as a family

as a family

AN//

listen, i'm not entirely sure what the timeline of this is (AKA when they had kids/when they got together/blah blah blah) but please enjoy this despite my lack of logic. inspired by those cute photos Daeul and Soeul's father posted to his instagram.


  “I’m like TT”

A chorus rose up around the line that wasn’t just confined to the TV, Daeul and Dabin, still nestled in his arms, did the little hand movement and sang along dutifully. “Papa! Why didn’t you do TT?” Dabin’s voice is accusatory, but it’s hard to take her seriously, even with the serious frown she’s sporting.

Chanyeol squeezes his daughter close, nuzzling his nose against hers, “Because if I did TT how was I gonna keep cuddling you and Daeullie?” he teases, pulling away with a kiss to her forehead.

His daughter frowns for a second, processing the information before nodding in understanding, “Then Daeullie and I will to TT for you! Like this!” She grabs her brother’s arm, pulling it into position on his right side while she did the sign under his left eye. “…there.”

It’s a valiant effort on their part, made funnier by just how ridiculously disproportionate their hands looked on his face. “I’m like TT.” His falsetto falls in time with the audio from TV, met with a peal of giggles from his kids, TT being abandoned as they broke down into laughter. “See! This is why Papa and Appa are in EXO! I don’t think I’d make a good member of TWICE!” He teases them, poking their sides as they continue to laugh.

“Papa’s TT was good!” Daeul gasps, eyes still squeezed shut with laughter.

Dabin sits up, stifling giggles and nods, obviously trying to be as sombre as possible, “I think you’d be a good member of TWICE, Papa. You can do anything.” It’s nice to hear, even if Chanyeol knows she’s just saying it as a joke.

Sweeping his children up into a hug, TV becoming background noise, he presses a hundred and one kisses to their faces. “Aw Dabin, you got me shy shy shy.” A renewed wave of laughter splashes over them as Daeul squirms in his arms and Dabin laughs around her embarrassment.


  “My mother always told me to be careful of boys.”

“AHHHHHH BLACKPINK!” Daeul scrambles back to his original position, nestling into the little spot he’d created before Dabin’s teasing. “Shhh noona, I like BLACKPINK.” He pouts his lips before he presses his finger to them, seriousness overtaking him.

His daughter whines a little, something like, “but BLACKPINK is boring.” but Chanyeol settles her back down. The song finishes and they cut to the MCs before Dabin speaks again, “Don’t Appa and Papa know BLACKPINK?”

Daeul whirls around, eyes wide. “Really?! PAPA CAN I MEET THEM? I WANNA MEET THEM! JISOO NOONA IS MY FAVOURITE.”

Chanyeol considers it for a moment, and he couldn’t say no. It would be hard to get around schedules and everything but considering he and Jongdae often brought the kids to recordings it wouldn’t be impossible. “I think they would love to meet you Daeullie. If you wanted to come too , Dabin you’d be welcome. Otherwise you’ll have to stay at grandma’s house again.”

Dabin watches him for a second, considering, “Appa’s mum or Papa’s mum?”

“It would be Appa’s mum this time around. Papa’s mummy is in America for a big holiday.”

“I wanna come with you."

Chanyeol can’t imagine Jongdae would be too pleased to hear his mum had been snubbed but they both knew that Dabin just liked Chanyeol’s mum’s cooking that little bit more. “If they’re promoting at the same time as EXO then we’ll bring you to the recording. And if they’re not I’ll ask them if they want to go to café or something, okay?”

His kids nod astutely before turning their attention back to the TV. ASTRO are being interviewed.

A timer goes off from the oven — there wasn’t anything in there, they’d already eaten — it was a reminder he’d set while he’d cooked dinner, so he wouldn’t forget to set it after. “Okay kiddies, Papa has to get your medicine ready, time to hop off.” Without even looking at him, Dabin and Daeul crawl from his lap and make themselves comfortable on the couch, eyes still glued to the TV. “Tch, kids these days.” he teases over his shoulder as he makes his way to the kitchen, the teasing falls on deaf ears.

The medicine isn’t too complicated, just some children’s Panadol and antibiotics the doctor had told him to pick up earlier in the day. It had been his first solo doctors appointment and two sick kids had proved a handful, he didn’t envy the amount of times Jongdae had needed to do it while Chanyeol’d been busy with his sporadic solo work. It had been worth it though, seeing the relief on Jongdae’s face this morning when he’d had said do it, and that they’d all be okay.

He knew the sub-unit promotions had been straining Jongdae, especially with how much he was used to being with the kids. The fact that Chanyeol was able to stay home more than him was jarring, since it was their first time not promoting together for the group since the kids had been born. Jongdae was happy though, being with his two best friends so often, sharing what he loved with them, and that made it easier for them all to shoulder the burden.

Besides, Daeul and Dabin loved cuddling with Papa and watching Appa at the same time, it was a new luxury they’d quickly taken to.

Cradling the four little measuring cups in his hands — two for Daeul, two for Dabin — Chanyeol called out for them to pay attention to him, instead of the TV, lest they have a repeat of last night.

(Last night was an unfortunate case of Daeul not listening to him and accidentally spilling his Panadol as he tried to sing along to Hyolyn.)

Sat between the two he handed Daeul his two cups and Dabin hers, switching his attention between the two as they downed the medicine without too much complaint. Dabin made a face and Daeul stuck out his tongue but that was about as severe as it got, a good improvement on what Chanyeol was like when he was a kid.

“Papa, when is Appa coming on?” Dabin asked as she handed her two cups back, brows pulled together.

Truth was, Chanyeol wasn’t entirely sure. He’d seen some fan accounts of what order the acts had pre-recorded but he knew better than anyone that things like that weren’t always a good indicator. “Well, Appa, Minseok-hyung and Baekhyunnie are nominated for first place today so that usually means they’re performing at the end.” He offered as he took Daeul’s cups too and headed back to the kitchen.

“I like Minseokkie and Baekhyunnie uncles.” Daeul announced from the couch, scooting back from the edge and tucking his hands under his legs. A small sound from Dabin voiced her agreement.

Chanyeol sat down between them once he came back to the couch and it didn’t take them that long to climb back to where they’d been sitting in his arms. “How about, if they win first tonight we call them and tell them how much we liked their stage and how good they did?” he suggests it almost as a joke, expecting his kids to shout him down with disapproval.

Instead, “YES! I WANT TO!” almost synchronised from the pair of them.

Fever warm hands patter against his chest as they push him as a light encouragement. “Okay, sounds goo- AH SHHHH APPA IS ON NOW!” The intro plays, not too dissimilar to the couple they’d already seen (the kids had insistent on watching every stage that wasn’t too late), using snippets of the two clips they’d released as well as previous performances.

Both children fall silent by his side, hands sliding to his and holding on anxiously, even though this wasn’t even the winner’s announcement. “Appa looks so handsome.” Dabin decides aloud, earning an affectionate squeeze of his hand.

“Yes he is.” he agrees happily, heart warming at the sight of his husband on the screen.

They perform ‘The One’ first and Chanyeol is reminded of when Jongdae had come home after filming the clip for EXO’rdium, tired but smiley because that had been the first thing CBX had done as a group.

(“They’re my best friends.” he’d whispered into Chanyeol’s neck as he’d curled into him, sheets tangling around their legs as they drifted to sleep, hands clasped between them.)

Daeul and Dabin do some of the hand gestures, legs too achey to get up and do the actual moves, but it’s cute nonetheless. Chanyeol corrects them a couple of times when they’re off beat and helps them sync up, even joining in on occasion. As a family they mouth along with the spoken sections, Daeul taking Baekhyun’s parts, Dabin taking Jongdae’s and Chanyeol taking Minseok’s.

Once the first performance is over Chanyeol pulls out his phone and checks the clock, making sure they have enough time before the kids have to get to bed. They’ve got plenty — just as long as they don’t tell the doctor he let them stay up a little later.

While he’s checking his phone Dabin wriggles off his lap, “Papa, I’m getting Daeul and I’s lightsticks! Appa, Minseokkie and Baekhyunnie-uncles don’t have one but EXO’s is good enough, right?!” She runs off, fast despite her fever, soon returning with the two lightsticks he and Jongdae had bought them, as consolation for the fact they hadn’t be allowed to attend EXO’rdium.

Lightsticks in hand she crawls back to her spot on the couch, hugged by Chanyeol’s arm, and hands one over to her younger brother. “Should we take a picture?” Daeul suggests, pouting as he turns the lightstick around to try and find the on button.

“I think taking a photo is a great idea.” Chanyeol agrees, taking the lightstick and turning it on before handing it back to Daeul. He pulls his phone from where it’s wedged between he and Dabin, quickly switching the camera so they don’t miss too much of the performance.

“One.” Daeul.

“Two.” Dabin.

“Three.” Chanyeol.

“Kim Chi.” Together.

Luckily they get a pretty good photo on the first try and they don’t miss any of the singing, just the opening instrumental.

Dabin squeals as Minseok and Baekhyun come on to screen but Daeul saves up his squeak for when Jongdae does his opening lines. Soon Chanyeol’s vision is marred by two blurring lightsticks, waving wildly enough that he can’t actually see the screen at all. “Guys! Do you want to take a photo making a heart when Appa comes on screen?” Two serious nods of agreement. “Okay! Hop in front of the TV, make the heart and Papa will take the photo from the couch when Appa comes on okay?” They scramble off the couch, almost as if it’s a race and fold their arms in the appropriate position for an overhead heart. One side is a little lopsided because of the size difference between them, but in Chanyeol’s opinion, as horrifically biased as it was, that just made it more adorable.

It takes a bit for just Jongdae to come back on the screen since a lot of the shots were of the group choreography, enough that Chanyeol can tell the kids are about to start complaining about sore arms, but he gets some good snaps. “You did well!! Good job guys. Appa will really like these photos.” They climb back to their spots beside him again, leaning in to get a quick look at his phone before turning their attention back to the TV to catch the end of the last verse and repeat of the chorus.

Off the top of his head, they’d seen all the acts who were due to perform today, so after CBX finished that meant that it was the— “AND NOW WE SEE WHO CAME FIRST!” first place announcement.

“If they weren’t versus Appa I would want TWICE to win.” Dabin says sagely, lightstick still tightly gripped in the hand that had been holding Chanyeol’s. Daeul nods his agreement before leaning back and resting his head on Chanyeol’s chest, eyes slipping a little with tiredness.

There’s the whole build up, the usual fare of music award shows that always just about gives Chanyeol a heart attack when he’s on them. It’s actually worse when he’s watching Jongdae without him. “Ooh guys, it looks close.” he remarks, trying to brace the kids in case they didn’t win this time either.

A tense air settles over them as they even lean forwards in their seats a little, bated breath waiting to be released in either relief or disappointment.

“Hey Mama! comes first for EXO-CBX’s first win!”

They don’t react to the announcement straight away, and it’s Dabin who snaps out of the stunned relief first. “APPA WON! APPA WON! PAPA! APPA WON!” In a move that she would probably regret later, she practically springs from Chanyeol’s side on to the floor between the TV and the couch. “APPA WON! DAEULLIE! APPA WON!”

Chanyeol is still in the middle of processing when Daeul too climbs from his side to start dancing with his sister in the space. It finally clicks for him when Jongdae steps forward, trophy in hand and thanks his family.

Then he remembers his promise. “Kids! We said we’d call Appa if he got his first win! How about we video call him? I bet he’d like to see how smiley we are!” Once again, shouts of agreement greet his ears before he pulls out his phone, tapping through to the video call app while he was rejoined on the couch.

It’s mildly amusing to watch Jongdae on the screen; the puzzled look as he feels his phone vibrate in his pocket, the soft smile as he sees who it is and his asking for the microphone back so he can explain.

Jongdae presses accept just as he starts speaking so there’s an odd moment where both the phone and the TV had same audio coming from them. “Ah, my family just video called me. If the camera wants to look there’s Chanyeollie, Dabin-ah and Daeullie. They couldn’t come today because our two little ones are sick and Yeollie stayed home to take care of them. He’s such a good dad, and he’s very good to me.”

Taking a moment to mute the TV Chanyeol turns back to smile at his phone, holding it high enough that no one is cut out of the shot. Jongdae’s actually holding the phone so it can face the camera so they give a wave with a helpful, “HELLO!” bellowed (with a rather crackly voice) from Daeul.

“Thank you for taking care of our Jongdae!” he calls out, making a quick heart sign for the fans before pulling Daeul a bit closer so he could stay in shot.

Dabin waves her lightstick in the shot before a, “THANK YOU FOR TAKING CARE OF MY APPA AND MINSEOKKIE AND BAEKHYUNNIE!” Chanyeol actually blushes as he realises he’d forgotten his friends but he sees on the TV that they wave off the omission with a shared look between them. It’s unfortunately one he’d seen a lot when he and Jongdae had first started dating — Chanyeol tends to get rather tunnel-visioned when he’s with someone and it was a habit that still slipped out occasionally.

“It has to be a short call because I have to get the kids tucked into bed—“

“NOOOooooOOooOOOOO”

“…but we called to say thank you to all the fans that made our Jongdae, Minseok-hyung, and Baekhyunnie smile today! Thank you for supporting them and EXO so well! We also called to say thank you to Minseok-hyung and Baekhyun for working so hard with our Jongdae, and being so amazing! You work very hard. And finally, we’re very proud of you Park Jongdae, you’ve come so far! I couldn’t be prouder to call you my husband and I don't think Daeul or Dabin could be prouder to call you Appa. I’ll always be cheering you on!”

He feels Dabin’s hand on his cheek before he realises he’s crying and that’s almost enough for Chanyeol to hang up the call in embarrassment because for godssake, he’s not even the one who won the award. “Thank you Chanyeol!” comes the chorus from behind Jongdae, Minseok and Baekhyun, who’s hands are resting on Jongdae’s shoulders.

A sniffing sound and for a second Chanyeol thinks that Jongdae is crying too before, “Papa, I think I should have blown my nose…” He looks to Daeul, the boy’s hand coming away from his nose with a healthy dose of snot stuck to it.

That was his cue to go. “We have to go! An emergency Papa situation has arisen but we love you Jongdae and CBX did amazing today! Congratulations on first place! Goodbye!” His voice is shaky with the unshed tears but he manages to hold on to them just fine, he’d embarrassed himself enough today.

He waits for the smile from his husband and a hushed, “Goodbye, I love you.” before hanging up the call and setting his phone down to tend to his son’s seriously snotty nose.

 

AN//

i'm setting up commissions because i am a poor university student and i want to not be poor!

commision me here