unsure and voice wavering as his left hand held Baek’s steady, ensuring that he’d completely covered the sore spots.

Satisfied that he’d applied enough balm Yixing bent forwards, rummaging around for the pressurising bandage the pharmacist had recommended as they’d asked for some pain killers. A hand, gentle more for the owner’s sake than his, settled on his back, began to draw sweeping patterns along his shoulder blades. “Thank you.” The words were bit out, like he had something further to say but Yixing was afraid to ask, instead he stayed bent over, appreciating the gently touch. “For trying. Everyday. Everyday you try, and thank you.” Yixing was glad that his face was buried in the bag as the tears welled in his eyes. “Thank you.” holding back a smile he returned to his original position, tears still where they hung in the limbo between falling and not existing.

Not saying anything seemed to be the simplest thing to do, so Yixing did just that. Quietly unravelling the bandages he kept his eyes glued on the flesh coloured cloth, trying to remember the way his mother had wound his hands after his wushu lessons. It was difficult to hold his hands steady as he wound the fabric gently around Baekhyun’s hands, watching as the ointment soaked into the first layer. “It’s nothing.” He said the words before he even realised that he’d spoken, and flinched a little once it sunk in that he had. It felt like he’d burst the bubble that had settled around them after Baekhyun has spoken. “You’re happy.” a chuckle bubble from his lips as the acknowledgement shredded any hesitation that had settled around his heart. “That’s why I try.” They started looking into each other’s eyes half way through the sentence and it was on the last word that they started smiling simultaneously.

Yixing was forced to blink as the huff of laughter that escaped Baekhyun’s lips fluttered against his eyes and cheeks, reminding him on the breezes that he’d feel on his walks to the café. “That’s the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.” Discontent settled once again into his heart as Yixing realised he didn’t understand anything that Baekhyun said, the other must have recognised the face he pulled, brows knitting together in the way that they only did when he was thinking. A smirk settled on Baekhyun’s face and Yixing was only a little (read: very) shocked by what Baekhyun said next. “I like you Zhang Yixing.” It was perhaps a little lovesick that the thing that made him happiest was the way that Baekhyun said his name.

The tears that had been waiting to fall fell in that moment and Yixing hurried to assure Baekhyun that he wasn’t upset. “I like you too, Byun Baekhyun.” was the only thing that made the other man quiet enough for the purpose of allowing Yixing to wrap his hands. He caught a glimpse of Baekhyun’s smile a couple of times as he paused to figure out what move he was meant to make next. “Done. Thank you.” he whispered as he drew his hands back to his side and he paused to ponder what he was meant to do now that they’d said what they’d both been thinking.

Baekhyun did his thinking for him, cushioned hands coming to rest along his jaw and pulling him forward until both their lips met, and Yixing’s world suddenly came into focus. In the moments before his eyes slipped shut sounds sharpened and colours deepened, brightening all at once and he had to wonder on what he’d been missing out all his life. Defying the instinct that was telling him to grab a hold of Baekhyun’s hand and link their fingers together, Yixing’s hands fell upon Baekhyun’s waist, tugging him closer.

They stayed like that for a moment or three and breaths came hard and fast between them once they broke apart. “That was good.” Yixing spoke in Mandarin, dimples revealing themselves as he realised and watched the confusion flicker across Baekhyun’s face. Tapping his fingers against Baekhyun’s back he decided against explaining, instead pressing a quick peck to Baekhyun’s lips to cement a point he’d made only to himself. Relaxation oozed into Baekhyun’s shoulders and Yixing could feel his gaze on his jawline as he gathered up their things from the pharmacy.

“Let’s go.” Yixing said, smoothing a hand over Baekhyun’s back before standing and looking down at him. Baekhyun followed, offering him a simple nod rather than words in agreement, an unsure content hanging in the air between them.

And if they held hands on the way back to the café? Well that was just how it was.

————————————————————————————————————————————————

They were still talking after the kiss. Yixing just didn’t come into the café. Texts were slowly answered and calls were virtually never answered.

Yixing’s lack of communication with him was why he was where he was now: on the Seoul University campus, completely lost and confused as to why the campus looked like a ghost town. Sure, there were a few passing students and professors that each looked like they hadn’t seen hide nor hair of sleep in the last few weeks. Finally at about the third person that passed him Baekhyun snapped with worry, Yixing’s promise of another meeting outside of work echoing in the back of his head. Reaching out he caught the arm of the student, bowing apologetically as they turned him with eyes more filled with tiredness than the irritation he was expecting.

“Excuse me? Why is the campus so empty?” his voice was shaky and he didn’t bring his eyes up to meet the other’s just quite — he would have bothered were they shorter but not when they were that tall.

The cheery note to the other’s voice surprised him, a pleasant refresher in a sea of faces that looked like they would rip his head off should he bother them. “It’s finals dude. I’m guessing you’re not a student? You look like you’ve had way too much sleep to be studying.” Everything clicked in his head and Baekhyun raised his gaze in surprise.

In a flash he realised he was still holding the student’s arm, letting go and mumbling the appropriate response as he stepped back. “Ah no, I own this café down by the river.” He admitted, thinking that the other knew his profession if he knew he was a student. Logical? No. Polite? Yes.

“Oh~” The student had fully stopped now, holding his books close to his chest as he looked down at the other, drumming his fingers along their spines. “Wait. Rendez-vous?” His face lit up as he said it and Baekhyun momentarily forgot why he was even in the university. It was always nice to have his little place recognised, even if it was just by a not-so small university student.

He nodded, shuffling his feet a little, “Yeah, that’s my place. Do you come there often?” A small piece of his mind told him he should be finding Yixing but another one told him that if he had finals then it wouldn’t hurt to have a chat while he was most likely in an exam.

A grin cracked across the other’s face and he nodded warmly, “Yeah, I go there with my boyfriend, Kyungsoo. We actually met there.” It was ironic (and Baekhyun wasn’t even sure he was using the word right) that someone had met his boyfriend there and goddamn Baekhyun could barely get someone to text back — and he owned the place. “It was recommended to me by a kid in my Law class though, I think his name is like ‘Yixiing’?” He had to admit it was an admirable effort and Baekhyun nodded for points.

It was a relief to hear Yixing’s name and Baekhyun jumped on the opportunity, almost unbelievably grateful that he’d managed to stumble across one of Yixing’s friends on his first go. “Oh? You know Yixing? Do you um, know what finals he has left? I’ve kind of been worrying about him a little.” Baekhyun teased at more information but didn’t want to tell more should Yixing not wanna apply any ~labels~ to their relationship. Like We-Kissed-Once was a label to take seriously.

“Wait are you that Baekhyun kid? Yixing talks about you all the time.” he sounded fed up but Baekhyun felt his heart swell, either in thanks, appreciation or embarrassment (he’d sort it out later.

“Yeah, I’m that Baekhyun kid.” He admitted, rubbing the back of his head, craning his neck to look at the man standing in front of him.

“Ah. Anyways, he said that he’s been looking forwards to seeing you once his exams are over.” the man said it as if they’d spoken about it a bunch of times, spoken about Yixing coming over after exams, cuddling in consolation, cuddling in celebration. Alas, Byun Baekhyun hadn’t been told. “Anyways, I gotta go. He’s got two today but,” the man paused to look at his watch, nodding in a silent confirmation before looking back up at Baekhyun, “I have a meeting with my boyfriend. I just finished my finals.”

Baekhyun nodded, waving goodbye to the student, making a note of his face to watch out for him in the café (he’d need to give him and his boyfriend at least one free drink). He stayed on his tip toes to wave to him until he rounded a corner before pulling his phone out and searching until he found Yixing’s number. He thought against sending him anything for the moment but the teasing profile photo full of dimples and eye crinkles was just too much for him to ignore.

He wasn’t ever going to tell anyone that that was when he put Yixing in his Favourites list.


  [Sunshine Fairy]

I’ll be waiting outside the school. Congrats on finishing finals!

He didn’t get a response but did that really surprise him? No. Baekhyun respected the fact that while Yixing was probably finishing/finished his first final, he still needed to prepare for his second and get that last minute cramming of info into his brain.

In a whirlwind that almost had the Storm Chasers™ coming to get him Baekhyun stayed on campus — except he wasn’t wandering aimlessly this time. He had purpose. Each time he wandered into a shop with more goods that one would think were physically possible for a university student to by, Baekhyun stood out remarkably. Strangely enough? He didn’t really care what looks he got or the strange whispers that he got behind his back. If it made Yixing feel like smiling then he didn’t really mind, he’d step over hot coals for that.

4:30 is the exact hour and minute that Baekhyun ends up standing outside the entrances to the university — it would have been too bothersome for him to try and find Yixing, especially with the mess that would been students leaving rooms after exams.

4:43 is the exact hour and minute that Yixing steps through the broad gates and Baekhyun feels his heart clawing it’s way up to his chest, pulling long and deep cuts with each step Yixing takes, still unaware of what is waiting for him.

Baekhyun stood out like a sore thumb. A giant yellow ‘Happy Birthday’ balloon bobbed right beside his head, a bright bouquet nestled in his left arm and a chocolate box took control of his right hand. Still Yixing did not see him and it took a rather strained. “ZHANG YIXING!” to catch the glancing attention of the student. It was worth it, his smile beamed and Baekhyun was rewarded with those beautiful dimples he’d been smitten with since that fateful ‘Ahhh iced americano!’.

Yixing waded through the crowd, and Baekhyun was relieved more than anything when they were truly face to face, not a single body between them, the only thing blocking them from hugging being the giant bouquet of flowers in his hand. “You worked hard.” Baekhyun stuck with something simple because he knew it was one of the few things that he wanted to say that Yixing would still understand.

Their gazes after Yixing’s eyes rose from the blooms resting against Baekhyun’s chest. “You look beautiful.” Baekhyun opened his mouth to protest, to let him know that he didn’t need to stress himself thinking about what to say next, especially not right after his exams, but Yixing’s finger rose and pressed to his lips, silencing him. “You always look beautiful. You looked beautiful the day I met you. You looked beautiful everyday after that. Your beauty, inside and out, never ceases to surprise me.” It was only once Yixing had finished speaking that the finger on his lips was lifted and Baekhyun was allowed to extend the bouquet of flowers to it’s rightful owner.

Sniffling a little, and trying to convince himself that it was allergies from the flowers, Baekhyun had to accept that that was one of the corniest and most effective confessions he’d ever received. “Smile. Don’t cry.” came Yixing’s soft voice as he brushed tears that Baekhyun didn’t even realise he’d been shedding off his cheeks.

A halting laugh escaped his lips and Baekhyun pouted as he looked up at Yixing, sticking out his bottom lip as far as possible. “All I wanted to do was surprise you and congratulate you for finishing finals.” he whined, still sniffling as he managed to calm his crying down, aware of how stupid he must look.

His forehead tickled with the huff of laughter that hit his fringe and Baekhyun lifted his eyes to meet Yixing’s smiling face. “You did surprise me and you did congratulate me. I don’t have a gift though.” he feigned thoughtfulness and on cue Baekhyun lifted the chocolates, in a form of a bribe so his slip up was forgotten. “I don’t eat chocolate.” In a brief moment of shock Baekhyun thought about railing against the silly game that Yixing thought he would play but he didn’t mind a bit of play and it meant he got the chocolates all to himself. So, instead he tilted his head in faux thought, teasing out the ruse for a minute or so before smirking as he realised what Yixing wanted him to say.

“First date?” Baekhyun said, in Korean.

“First date.” Yixing said, in Mandarin.

And even though neither of them were quite fluent in the other’s language, they both knew what this certain phrase meant.

 

AN//

i'm setting up commissions because i am a poor university student and i want to not be poor!

commision me here