Escape

Fire and Ice
Please log in to read the full chapter

ESCAPE

 

In the south there is fearsome fire in the hills.
Full of dread, the people watch as flames burn upon the ridge.
Fierce winds fan the fury where the fires singe.
Meanwhile there’s hot air blasting forth from high upon the hill,
Pointless wind aimed at stirring some futile acts of men.
Strong winds fan the flames.
Embers ignite the blaze again.
While homes are lost across the land,
A burning night gives way to the dawn of restless men.    -  Mary Havran

 

 

The Eternal King of Ice was a wise and just man. He reigned peacefully. His only weakness was underestimating the enemies. He was so sure of having scattered the Fire Tribe back to the south, that he didn't reckon with another attack so soon. Oh, how wrong he was.

One afternoon I sat on the southern palace wall, watching the far off horizon glow in warm orange and reds. My eyes narrowed suspiciously. What was the Fire Tribe up to? The city underneath my feet buzzed with activity and in the distance I could hear the morning bells chime. No one seemed to have caught onto the spectacle in front of my eyes. Suddenly I sensed a presence behind me. Without turning I knew who it was.

"Hoonie, what are you doing here all alone?"

I pointed towards the glowing sky. My brother came closer and furrowed his eye brows.

"What in the name of the deiities... Heavens! It's the Fire Tribe! I have to warn Father!"

I turned slightly and watched him run off. A few moments later the alarm horns sounded and the ice wall underneath my body trembled. Astonished I directed my eyes towards the south again. A mass of black began to pour over the mountain pass. Red pools of fire flickered between them and a horrid noise of war cries and rattling metal made my teeth chatter.

Quickly I jumped to my feet and ran back to the Grand Hall. The whole Court was assembled. Hushed murmurs escorted me as I neared my brother and Father.

Teukkie grabbed for my hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

Apparently our forces had taken their positions in front of the City already, but they were by far too less to defend us. My Father's face was grief stricken as he gave his orders.

"Women and children are to be taken to the north pass. All youths and men that can hold a sword or wield magical powers are to be summoned to the southern walls. And if the Gods will it, we'll see another dawn."

Then he turned upon us.

"Lee Teuk, I need you to lead the men at the Water Gate. Defend the City for all you can but stay alive. You're the Crown Prince. I trust you to take the Throne of Págos, should I fall."

My brother nodded with an earnest mien and bowed slightly.

"Min Kyung Hoon."

I flinched slightly at his usage of my full name and turned towards my Father.

"You'll be of no use here. Go with the women and children. Help your mother and the Queen escape from the Palace."

I nodded shortly and my heels. My hand slipped from my brother's. I could feel his eyes on me, but I didn't dare to look back. Mortified I made my way past the officials and out of the throne room. Reduced to an incapacitate. My hands balled into fists.

 

...

 

I walked back towards the wall. Underneath at the City walls, our soldiers' silver armours glistened in the morning sun. But they seemed too less compared to the still growing black mass at the horizon. The rest of the City was in a hurry. Women, children and the elderly were rounded up and led towards the small north gate. For a while I looked on. Then I made my decision.

Back in my room I grasped the hilt of my practice sword and took out the simple leather padded uniform. I didn't feel prepared for a war, lest a real fight. But my sword skills came almost no short to my brother's. And I would not stand back and cower with the women, elderly and children, while the people bled. Running out of my room again, I almost collided with Teuk.

"Hoonie, what are you still doing here? The west wing is being evacuated and you should be with... oh no, you don't!"

His eyes had caught the sword which I'd tried to quickly hide behind my back.

"You can't tell me what to do, hyung! I'm going to fight with my people!"

Lee Teuk put an arm around my shoulders and directed me towards the north gate. Away from the southern walls. I grunted and shook off his arm.

"Let me go, Teuk!"

"I can't fight knowing you'll put yourself in danger, little brother!"

"I'm almost of age. There are men younger than myself fighting down there and letting their lives for the City. I am no less than them."

"I know that, Hoonie. But those men aren't you! You're a Prince of Ice. You have responsibilities to uphold. Imagine Father and I don't live through this day and looking at the sheer force against us, this might very well come true. Then you are the only surviving male of royal blood. You'll have to avenge us and take the Throne back. I'm sure Father had this in mind, when he sent you to the pass."

I scowled and gripped the hilt of my sword tighter.

Suddenly a scream and a loud crash sounded through the palace.

Please log in to read the full chapter